Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL #4630378 10/04/13 04:38 PM
J
Jordan A Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I have heard that people with a CHL in Texas or other states are less likely to actually be given a ticket once pulled over for traffic stops. Anyone had any experience or thoughts regarding this?

Last Saturday around 5:15 on the way to the land for opening bow weekend I was pulled over for going 72 in a 60. It was dark, I was unfamiliar with the roads, and I think the speed had just changed. My girlfriend was with me, I explained where we were going and it was pretty obvious he could tell that is what we were up to.

He made me get out and pull my holster out, he cleared the handgun and kept the clip and round that was in the chamber in his pocket. Left my gun on the back of the car while I got back in. I know that I do not have to actually give him my gun, unless he feels in danger or threatened.I could have argued this point, but he was nice and I wanted to get to the lease faster than dealing with that.

Anyways he didn't even give me a warning and told me to slow down. Was it because of my chl or other reasons? He asked me how I liked my carry gun and what kind of ammo it was etc... gave us something in common.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Jordan A] #4630423 10/04/13 04:56 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Wow he went the extra mile unloading and separating the mags.

There is no way to no if it was because of CHL

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Jordan A] #4630444 10/04/13 05:06 PM
D
deedeetaylor Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I do think you are less likely to get ticketed, though I think it goes beyond just having a CHL. First of all, you cooperated without attitude. You demonstrated knowledge of the situation and with legal responsibility..you had and gave the LEO the proper documentation. You were respectful and acted in a manner that showed concern and awareness, allowing the officer to rest his guard. Also, having the CHL means your background has been checked and you are probably not a risk. Further, when he called in, you had no warrants so you have been responsible with the TxDMV. A model citizen with a heavy foot is easier to show leniency than many of the dotes the LEOs deal with daily.

"The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: deedeetaylor] #4630726 10/04/13 06:45 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deedeetaylor
I do think you are less likely to get ticketed, though I think it goes beyond just having a CHL. First of all, you cooperated without attitude. You demonstrated knowledge of the situation and with legal responsibility..you had and gave the LEO the proper documentation. You were respectful and acted in a manner that showed concern and awareness, allowing the officer to rest his guard. Also, having the CHL means your background has been checked and you are probably not a risk. Further, when he called in, you had no warrants so you have been responsible with the TxDMV. A model citizen with a heavy foot is easier to show leniency than many of the dotes the LEOs deal with daily.

Very good response. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: dogcatcher] #4630839 10/04/13 07:16 PM
C
Concho Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Most likely your attitude of cooperation was the reason you did not get a ticket......think of it this way, If I stop you and you recognize that you were speeding and display a good attitude, I would be secure in the fact that you would slow down......tickets are not suppose to be an avenue to generate income, they are suppose to force compliance with the traffic laws. I would however not touch your conceal carry weapon or even ask if you had one, the CHL tells me all I need to know, doesn't mean an officer won't ask you for your weapon and I certainly don't blame the men and ladies working alone in east, north, south, or west Texas.

Last edited by Concho; 10/04/13 07:17 PM.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Jordan A] #4631078 10/04/13 08:55 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I don't know. I don't have a CHL but was going rabbit hunting early in the morning once & running late, It was dark and I got busted speeding. Me and a buddy were in my truck with two shotguns between us in the cab. Trooper asked why was I speeding & where was I going, looked at the guns but never said a word about them. He ran me, then came back to the truck and wished me luck after giving me a warning. It all depends on the officer IMO.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: deedeetaylor] #4632628 10/05/13 03:10 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

We called this: "Passing the Attitude Test" up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: dogcatcher] #4632650 10/05/13 03:23 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

AGREE ! also back in the day (at least out in W Tex ) most LEO's were hunters also.
I think all of the above plus having things in common, helps.

Very good response. up

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #4633612 10/05/13 11:53 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I have had my chl since around 2000, and I before my chl I would get a ticket every time I was pulled over. Since getting my chl I have been pulled over 14 times and received 3 tickets. My theory is that once the officer sees you have a chl you are not a felon and an upstanding citizen that would help an officer if you saw he/she was in trouble. I know that if I saw an LEO in a situation, I would render assistance.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: leswad] #4635086 10/06/13 04:57 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: leswad
I have had my chl since around 2000, and I before my chl I would get a ticket every time I was pulled over. Since getting my chl I have been pulled over 14 times and received 3 tickets. My theory is that once the officer sees you have a chl you are not a felon and an upstanding citizen that would help an officer if you saw he/she was in trouble. I know that if I saw an LEO in a situation, I would render assistance.

Just curious, but "pulled over 14 times". Mind telling us what a fine upstanding law abiding citizen is pulled over 14 times for?

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4635211 10/06/13 06:12 PM
D
DuckedBlind Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Just curious, but "pulled over 14 times". Mind telling us what a fine upstanding law abiding citizen is pulled over 14 times for?

14 times is a lot, might want to change the way you drive.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: DuckedBlind] #4635648 10/06/13 09:22 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
This is over a 13 year period and I drive around 35,000 miles a year.... Nobody is perfect.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: leswad] #4639145 10/08/13 12:51 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
This is over a 13 year period and I drive around 35,000 miles a year.... Nobody is perfect.

Uh.... OK, Whatever! I use to drive around 25,000 per year and I can count on 3 fingers the number of times I've been stopped in the last 25 or so years.....but then again that's just me! Yep - I guess nobody's perfect...

HnF

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4641598 10/08/13 09:35 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L

Uh.... OK, Whatever! I use to drive around 25,000 per year and I can count on 3 fingers the number of times I've been stopped in the last 25 or so years.....but then again that's just me! Yep - I guess nobody's perfect...

Good for you! I hope your LEO card got you out of those three stops.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: deedeetaylor] #4641676 10/08/13 09:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I think the being honest, cooperative, and having all the right paperwork is what did it, not the chl. I have an insane amount of warnings... no chl, but im always honest cooperative and have my info handy. I have been pulled over more than 30 times since I got my permit and have 2 tickets to my name. I do not know or have any cop relatives either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4641688 10/08/13 10:03 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I easily drive more than 30k a year. I have only been driving for 9 years and have been pulled over more than 30 times. Speeding, running stop signs, failure to yield the right of way at a yield sign, exhibition of acceleration etc. I have 3 tickets, 2 speeding and 1 for the peeling out(was a high school campus ticket, $5 and no punishment). I have slowed down my driving quite a bit now and in the past 3-4 years have only been pulled over once.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: leswad] #4643436 10/09/13 02:52 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Good for you! I hope your LEO card got you out of those three stops.

Never showed one & never intentionally advertised! Was just courteous, polite and apologetic for not paying attention. One was local PD and 2 were DPS. All of 'em said "we got better people to stop & sent me on my way" up

In my teen years I received a couple of citations. Between 1970 and 1984 I recieved 2. All of 'em were dismissed! It was my decision to start paying attention and be a better driver........

IMHO I don't think a LEO license or a CHL should be viewed by another LEO as a pass for violating laws. Like you said "None of us are perfect", but I TRY to do better! smile

HnF

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4643762 10/09/13 04:08 PM
M
min1kay2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I don't think a handful of traffic ticket makes someone not be a "fine upstanding law abiding citizen." Although I can think of plenty of other things that would put someone in that category.

To get back to topic.
I am a little heavy on the gas and feel that my CHL has been as effective as my neighbor's badge for getting out of tickets.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: min1kay2] #4648301 10/11/13 12:08 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I got stopped on the Indian Nation Turnpike in Oklahoma on the way home from Tulsa last night. The coworker with me wondered why I rolled the windows down, turned on the dome light, and put my hands on the wheel. The trooper told me I was getting a warning before he even went back to run my license. As we drove off, I look at my coworker and told him, That's why I did what I did, to make the guy feel safer". I don't know if I would have gotten a ticket otherwise, but what I did surely didn't hurt anything.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: psycho0819] #4662090 10/15/13 04:57 PM
V
victor454 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Attitude

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: victor454] #4663775 10/16/13 01:31 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Don't count on it. I got stopped for 72 in a 65, showed TDL and CHL, officer asked if I had a gun, I said yes in the console, he said leave it there, went and called in on me and wrote me a ticket. NOTE this was the speed trap on Hy 80 in Sunnyvale, Texas and they got a racket going on the same bridge nearly every day. NOTE I did get stopped 35 years ago for 80 in a 60 and shared with HP that if he wanted to search my car I had a 357 under the front seat and he did not ticket me. Just depends I guess.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: shooterwalter] #4673643 10/19/13 03:02 PM
30378 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Only factors involved were your attitude and his choice. Nothing more.

NRA Benefactor Life Member - Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry a firearm.
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: 30378] #4675264 10/20/13 05:50 AM
N
N Dubya Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I've been pulled over 3 times while armed, ticketed once. The two that let me go both asked to see the pistol, and one went as far as to mock me for carrying a Beretta calling it "I-talian garbage". The one that gave me a ticket bit my head off telling me "don't you dare open that console"...that guy would have written his own momma a ticket. I don't think the chl had an impact at all.

Red Dirt Services - Complete Property Solutions
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...Pro#Post1266527
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: deedeetaylor] #4680406 10/22/13 02:20 AM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!! up

Key words I like in this response....LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Play Stupid Games....Win Stupid Prizes, in other words.

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10/22/13 02:21 AM.
Re: Getting out of a ticket because of my CHL [Re: Mr. Clean] #4686785 10/24/13 09:57 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I personally dont think local city police should be able to know if you have CHL or not, it is not thier business.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide