Forums46
Topics538,634
Posts9,739,361
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle #4677820 10/21/13 12:10 PM
F
Friction Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Army Master Sgt. Christopher Grisham jury trial ended in a mistrial.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mistrial-case-of-soldier-rudely-carrying-his-rifle

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Friction] #4678820 10/21/13 06:01 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I heard the jury was 5-1 in favor of not guilty, the 1 was a temple LEO wife. This is not fact, just what I have heard.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Beretta] #4681128 10/22/13 12:58 PM
F
Friction Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
kinda hard to believe the defense would allow the wife of an LEO to be on the jury, just seems like there would be some bias no matter what she heard. i also don't understand why there is going to be another trial if the jury was 5-1 in favor of the defense, it seems like its gonna be very difficult if not impossible for the prosecution to convince a jury to convict Grisham.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Friction] #4681192 10/22/13 01:16 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay, I have been to this thread MULTIPLE times, hoping there would be more responses than this. IMO....Grisham is a Dumb A$$. The old saying...PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES comes out. Was he in line of the LAW....yes. Is he a DA....yes. Paint a TARGET on your back, front, forehead.....expect to get shot. Not to mention.....what the H3LL did he expect to happen? A cop to buy him a cup of coffee and Donut and say cool gun!? All this while setting an EXEMPLARY example in front of his son.

Now, let's get down to the basic logistics of the situation.

Grisham was, w/in his legal rights.
Grisham was, a perceived "threat" to the public. Why? Because he is a Dumb A$$ You me anyone would have called the cops stating there was a Para-Military type guy walking down the road with an AR-15.
Grisham should, know better! War Vet, Military Vet, CHL holder.....still a Dumb A$$.
Lastly, the manner in which he handled it is what Most Likely got him in trouble in the first place and I WISH we could have seen the "initial" confrontaion by the officer. Grisham should have put his hands on his head and verbally stated the weapon was not loaded and allowed the officer to remove it without a hassle. Instead he got mouthy and had I been the LEO, it probably would have gotten worse and damn sure would not have been taped. It all boils down to RESPECT for the LAW, written, human or otherwise. Grisham was disrespectful and then whined like a little bit.....well you know. My 2 cents. Rant over. We DO NOT NEED DB's like GRISHAM helping us "keep" our 2nd Ammendment!!!!

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10/22/13 01:17 PM.
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4681239 10/22/13 01:28 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS x 1000

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4681482 10/22/13 02:50 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
Okay, I have been to this thread MULTIPLE times, hoping there would be more responses than this. IMO....Grisham is a Dumb A$$. The old saying...PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES comes out. Was he in line of the LAW....yes. Is he a DA....yes. Paint a TARGET on your back, front, forehead.....expect to get shot. Not to mention.....what the H3LL did he expect to happen? A cop to buy him a cup of coffee and Donut and say cool gun!? All this while setting an EXEMPLARY example in front of his son.

Grisham was, a perceived "threat" to the public. Why? Because he is a Dumb A$$ You me anyone would have called the cops stating there was a Para-Military type guy walking down the road with an AR-15.
Grisham should, know better! War Vet, Military Vet, CHL holder.....still a Dumb A$$.
Lastly, the manner in which he handled it is what Most Likely got him in trouble in the first place and I WISH we could have seen the "initial" confrontaion by the officer. Grisham should have put his hands on his head and verbally stated the weapon was not loaded and allowed the officer to remove it without a hassle. Instead he got mouthy and had I been the LEO, it probably would have gotten worse and damn sure would not have been taped. It all boils down to RESPECT for the LAW, written, human or otherwise. Grisham was disrespectful and then whined like a little bit.....well you know. My 2 cents. Rant over. We DO NOT NEED DB's like GRISHAM helping us "keep" our 2nd Ammendment!!!!

Well Said!

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: rob valle] #4682197 10/22/13 06:41 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Mr. Clean, I gotta say, I'm always down to get to basics. My thoughts are:

Feelings are feelings, and facts are facts.

You feel that Mr. Grisham acted like an asshat. You feel that he was disrespectful to the LEO. You feel like he was disrespecting his position in the military by acting like said asshat. I'm not arguing any of that.

However, the fact is that he broke no laws. (You even posted that he acted within the scope of the law.)

It is not against the law to be an a-hole. I may not like people being a-holes, but I certainly do not believe it is the job of government to teach my fellow citizens to be decent people, nor is it the government's responsibility to punish citizens for being rude. If you disagree on that, so be it. There are plenty of folks, friends and family included, that think the government should make people behave the way they want them to. I am not one of them.

You justified the original call to the police by a concerned citizen. I don't argue that, but I will state that the caller contacted the non-emergency line, as opposed to 911. I FEEL like that is evidence that the caller was concerned, as opposed to alarmed, but that's beside the facts. I don't argue the justification of a concerned/alarmed citizen alerting the police.

I also don't argue that an officer shouldn't investigate the situation. But I personally have a serious issue with an officer going beyond his job/duty/purpose/scope of power to arrest an individual for doing absolutely nothing illegal.

The fact is that a police officer created a false charge against this man. The officer's job was to assess whether there was a threat. This man was not arrested because he was a threat, he was stopped and questioned because he was a possible threat. It was determined that he was not a threat to the community, but he was arrested anyway, with a trumped up charge.

You wish that you could see what happened before the citizen's video started rolling? Me too!!!!! And it exists in the form of the dashcam. Which is being blocked from release by the prosecutors. Why? The defendant posted it online, then was required to take it down almost immediately. The few (quite a few) people that viewed it on YouTube before it came down made many comments that seem to indicate the officer was the instigator. I won't speculate on those comments, but I'd love to see the video.

Anyhow, I think it is reprehensible for a police officer to abuse his power by creating a false charge against a law abiding citizen, simply because of a personal issue.

You state CJ Grisham was within the law, then state that he doesn't respect the law. That doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps a better statement is he doesn't respect law enforcement officers. Clearer still is that he didn't respect that particular law enforcement officer. But an officer is not the law. There is no law against a disrespecting law enforcement officers. (If it ever becomes law, we are all officially subjects.)

The police officer knowingly and purposefully arrested and charged this individual with a crime he was not guilty nor suspected of. To me, that is a clear case of disrespecting the law.

Anyhow, you wanted someone to comment, and I respectfully disagree with some things you wrote. I disagree with anyone that believes it is ok for LE to take the law into their own hands. From your statement, it appears we agree that he broke no laws, but disagree in that you are ok with the police enforcing personal beliefs as opposed/in addition to the law.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4682443 10/22/13 07:58 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

respect the law huh?

Are you saying the police officers are the law or are you saying the legislation pushed through the Texas government is the law?

Because if it is respect for that law that you want, those cops trampled all over it.

The guy was in a rural area and carrying the rifle to protect himself and his kid. It is not that rare to have to defend yourself from coyotes and such, our very own governor did it not too long ago with a ruger LCP.

If we want respect for the law, these LEOs need a lesson in what the law is...

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: cdoan02] #4682464 10/22/13 08:03 PM
F
Friction Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: cdoan02

You feel that Mr. Grisham acted like an asshat. You feel that he was disrespectful to the LEO. You feel like he was disrespecting his position in the military by acting like said asshat. I'm not arguing any of that.

However, the fact is that he broke no laws. (You even posted that he acted within the scope of the law.)

It is not against the law to be an a-hole. I may not like people being a-holes, but I certainly do not believe it is the job of government to teach my fellow citizens to be decent people, nor is it the government's responsibility to punish citizens for being rude. If you disagree on that, so be it. There are plenty of folks, friends and family included, that think the government should make people behave the way they want them to. I am not one of them.

You justified the original call to the police by a concerned citizen. I don't argue that, but I will state that the caller contacted the non-emergency line, as opposed to 911. I FEEL like that is evidence that the caller was concerned, as opposed to alarmed, but that's beside the facts. I don't argue the justification of a concerned/alarmed citizen alerting the police.

I also don't argue that an officer shouldn't investigate the situation. But I personally have a serious issue with an officer going beyond his job/duty/purpose/scope of power to arrest an individual for doing absolutely nothing illegal.

The fact is that a police officer created a false charge against this man. The officer's job was to assess whether there was a threat. This man was not arrested because he was a threat, he was stopped and questioned because he was a possible threat. It was determined that he was not a threat to the community, but he was arrested anyway, with a trumped up charge.

You wish that you could see what happened before the citizen's video started rolling? Me too!!!!! And it exists in the form of the dashcam. Which is being blocked from release by the prosecutors. Why? The defendant posted it online, then was required to take it down almost immediately. The few (quite a few) people that viewed it on YouTube before it came down made many comments that seem to indicate the officer was the instigator. I won't speculate on those comments, but I'd love to see the video.

Anyhow, I think it is reprehensible for a police officer to abuse his power by creating a false charge against a law abiding citizen, simply because of a personal issue.

You state CJ Grisham was within the law, then state that he doesn't respect the law. That doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps a better statement is he doesn't respect law enforcement officers. Clearer still is that he didn't respect that particular law enforcement officer. But an officer is not the law. There is no law against a disrespecting law enforcement officers. (If it ever becomes law, we are all officially subjects.)

The police officer knowingly and purposefully arrested and charged this individual with a crime he was not guilty nor suspected of. To me, that is a clear case of disrespecting the law.

Anyhow, you wanted someone to comment, and I respectfully disagree with some things you wrote. I disagree with anyone that believes it is ok for LE to take the law into their own hands. From your statement, it appears we agree that he broke no laws, but disagree in that you are ok with the police enforcing personal beliefs as opposed/in addition to the law.

^^^^^ well said!^^^^^

popcorn

Last edited by Trek; 10/22/13 08:12 PM.
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Friction] #4683959 10/23/13 04:23 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Trek

^^^^^ well said!^^^^^

popcorn

Well said x 2.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Friction] #4683960 10/23/13 04:24 AM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Cdoan. I could not agree with you more on most everything you said. To clarify, I feel as though individuals like this pushing the 2nd Ammendment Envelope, do more damn harm than they do good, kind of like kicking the chained dog until one day the dog gets off the chain? I want to be very specific here, the officer was wrong as well but why in this world of heated gun controversy do people like Grisham feel the need to kick the chained dog? Having his Military training and being a CHL holder should teach him otherwise, rather than to push the legal envelope and look for a "fight.". In addition, I feel as though he was disrespectful to the LEO's inspite of them "not knowing" what they were doing or how to deal with it? In closing, I want to say again, there was equal fault on both sides but the whole thing could have been avoided had Grisham not pushed it? Trust me, I have my own arguments about Government and what the "Law" can and can't do, but pushing this the way Grisham...or anyone else did/does certainly does not help people like you and I wanting to keep our gun rights in tact.

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10/23/13 04:26 AM.
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4684054 10/23/13 05:40 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Cdoan. I could not agree with you more on most everything you said. To clarify, I feel as though individuals like this pushing the 2nd Ammendment Envelope, do more damn harm than they do good, kind of like kicking the chained dog until one day the dog gets off the chain? I want to be very specific here, the officer was wrong as well but why in this world of heated gun controversy do people like Grisham feel the need to kick the chained dog? Having his Military training and being a CHL holder should teach him otherwise, rather than to push the legal envelope and look for a "fight.". In addition, I feel as though he was disrespectful to the LEO's inspite of them "not knowing" what they were doing or how to deal with it? In closing, I want to say again, there was equal fault on both sides but the whole thing could have been avoided had Grisham not pushed it? Trust me, I have my own arguments about Government and what the "Law" can and can't do, but pushing this the way Grisham...or anyone else did/does certainly does not help people like you and I wanting to keep our gun rights in tact.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: westexhunt] #4684118 10/23/13 10:23 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
I'm not sure how anyone believes Grisham won here.....it was a mistrial, meaning it's not over unless the charge is dropped by the court......this was a split verdict, not a "Not Guilty" verdict. By next year there will probably be new laws addressing just what Grisham was doing......Big Win for Gun Rights.......NOT!

Last edited by Concho; 10/23/13 10:29 AM.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Beretta] #4684120 10/23/13 10:27 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
I heard the jury was 5-1 in favor of not guilty, the 1 was a temple LEO wife. This is not fact, just what I have heard.

Way to throw out a little gossip and misinformation about a trial......

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Concho] #4684151 10/23/13 11:04 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
The county should drop the lawsuit and move on down the road. Nothing good will come of a retrial, and it's just costing the taxpayers a boatload of money.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Concho] #4684270 10/23/13 12:21 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Concho

rofl it came from a pretty reliable source

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Beretta] #4684359 10/23/13 01:03 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

rofl it came from a pretty reliable source

"After 16 hours of deliberation, two days of testimony and seven trips back to the courtroom to get further instruction from the judge, the longest jury trial of a Class B misdemeanor case on record in Bell County came to an end when the jurors hung hopelessly, 5 to 1 for acquittal."

http://watchdogwire.com/texas/2013/10/18...n-grisham-case/

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: cdoan02] #4684370 10/23/13 01:09 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
"Members of the public will not get a chance to form their own opinion because the video has been placed under an extended gag order following the end of the trial. The judge assured the defense attorney that he would assess severe penalties if his order is ignored and the spectacle appears on Facebook or any other form of exhibition."

"The judge excluded the public from witnessing jury selection, hearing jurors’ questions and the reading of the verdict."

Hmmm... Public jury trial completely hidden from the public... Seems legit.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4684380 10/23/13 01:12 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
"The complaint went through three amendments of the charges, starting with resisting arrest, then changed to a violation of the disorderly conduct statute – rude display of a weapon in a manner calculated to cause alarm – and ended with the charge of interfering with a public official as he was trying to perform his appointed duty, that of disarming a soldier loudly protesting the loss of his weapon to a police officer unwilling to acknowledge that he could legally possess a firearm though he has a concealed carry permit for handguns."

Amazing police work.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Mr. Clean] #4684387 10/23/13 01:15 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

Until I can see the dashcam video, all I can go by is what information has been released. And from everything I saw/read:

Both the officer and Mr. Grisham acted like d-bags.

Only one of them abused/broke the law.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Concho] #4684394 10/23/13 01:18 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I'm not sure how anyone believes Grisham won here.....it was a mistrial, meaning it's not over unless the charge is dropped by the court......this was a split verdict, not a "Not Guilty" verdict. By next year there will probably be new laws addressing just what Grisham was doing......Big Win for Gun Rights.......NOT!

Well, the majority of people simply bend over and take it when being oppressed by Rambo cops taking the law into their own hands... Most simply accept a plea bargain, as it is the path of least resistance, even if the citizen knows they did absolutely nothing wrong. CJ Grisham fought it. Big win for the oppressed citizen.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: Concho] #4684615 10/23/13 02:40 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Yep just another OCD (Open Carry Douchebag) screwing things up for gun rights.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: ntxtrapper] #4684674 10/23/13 03:08 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

Hmmm... Some would say it's just another douchebag power tripping cop looking to impose his authoritaaaaaah over a law abiding citizen.

Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: ntxtrapper] #4684736 10/23/13 03:28 PM
J
Jangle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I know MSG Grisham, glad he gets his guns back. He is the type who could care less about folks sitting around from an armchair making judgements which are clearly wrong since in the end he walked. Also anyone who wants to ridicule the man, unless you get a evaul about you that looks like this...

Well figure it out.

"A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops."
-- Gen. John J. Pershing
Re: Mistrial in case of soldier "rudely" carrying his Rifle [Re: cdoan02] #4684741 10/23/13 03:30 PM
J
Jangle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

Hmmm... Some would say it's just another douchebag power tripping cop looking to impose his authoritaaaaaah over a law abiding citizen.

Have to agree with cdoan, mistrial or not the man will get his firearms and permit back. Great use of tax dollars, considering it won't cost Grisham a dime.

"A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops."
-- Gen. John J. Pershing
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide