Page 1 of 2 1 2
oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! #4748414 11/14/13 04:49 PM
E
enock Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
I was leaving the lease last night when the neighbor met me at the gate. He asked how the hog hunting was going with all the dogs. What dogs? What hog hunting? He said there was a group out last night and it sounded like WWIII with all the shooting and dogs barking. Funny thing was when I was in the blind last night I HEARD a lot of dogs barking and raising hell but it sounded like the neighbors dogs. Now I'm pizzed, Called all the other hunters to check if they are hog hunting and all said no and nobody has been given permission. Went and talked with other neighbor and he said yes he's been hearing that alot at night. I have contacted the game warden and suppose to meet with him this afternoon. This year the deer have been turned completely off. Went from seeing a dozen at a time to 0. I hope they catch the SOB. I had this problem 3 years ago and actually caught them on my game cam. Turned over to game warden and they were caught! Turned out to be a ranch hand who thought he had hog hunting rights to the place. He was fired and faced fines. I hate poachers! Rant over, thanks..

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: enock] #4748437 11/14/13 04:53 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
bang

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: dogcatcher] #4748449 11/14/13 04:56 PM
B
Barcelona Rick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
bang

X2

rick

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Barcelona Rick] #4748560 11/14/13 05:26 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Dang frustrating.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: TxAg] #4748677 11/14/13 06:02 PM
B
Bowtech kid Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Hog dogs won't run the deer off ur place did it on my place for 3 year durning deer season to keep the hogs gone

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Bowtech kid] #4748747 11/14/13 06:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Bowtech kid
Hog dogs won't run the deer off ur place did it on my place for 3 year durning deer season to keep the hogs gone

They do around me. Their are also other dogs that are not hog dogs chasing deer from time to time. So when deer see or hear a dog they leave. Same with a coyote when they see one.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: stxranchman] #4749240 11/14/13 09:05 PM
T
TravisP Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Oh damn. Sorry about the dogs and the guns. Didnt think anyone was hunting out there.

Hunting in magnolia would be better in a gated community.
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Bowtech kid] #4749260 11/14/13 09:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Disagree. At the very least they make them leery and much harder to hunt. I mean,really, you think chasing,yapping, and fighting dogs along with a bunch of people trompimg around yelling and shooting is no problem for deer hunting?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4749274 11/14/13 09:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No hog dogger would ever tresspass rofl

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4750159 11/15/13 02:24 AM
E
enock Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
It has absolutely slowed down the hunting here. Was talking with guys on our lease a few days ago and all commented on not seeing the deer we used to. Most of them including myself are weekend hunters with an occasion weekday so the hog hunter probably knows this. Met with game warden and he is going to start watching the place for a while. Got his cell # and sheriff if he's out of pocket.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Bowtech kid] #4750200 11/15/13 02:42 AM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
[quote=Bowtech kid]Hog dogs won't run the deer off ur place did it on my place for 3 year durning deer season to keep the hogs gone [/quote
Disagree. That can ruin a lease.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: stxranchman] #4750274 11/15/13 03:01 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

They do around me. Their are also other dogs that are not hog dogs chasing deer from time to time. So when deer see or hear a dog they leave. Same with a coyote when they see one.
x2...These people that say dogs won't run off deer are either running them on LARGE pastures, say over 1000 acres, or they live in an alternate universe. Deer don't like dogs and vice versa. Heck, our deer didn't like cattle, much less dogs.

Last edited by Erathkid; 11/15/13 03:02 AM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Erathkid] #4750309 11/15/13 03:12 AM
B
Buckenvy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

x2...These people that say dogs won't run off deer are either running them on LARGE pastures, say over 1000 acres, or they live in an alternate universe. Deer don't like dogs and vice versa. Heck, our deer didn't like cattle, much less dogs.

This is true everywhere we ever hunted too...Deer don't like Hogs Dogs or cows

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Bowtech kid] #4750360 11/15/13 03:25 AM
F
fbchunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F

It can ruin a place as others have said, to the OP, i have found that most guys who run hog dogs think they can go wherever they want and wherever their dogs go. They try to go hunt hogs with dogs on 100 acres and end up on every property except the one they have permission to be on. They are not all like that but 90% of the ones i know or have hunted with the very few times i have been were this way.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Buckenvy] #4750386 11/15/13 03:32 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I have a worthless bro in law that does this hog dogging crud in Bandera. I asked him what does he do when the dogs cross the fence and he said " we follow them". I said, "well isn't that trespassing"? His comment was, "Well were doing them a favor by getting rid of the hogs". I'd like to see him get caught and charges pressed against him, I hate that kind of B.S.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: grout-scout] #4751022 11/15/13 02:30 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
I have a worthless bro in law that does this hog dogging crud in Bandera. I asked him what does he do when the dogs cross the fence and he said " we follow them". I said, "well isn't that trespassing"? His comment was, "Well were doing them a favor by getting rid of the hogs". I'd like to see him get caught and charges pressed against him, I hate that kind of B.S.

So do I last season he got my brother in law got obsessed with trapping on a lease we had and threw a fit when we made him stop for deer season and now the big deal is running dogs fortunately he knows better than to do it on my property. The dog hunters around here all think they are allowed to go on any property they want because their dogs go there, and I hear that lame argument all the time that dogs don't bother deer it is complete crap just like saying cattle, horses, joy riding on ATV's, or walking around while hunting doesn't bother deer of course it does. He got permission to hunt one of my other family places last year that we were sometimes hunting and started going out there with his friend and walking around in plain clothes with his rifle, that place went from being full of deer to no deer very quickly.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: fbchunter] #4751056 11/15/13 02:40 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: fbchunter
Hog dogs won't run the deer off ur place did it on my place for 3 year during deer season to keep the hogs gone

It can ruin a place as others have said, to the OP, i have found that most guys who run hog dogs think they can go wherever they want and wherever their dogs go. They try to go hunt hogs with dogs on 100 acres and end up on every property except the one they have permission to be on. They are not all like that but 90% of the ones i know or have hunted with the very few times i have been were this way.

That is the general consensus around here dog hunters think they can go wherever they want i have even had a few of them tell me they legally can to get their dogs! I have had a dog problem for years on my place because of a crazy neighbor who had countless dogs and he made death threats to anyone who would possibly shoot them, didn't stop me from popping a few. But every time you could bet he would be waiting on the road somewhere to gripe to me about someone shooting his dog even though he had no idea if one was shot or not. The policy on my place is if it's a dog or coyote of any kind it gets shot on sight if someone somehow finds out and gets mad too bad they should contain their animals to their own property. I don't spend countless hours and dollars to make my property good for hunting so something can screw it up.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: grout-scout] #4751342 11/15/13 04:19 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You can tell your BIL that's a good way to get shot.
We were sighting in rifles a couple weekends ago, 30.06, 7mm, and .308, just happened to stop to look for a box of ammo, then heard a bunch of dogs behind our target area. Turns out a neighboring rancher had turned his dogs loose to round up a stray bull that had come through onto our place. They didn't know we were shooting, and we didn't/couldn't see any of them. It could have been a really bad situation, completely unintentional on our part, but could have ended badly for them.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: TX_Huntress] #4751739 11/15/13 06:29 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've been hunting for 50+ years and believe me when I say that deer and dogs are not ever going to be a good combination.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: Jimbo] #4751827 11/15/13 07:03 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
the dogs may not be 'chasing' the deer, but the deer get the heck out of the way. I went on a hog hunt one evening with some guys and their dogs. No way would I want to try and deer hunt the same piece of ground. Dog's were everywhere and those guys drove trucks and ATV's everywhere BUT the roads. They simply used the GPS on the dogs and followed the trail.
Dogs + hogs = bad deer hunt

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: TX_Huntress] #4752659 11/16/13 01:27 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TX_Huntress
You can tell your BIL that's a good way to get shot.
We were sighting in rifles a couple weekends ago, 30.06, 7mm, and .308, just happened to stop to look for a box of ammo, then heard a bunch of dogs behind our target area. Turns out a neighboring rancher had turned his dogs loose to round up a stray bull that had come through onto our place. They didn't know we were shooting, and we didn't/couldn't see any of them. It could have been a really bad situation, completely unintentional on our part, but could have ended badly for them.

Oh this guy is too stupid to understand common sense like that! I do wish someone would file charges on him and his buddies, not to be an Ahole but that's just how I feel about it.

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: grout-scout] #4752712 11/16/13 01:43 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Going to be a fun thread when the dog runners find it. grin

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: aeb] #4752919 11/16/13 03:16 AM
B
browland1980 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I run hogs with dogs and yes my dogs do not know the property lines , but when bow season starts I put the dogs up until rifle season ends . I hunt deer just like all of you and would not want dogs run past my stand with that said I have my dogs trained to call off at the Sound of a gun shot they return to me so that takes care of the trespassing . I do not agree with run hogs where I don't have permission to hunt . Some hog doggers do have respect for other so don't put us all in the same group .

Last edited by browland1980; 11/16/13 03:17 AM.

Free Wild Hog Removal 817-980-8087
Take a kid hunting
feedem good hunt them hard
Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: browland1980] #4752963 11/16/13 03:28 AM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Just checked my game cameras. 2 of them have dogs. You can see the radio collars on the dogs so they are not just loose dogs. And no they do not have permission to be hunting. I will not say all hog doggers are bad but the majority ive met do not care where they run their dogs

Re: oh now I know why I'm not seeing deer! [Re: browland1980] #4752989 11/16/13 03:36 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: browland1980
I run hogs with dogs and yes my dogs do not know the property lines , but when bow season starts I put the dogs up until rifle season ends . I hunt deer just like all of you and would not want dogs run past my stand with that said I have my dogs trained to call off at the Sound of a gun shot they return to me so that takes care of the trespassing . I do not agree with run hogs where I don't have permission to hunt . Some hog doggers do have respect for other so don't put us all in the same group .

Glad to hear that some have ethics. up

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide