Forums46
Topics538,943
Posts9,743,192
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: LandPirate] #4643970 10/09/13 05:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I've hunted just about every method imaginable. I've sat on the hard, frozen ground for hours. I've sat exposed to the elements in a tree. I've sat on a rock ledge watching a the wash below and the far hillside. I've sat in tripods, plush box blinds with heat, crappy old box blinds that could have fallen at any moment. I even hunted out of a $30,000 custom box blind that raised and lowered hydraulically. I've rattled. I've built brush blinds. Hunted over food plots, crops and corn feeders. I've hunted safari style. Hunted over no food or attractants. Hunted trails, creek bottoms, senderos and pear flats. Brush country to the piney woods to west Texas. Big property to small property. High fence to low fence.

I've never had trouble connecting with what I considered a trophy. Some took longer than others. But the main thing is that I enjoyed every minute of every hunt regardless of the method or style or location. Quit the senseless bickering about who's is the mightiest whitest hunter and just go hunt.

you said it all brother

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Kenneth1977] #4644057 10/09/13 05:47 PM
F
Fishenstein Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Up until 1991, not only had you never seen a feeder nor sat in a box stand but I bet you also didn't have a computer, went online to blog about deer hunting, carried a cell phone in your pocket, texted your hunting buddies to see if they were seeing anything, or used a game camera to help pattern deer...the list goes on. Yet here you are blogging about people who use feeders from your computer while probably checking a text from one of your hunting buddies that is sitting in your box stand viewing the pictures off your game camera.

Point being, things improve over time. New hunting tactics and ideas emerge just like with everything else. No need to hunt like its 1966 if hunting like its 2013 works for the person.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txtrophy85] #4644131 10/09/13 06:14 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I've hunted just about every method imaginable. I've sat on the hard, frozen ground for hours. I've sat exposed to the elements in a tree. I've sat on a rock ledge watching a the wash below and the far hillside. I've sat in tripods, plush box blinds with heat, crappy old box blinds that could have fallen at any moment. I even hunted out of a $30,000 custom box blind that raised and lowered hydraulically. I've rattled. I've built brush blinds. Hunted over food plots, crops and corn feeders. I've hunted safari style. Hunted over no food or attractants. Hunted trails, creek bottoms, senderos and pear flats. Brush country to the piney woods to west Texas. Big property to small property. High fence to low fence.

I've never had trouble connecting with what I considered a trophy. Some took longer than others. But the main thing is that I enjoyed every minute of every hunt regardless of the method or style or location. Quit the senseless bickering about who's is the mightiest whitest hunter and just go hunt.

you said it all brother

amen!
As long as I am out in the woods I am happy!

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txtrophy85] #4644141 10/09/13 06:17 PM
R
Ratrod101 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Whats the difference in getting out, scouting game trails, pinch points, rubs, water sources, etc.....and putting up a blind vs sitting on a stump, besides comfort?

Whats the difference in scouting for the best acorn producing tree(s) and sitting on a stump vs scouting the area and putting up a feeder and sitting in a blind?

Isnt a feeder just a man made acorn tree? After high winds/thunderstorm, we always knew there would be deer under the "ole akern tree".

Don't we ALL share the desire, the challenge, the feeling right when "the shooter" walks within range?.....personally I don't care if you are sitting on a stump, on a scouted area or sitting in box blind watching a feeder.....all I REALLY care about is 1) knowing that feeling and most importantly, 2) hearing about your experience and seeing if something I can take away from it making me a better hunter, in my eyes.

Maybe to one hunter, part of the hunting experience and challenge IS buying all the gear, paying for prime land, packing up, dragging his butt out of bed in a cabin and climbing in a heated blind with a guide quoting him trophy fees as monsters walk out.....maybe that's the rush he gets when he pulls the trigger.

I think most of us fall in between somewhere.....I would even bet that there are just as many guys that REALLY know how to pattern deer, really understand how to scout land, etc wished they could afford the bells and whistles as there are guys that have money to burn that wished they just knew a little more about how to pattern deer and were more "in tune" with the woods.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4644322 10/09/13 07:31 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Damn it! Well I tried.....

Maybe if I get close enough to see into a deers soul and feel the deers emotions.... he'll have no choice but to certify me legit and primitive approved.

The fact that you ridicule the experience of being in a wild animals personal space tells me everything I need to know. By your words, I expect you'll always be a guy that sits in a box and kills deer. If that's all you ever want from hunting, congratulations! You have achieved success.
soap

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Ratrod101] #4644342 10/09/13 07:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
Whats the difference in getting out, scouting game trails, pinch points, rubs, water sources, etc.....and putting up a blind vs sitting on a stump, besides comfort?

Whats the difference in scouting for the best acorn producing tree(s) and sitting on a stump vs scouting the area and putting up a feeder and sitting in a blind?

Isnt a feeder just a man made acorn tree? After high winds/thunderstorm, we always knew there would be deer under the "ole akern tree".

Don't we ALL share the desire, the challenge, the feeling right when "the shooter" walks within range?.....personally I don't care if you are sitting on a stump, on a scouted area or sitting in box blind watching a feeder.....all I REALLY care about is 1) knowing that feeling and most importantly, 2) hearing about your experience and seeing if something I can take away from it making me a better hunter, in my eyes.

Maybe to one hunter, part of the hunting experience and challenge IS buying all the gear, paying for prime land, packing up, dragging his butt out of bed in a cabin and climbing in a heated blind with a guide quoting him trophy fees as monsters walk out.....maybe that's the rush he gets when he pulls the trigger.

I think most of us fall in between somewhere.....I would even bet that there are just as many guys that REALLY know how to pattern deer, really understand how to scout land, etc wished they could afford the bells and whistles as there are guys that have money to burn that wished they just knew a little more about how to pattern deer and were more "in tune" with the woods.

All good points.

IMO, it brings us back to the point of free chase and has the animal been given plenty of opportunity to get away. This is not to say that it's unethical to use a feeder when it's legal to do so. But the animal that shows up at one of many white oaks that drops acorns for two or three weeks of the year, probably has a better chance than one that has been patterned to come to a feeder.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Fishenstein] #4644365 10/09/13 07:50 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Fishenstein
Point being, things improve over time. New hunting tactics and ideas emerge just like with everything else. No need to hunt like its 1966 if hunting like its 2013 works for the person.

One thing for sure...you and I hunt for different reasons. For the umpteenth time, neither way is wrong. Since it's 2013 and you brought this up, what do you have to say to the guys hunting with black powder or (God forbid!) bows? You already said it; no need to hunt like that.

For anyone that didn't read the OP or didn't understand the point of the OP, here it is. Read slowly and carefully.

It's sad that when deer aren't coming to corn feeders because of the acorn drop, some people think their hunt is ruined.

Do I need to repeat that? Because I don't see where I said anything about one method being better than another. I simply lamented the apparent loss of some hunters ability to adapt and take advantage of a situation. Those that can't read deer sign any better than they can read posts (blogs?) probably are better off strictly hunting a feeder. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4644391 10/09/13 07:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

One thing for sure...you and I hunt for different reasons. For the umpteenth time, neither way is wrong. Since it's 2013 and you brought this up, what do you have to say to the guys hunting with black powder or (God forbid!) bows? You already said it; no need to hunt like that.

For anyone that didn't read the OP or didn't understand the point of the OP, here it is. Read slowly and carefully.

It's sad that when deer aren't coming to corn feeders because of the acorn drop, some people think their hunt is ruined.

Do I need to repeat that? Because I don't see where I said anything about one method being better than another. I simply lamented the apparent loss of some hunters ability to adapt and take advantage of a situation. Those that can't read deer sign any better than they can read posts (blogs?) probably are better off strictly hunting a feeder. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

While there has been some movement by the anti's to focus on bow hunting as being less humane than firearms, I feel the majority of the non-hunting majority are less concerned with what we use to make the harvest, so long as it provides a quick kill. Where they would most likely find objections are methods that leaves the animal little or no chance to avoid whatever we choose to throw at them.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4644491 10/09/13 08:33 PM
D
Daven Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

While there has been some movement by the anti's to focus on bow hunting as being less humane than firearms, I feel the majority of the non-hunting majority are less concerned with what we use to make the harvest, so long as it provides a quick kill. Where they would most likely find objections are methods that leaves the animal little or no chance to avoid whatever we choose to throw at them.

No bow hunting here, no steel traps, no buckshot for deer or pigs, minimum of 1000 joules energy at 100 yds for roe deer and minimum of 6.5 mm and 2000 joules energy at 100 yds for anything bigger... Never underestimate the power of the huggers....

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Daven] #4644518 10/09/13 08:44 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Arent joules units of currency in Hyrule? confused2

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4644520 10/09/13 08:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
jensent has a butler named Joules......

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4644529 10/09/13 08:48 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Is he the one with the vulgar wallet? Dont dig on swine? And quotes bible verses?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Daven] #4644575 10/09/13 09:04 PM
A
A_Phiend Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Great thread for a guy just getting back in to hunting... I grew up hunting our own land, spending a lot of time out there scouting, picking a few spots that I knew deer fed at, and a few spots that were routes that the deer traveled to get to feed areas. It's awesome to have a deer come up close to you when you're at one of those areas. All that said, advances in technique are something that god gave us as a trait, which makes us different then anything else on the planet. Whether you are going to the deer, or bringing the deer to you is irrelevant to me, but knowing how to do both is the key to success IMO, and is what I plan on teaching my kids.

The OP makes a valid point, and it's a great discussion to have IMO while we're all waiting to get out in the woods.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Kenneth1977] #4644595 10/09/13 09:12 PM
F
FreerOrBust Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Here here

Just doing it for fun now.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: A_Phiend] #4644664 10/09/13 09:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: A_Phiend
Great thread for a guy just getting back in to hunting... I grew up hunting our own land, spending a lot of time out there scouting, picking a few spots that I knew deer fed at, and a few spots that were routes that the deer traveled to get to feed areas. It's awesome to have a deer come up close to you when you're at one of those areas. All that said, advances in technique are something that god gave us as a trait, which makes us different then anything else on the planet. Whether you are going to the deer, or bringing the deer to you is irrelevant to me, but knowing how to do both is the key to success IMO, and is what I plan on teaching my kids.

The OP makes a valid point, and it's a great discussion to have IMO while we're all waiting to get out in the woods.

At the end of the day, consumption of the resource is our best defense. If someone challenges you for shooting a deer at a feeder, you can ask them about the cow that was the source of their last burger and how well it was fed before slaughter.

After all, you can't eat antlers.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4644694 10/09/13 09:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Is he the one with the vulgar wallet? Dont dig on swine? And quotes bible verses?

He's the wealthy young man who posts about the trials of life such as the Wyoming ranch/vacation home's sparse furnishings, how hard it is to get a good latte' in the Denver airport, and such as that. IDK about the swine and bible verses....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4644717 10/09/13 09:46 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
No difference in todays baiting than what we did in the early sixties in southern Val Verde County. We would find a huge sotol plant and expose the insides with an axe for the deer to eat. A big sotol would furnish several days of good hill sitting "stand" hunting. If an axe was forgotten we would run into them with a jeep and tear them apart but would occasionally get high centered on them.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4644777 10/09/13 10:17 PM
A
A_Phiend Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: A_Phiend

At the end of the day, consumption of the resource is our best defense. If someone challenges you for shooting a deer at a feeder, you can ask them about the cow that was the source of their last burger and how well it was fed before slaughter.

After all, you can't eat antlers.

Agreed, and I'll add that teaching our kids how to hunt and fish, to have respect for nature, how to provide for themselves and their families is the only way it will survive. The anti-hunting crowd don't realize how hypocritical they are, and they will never understand it...they will always need somebody to provide for them.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: A_Phiend] #4644903 10/09/13 10:55 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have been reading on the forum lately that many so called hunters are mad because there is in some areas a good acorn crop. They must be thinking only of themselves and not for the deer. Acorns have been a staple for the deer long before there were people like us hunting. So the deer are not coming to your feeder like they were a couple of weeks ago. If you consider yourself a real hunter you would find the oaks the deer are working on and hunt there. It is not rocket science patterning deer at this time. Find the Oaks they are hitting and hunt them. Winter is coming on and they are trying to get ready for it. If there were no acorns in some areas it would not be good for their survival through the winter.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: don k] #4644980 10/09/13 11:23 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: don k
I have been reading on the forum lately that many so called hunters are mad because there is in some areas a good acorn crop. They must be thinking only of themselves and not for the deer. Acorns have been a staple for the deer long before there were people like us hunting. So the deer are not coming to your feeder like they were a couple of weeks ago. If you consider yourself a real hunter you would find the oaks the deer are working on and hunt there. It is not rocket science patterning deer at this time. Find the Oaks they are hitting and hunt them. Winter is coming on and they are trying to get ready for it. If there were no acorns in some areas it would not be good for their survival through the winter.

Yes, but what if the oaks aren't on their lease? Or they on the other side of the lease. Not everyone can roam the land. This is why they are upset. Now, all they have to do is wait for them to rot and they will be back in business.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4645034 10/09/13 11:40 PM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

I...think...your...sarcasm...may...have...been...interpreted...wrong...then.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: bigpigtx] #4645173 10/10/13 12:34 AM
J
jdd912 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I hunted out of a stand over a feeder for about 10 years then moved off to college and then into the panhandle. Now I hunt by driving and glassing or basically trying to hide in the wide open in the sand hills. I love both ways of hunting. I love being outdoors. Either way I consider it hunting. With that said I have killed a 180+ inch mule deer and one that went just over 160 both in the wide rear open. I love to hunt no matter how I get to do it.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4645276 10/10/13 01:14 AM
C
Cannon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
As an old man who has been deer hunting since 1966, my opinions are usually considered as coming from experience or dementia. Your opinion dictates which it is.

I find it both humorous and sad when I see posts talking about how acorns have ruined a deer hunt. Is this generation of deer hunters so conditioned to sitting in a box watching a feeder that they don't know how to hunt? That's the way it appears.

I had never even seen a deer feeder till 1991. Nor had I ever sat I a box to hunt. I seemed to have killed my fair share of deer somehow. I scouted. I watched deer. I knew where the sweetest acorns were. I knew where the deer bedded down and what routes they travelled. If I sat for a day and didn't see deer, I had a darn good idea where they were. Hunting the Post Oak Savannah, my entire lease was Oak trees.

Instead of whining that you have too many Oaks to hunt them, try Still Hunting them (some of you may have to Google that). You may be surprised at how many deer you see. Or you may be surprised at what a mediocre deer hunter you are when you don't have a box and a feeder. bolt

I decline to select experience or dementia, I think your myopic opinion is more accurately ascribed to ego. Why else would you feel compelled to criticize something that has absolutely no impact on you? I've killed deer about every legal way you can imagine, and don't think there is a one way is always better answer. It depends on circumstances. But just keep on sitting in red bugs and telling yourself how your the last real hunter left.

Last edited by Cannon; 10/10/13 01:21 AM.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4645490 10/10/13 02:22 AM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Did you drive a model T to your pinch point to hunt and arm yourself with a self made bow and squat in the woods when you had the urge and use a sharpened rock to dress your deer and sleep out on the ground wrapped in a buffalo skin and cook on an open fire and roll your own smokes?

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Kenneth1977] #4645711 10/10/13 03:18 AM
T
tightlines24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Some of you guys are being overly harsh in my opinion on the original poster. I have read his post many times and I don't think he is blasting anyone for how they hunt just that some hunters today have no idea how to change their tactics if conditions change. I would have to agree that it is sad that many have no idea how to adjust to the situation. I am also a coach and if my opponent takes part of my game plan away I better change what I am doing or it will be a long night. Hunting is the same way, if deer aren't coming to your feeder or have changed their patterns you better figure something out or your just spitting into the wind.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide