Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,535
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: six_anthonys] #4711973 11/01/13 08:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: six_anthonys
If you were looking to spend $300,000 within 4 hours of DFW. Where would you look to buy land for hunting and appreciation? Thanks for the guidance.

McCulloch or San Saba County would be a starting location.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: stxranchman] #4712193 11/01/13 10:45 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you were looking to spend $300,000 within 4 hours of DFW. Where would you look to buy land for hunting and appreciation? Thanks for the guidance.

is that recommendation for hunting or appreciation? or both?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: jshouse] #4712229 11/01/13 11:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Both if you get it in the right location at a good price.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: stxranchman] #4713050 11/02/13 01:07 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
This thread reminds me of all the investment seminars I get invited to and occasionally attend. All that is discussed is the ease of investment, possible returns, and the promise of gold at the end of the rainbow. Don't buy into the B.S. of real estate agents and "investment" brokers. All they are after at the end of the day is their commission. Land prices have more than likely peaked and will remain stagnant for a little while longer with the possibility of depreciating far exceeding it's chance of appreciating once inflation really hits, which I should mention, is inevitable. This QE crap isn't going to last forever. Needless to say, only invest in land that you can afford, and by doing so won't risk your family's well being. Life is unpredictable and should you ever need money fast, one of the worst places for your money is in land that 1)usually takes a while to sell, 2)the broker's fees your out when selling, which are usually 6%, 3)the closing costs, surveys, etc. 4)taxes (1031 isn't going to save you if you need the money for something other than real estate), 5)Your at the mercy of the market at the time you need the cash 6) All of the property taxes and unpredictable costs of maintaining your property. Basically these are all things one needs to sit down and consider before falling into Ponzi Schemes that often fail to paint the whole picture.

Shotgun, rifle, and a four wheel drive
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: Deer Slayer] #4713087 11/02/13 01:26 PM
armadillophil Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I have bought 3 recreational properties. I sold one and still own other two. You make your money when buying not selling. Most of the ranches on lands of texas are overpriced. If you find an area you like get out there and talk to neighbors, watch craigslist and newspapers.

Farm, Ranch and Recreational Land Sales in Texas and Oklahoma.
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: Deer Slayer] #4713129 11/02/13 01:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Deer Slayer
This thread reminds me of all the investment seminars I get invited to and occasionally attend. All that is discussed is the ease of investment, possible returns, and the promise of gold at the end of the rainbow. Don't buy into the B.S. of real estate agents and "investment" brokers. All they are after at the end of the day is their commission. Land prices have more than likely peaked and will remain stagnant for a little while longer with the possibility of depreciating far exceeding it's chance of appreciating once inflation really hits, which I should mention, is inevitable. This QE crap isn't going to last forever. Needless to say, only invest in land that you can afford, and by doing so won't risk your family's well being. Life is unpredictable and should you ever need money fast, one of the worst places for your money is in land that 1)usually takes a while to sell, 2)the broker's fees your out when selling, which are usually 6%, 3)the closing costs, surveys, etc. 4)taxes (1031 isn't going to save you if you need the money for something other than real estate), 5)Your at the mercy of the market at the time you need the cash 6) All of the property taxes and unpredictable costs of maintaining your property. Basically these are all things one needs to sit down and consider before falling into Ponzi Schemes that often fail to paint the whole picture.

now i feel like going and kicking some rocks down the road...

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: Deer Slayer] #4713478 11/02/13 05:02 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Have you ever bought and sold ranch land?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: jshouse] #4713481 11/02/13 05:05 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jshouse

San Saba is a great county

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: txtrophy85] #4713500 11/02/13 05:19 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Buy land where everyone else wants to buy land. Then you will make some money. Guess that was stating the obvious. grin

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: stxranchman] #4713741 11/02/13 08:19 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
No Brandon. The ethical thing to do is tell your client that there are two people interested and let your client make those decisions. Obviously you are ethically challenged. Don't beat yourself up though, most rea's are.

And deer slayer, you can nay say all you want, but I'm living proof you're wrong if you do your homework and invest wisely. I sell about half of my ranches myself btw. It's real easy today.

Last edited by therancher; 11/03/13 12:03 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: therancher] #4713752 11/02/13 08:26 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
this place is great

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: jshouse] #4714341 11/03/13 01:18 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Were most of these purchases 10% or 20% down?

I found a really nice place that I could maybe swing but 20% down is a deal breaker.

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: GusWayne] #4715263 11/03/13 02:50 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: procraft05
Were most of these purchases 10% or 20% down?

I found a really nice place that I could maybe swing but 20% down is a deal breaker.

All my land purchases are for 20 or 20+% down. There are several reasons lending institution use that as a rule. Probably the most important reason is to attempt to determine if you have the self discipline to service that note.

Nothing against you or anyone else, but if you can't come up with 20% down, there's a good chance you'd struggle with the note.

That said, I short term borrowed from my dad to make my bank account look better on the first ranch I financed. Gave him the money back as soon as the loan went thru. There are more than one way to skin cats.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: txtrophy85] #4715413 11/03/13 03:52 PM
D
Deer Slayer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I would be willing to bet that I have bought more land than you will ever trade in 30 years, if not your lifetime.

Shotgun, rifle, and a four wheel drive
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: Deer Slayer] #4715567 11/03/13 05:04 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I would be willing to bet that I have bought more land than you will ever trade in 30 years, if not your lifetime.
Great, but why would you lie and compare what I've outlined as a Ponzi scheme? Don't add up my friend.

There are people who have bought and sold more than me. And you may be one. But if you have then you know what I'm saying is gospel.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: txtrophy85] #4717616 11/04/13 11:31 AM
M
MP Bald Eagle Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I have 212 acres 90 minutes southwest of Ft. Worth that have been in my family for 70 years. Our family has hunted it exclusively. Deer, turkeys, hogs, dove. Would love to sell it to someone who loves to hunt. Details are on our website. Hico-Ranch.com.

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: MP Bald Eagle] #4717979 11/04/13 02:24 PM
G
goosecrazy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Something else to look at that a lot of agents don't like is, the TX Vet Land board, only need 5% down to purchase land. I believe the agents/brokers will not mention this because of the lack of experience they might have, not 100% though.

This is a good thread.

Last edited by goosecrazy; 11/04/13 02:24 PM.
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: goosecrazy] #4718068 11/04/13 02:44 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: goosecrazy
Something else to look at that a lot of agents don't like is, the TX Vet Land board, only need 5% down to purchase land. I believe the agents/brokers will not mention this because of the lack of experience they might have, not 100% though.

This is a good thread.

if i'm not mistaken the put a limit on the acreage size.

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: txtrophy85] #4718664 11/04/13 05:32 PM
TBone250 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
From the VLB:
Today's Land Loan Rate
6.75%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the purchase of one acre or more.
Up to $100,000 for a 30-year, fixed-rate loan.
Minimum five percent down payment.
A certified survey is required.
$325 appraisal and contract service fee.
The VLB originates all land loans, not private lenders.

[Linked Image]
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: TBone250] #4718942 11/04/13 06:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TBone250
From the VLB:
Today's Land Loan Rate
6.75%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the purchase of one acre or more.
Up to $100,000 for a 30-year, fixed-rate loan.
Minimum five percent down payment.
A certified survey is required.
$325 appraisal and contract service fee.
The VLB originates all land loans, not private lenders.

so your limited to $100k and under then.

I have never done a vet board loan. I knew there was a limit on acreage or $$$ lended

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: txtrophy85] #4719440 11/04/13 09:19 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I want to say the older TVLB minimum was either 5 or 10 ac it is now down to one ac. The available dollar amount is higher now and if you are a DV your fees are lower. I've used TVLB to by two houses but never land.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: armadillophil] #4732559 11/08/13 10:23 PM
B
BOB7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: armadillophil
I have bought 3 recreational properties. I sold one and still own other two. You make your money when buying not selling. Most of the ranches on lands of texas are overpriced. If you find an area you like get out there and talk to neighbors, watch craigslist and newspapers.

I agree
Like most things whether it be houses, cars or cattle, you make most of the profit when buying.
Don't be afraid to make an offer lots lower than the asking price.
Do your research, ask neighbors about place, find out who owns it and talk to the owner.
Find a fixer upper that can be improved with sweat equity.
Improving eye appeal is one of the biggest.
I have yet to buy a place that wasn't junked up and looked bad and all it took was a little hard work and even made money on the scrap iron.
Add a nice entrance and little barn for atv storage and etc.
Just buy it right and make it look nice

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: BOB7] #4733791 11/09/13 03:46 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOB7
Originally Posted By: armadillophil

I agree
Like most things whether it be houses, cars or cattle, you make most of the profit when buying.
Don't be afraid to make an offer lots lower than the asking price.
Do your research, ask neighbors about place, find out who owns it and talk to the owner.
Find a fixer upper that can be improved with sweat equity.
Improving eye appeal is one of the biggest.
I have yet to buy a place that wasn't junked up and looked bad and all it took was a little hard work and even made money on the scrap iron.
Add a nice entrance and little barn for atv storage and etc.
Just buy it right and make it look nice

Exactly right. Virtually all of the money is made the day u close the buy. If you've done your homework right. And if you've done that right, there's less risk in land than the stock market.

Insider trading ain't illegal in land.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: therancher] #4736188 11/10/13 08:46 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Rancher,
Great thread appreciate your tips. Question; what would you say would be the top three "sweat equity" improvements to increase the sale potential of a first property. Thanks

Re: Land buying and financing strategy [Re: Walkabout] #4736214 11/10/13 09:03 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
We always bought raw land with no improvements starting off. We always built a nice cabin and did most of the work ourselves.

We always bought with selling it as a turnkey hunting ranch so the next thing was feeders/blinds/food plots.

Probably the most valuable selling point is the pics of big deer. So you can't let your friends and family shoot the place out. A lot of places we've bought were pretty shot out at first. It's a great price negotiation tool in either direction. When you're buying you can negotiate down if you can prove there is a poor population.

Conversely you can negotiate way up when selling if you can show dated located pics of a thriving healthy trophy population.

Patience and self discipline are keys to success. You have to be patient when either buying or selling, and you have to be disciplined enuff to do the work and tell friends and family no when they hit u up to hunt.

Last edited by therancher; 11/10/13 09:04 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide