Print Thread
A good Hog story #4679467 10/21/13 09:23 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Send me your hog pics and tell me the story of how you got it. Love hearing hunting stories.

Jhog

Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4680471 10/22/13 02:38 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
awhh man, here I thought u got a hog, an had a good story. no biggy, welcome ta THF could tell ya about the one that got away, no pic,s though. get ta my laptop send ya a video of some I snuck up on, may take awhile, cant aford internet.
flag

Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4681111 10/22/13 12:54 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Understandable, can't wait to see the pics.

Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4682385 10/22/13 07:40 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
The only story I have is a downer so far. Went to a free range operation here in MO where I am at. The day was very slow moving but we didn't truly start hunting until night. The first night, nothing. The second night, I had only been in my stand for maybe an hour when three of them came to the feeder only 50 yards away from me. It had just gotten dark. Now, I'm a good deer hunter but hogs is something I had never hunted before in my life. I was not prepared for how much noise them make and how exciting it was to have a giant sow in my scope. I had a cheap $10 dollar light fixed on the corn that barely gave me anything but I was able to make out the sow and her two piglet's who were pretty big themselves. This female had to be over 200 pounds, she was the biggest animal I had ever hunted before. I totally rushed a very easy shot and missed completely. They were literally just standing there eating and snorting. Now I have hog fever. Got myself a much better light, made a date in Texas and I am so ready for my first hog kill.

Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4682410 10/22/13 07:49 PM
M
maxscm Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
"Now I have hog fever. "Quote above".

And there is definitely NO CURE!

Last edited by crowkiller51; 10/22/13 07:50 PM.
Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4683145 10/23/13 12:03 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My first hog kill, sorry no pics, was in 1981. Huge boar carrying a doe in his mouth like a cat carrying a kitten. I thought it was a black bear at first. Once I knew it was a pig I put a .25-06 round into his earhole. The sausage we made was HORRIBLE!!! And we had LOTS of it!!! It was like chewing BB's. The dogs wouldn't even eat it. That was a nasty old boar. The one in my sig-line I shot behind the ear with a Sporter 03-A3 Springfield in .30-06. She was doing the sideways dance and stopped dancing so I walked up on her. I thought she was done. At about 10 feet she sat up, got her feet under her, and came at me blindly. I pulled my .357 magnum and punched her in the forehead. She won "Ugliest thing in the woods" that year, and was a dang-fine eating pig.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: A good Hog story [Re: Slow Drifter] #4683354 10/23/13 01:27 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew

My daughter Jordan's first hog. We went to Cotullia Texas in July for a four day hog hunt on a 1,000 acre deer ranch. She couldnt get a shot off as the hogs were crossing the sendaros but not comming in to the feeders. We went east in August as sat in a blind on Friday Night and had three groups of hogs come in fairly small but they were heading to the creek and did not come in to the feeder. Each time they stopped about 140 yards out but we expected them to go to the feeder. We went back out Sat Night
and she said that if something came out she would drill it. At 7
Oclock we hear them comming and there are 5 pigs all small except for the boar. He stopped broadside at 140 yards and she drilled him behind the ear with the .308. It was the first time she killed something and the first time I ever watched as I am always the hunter. Gotta say it was awesome.

She rode the SOB all the way home.

Big Beckett!!
Re: A good Hog story [Re: Ramsey] #4683733 10/23/13 03:02 AM
A
altez Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
One time I went to the woods with some night vision and shot this big boy ... the end. laugh

Last edited by altez; 10/23/13 03:03 AM.
Re: A good Hog story [Re: altez] #4684402 10/23/13 01:21 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Great stories guys! Keep them coming

Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4687341 10/24/13 03:04 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
rofl these are some good hog tails, one of the best topics up will be back rofl flag

Re: A good Hog story [Re: Ramsey] #4687379 10/24/13 03:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
congrates to your daughter up

Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4691182 10/25/13 09:05 PM
G
greygooser Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
My brother was visiting me from the UK. He had visited previously and we had hunted 2 mornings and 2 nights without seeing anything, it was really disappointing for me not to get him on something. With it being a 4500 mile trip each way I was desperate to get him on a hog this time. So we headed out to the lease (2hour drive). We hunted the weekend and only had a close call with a boar in the dark. We walked up on him under the feeder but by the that time it was so dark we couldn't get a shot on him. The lights were going very dim. So we resigned ourselves to defeat and decided to head home and carry on getting ready for my wedding at the end of the following week.

Well, a few days later we decided we had to give it another shot and my future wife gave us her blessing to head back out to the lease. We had 1 evening and 1 morning and given that we rarely see them in the morning we knew it had to happen that night. So we headed to the stand about 4pm, but before getting in we decided to scatter some hog wild around the feeder in the hopes it might improve our chances. We hopped up in the stand and sat for about 40 minutes, before we knew it we had a sounder of about 15 move under the feeder. My brother had never seen hogs in the wild before and as you guys will know, the first time is quite something. Add to this the fact he had never shot anything other than a shotgun before and i bet his heart was pumping!

I'd given him my browning x-bolt 7mag and i had my marlin 30/30 with iron sights. I told him to pick one out & take his time. I would fire after him to make sure i didn't screw his shot. So after 2 minutes or so he pulls the trigger and i do as quickly as i can afterwards. I see a 150lb sow from the corner of my eye jump up and i hope its my brothers. My target runs off apparently unharmed and before we know it there's dead silence again. I ask him 'did you hit it, where did you aim?'. He replies 'I thought i did, right through the shoulder but its gone!'. So we quickly go from excitement to despair! We sit for 20 minutes figuring out our next plan but eventually get restless and decide to head to the feeder to check for sign. Upon first inspection we see nothing and it starts to dawn on us that he somehow missed from 80 yards. We couldn't believe it! So we kept looking, and after about 5 minutes i finally spot 2 drops of blood right at the back of the feeder. PHEW!

He knew his pig had ran off to the east so we start walking through the light brush that way. We find a little more blood about 15 yards away on a stone and then another 15 on we walk right up on it. She had ran about 30 yards and piled up.

I was so pumped for him, he had put it bang in the middle of the shoulder as he said and it had passed right through into the vitals as she was quartering away slightly. The pig had bled out quick.

So after much high fiving we dragged it off, skinned it. The next day I and made pulled pork for him and he got to enjoy his own kill.

That was 6 months ago. Since then we've moved leases, i've got my own spot and he's arriving a week today for another 2 weekends of hunting. Couldn't be more excited.

Here's us before our first failed hunt together, and then him with his pig.

Last edited by greygooser; 10/25/13 09:07 PM.

Re: A good Hog story [Re: greygooser] #4691762 10/26/13 02:33 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Congrates on the wedding. always enjoy it whin get a chance ta hunt with my brothers, its not so much the hunt, but the time spent. flag

Last edited by colt.45; 10/26/13 02:38 AM.
Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4697025 10/28/13 02:04 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Awesome story man, loved reading about it and loved the pics!

Re: A good Hog story [Re: Ramsey] #4700864 10/29/13 04:17 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Ramsey

My daughter Jordan's first hog. We went to Cotullia Texas in July for a four day hog hunt on a 1,000 acre deer ranch. She couldnt get a shot off as the hogs were crossing the sendaros but not comming in to the feeders. We went east in August as sat in a blind on Friday Night and had three groups of hogs come in fairly small but they were heading to the creek and did not come in to the feeder. Each time they stopped about 140 yards out but we expected them to go to the feeder. We went back out Sat Night
and she said that if something came out she would drill it. At 7
Oclock we hear them comming and there are 5 pigs all small except for the boar. He stopped broadside at 140 yards and she drilled him behind the ear with the .308. It was the first time she killed something and the first time I ever watched as I am always the hunter. Gotta say it was awesome.

She rode the SOB all the way home.

Congratulations to you and Jordan. I hope my daughter will hunt with me one day. She's beautiful, too. I'll bet you have a lot of shotguns for those two-legged, teenage varmints... smile

Re: A good Hog story [Re: GriffGruff78] #4701460 10/29/13 07:03 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
offtopic years ago seen an artical, think it was in field & stteam. think it was called Billy. getting to the point, dad was out hunting with one of his kids, stands about 100yrds apart, whin deer walked past dads stand at 30yrds, he started to shoot, but let deer walk twards Billies stand who was home from collage visiting, he waited for sound of shot, at dark walked over to Billies stand an asked if seen any thing. She replied, deer walked bye. I dont do justice to the story, story was about spending time, they grow up way to fast. back flag

Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4702256 10/29/13 11:03 PM
E
elkaholic Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I got lots of hog stories that i think are cool but I got one in particular that was just stupid on mine and some of my buddies part.

About 9 yrs ago I got this great idea to book a "Western Safari" in S.Texas with an outfitter. There were 6 of us that booked this hunt and headed South. There were 2 trucks with high bench seats mounted in the back of 2 trucks with no restraints (key phrase, "with no restraints"). The outfitters would use NV to spot hogs in open fields and then slowly go to the hogs with lights off. We were all using shotguns. When we got close to the hogs, lights came on and driver chased hogs across pastures, at high rates of speed, while we blasted away in these high bench seats... with no restraints. We killed many pigs that night. Our driver was new to the last field we visited that night and did not know about the rather large drop off in the field. Hogs were located, we blasted away, driver chased the hogs and driver went over rather large drop-off at a high rate of speed. In case I didn’t mention we had no restraints while we sat high in these bench seats in the back of this truck. One of my buddies was ejected out of the back of the truck and broke his collar bone and a few ribs. That was the end of our "Western Safari". I did hear that restraints were added to these hunts after our experience. The cool thing is that I had pulled out the video camera and got some really great video of that last field...I got us chasing that last group of pigs,us going over/through that ravine and my buddy laying on the ground wrything in pain. Not sure how one of us didn't die that night but it is definitely a hog hunt to remember.

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to go hunting for your kids

Re: A good Hog story [Re: elkaholic] #4703282 10/30/13 03:00 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
My best story of hog hunting is when I finally got my dad on a trophy boar on my ranch. It was his third trip to the ranch hog hunting. You know what they say, "Third time is a charm".

It was July 5th of this year and my Dad really wanted to hunt the pond (for several reasons). Long story short, there wasn't was stand over the pond, so he hunted a food plot/feeder location that was about 200 yards away. About 5:30pm my dad saw a big boar cruise by about 100 yards from him on the way to the pond. He was cursing me under his breath for an hour (or this is what he told me later).....then, about 30 minutes before dark, the big boar makes his way back from the pond to get a bite to eat. Dad put 100 grain BTSP from a .243 I bought him right in his neck (got to save the skull for a Euro mount!). I took a few pictures and had one developed for him. He brought it to work (in Kansas) and had bragging rights until deer season came around.

After everything I learned from him and got from him, it was great to give back.

Here is a pic (pic was taken a couple hours after he dragged the big boy back to camp with his truck and a pull rope) I had to wake him up for the pic!

Re: A good Hog story [Re: Pittstate] #4705176 10/30/13 06:27 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
My first hog was taken on the Gus Engeling WMA on a drawn hunt. It was a deer hunt, but I didn't see any of them while there. That first morning it was 21F according to the thermometer when I left for my compartment, and I thought I was going to freeze my toes off. About 9AM I couldn't take it any more and started walking around the compartment to see if there were better spots to hunt. Warmed up, and headed back to the HQ to stand by the fire they had going there and to eat some breakfast.

About 11AM I decided to go scout some more. I didn't expect to get anything, and it was more a case of having something to do until the evening care around. While walking next to a small drainage in the bottom, I heard hogs ahead of me and across the drainage, and started stalking them. Finally caught up to them, and stopped to catch my breath. An average-sized adult comes walking out about 30 yards away and doesn't seem to even notice me. I'm getting the shakes, but settle the crosshairs on his shoulder and pull the trigger. I immediately start cussing under my breath, take the safety off, and raise the gun as it quietly walks back into the brush. Man, but was I upset with myself. Luckily, another walked out pretty quickly, and I dropped it where it stood. The rest ran off and I chased after them, but never got close enough to take another shot.

The pig weighed about 80 pounds as I remember when I started dragging him back to my truck. The truck was about a 1/4 mile away, and by time I got to it, I swear he was at least 150. It didn't help that I thought the truck was 45 degrees off from where it actually was located, which made the drag much further than it needed to be. I was so wore out by time I got him to the HQ to clean that I didn't even bother to hunt that night.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Re: A good Hog story [Re: JRPurvis] #4707453 10/31/13 01:33 PM
J
JHOG Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Awesome stories guys. Love walking into the office in the morning and seeing more hunting stories.

Re: A good Hog story [Re: JHOG] #4708688 10/31/13 06:39 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: JHOG
Awesome stories guys. Love walking into the office in the morning and seeing more hunting stories.

up+2 insurance is out on my truck, not able ta hog hunt my favoret place. have had some great memmories, thanks all up flag

Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4715745 11/03/13 06:32 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
got pic of why I dont hog hunt with a knife, not able ta post over phone. A bad day of hunting, is better than a good day at the office. hope ya get chance ta get out their an do some hog hunting soon. hog hunting the other wild game flag

Re: A good Hog story [Re: 1860.colt] #4717326 11/04/13 03:48 AM
H
HogAssassin Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
No pics but...

It had been a hot summer and I was just burning up with hog fever. We decided that the only sensible option was to go to a buddies ranch that happened to be loaded with hogs. After the four hour drive we set up shop in a small box blind.

6 hours pass and there's nothing. We get up, grab the sig sauer 223, and start walking. We walked for a good 30 minutes until we heard rustling. Not just normal squirrel taking a stroll either, it was like a truck was driving towards us. From over the hill pops up a herd of 60+/- deer. Well the heart race was for nothing as it turns out. Well as the herd passes we quickly Learn they were running from 20+/- big hogs. My dad jumps up a tree because they turn our way and start to charge. Being the maniacal bada** I am I take a knee for a steady shot and learn a 30 round magazine empties quickly when hogs are coming right at you.

I ended up dropping 5 of them and probably hurt more, but I will not forget that for as long as I live.

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide