Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: Gacman] #4741343 11/12/13 01:40 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gacman
on male cranes you have to eat the balls.

I thought this answer was PDF! rofl

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: fgdn] #4741468 11/12/13 02:26 PM
3 shots 1 kill. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: fgdn
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Are we talking whooping crane or sandhill? The law varies a little bit...

this has got to be the best answer of the bunch

(law varies a LITTLE BIT)

up

that was a great laugh

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: 3 shots 1 kill.] #4741614 11/12/13 03:15 PM
T
talonss Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
roflmao hammer

Dove-82..teal-21...pintail-1...tree duck-1...mallard-1
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: 3 shots 1 kill.] #4741631 11/12/13 03:20 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I think the guy has raised a legitimate question about the interpretation of wanton waste. It is better for him to inquire about it if he is not sure so you guys just look silly giving him sarcastic and uninformative replies. You aren't funny.

I did some research to help clarify for you.

"Wanton Waste" definition in TPWD Migratory Bird Digest reads as follows:

"A reasonable effort must be made to retrieve any killed or wounded birds and any wounded bird retrieved must be immediately killed and made a part of the bag limit. After retention, the birds must be kept in an edible condition fit for human consumption." Once you get the bords to your place of residence/ final destination, you may do with them as you please. For example, in the case of taxidermy, the bird is not eaten, but this is completely legal.

Wanton waste is a widely used legal term usually applicable to hunting and game. In your case, this basically means dont leave the birds laying out on the water or in the sun to spoil, don't mutilate or otherwise destroys the bird to a point where it is unfit for human consumtion.

You did right, you were completely legal. Thanks for asking and showing concern for the law.

Last edited by agsellers04; 11/12/13 03:22 PM.
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: agsellers04] #4742536 11/12/13 07:45 PM
texretvet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
This is why I stay away from the bird section.

By the way, what lake did you shoot the crane at?

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: texretvet] #4742582 11/12/13 08:01 PM
I
ImBillT Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: texretvet
This is why I stay away from the bird section.

By the way, what lake did you shoot the crane at?

I have read enough to know that naming lakes here is bad. Lol. It wasn't a lake. I got a farmer buddy that was covered in em last year. Not too many this year.

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: ImBillT] #4742596 11/12/13 08:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
rolleyes

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: agsellers04] #4742612 11/12/13 08:09 PM
I
ImBillT Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: agsellers04
I think the guy has raised a legitimate question about the interpretation of wanton waste. It is better for him to inquire about it if he is not sure so you guys just look silly giving him sarcastic and uninformative replies. You aren't funny.

"A reasonable effort must be made to retrieve any killed or wounded birds and any wounded bird retrieved must be immediately killed and made a part of the bag limit. After retention, the birds must be kept in an edible condition fit for human consumption." Once you get the bords to your place of residence/ final destination, you may do with them as you please. For example, in the case of taxidermy, the bird is not eaten, but this is completely legal.

Wanton waste is a widely used legal term usually applicable to hunting and game. In your case, this basically means dont leave the birds laying out on the water or in the sun to spoil, don't mutilate or otherwise destroys the bird to a point where it is unfit for human consumtion.

You did right, you were completely legal. Thanks for asking and showing concern for the law.

Thank you for the honest answer. Once informed the rest of the answers are funnier, but I was impressed with just how quickly the jokes poured in. Your answer is still leaves me with a question. So I took it to work, breasted it, shared it with the guys, and left the carcass in the truck bed till 5pm. Could a GW get me for wasting the rest since I wasn't at home? Sorry to be so finicky. I've never once seen a GW while hunting and have always just operated on common sense, but I got checked out by a trooper making sure I wasn't trespassing the day before, and he warned me that GW was working the area hard. That just got me a little worried, and I wanted to be 100% legit in case the trooper told the GW where to check. Laws don't always follow conning sense, so I wanted to cover my butt.

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: ImBillT] #4742639 11/12/13 08:16 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
The wanton waste definition refers to the care of the bird in the field. After that, its up to you what to do with it. If you breasted it out and were carrying around in your truck to show your buddies its really no different than carrying a caped deer around to show your buddies. You weren't breaking the law unless you don't have a hunting license.

Last edited by agsellers04; 11/12/13 08:18 PM.
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: ImBillT] #4742674 11/12/13 08:26 PM
S
Scott McIntyre Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: ImBillT

Thank you for the honest answer. Once informed the rest of the answers are funnier, but I was impressed with just how quickly the jokes poured in. Your answer is still leaves me with a question. So I took it to work, breasted it, shared it with the guys, and left the carcass in the truck bed till 5pm. Could a GW get me for wasting the rest since I wasn't at home? Sorry to be so finicky. I've never once seen a GW while hunting and have always just operated on common sense, but I got checked out by a trooper making sure I wasn't trespassing the day before, and he warned me that GW was working the area hard. That just got me a little worried, and I wanted to be 100% legit in case the trooper told the GW where to check. Laws don't always follow conning sense, so I wanted to cover my butt.

I would say that since your intent was to take the bird to your work and share the breast meat that would be your final destination.

This is just my 2 cents and here we can't hunt cranes.

Bacon the duct tape of meat
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: Gacman] #4742681 11/12/13 08:27 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gacman
on male cranes you have to eat the balls.

this is why I started shooting hens only

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: ImBillT] #4742727 11/12/13 08:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: ImBillT

Becareful, state to state definitions vary. Some states you will get a ticket if you leave leg/thigh meat.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4742776 11/12/13 08:56 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Well look who finally surfaces, Bobo the Clown. Tell me you were not on flooded river X this last weekend.

Last edited by wal1809; 11/12/13 08:57 PM.
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: wal1809] #4742823 11/12/13 09:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Well look who finally surfaces, Bobo the Clown. Tell me you were not on flooded river X this last weekend.

Nope, was shooting lead this weekend. I normaly don't start slinging steel tell after Oklahoma split

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: ImBillT] #4742831 11/12/13 09:16 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If it's a white crane ya BETTER eat the whole thing !

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4743004 11/12/13 10:02 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Becareful, state to state definitions vary. Some states you will get a ticket if you leave leg/thigh meat.

Yes, true, Montana for instance. Everywhere is different. I was speaking of the TPWD definition and Texas law.

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: agsellers04] #4743311 11/13/13 12:01 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
They have to make it legal not to eat bird kills because ducks are just plain NASTY!

[Linked Image]
Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: Nathan at Fork] #4743323 11/13/13 12:04 AM
L
Leever Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I have the same problem when I eat coons. I can't stomach any part.

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: jdk1985] #4743678 11/13/13 02:08 AM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
ROFLMFAO, Really !!!!

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: fgdn] #4745153 11/13/13 04:35 PM
Buckenvy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: fgdn
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Are we talking whooping crane or sandhill? The law varies a little bit...

this has got to be the best answer of the bunch

(law varies a LITTLE BIT)

up

roflmao

Re: Waste of game question??? [Re: agsellers04] #4750586 11/15/13 04:41 AM
I
ImBillT Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I
The wanton waste definition refers to the care of the bird in the field. After that, its up to you what to do with it. If you breasted it out and were carrying around in your truck to show your buddies its really no different than carrying a caped deer around to show your buddies. You weren't breaking the law unless you don't have a hunting license.

Awesome. Thanks.

I appreciate the serious answers and enjoyed the comedic ones. Gonna see if I can knock off another before work in the AM

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide