Forums46
Topics538,318
Posts9,735,759
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Sneaky] #4745886 11/13/13 08:22 PM
1riot1ranger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: JMalin
Meat hunters, do you process your own game? If not, do you take it to a processor skinned and quartered or just field dressed? I see lease costs getting cited all the time, but hear very little of hunting public lands/national forests (though most in the eastern portion of the state). The economics of "meat hunting" don't come out in ones favor if paying for feed through the hunting season, time and gas spent traveling to and from your hunting area, lease costs, license costs, paying someone else to process your deer, among the countless other costs associated with hunting.

Not all meat hunters do so for the cost savings.

Thats right. Cost savings is part of it but i got tired of wondering if I got all my meat back and if the meat I got back was actually what I left there. Quality control had as much to do with my decision as cost and now I wouldn't consider taking meat to a processor.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Sneaky] #4745888 11/13/13 08:22 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Meat hunters, do you process your own game? If not, do you take it to a processor skinned and quartered or just field dressed? I see lease costs getting cited all the time, but hear very little of hunting public lands/national forests (though most in the eastern portion of the state). The economics of "meat hunting" don't come out in ones favor if paying for feed through the hunting season, time and gas spent traveling to and from your hunting area, lease costs, license costs, paying someone else to process your deer, among the countless other costs associated with hunting.

Why do they do it then? Don't say cause deer is so much better tasting then cows, cause you can buy deer whole cheaper then hunting them.

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DSST_Construction] #4745894 11/13/13 08:25 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction

Why do they do it then? Don't say cause deer is so much better tasting then cows, cause you can buy deer whole cheaper then hunting them.

I like knowing that my food had a life and wasn't raised in a pen, but that's just me. Definitely is NOT more economical. I spend probably 50-60% of my income on this darn hunting habbit.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: fowlplayr] #4745898 11/13/13 08:25 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Inbred deer...likely a 5yo.
Curly gets his deer imported from Arkansas. confused2

dog gone it quit pickin on me! wife

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DSST_Construction] #4745899 11/13/13 08:26 PM
J
jseago Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Why do people aways say there near hunters? As much money as it cost to go hunting, you can just go buy the meat a heck if a lot cheaper.

People that hunt usually are not hunting because they don't have dinner and need meat on the table or they will starve. Some people just shoot to feel as if the got there money's worth.

All said and done, if you are on a lease any every shoots anything walking fine do it. But if your on a lease and your trying to manage the herd then still to the plan.

If all the other hunters were not to happy about it, it's problby cause they are trying to manage the herd. Who knows. Also if it was a fawn, there really isn't that much meat on them. Why not wait for another deer.

sent from my iPhone

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DSST_Construction] #4745901 11/13/13 08:26 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

It's a better meat. Not in taste, but in health. Also, hunters like to hunt. Providing meat for their family gives them a reason to hunt. Everyone has their own reasons, and believe it or not, it isn't always about antlers.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: jseago] #4745906 11/13/13 08:27 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: jseago
Why do people aways say there near hunters? As much money as it cost to go hunting, you can just go buy the meat a heck if a lot cheaper.

People that hunt usually are not hunting because they don't have dinner and need meat on the table or they will starve. Some people just shoot to feel as if the got there money's worth.

All said and done, if you are on a lease any every shoots anything walking fine do it. But if your on a lease and your trying to manage the herd then still to the plan.

If all the other hunters were not to happy about it, it's problby cause they are trying to manage the herd. Who knows. Also if it was a fawn, there really isn't that much meat on them. Why not wait for another deer.

sent from my iPhone

Yes, but in what language?

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: jseago] #4745911 11/13/13 08:28 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think a lot has to do where people hunt, some people so 20+ deer a sitting while some people don't see a deer all season.

Then again along of people that don't see a deer all season shoot anything that walks out and wonders why they never have good number of deer at there place.

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: jseago] #4745925 11/13/13 08:30 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I manage my deer. In my freezer...ground venison on one side of it, venison steaks and roasts in the middle, chili meat on the other side, backstraps and tenerloins usually never make the freezer. grin food

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Curly] #4745958 11/13/13 08:37 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: Curly
I manage my deer. In my freezer...ground venison on one side of it, venison steaks and roasts in the middle, chili meat on the other side, backstraps and tenerloins usually never make the freezer. grin food
bs You never see anything legal to shoot. clap

Ok...I'm done nut-kicking you for today. peep

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: fowlplayr] #4745983 11/13/13 08:45 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Originally Posted By: Curly
bs You never see anything legal to shoot. clap

Ok...I'm done nut-kicking you for today. peep

that was back in the day you bully wink

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: dogcatcher] #4746005 11/13/13 09:07 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: don k
Meat hunters, do you process your own game? If not, do you take it to a processor skinned and quartered or just field dressed?
I do my own.

Same here.

same.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: stxranchman] #4746131 11/13/13 09:46 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
What you killed was a 1.5 yr old spike. He would be a spike if he was 1.5 yrs old with spikes that just broke the skin or they were 12" long. Nubbin bucks are .5 yrs old with velvet nubs and maybe cartlage showing late in the season. The way I view it is that is was a mouth off the range. If you have to many deer then it was a good thing no matter how old it was. [/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out. I have been reading this post and trying to figure out how a "nubbin buck" had anything more than .5" bumps that are still covered in velvet. I watched one last weekend that fit that description exactly and he is what I refer to as a nubbin buck. If he has antler showing it's a spike IMO.

Arkansas, really Arkansas? Guess I should have read a little more of the post...Arkansas WTH this is the TEXAS hunting forum. If your hunting out of the country at least tell us!

Last edited by 7ARanch; 11/13/13 10:34 PM. Reason: New Info

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: 7ARanch] #4746198 11/13/13 10:20 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Damn is this thread ever gonna end!? I kill dove cuz I like their wings.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DSST_Construction] #4746204 11/13/13 10:21 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Why do people aways say they're meat hunters? As much money as it cost to go hunting, you can just go buy the meat a heck of a lot cheaper.

As for my comment earlier about my uncle, he hunts Sam Houston and Davy Crockett National Forests, and family property. So yes, it is a HUGE money savings up also, he is feeding himself, his wife, daughter, and 3 grand kids with his $48 permit and I'll be danged if you'll ever convince anyone that it isn't cheaper grin

also, if you're on a timber company lease, depending where you're at, it could be $600 (granted you have hunters every 300 yards, but I digress) if you limit out and it's not against lease rules...then yes, it is still cheaper

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: TheCloudX] #4746210 11/13/13 10:22 PM
H
H-Town Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I really dont get this. there are plenty of does you can shoot. if your a meat hunter, then shoot does.

God Bless
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: H-Town Hunter] #4746224 11/13/13 10:26 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: PaulZ2
I really dont get this. there are plenty of does you can shoot. if your a meat hunter, then shoot does.

Bucks are made of meat, too.

Now you know.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Sneaky] #4746241 11/13/13 10:33 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Bucks are made of meat, too.

Now you know.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Sneaky] #4746251 11/13/13 10:36 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
popcorn rifle deer boxing

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: TheCloudX] #4746325 11/13/13 11:04 PM
M
Milam Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I've shot one when I was a kid after thinking it was a doe. When I woke up the next morning the guys at camp shot a jack rabbit and skinned it out next to my little deer on the hanging rack. That dang thing was just about as big as the deer.

Looks like there are a bunch on replies to this but only cared to read the first page. Now you know what the guys in camp don't like so try to keep the peace and don't do it again if you don't like the way they responded.

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: Milam] #4746464 11/13/13 11:50 PM
D
DocJatTTU Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Well I am going to talk to the guys at the lease and try to set things back to right. I do not want any bad blood at the camp. The camp to me is supposed to be a place where we hunters go for fellowship and camaraderie. I hope that after we sit down like men and talk about it over a few cold beverages any bad blood can be done away with. I appreciate all the discussion here on both sides of the argument. Anyhow for those of you headed to the woods this weekend good hunting and good luck. Lets kill this thread now!

Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DocJatTTU] #4746491 11/14/13 12:00 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Nubbin bucks make a nice shoulder mount and conversation piece.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DSST_Construction] #4746494 11/14/13 12:00 AM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Well, I have a different spin on hunting. For me, it is about the meat-although I'm essentially vegetarian due to stomach problems, and diet management is better than taking medicine.

The deer I take are used to feed others. For some, wild game is a novelty they might want to try. For others, it augments groceries on a fixed income-and these folks would not take kindly to dropping off HEB gift cards or packages of store-bought meat. Indeed, it seems less like charity when you're perceived as sharing the bounty of your hunt. We all know the economics of game hunting seldom make fiscal sense, but the pleasure many get from one deer makes up for it.

And I'll give you another example. Mankind has made chaos out of order in the natural scheme of things regarding wildlife. As such, deer (in this case) have to be somewhat managed to co-exist with man. And hunting is part of it. So I do my small part to keep numbers within a level of viability for the good of the deer. I would rather take a deer than see it hit on the highway, which I grant you may happen, anyway.

Core-Lokt:The deadliest mushroom in the woods
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: DocJatTTU] #4746495 11/14/13 12:01 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DocJatTTU
Well I am going to talk to the guys at the lease and try to set things back to right. I do not want any bad blood at the camp. The camp to me is supposed to be a place where we hunters go for fellowship and camaraderie. I hope that after we sit down like men and talk about it over a few cold beverages any bad blood can be done away with. I appreciate all the discussion here on both sides of the argument. Anyhow for those of you headed to the woods this weekend good hunting and good luck. Lets kill this thread now!

Good move...hope they can move on up

I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Shot a button buck...got treated like I farted in church [Re: H-Town Hunter] #4746506 11/14/13 12:04 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

No your wrong. Not everyone hunts where you see lots of does. I hunted in east Texas where you only get a two week doe season and never saw a doe during that time. Luckily a lot of 1.5 year old deer are spikes out there or we would have taken no deer.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide