Forums46
Topics538,157
Posts9,733,645
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: stxranchman] #4670066 10/18/13 01:41 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I think we should have TPWD stock javi's in East Texas and other areas that do not have them so they can enjoy them. Then we could have a season and tags again. popcorn

i actually remember being so happy when i got on a lease in llano in the early 90's because it had hogs, it was almost a deciding factor, little did i know....

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: jshouse] #4670864 10/18/13 02:28 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: jshouse
I think we should have TPWD stock javi's in East Texas and other areas that do not have them so they can enjoy them. Then we could have a season and tags again. popcorn

i actually remember being so happy when i got on a lease in llano in the early 90's because it had hogs, it was almost a deciding factor, little did i know....

The reason we haven't fenced all of our feeders is because we didn't want to be completely rid of hogs. They are fun to hunt and good eating.

I have suggested fencing all but one, but don't think it went over to well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: jshouse] #4670949 10/18/13 02:48 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: jshouse
wuttahyall know from funny

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: alexrex20

But if I was hunting over a feeder and a big aoudad came into the corn, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat.

With a permit I hope! wink

What? a permit for aoudad? no such thing
Originally Posted By: rifleman
i just wanna know where i get my aoudad permits?

The same place you get your teal tagsup

Teal tags are serious business. I have 40 that have rolled over from the past 3 seasons.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: stxranchman] #4671016 10/18/13 03:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

here here!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: txtrophy85] #4671093 10/18/13 03:31 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If anyone wants to bring me 30 or so I'd gladly take them. I miss the little bast...s. Are they a whip'n sometimes yes, do they eat all your precious corn yes, (same could be said about turkeys) but they add diversity to the land scape and in a round about twisted way I believe they improve the deer herd.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: SingleShot85] #4671231 10/18/13 04:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
If anyone wants to bring me 30 or so I'd gladly take them. I miss the little bast...s. Are they a whip'n sometimes yes, do they eat all your precious corn yes, (same could be said about turkeys) but they add diversity to the land scape and in a round about twisted way I believe they improve the deer herd.

You feeling ok today SingleShot85? You bump you get kicked in the head this moring? hammer grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: stxranchman] #4671285 10/18/13 04:33 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
well we flew the ranch last weekend and I only saw two pigs, I figured I needed some diversity....

getting kicked in the head would be better than the cold i'm fighting barf

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: rifleman] #4671564 10/18/13 06:03 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Then the easiest fix is to reclassify javelina as non-game to join feral hogs.

Feral Hogs are not classified as a non game animal. They are classified as Exotic Livestock.

Unprotected, exotic, non game animals up

The two are not the same. Exotic livestock are not non game animals or game animals. They fall under the ownership of the landowner and not the citizens of the state as part of the Texas Agriculture Code. Because Javelina are native to Texas they can't be classified as Exotic Livestock.

Non Game animals are native and owned by the citizens of the state, but animals classified as "non game" fall into a real mess of regulations now, requiring a non game permit if you go over a possession limit, and require a commercial non gamme permit if involved in a commercial activity. When Javelina were not protected, they were trapped, spotlighted, hunted with dogs, etc. commercially to sell the hides for leather and brushes. TPWD is not going to put them on the non game list allowing them to be market hunted again.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/huntwild/nongame_permits.phtml

I am old enough to remember javelina tags. I don't know why they did away with them, but I imagine they determined the population was stable enough to be managed by landowners on their own honor rather than a tag system, same as most small game animals that have bag limits without tags. There is also a Managed Lands Javelina Permit that has been in place since 2007 for large landowners to be able to manage outside those regulations.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: stxranchman] #4671572 10/18/13 06:08 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

You can stock them if your in the historical range. They used to range all the way to the red river.
https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/privatelands/permitTTTHelpJavelina.seam?cid=25688

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: SingleShot85] #4671574 10/18/13 06:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

I think they should de-list turkeys as a game animal as well

they are worse than javalina's

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: redchevy] #4671645 10/18/13 06:38 PM
D
deerslayer64d Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: redchevy
In my opinion Javi's eat as well or better than deer. They are a native species and I believe they need to be protected. We have some but not a bunch for the most part they make themselves scarce. When they get bold and become a nuisance we shoot a few, but I always try to use them.

Anyone who says they eat bad doesn't know:
1- what they are talking about
2- has never given the effort to try

^^^^^^^%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
I had a family of 11 on my last lease ,every year I would take a small one for BBQ they eat very good . They did not tear up my feeders or fences like the hogs do & I liked having them around , your Texas hunting license used to have peckery tags on it back in the day !!

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: bp3] #4671688 10/18/13 06:52 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: bp3
Pass this on to the ranchers in the big bend area and get their opinion.Ask how many fences they have to repair.

Honest question what do they do to fences?

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: OFBHWG] #4671815 10/18/13 07:30 PM
R
rob valle Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
They always make me laugh. Once I was watching one at my feeder eating his fill. I guess he got tired because he layed down and rested for about 20 mins. Then he got back up and kept eating.

Another time my Grandpa was watching two of them "doing the tango" from his blind. The male javi got tired and had to rest his head on the females back a few times before he could finish "the tango". My Grandpa was laughing so hard he couldn't shoot.

I like them and think they are cool little critters. I just wish they were afforded something better than the "honor system" because I have seen them killed and thrown out like garbage.

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: rob valle] #4672009 10/18/13 08:39 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
^^^

I hunted on a this ranch in Hebbronville, there was a protected 3 leg'ed guy (completely missing his left hind leg) he would waddle out about 5 minutes before the feeder would go off sit under it and wait..... as soon as it would start spit'n out corn he would just sit there with his mouth wide open and catch what he could. After it stopped spinning he would stand up and crunch corn till he had his fill then waddle off.

He was a feature attraction once hunter had killed their trophy

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: dogcatcher] #4672041 10/18/13 08:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: rob valle
In my opinion Javi's eat as well or better than deer. They are a native species and I believe they need to be protected. We have some but not a bunch for the most part they make themselves scarce. When they get bold and become a nuisance we shoot a few, but I always try to use them.

I agree. Everytime I have eaten it, it has been good. I know they stink, but if you are careful when skinning and remove the scent gland, they are fine. Also, as a native animal I believe they have the right to be protected like the other ones. Could you imagine if TPWD said you could only shoot 2 bucks per year but not issue tags? Riiigghhttt......

X2

I truly admire you boys' willingness to clean a javi and culinary expertise in making it palatable.

Only killed a couple but they were funky little beasts.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4672051 10/18/13 08:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: rob valle

I agree. Everytime I have eaten it, it has been good. I know they stink, but if you are careful when skinning and remove the scent gland, they are fine. Also, as a native animal I believe they have the right to be protected like the other ones. Could you imagine if TPWD said you could only shoot 2 bucks per year but not issue tags? Riiigghhttt......

X2

I truly admire you boys' willingness to clean a javi and culinary expertise in making it palatable.

Only killed a couple but they were funky little beasts.

Not really that hard to make one edible. Skin it first and never let the hair side of the hide touch the carcass when skinning. The little ones are actually really good eating.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: stxranchman] #4672153 10/18/13 09:37 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
I shot one at chaparral wma. Gutted it, skinned it, and got it on ice. Sprinkled it with kosher salt and kept it on ice for three days. Processed it like a deer. It was good eating. My family said they liked it better than venison. Let my grandma try some fried blackstrap cutlets and some chili I made also, she loved it, but would not believe it was javelina.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: mbavo] #4672204 10/18/13 09:57 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Tamales Tamales Tamales.........

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: SingleShot85] #4672251 10/18/13 10:16 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I don't know what people have against them. When we hunted down South I always liked watching them. Heck, their eye sight is so bad you can normally get within 30 yards of them. Never shot one, just didn't see the point.

They are a native and natural part of the ecosystem. Unlike hogs, they aren't destructive, don't compete, etc.

Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: TxAg] #4673752 10/19/13 03:48 PM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
As long as the javelina population is healthy no tags are needed. That being said TPWD should help with repopulating areas that are lacking javelina.

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #4673966 10/19/13 05:39 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
No. They aren't hunted enough. Yet.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Should TPWD have Javelina Tags? [Re: redchevy] #4675129 10/20/13 03:47 AM
C
crazyal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Very good to eat. Most people say they aren't and have never tried them. It is hard to get past the smell while the skin is still on though

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide