Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Ben Lilly] #4740079 11/12/13 12:46 AM
G
geotro Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Speaking of Barnies. I had a group of hunters that set up about 50yards outside of my decoy spread. About 20 minutes before shooting hours, I noticed them so I walked over and invited them to join me in my blind since 1) they set up on top of me and 2) I was a lone hunter. Well they said they were gonna move so I let them be and I went back to the blind. Well right at shooting hours I heard someone hammering on a duck call and by all means it didn't sound like any duck I've heard. The worst part was it sounded like it was near where they were. Well I ignored it and started to work a group coming in from the north. Right as they made their final pass I heard the sound of shot raining through the bushes and 9 shots. Come to find out they never moved. So I walked back over kind of made and gave them the how stupid can you be speach. They didn't like it so the talk ended with them saying it's public land and they can hunt wherever they want. Needless to say they used my calling and decoys to kill 1 out of 90 birds. Their shooting skills were so bad they probably shot 3 boxes of shells. To make matters worse they were sky busting and shooting at pelicans and seagulls. I would have to say the absolute worse thing about all of this is they were grown adults.

Moral of the story is you can't fix stupid and no one wants to ask for help.

2013/2014 official count
9 GWT 21 mal 6 pin 13 wid
12 gad 9 shov 13 red 1 Buffy
2 scaup 10 blacks 5 BWT
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: bobcatt] #4740085 11/12/13 12:48 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bobcatt
I've been hunting ducks since I was 3-4 yrs old, 32 now. problem is, I just started hunting public for the first time and it's a whole new ball game. the posts here are beneficial to teach new hunters/new public hunters what not to do. most is common sense however...

Hey that's what it's all about. Barney stories teach everyone good hunting etiquette. There are nice Barney's (normally a new guy learning the ropes, these are cool Barney's) and the arse hole Barney's, those that could careless about other hunters, self centered jerks.

But if you hunt public, to me it is silly to get worked up over Barney, it's public, if you can't laugh about a Barney experience you should probably stick to private.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Ben Lilly] #4740087 11/12/13 12:49 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
BS aside and to address the original topic. The fact is barnies and topwaters have always been around, no more, no less, and that will never change. The culture of Barneyphobia does amaze me though. Why fear the purple dinosaurs. Barney is just a fat guy in a purple dinosaur suit. Do not let him creep into your duck hunting. There are no purple dinosaurs in every duck blind, hiding in layouts, driving airboats, and dancing in the decoys singing "I love you, you love me". There are only duck hunters. Hunters that are no better or worse than anyone else. The phobia is a sickness. Do not let it turn you into a topwater. Return from the madness and remember what was important about duck hunting.

"I pity the duck hunter who goes for ducks alone. I pity the duck hunter who
has not filled his being the dawn magic. I pity the one who cares not, or
knows not, what he has killed...There is a great deceit in duck hunting by
which men count their sport in terms of 'limit bags' and 'good shooting.' Be
not fooled. These same men would great the rising sun in season though they
knew their chances of killing even a single duck were very, very poor
indeed."
Gordon MacQuarrie "The Bluebills Died at Dawn" December 1937 Field and
Stream.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Sniper John] #4740181 11/12/13 01:14 AM
Streater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
In SW Louisiana, they call Barneys/Topwaters, "Frenchmen".

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Sniper John] #4740206 11/12/13 01:22 AM
L
Labman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Where is One Year Wonder when you need him.

Originally Posted by TractorTek/RedNek
Jager is like liquid xanax. Wake up looking like you fell in a tiger exhibit and crawled through a leech filled swamp to get out.
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Streater] #4740228 11/12/13 01:27 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Ok, BS aside, Really this time.
People often post about what makes one a barney and the unwritten rules and etiquette everyone should follow. Yea right. In a perfect world maybe. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Expect the barney. Or topwater if you wish. Figure them into your scouting. If it was easy to get there and everyone can see what you see, the barney saw it too. Just because it is etiquette, don't expect everyone will follow it. There are both those barnies who don't know better and those topwaters that don't care. If your hunting 100 yards from the easy access point, the barney will come sure as a wind change will come with a front. Plan for it. Just because you set up there at 3 am when the wind was at your back, there is nothing you can do to stop the wind if it changes at 7 am. If barney got up late, picked up his buddies, drove an hour or two and arrived at 7 am and has no alternate plan, he is going to crowd you and try to hunt. He will not turn around and go home. You can take that to the bank. If your in a spot barney frequents which is just about everywhere on a public hunting area, either plan for barney in advance or have a change in plan ready if barney shows up. Just as you would for a wind change. Hunting pressure should be number one on your list of things to consider when scouting.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Ben Lilly] #4740262 11/12/13 01:36 AM
M
Muddyfoot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I don't post up on Barney and Topwater post because I also think those post are Like "Chad Belding " post.

Now some guys do have very good points about what goes on, on public lakes and I too hate that, like Hail calls, shooting in the back ground when you got a group of birds working, or the infamous walk in hunter 5 min before leagal, but that's the chance we take on public.

But I vote to stop the Barney and Topwater terms and post up more good tips on etiquette. If we take the time and use the internet to teach maybe a few of them will pick up and learn and change their amateur ways.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Labman] #4740342 11/12/13 01:56 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Labman

He doesn't know anything about hunting public, he hunts private pin raised mallards.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Guy] #4740367 11/12/13 02:01 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
rofl

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Guy] #4740421 11/12/13 02:09 AM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I like Muddyfoot's idea. I've hunted public for over 40 years and have NO Barney/Topwater stories to tell. I've flashed and been flashed off a spot. Good God have some backup plans!!! It's PUBLIC! I need some young guys to help w/the load of work that goes w/duck hunting, so bring the F.N.G. on!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Guy] #4740444 11/12/13 02:13 AM
L
Labman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Guy

He doesn't know anything about hunting public, he hunts private pin raised mallards.

Found this jewel.
Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder
Originally Posted By: Moose K
Post the picture Wonder.

.........if you insist:

Jager is like liquid xanax. Wake up looking like you fell in a tiger exhibit and crawled through a leech filled swamp to get out.
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Labman] #4740500 11/12/13 02:26 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Guy

Found this jewel.
Originally Posted By: Moose K
Post the picture Wonder.

.........if you insist:

roflmao flag

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4740524 11/12/13 02:32 AM
M
Muddyfoot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
^^^^^^^ Now that's just criminal!

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Muddyfoot] #4740544 11/12/13 02:39 AM
L
Labman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
After all the bs earlier, had to throw in something funny. I love his epic Topwater posts, this only seems fitting.

...........Seent this on another forum and thought I'd post it here for all you public huntin topwaters.

Memorize these rules. There will be a test.

"In many respects, hunter etiquette can make or break the quality of shooting on public areas. If all hunters would observe the following rules, ducks would work in tighter, shots would be closer, and the pleasures of this sport would be more widely shared by all. Everything you learned in kindergarten about getting along with others applies in the duck blind, too.

1. Don’t encroach on someone else’s spot. If they got there first, go find another hole.

2. Quit calling when ducks are working another hunter’s spread. If he has their attention, let him have them.

3. Don’t be a sky-buster. Avoid taking shots that are at marginal range. Sky-busting is unsporting, and it results in too many cripples that aren’t recovered.

4. Don’t block boat ramps or parking areas any longer than necessary. Be ready to launch with all your gear loaded in, plug installed and straps undone when it’s your turn to launch.

5. Be respectful of hunters in boats with less horsepower than you have. When passing another boat, ease around it with as little wake as possible. Don’t shine a spotlight in another boat driver’s eyes.

6. Don’t violate a friend’s trust. If he takes you to a secret spot on a public area, don’t go back there without his knowledge or permission. And never take others there.

7. Remember that the Golden Rule certainly applies to hunting on public areas. In all regards, treat others as you would like to be treated. Such respectful behavior will translate into better hunting and greater pleasures for all who must share an area."

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Ben Lilly] #4740650 11/12/13 03:04 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
Originally Posted By: garrett
I think the help is there, its just how people approach that help. Everyone I know is helpful and will share tricks and ideas all day long.

You just cant learn from the internet, you have to put in field time. Look at old Rooster, he just started duck hunting last year and he is spending a lot of time in the field making things happen. Heck he booked 26 hunts from a guy, that's called learning the ropes right there. I dont know the dude personally but it seems like he has been networking.

duck hunting is like sales, its all about the networking

LOL, it was 6 group hunts...but thanks I think. I hunt a lot by myself. I try a lot of stuff I read on here...some works and some doesn't. I hunt 4-5 days a week and its a blast. I'm fortunate to be able to hunt a lot, a wife that is cool with it, a dog that fetches birds and the means to do it. It may take a few years to get the hang of it but I'm having a blast.

A dog that barks a lot in your car, destroying your leather seats to the bone while we are desperately trying to decoy banded wigeons in our spread.

Sorry, had to throw it in there...

Last edited by beaversnipe; 11/12/13 03:10 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Navasot] #4740843 11/12/13 04:03 AM
3 shots 1 kill. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Navasot

this has been going on for a while... brainwashed it seems

rofl
can I be barney next? He sounds like a hail of a guy.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: 3 shots 1 kill.] #4741381 11/12/13 01:54 PM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I guess I can't call you macgruber anymore. Got to call you crusader now. Or big buck killer.

Hey our topwater buddy is on lake X right now. I hope he does not wind up driftin again.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Gacman] #4742343 11/12/13 06:55 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I thought when you say "barney" you were referring

to this guy:

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Gengo] #4742399 11/12/13 07:10 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Gengo
Could be the extreme lack of help for any newbie seeking help on the internet. I think what the old timers aren't realizing is that the younger folks don't get the information you have acquired over decades of hunting because nobody is willing to share that information. Now they are left on their own to figure it out when another hunter can easily try to help them. I'm not talking about on a forum but in your local hunting hole since what's successful in your area probably isn't in my area. So they will continue to be "barnies" until they either figure it out (maybe many, many years later) or someone takes some time to show them the ropes.

And I would bet that every duck hunter has done something stupid while duck hunting. I know I have.

I'm not sure I've ever been on a duck hunt without doing SOMETHING stupid...

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: GriffGruff78] #4742409 11/12/13 07:12 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

Great point, this applies to everyone regardles of experience level.

Last edited by agsellers04; 11/12/13 07:12 PM.
Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: agsellers04] #4742543 11/12/13 07:47 PM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: agsellers04
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78

Great point, this applies to everyone regardles of experience level.

ya me too. Another trend I've noticed is the dallas cowboys aka "bottomboys" as I call them, continue to get worse and worse with each passing week. That's a whole team of barneys, frenchmen, and topwaters.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Gacman] #4742819 11/12/13 09:11 PM
W
wcbillcollector Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Maybe you all should start a "Barney Brigade", and help those pour fellers out. We can start with a north Texas chapter. :-)

T

Last edited by wcbillcollector; 11/12/13 09:15 PM.

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: wcbillcollector] #4744566 11/13/13 01:12 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Last weekend I set my entire spread up for a left-right crosswind instead of the right-left crosswind that we had...didn't realize it until 10 min before LST and had to move em real quick jerk cord and all

Re: I have noticed a trend [Re: Ramball36] #4744890 11/13/13 03:08 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Imagine a new guy coming on here who's real name is Barney.

To be determined
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide