Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Guess the weight [Re: dfwroadkill] #4612235 09/29/13 03:03 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
OK.... Thanks for all the guesses. I've said before that I think it is hard to guess the weights on here. There are so many things that affect the picture you see. Different game cameras, different lenses. Yadyadayada... What does surprise me is that everyone guessed under on this pic. That is the opposite of my experience. Regardless, I think it is an interesting exercise.

I did test the scale with known accurate weights. I know the weights are precise and that the scale showed to be accurate repeatedly.

That said, the hog weighed 184 pounds. The pic makes him look much smaller than he actually was.

That scale not right, it say's Moultrie, probably 20lbs off! J/K one less hog all that matters.

Re: Guess the weight [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4612352 09/29/13 03:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Marking the same height at different locations (fence post / t-post / trees, etc) and then having the aperture of the camera set at that height can help to triangulate a more accurate measurement.

Yes, but nobody really does this with all the proper controls (you forgot about the need for level ground as well, something often absent in nature despite our perceptions).

Instead, most folks set up their game/trail cams in positions of convenience for more salient insights relative to environment and hunting parameters such as "What's the best tree that will give me the best stable view that isn't too far away or too close and that won't end up getting shot when I come hunt and that won't be blinded by the morning or evening sun?" Then they get a picture of a hog they are excited about and post it here and ask folks how much it weighs, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Guess the weight [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4612459 09/29/13 04:36 PM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Marking the same height at different locations (fence post / t-post / trees, etc) and then having the aperture of the camera set at that height can help to triangulate a more accurate measurement.

Yes, but nobody really does this with all the proper controls (you forgot about the need for level ground as well, something often absent in nature despite our perceptions).

Instead, most folks set up their game/trail cams in positions of convenience for more salient insights relative to environment and hunting parameters such as "What's the best tree that will give me the best stable view that isn't too far away or too close and that won't end up getting shot when I come hunt and that won't be blinded by the morning or evening sun?" Then they get a picture of a hog they are excited about and post it here and ask folks how much it weighs, LOL.

In the original photo of this pig, you can align the bottom of the post in the fence behind the feeder and see that its pretty close to the top of the back. An imaginary line would put that camera height at somewhere around 5 feet (just a guess). That tells me that this hog is alot taller than the photo indicates.
Was the camera mounted on a fence or t-post?
I agree that most people use a convenient source of mounting cameras.
Alot of people concentrate on what the camera is capturing (animal) and not on the established values of measurement surrounding the image. I always try to find the closest thing and use it as a measurement tool.... t-post / foliage leaves / squares on a cattle panel... something thats consistent.
I really don't take the topo into consideration on pictures unless its pretty steep country.
Thats just how i do it.

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: Guess the weight [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4612822 09/29/13 07:14 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
In the original photo of this pig, you can align the bottom of the post in the fence behind the feeder and see that its pretty close to the top of the back.

Just how far back is that 'fence' behind the feeder, do you think?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09/29/13 07:56 PM.

Re: Guess the weight [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4613276 09/29/13 09:53 PM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I went back and triangulated it. That fence is exactly.......... 3/8 of a mile on the other side of the hill.

Great exercise to show that our brains aren't telling us exactly what our eyes are seeing (or not seeing).

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: Guess the weight [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4615713 09/30/13 05:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Very nice. banana2

Re: Guess the weight [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4615725 09/30/13 05:09 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
dead hog is a good hog. I have one I need to get gone.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Guess the weight [Re: dgilbert] #4619106 10/01/13 01:23 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
[quote=dfwroadkill]That scale not right, it say's Moultrie, probably 20lbs off! J/K one less hog all that matters.

Hehe!! I missed this one before. i would normally agree with you... up

However, it is new and I checked it against known weights from Funk and Wagnall.... grin

Re: Guess the weight [Re: dfwroadkill] #4619133 10/01/13 01:29 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
In the original photo of this pig, you can align the bottom of the post in the fence behind the feeder and see that its pretty close to the top of the back.

Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
I went back and triangulated it. That fence is exactly.......... 3/8 of a mile on the other side of the hill.

I'm still trying to find the fence. I didn't know I had one out there... loco_too

Re: Guess the weight [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4628659 10/04/13 01:12 AM
L
L0N35T4R Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Good looking pig

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it illegal for sober people to own cars.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide