Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question???? #469500 10/31/08 02:11 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
say u shoot a deer and dont recover it. do u still burn a tag on it?

Re: question [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469501 10/31/08 02:12 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Where you gonna put it?

Re: question [Re: BMD] #469502 10/31/08 02:15 AM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
no, theres no way to tell if it lived logng enough for another hunter to kill it....now dont make it a habbit, but I say no

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: question [Re: BMD] #469503 10/31/08 02:15 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
where it cant be found.

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469504 10/31/08 02:19 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

Here we go again......If you drew or found blood, BURN THE TAG! If your not confident in yourself or the settings of your weapon then you should still be at the range shooting or flinging arrows, JMO.

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469505 10/31/08 02:26 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
go again?? havent seen this on here b4. what if theres no blood....maybe gut shot?

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469506 10/31/08 02:32 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

go again?? havent seen this on here b4. what if theres no blood....maybe gut shot?

Gut shot w/ an arrow......you will be able to tell. Smell it and tell me what it smells like.

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469507 10/31/08 02:37 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

Quote:

Gut shot w/ an arrow......you will be able to tell. Smell it and tell me what it smells like.

but do u burn the tag? its a general personal question...what would u do?

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469508 10/31/08 02:40 AM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Somewhere here in deer hunting post I made some coments about this topic under Bowhunting Ethics. It got to be a mess. I try and abide by the same set of rules that any game ranch worth it's salt does. If you've got a blood trail, you've got a dead deer. I know I'll take flack for it but if I can't hammer them I need more practice. I know, i know, we're all gonna lose one some time. I understand that but as has been said, don't make a habit of it...

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469509 10/31/08 02:47 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can you not tell from my replies what i would do.....burn the f'n tag.

So i take it that if you would draw blood or gut shot 2 bucks and never find them, then YOU would continue going after bucks?

What's your personal choice not what is ethical?

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469510 10/31/08 02:48 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So i take it that if you would draw blood or gut shot 2 bucks and never find them, then YOU would continue going after bucks?

not directed at u....know what u would do...i know what i would do....just askin in general.

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469511 10/31/08 02:55 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not directed at u....know what u would do...i know what i would do....just askin in general.

And.......you would do?

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469512 10/31/08 03:11 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
??????????????????????????????????????????

Re: Question???? [Re: BMD] #469513 10/31/08 03:23 AM
J
Johnny_J_JaMata Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469514 10/31/08 03:51 AM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When I pull the trigger and I know I have a good shot I normally spend that quite time waiting filling out the back of my license and cutting the notches in my tag and getting it on some string to get ready to tag my deer. So yeah, once I burned a tag, it was all filled out and the back dated. I honestly felt worse about not finding that deer then any care for the tag, but i hunt in a 5 deer county so I could understand someone in a 2 deer county having a different issue to contemplate..

Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469515 10/31/08 02:33 PM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And.......you would do?

i dont know...never lost a deer or missed a deer....how could anyone make a bad shot??? u should practice more if u r gonna do that.

JK JK JK...i would burn the tag. why u got on your horse and are arguing what one should do ......actually, its the law. that is what i was getting at. also if u wound a duck, dove, quail, or any other animal and dont find it, u have to include it in your daily bag limit/seasonal limit. wonder how many ppl havent done that.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/penalties/
from TPWD:
Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. For whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and desert bighorn sheep, the violation is a Class A misdemeanor.

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469516 10/31/08 03:43 PM
S
Smoker1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Definately not!

Re: Question???? [Re: Smoker1] #469517 10/31/08 06:46 PM
M
MTA0019 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
TPWD says it is only illegal to intetiontally or knowingly fail to make a reasonable EFFORT to retrieve the animal...sounds to me like as long as you made a reasonable EFFORT to find the animal, your not breakin the law. this is just what i understand from the post...

Re: Question???? [Re: MTA0019] #469518 10/31/08 07:16 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Bingo, we have a correct answer to the question, as far as LEGALITIES ARE CONCERNED.

Quote:

Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. For whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and desert bighorn sheep, the violation is a Class A misdemeanor.

The key word here is Intentionally/Knowingly. I witnessed a GW on one of the TP&W Drawing Hunts, tell another hunter to go ahead and shoot another animal, after he and the hunter made a reasonable search for the animal.

Now, was the question as originally asked in the OP directed toward LEGALITIES or ETHICS????????

Some folks will burn a tag in such a situation, but if all the legalities are observed, neither hunter is right or wrong. JMO.

Re: Question???? [Re: Crazyhorse] #469519 10/31/08 08:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
No findee no taggee.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Question???? [Re: Johnny_J_JaMata] #469520 10/31/08 08:50 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Quote:

Quote:

Here we go again......If you drew or found blood, BURN THE TAG! If your not confident in yourself or the settings of your weapon then you should still be at the range shooting or flinging arrows, JMO.

Are you kidding me?....burn the tag?....If all efforts are made to recover the animal then you have done your due diligence....We should all endevor to become flawless...however, some times s*&@ happens.

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Question???? [Re: WTGuide] #469521 10/31/08 10:48 PM
H
h20thief Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I'm with jgiles, I dont burn the tag unless I find the animal. Havent lost one yet with the gun but a couple does on an archery hunt. I even used a tracking dog on one doe without success.

H20thief
------------
Positive thinking may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Question???? [Re: h20thief] #469522 11/03/08 03:02 AM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
did yall not read this???? its the law...u must include it in your seasonal bag limit. u must burn the tag.

from TPWD:
Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit . It is an offense if a person intentionally takes a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. For whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and desert bighorn sheep, the violation is a Class A misdemeanor.

Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469523 11/03/08 03:21 AM
C
CypertJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Quote:

did yall not read this???? its the law...u must include it in your seasonal bag limit. u must burn the tag.

from TPWD:
Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit . It is an offense if a person intentionally takes a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. For whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and desert bighorn sheep, the violation is a Class A misdemeanor.

not sure you read it, the law says: (in stupid people words)
look for your deer, more than a 20 min search if you have to, come back the next day if you have to, do some walking, polish up on your tracking skills, call someone with a tracking dog if you can, still can't find the deer, keep your tag and hang it on the next one

You can kill a fly with a sledgehammer. But do you really need to son?
Re: Question???? [Re: TXBowhunter1] #469524 11/03/08 03:36 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is an ETHICS situation, if you are at your lease by yourself and wound a deer and it gets away from you, how many times do you think a GW is going to fall out of the sky and tell you that You Must burn a tag, or are you going to call the GW and confess that you just shot and lost a deer and are now burning a tag??????

Some people are going to interpret what is written in the OA one way, and others are going to interpret it differently.

I can truly say, that I have never met anyone that would voluntarily call a GW and tell them that they just shot and lost a deer and were burning a tag.

Oh Yeah, I can just see the GW's reaction to that one now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide