Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,204
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Triplesnake] #4722196 11/05/13 06:04 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Fire1
The deer on my lease do NOT like the cows, so if they are around either I have to move spots, or the cows need to take a walk. Usually I'll try to drive the cows off if I have time. I did ask the LO about it and he said throw sticks at them or use a sling shot. He doesn't care. They aren't prize winning show cows. They are stupid, slobbering, pie factories that happen make enough money to keep them selves fed. The cows/calves are usually pretty easy to move off and I don't harass them needlessly, but there is a red Angus bull that I have a history with (kind of a long story, but now one of my fingers is shorter than it used to be), and I have take particular pleasure in popping him in the a$$ with a round ball or thumb sized rock.

How do you know what cows like and don't like? Stupid? depends on which side of the fence you're on. Personally, I think my cows are a lot smarter than our leasees and one thing for sure! Those cows will be there when the hunters are long gone. Your attitude is why LOs do not want to lease to crap-for-brains hunters. Cows are not in direct opposition with deer and the food chain. They cannot eat corn off the ground unless it is piled up. They do in fact eat grass which deer do not eat. So other than them being around your feeders, which by all rights you should have pens built and then there wouldn't be a problem. Quit bitchin' and hunt or quit!

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Cool_Hand] #4722824 11/05/13 09:02 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Cool_Hand
Originally Posted By: Fire1
The deer on my lease do NOT like the cows, so if they are around either I have to move spots, or the cows need to take a walk. Usually I'll try to drive the cows off if I have time. I did ask the LO about it and he said throw sticks at them or use a sling shot. He doesn't care. They aren't prize winning show cows. They are stupid, slobbering, pie factories that happen make enough money to keep them selves fed. The cows/calves are usually pretty easy to move off and I don't harass them needlessly, but there is a red Angus bull that I have a history with (kind of a long story, but now one of my fingers is shorter than it used to be), and I have take particular pleasure in popping him in the a$$ with a round ball or thumb sized rock.

How do you know what cows like and don't like? Stupid? depends on which side of the fence you're on. Personally, I think my cows are a lot smarter than our leasees and one thing for sure! Those cows will be there when the hunters are long gone. Your attitude is why LOs do not want to lease to crap-for-brains hunters. Cows are not in direct opposition with deer and the food chain. They cannot eat corn off the ground unless it is piled up. They do in fact eat grass which deer do not eat. So other than them being around your feeders, which by all rights you should have pens built and then there wouldn't be a problem. Quit bitchin' and hunt or quit!

My attitude!?! I think you mis-read what I wrote! I never said what cows do or do not like. I never said that they were in direct competition with the deer or that they eat the corn at the feeders. It isn't my attitude that the cows are just dim-witted walking sacks of beef. That's my LO. Your reply is why is it so hard to have a light-hearted or intelligent discussion with "crap-for-brains" internet jockeys.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4722868 11/05/13 09:18 PM
B
B-Man Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Now I completely disagree about "cows don't eat corn off of the ground unless its piled up". I've witnessed cows come right in and suck up all the corn that has been thrown out via a 12volt battery charged Monarch feeder.

Now maybe these cows are desperate but they do indeed eat everything that is thrown out leaving nothing for curious deer that may be waiting.

Very frustrating.

Had cows last year but they never bothered the area. Praying that these cattle get tired of messing with the corn. For the record, I wouldn't ever shoot a cow with anything or risk the possibility of getting tossed. Too much respect for the land and the right to use it.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: B-Man] #4722893 11/05/13 09:26 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: B-Man
Now I completely disagree about "cows don't eat corn off of the ground unless its piled up". I've witnessed cows come right in and suck up all the corn that has been thrown out via a 12volt battery charged Monarch feeder.

Now maybe these cows are desperate but they do indeed eat everything that is thrown out leaving nothing for curious deer that may be waiting.

Very frustrating.

Had cows last year but they never bothered the area. Praying that these cattle get tired of messing with the corn. For the record, I wouldn't ever shoot a cow with anything or risk the possibility of getting tossed. Too much respect for the land and the right to use it.

I totally agree with that ! They will eat a dang sack off the ground if they have a chance their as bad as a goat.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: B-Man] #4723026 11/05/13 10:10 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
As I start to type a huge herd of cattle is tossing in front of my blind! Kind of ironic now the dumb critters are turning toward the feeder so much for my bag of swamp donkey! Now I'm back it's early so I ran em off now back to the topic, cows do eat corn I have seen it many times they will devour every single piece and then knock over and destroy the feeder to eat the rest, I hate putting fences around my feders because it seems like the bucks don't like to come in as much. In general deer don't like cattle they compete for food and cattle are dumb slow creatures I can tell deer are usually annoyed by them in these parts it's extremly rare to see cattle and deer in the same area and when cattle show up in an area the deer leave and horses are ten times worse but that's another story. Fortunately I own my land and hunting comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd and on and on cattle are way down on the list the only reason we have ever had cattle on our place is to keep our ag exemption or I wouldn't allow any of the dumb meat bags on there the only thing I like about cows is hamburgers or chicken fried steak and I strongly prefer venecine over that but cattle are easier to kill because they are tame and basically live to be eaten by us. As for horses or donkeys I have a zero tolerance policy any kind of equine species on my place is given 24 hours to be gone or shot in the head! Luckily I haven't had any issues with horses but I have an insane neighbor who had a bunch of inbred donkeys they would get on my place sometimes and I would try to get them back on his and I only shot a handful over the last few years until this summer when he went really crazy and hasn't left his property in months he stopped feeding them and the humane society refused to do anything about them. Needless to say his gate got left open (and probably still is) and all his starving animals spilled over on to my place so this summer I put down 12 donkeys and 9 or 10 dogs on my land.
Now for the next issue I get so aggravated with people who say "it won't mess up your hunting" I hear that about so many things everything from off-roading on ATVs to packs of dogs and yes even livestock. These are always from people who know nothing about hunting the same crazy neighbor used to threaten to kill anyone who shot his dogs he said they don't hurt hunting because once he saw deer near his yard where his dogs were and they didn't run off that time, he was too drunk and dumb to understand his dogs were running in packs and killing deer because he didn't feed them. I hear the same load of crap every spring when my dad wants to bring his bar fly friends out to get drunk and ride atvs all over the place it always ruins turkey season for a couple of weeks or so. I guess my point is that everything people do on land effects the hunting be it walking around, running livestock, off roading, spotlighting, and anything else that requires human presence on your hunting spot. If you lease there's not much you can do you are at the mercy of the land owner. Personally I doubt if I will ever lease anything again after my last two experiences with leasing I need to know that I'm gonna be able to hunt the next year so I don't waste time and money just to get screwed come time to renew the lease, and it has happened to my friends and I twice this summer once because the old drunk land owner leased out to some of his family because he forgot we had it and again because someone died and the family was squabbling over control. The leasing game stinks I'm glad I own my land.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Kenneth1977] #4723398 11/06/13 12:04 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

Very frustrating.

I totally agree with that ! They will eat a dang sack off the ground if they have a chance their as bad as a goat.

Sorry guys, you're both wrong. Cows will not graze anything to the dirt and are no way anything like a goat which will eat everything down to the dirt. Thats why deer and goats don't mix well. Cows graze and leave grasses to regrow. Their mouths were created to crop off 1/2-3/4 of a plant. Now, you let the graze a grain field, that is a different matter but they cannot eat corn off the ground broadcasted by a feeder.

Last edited by Cool_Hand; 11/06/13 12:06 AM.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: gunnut81] #4723437 11/06/13 12:15 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Gunnut, why does the leasing game stink? For obvious reasons. Not everyone can own their own land. In a lot of cases, and faults can be on both sides, leasees have a tendancy to take matters in thier own hands with a thought of asking if something maybe not in the contract arises. LOs who are in it for the money have a less tendancy to be accomodating for the sake of the almighty dollar.

One answer is package hunting and solid contracts. Takes all the quessing games out of the equation. Leases work fine as long as you have two consenting parties and everything, and I mean everything is put in writting up front. We have a portion of our place we lease and within there lyes all of our problems. The package hunting end is a dream come true.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: B-Man] #4723871 11/06/13 02:19 AM
P
proudtexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I drive my truck to the other side fo the lease and begin honking the horn. The cattle think they are going to get fed and come running. Takes them a day or so to graze their way back to where my stand is.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: proudtexan] #4724022 11/06/13 02:58 AM
C
Cannon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Paint Golden Arches on your feeders,....

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: UTMallard] #4724508 11/06/13 08:17 AM
T
Troutfisch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: UTMallard
Slingshot

My Dad swears by this - he can hit a cow with a marble at 50 yards with his slingshot.

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Buckenvy] #4724522 11/06/13 09:33 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Buckenvy
Kinda funny story... I said no sir, we wouldn't have shot a black one...

One of mine did. 600 pound black heifer. Thought she was a hog and gut shot her. Watch for him because he may be hunting with you this year. He darned sure isn't hunting here anymore.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: aeb] #4724569 11/06/13 11:31 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Anyone who say a cow can NOT eat corn off of the dirt is a damn FOOL. I watch it every time they hit my feeder and I pray I get video of it this coming weekend.
Do they "IN GENERAL" do it.....no. under normal circumstances? ....no
Will they if not fed properly? You durn skippy they will. Unfortunately my LO does not properly feel his cows. He just leaves them to graze and fend for themselves. They WILL and do regularly eat corn from FEEDER SPREAD on the ground.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: target1911] #4724795 11/06/13 01:45 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: target1911
Anyone who say a cow can NOT eat corn off of the dirt is a damn FOOL. I watch it every time they hit my feeder and I pray I get video of it this coming weekend.
Will they if not fed properly? You durn skippy they will. Unfortunately my LO does not properly feel his cows. He just leaves them to graze and fend for themselves. They WILL and do regularly eat corn from FEEDER SPREAD on the ground.

Now tell us how you really feel!!! roflmao

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4724925 11/06/13 02:31 PM
T
TexIan22 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Pellet for sure. How we do it to the cows on our land. Gets em everytime

The Great Outdoors --- Gods gift to man
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Cool_Hand] #4724949 11/06/13 02:38 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

Very frustrating.

Sorry guys, you're both wrong. Cows will not graze anything to the dirt and are no way anything like a goat which will eat everything down to the dirt. Thats why deer and goats don't mix well. Cows graze and leave grasses to regrow. Their mouths were created to crop off 1/2-3/4 of a plant. Now, you let the graze a grain field, that is a different matter but they cannot eat corn off the ground broadcasted by a feeder.
Lol, dude, telling these guys they are wrong is one thing, but I have been hunting a long time and just about every lease I have ever had has had cows and I can tell you for 100% certainty that cows can, do and will eat corn off the ground. Now, I have never seen cows clean the roads of corn like a hog or deer will, but they will bend down and eat a little corn from time to time. Again, leave the damn cows alone and hunt. If you don't like them, find another lease.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: tShawnB] #4724974 11/06/13 02:45 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They'll eat corn off the ground, just like they'll eat their fill of acorns and get sick off them.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: target1911] #4726706 11/06/13 10:58 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Takes a fool to know one.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: aeb] #4726723 11/06/13 11:05 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: aeb

Now tell us how you really feel!!! roflmao

clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: dogcatcher] #4727633 11/07/13 03:48 AM
W
WEBBYODER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
popcorn

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: WEBBYODER] #4727762 11/07/13 04:27 AM
G
Garza County Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
I sat in my blind this weekend (Saturday night) and watched a huge black heifer circle my feeder pen, then stick her head over the 36" fence, then jump over it and into my feeder pen and proceed to vacuum corn off the ground.

I got out and ran her off. She came back, jumped fence again. I got out and ran her off, this time farther off. By the time I was back in the blind, she was back. Got out and ran her off a third time...hollering, screaming, throwing rocks. Climbed back in blind at 6:52 and told my son who was waiting to shoot his first deer our hunt was ruined because of cows. At 7:12 a BIG mature spike walked out and my son laid him down.

He got his deer, but the cows are a Continual nuisance. Found the same cow the next day at daylight back in feeder pen. Ran her off. Checked other feeder pen that afternoon and she was in there vacuuming corn. I've got almost. $1000 in fencing up and now have to do more. I am just annoyed that the rancher never rotates these cows. They are constantly on my lease sections. In pay the same price other hunters pay on the lease, But they don't have to deal with cows or spend money on fencing. How is that fair to the hunter? There is absolutely no bedding area on my 1000 acre section as everything is grazed to the ground. How do I have the same opportunity as the others? The grass is 4 feet high just across the fence, yet he refuses to rotate them or feed them. So they are now so hungry that they are jumping a fence, tearing it down in the process since the big oafs can't jump, eating my corn, and costing me tons of money! Any of this sound fair? I mean if I got a cut rate I could understand, but this is getting ridiculous...even if my son got his deer, I am very annoyed and frustrated. Don't always assume the rancher/LO knows best...but it is his land. If it doesn't get better I will move.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Garza County Hunter] #4727774 11/07/13 04:31 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Put some heat on the pen. They'll think twice about it.

Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: Cool_Hand] #4727866 11/07/13 06:09 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

That was about as childish as it gets.....and for someone that has two Christian symbols in his sig line you sure are quick to call names and be demeaning to others

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: target1911] #4727878 11/07/13 06:47 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

That was about as childish as it gets.....and for someone that has two Christian symbols in his sig line you sure are quick to call names and be demeaning to others

Amen,pretty childish...also cows will eat corn scattered on ground. For you to say that means you don't hunt much around cows and probably don't own any like you claim. However you are correct about them grazing grass but you probably read that somewhere. You should remove you sig pic if your goin to be childish,as it's demeaning to your faith.

Robert
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: ryorgensen] #4728079 11/07/13 01:34 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I fought cows for many a year at our old lease. Best thing for me was to put up a solar powered fence charger and hot wire the top strand.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Cows......how to get them to move out? [Re: target1911] #4728430 11/07/13 03:42 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

clap

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide