Print Thread
One more weekend and still no deer #4735147 11/10/13 05:06 AM
C
Cyber Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I have not gotten a deer in over 10 years. Not for a lack of trying. Lots of time hunting public land and the occasional lease. I have shot lots of rabbits, ducks, squirrels, and a few nutria, just no deer. Spent one season watching doe's graze in a county where I could not shoot doe's. Even had a nice 8 point buck two years ago who figured out the one place he could stand that I would not shoot him. That would be right between me and my truck.

This year it was going to be different. I bought land, no more leasing and no more public land. I set up my feeder and cameras, even put up a makeshift blind for this first season.
I have been encouraged by pictures from my cameras like These
(The camera is 50 yards down from the feeder)

(More at http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Cyberlink3/library/deer)

Watched three doe's and a buck come to the feeder on Friday before opening day. Then opening weekend, nothing. Not a single deer to be seen anywhere. Ill take the blame on that one, I was sleeping in the truck and got up at 3am to shake the dew from the lilly. Forgot that the alarm on the thing auto arms when the doors are locked and set it off. I am guessing I scared them off.

Today I get there early, set up and wait. All day watching the feeder. Nothing comes for the morning throw, nothing comes for the evening throw. Puzzled, I walk down and check to make sure the corn is still there and I did not fall asleep or miss them some how. Once I saw there was a couple of days of corn on the ground I decided to collect the camera pictures and see what when on over the last week. Maybe there is a reason they did not show up. I am thinking poachers or maybe some kids running through on 4 wheelers.

To my surprise, I find the following on the card when I get back to the house.

That last picture was taken 20min before I checked the camera!

Guess I need to get a predator call and take this guy out. (I hear they taste good)

Re: One more weekend and still no deer [Re: Cyber] #4735180 11/10/13 05:32 AM
L
longhorn3454 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Hey all you can do is continue to hunt. We all have gone through our stretches of zeros. Right now the pressure on the deer is heating up and their gonna be nocturnal till the rut starts. Also, if your in an area that's gotten rain there may be some natural food that their eating and not coming to the feeder. Just keep at it keep your head up and it'll happen.

By the way IMHO bobcat is horrible. But I'd still take it down given the opportunity.

Re: One more weekend and still no deer [Re: longhorn3454] #4735189 11/10/13 05:38 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hope for the best, tomorrow is a new day. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: One more weekend and still no deer [Re: dogcatcher] #4739761 11/11/13 11:04 PM
C
Cyber Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Thanks for the words. Sometimes it just feels good to write it out, kind of get it off my chest and let it go wink It will happen, now that I own the land I have all the time in the world.

Re: One more weekend and still no deer [Re: Cyber] #4739883 11/11/13 11:46 PM
E
enock Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Hang in there. My first 5 years of hunting was horrible. Had deer on camera but never saw them. I thought I wasn't cut out for hunting! That was 20 years ago and I've had some GREAT years and some zero deer years. This year is looking pretty grim so far. Nothing is coming out at all. BUT I dearly enjoy being out here and absolutely love it!

Re: One more weekend and still no deer [Re: enock] #4740261 11/12/13 01:36 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Looks like you're in east Texas. Lots of natural food out there right now. Feeders aren't really your best bet in east Texas. Food plots seem to work better IMO. After this weeks killing frost my guess is that you'll see more deer. Keep after it. up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide