Page 1 of 2 1 2
asking farmer to use his land #4652278 10/12/13 03:28 AM
H
heartlandnewbie Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
anybody familiar with asking a farmer/rancher to use their land to hunt on? What kinds of things do I need to bring up. If i get a yes, what should i give in return? (labor, portion of meat, christmas card/gift?) I cant swing the thousands of dollars i know some of you guys spend every year to go hunt on a lease( not saying thats a bad thing, just not in the cards for me) BTW, im hunting in kansas and I know they have the walk in program but ive heard from multiple sources that those places are extremely overhunted and a dangerous mix of people not knowing what their doing and too many people on a small parcel of land. Not wanting to take that chance?

They've never drove through Indiana,
Met the men who plowed that earth,
Planted that seed, busted his [censored] for you and me,
Or caught a harvest moon in Kansas,
They'd understand why god made
Those fly over states
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: heartlandnewbie] #4652283 10/12/13 03:30 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have no clue how it works in Kansas, but welcome to THF.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: dogcatcher] #4652332 10/12/13 03:46 AM
H
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
thanx dogcatcher

Those fly over states
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: heartlandnewbie] #4652360 10/12/13 04:01 AM
S
scottnsa Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I would ask permission first and offer to help around the place. If I got to go I would definitely share meat. Other than that I would just be nice and respect their land.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: scottnsa] #4652407 10/12/13 04:42 AM
C
Crawdaddct Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
The main question if he is willing to lease it is, do your kids also hunt the place. Nothing like getting it all set up and show up to find the farmers son hunting your feeders. I have ran into that several times. Need to set boundries up front.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Crawdaddct] #4652455 10/12/13 05:51 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The first thing is he'll appreciate the fact that you are asking permission!!! Just ask, the worst thing is he'll say no!!! Offer to do some work, give him some of the meat and tell him you will let him know when you are out there and where you'll be!!! Just be respectful of him and his property!!! You are basically selling yourself!!! With a lot of honest country folk a handshake is still a deal!!!

Last edited by Seadog; 10/12/13 05:54 AM.

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Seadog] #4652466 10/12/13 06:39 AM
D
Daven Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Seadog
The first thing is he'll appreciate the fact that you are asking permission!!! Just ask, the worst thing is he'll say no!!! Offer to do some work, give him some of the meat and tell him you will let him know when you are out there and where you'll be!!! Just be respectful of him and his property!!! You are basically selling yourself!!! With a lot of honest country folk a handshake is still a deal!!!

Exactly.... So, if you have a family with interests also that you need to tend to, don't offer work..... Guaranteed, you'll be asked to help on the day you were to take mom shopping or the kids fishing..... either choice you make will put you in hot water. Give up some meat, bottle of toothache medicine, or something.... You'll figure it out...

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Daven] #4652510 10/12/13 09:00 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
we bought ham's for the landowners last year around christmas and always offer them some venison or pork when we get it. if its a place you really want you might offer to just bow hunt it, especially if they live on the place or have livestock, if they've never had hunters before they may be more apt to allow a bowhunter.

good luck

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: jshouse] #4652737 10/12/13 01:07 PM
dfabilene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Put yourself in his position. What would you want someone to say to you?

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: dfabilene] #4653429 10/12/13 06:10 PM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Be specific. Who will be hunting, just you, you and a buddy, you and your kid? What are you hunting? When are you hunting? I.E. Just weekends, mornings and evenings etc. Do you want access to his whole farm or just one field? Are you going to have feeders, stands, cameras etc. Are you expecting exclusive rights, meaning are you going to be upset when the farmers son in law is hunting where he gave you permission to hunt? Can you pay anything at all for a hunting spot? Offer something to him, fill his feeders, take his grandson hunting, shoot coyotes, share your game cam pics with him, pick up trash, put your own lock on the gate, don't ask for a key/combination, watch for trespassers. Also make sure to have your references ready.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Spence] #4653432 10/12/13 06:11 PM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Some of these guys are just looking for a buddy to listen to them tell stories, so be prepared for some face time. By the way, what area in Kansas?

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Spence] #4653464 10/12/13 06:24 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Spence
Some of these guys are just looking for a buddy to listen to them tell stories, so be prepared for some face time...

yep, and pick their okra for them, and roll up about 300ft of soaker hose, and put out some hay for their cows, and run to town for some chew...

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: jshouse] #4653695 10/12/13 08:29 PM
H
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
i live in franklin county spence, ottawa to be specific. Its an hour south of kc. Im goin to ask a fellow down the road when he gets back from Las Vegas. Hes a family friend so I might have some pull with him. Im looking for some place I can hunt regularly. Not really exclusive but some place that I can put up a stand(s) and cameras and feeders.

Those fly over states
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: jshouse] #4653700 10/12/13 08:32 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Spence
Some of these guys are just looking for a buddy to listen to them tell stories, so be prepared for some face time...

yep, and pick their okra for them, and roll up about 300ft of soaker hose, and put out some hay for their cows, and run to town for some chew...

All so worth it if ya ask me. My first hunt was right on the Kansas/Missouri border in Mindenmines. Lots a good folks up there. I'm sure you won't be the first to ask so dont expect them to be surprised.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Bullfrog] #4654374 10/13/13 01:38 AM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Okay, I know Ottawa, I hunt not far from you, southeast of Oswatomie near Fontana.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Spence] #4654495 10/13/13 02:26 AM
H
Honkey911 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
all the places ive ever hunted have been for free hand shake deals and a lot of listening some one said earlier if you just talk to them for a while most of them will let you do anything on their place

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Honkey911] #4655678 10/13/13 06:00 PM
H
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
cool spence

Those fly over states
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: heartlandnewbie] #4655714 10/13/13 06:18 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
In our area hunting is business and most owners are aware of what hunters will pay. We have been on the same place for 12 years, year around access without a price increase. We do keep the place clean and take care of any repairs needed. They like the cash but I think they now appreciate us very much. Too bad they did not know us so well in the beginning, maybe we could have got it for less.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Wilhunt] #4656300 10/13/13 10:03 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
it amazes me how many i talk to up here that have never had someone ask to hunt their land, they have caught people hunting before, but nobody until me has ever asked.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Wilhunt] #4656307 10/13/13 10:04 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
it amazes me how many LO's i talk to up here that have never had someone ask to hunt their land, they have caught people hunting before, but nobody until me has ever asked. sometimes it works, sometimes it dont.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: jshouse] #4658225 10/14/13 03:41 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You are right, it sure don't hurt to ask. Who knows it might lead to something elsewhere.

Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: Wilhunt] #4658351 10/14/13 04:22 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
On the places I was able to hunt for free I have done some labor/work for the people, brought them some of the meat if they wanted(the last ones said no to backstrap and asked about sausage) Also a Christmas care is a nice idea. We have gone to the local meat market and made a goody basket out of dry sausage, salami, jerky cheese etc for them as well. Little things can go a long way. Another big thing is just show that your grateful, tell them thank you and you had a great time. Talk to them and offer to help when you can. Giving up an evening hunt to help look for a lost calf and fix a fence is a small price to pay.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: redchevy] #4659809 10/14/13 11:36 PM
J
JakeJJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Just plain ol BSing will get you a long way. Talked with the in-laws, neighbors one night and we got onto the subject of hunting. Bam, Permission to hunt even without asking. Just one condition, Kill as many coyotes as I can. However, The free/handshake properties can have a downside. I lost permission to hunt the land one week before bow season this year. Had to pull all feeders, stands, cameras, and the camper in 3 days. When someone comes along with a fist full of money, that green looks pretty good. All you can do is shake their hand, thank them for the opportunity to hunt and try to find another place. Thats the only issue with a handshake agreement, no signed piece of paper. Such is life.

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: heartlandnewbie] #4660204 10/15/13 01:12 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: heartlandnewbie
anybody familiar with asking a farmer/rancher to use their land to hunt on? What kinds of things do I need to bring up. If i get a yes, what should i give in return? (labor, portion of meat, christmas card/gift?) I cant swing the thousands of dollars i know some of you guys spend every year to go hunt on a lease( not saying thats a bad thing, just not in the cards for me) BTW, im hunting in kansas and I know they have the walk in program but ive heard from multiple sources that those places are extremely overhunted and a dangerous mix of people not knowing what their doing and too many people on a small parcel of land. Not wanting to take that chance?

Biggest donkeys have the best hunting... For that reason. Good side is once you win them over it will be a great relationship for as long has you hold up your end.

Good luck. How I hunted my way through college. It can be done.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: asking farmer to use his land [Re: scottnsa] #4660448 10/15/13 02:08 AM
3 shots 1 kill. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: scottnsa
I would ask permission first and offer to help around the place. If I got to go I would definitely share meat. Other than that I would just be nice and respect their land.

THIS^^^^^^^^^

welcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide