Print Thread
Feeder Location Help #4622979 10/02/13 03:21 PM
A
ACov Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
I went out yesterday to help a friend get a feeder setup on his place. He has a small place (around 14 acres) with a decent little pond. Anyways, the feeder hasn't been run in almost 2 years, but it's been in the same location. There's a game trail that runs right past it and I saw fresh deer tracks around it. So we filled it up and set it up to start throwing corn. Only problem is there isn't a great place to set up a blind and see very far from where the feeder is at. He had a ground blind that was difficult to see from and missed a deer a couple years back from it. There's a better spot with a small hill/valley on his place, but no sign any deer move around over there. My suggestion was to leave the feeder where it's at since it has sign around it and try to find a tripod or tree stand to hunt from to try to get a better vantage point and see them sooner and longer. I found a spot we could do a little trimming from and make a nice lane to see and shoot better. Was I right in not moving the feeder at this point, or does it matter? I also realize on this small piece of land he'll only probably get one deer ad that they are just passing through his place, not hanging on it real long. Any input would be appreciated. (He's not a bow hunter; just interested in rifle season). Thanks.

Re: Feeder Location Help [Re: ACov] #4623182 10/02/13 04:02 PM
D
deedeetaylor Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I'd try to place a blind that view the trais, watching the deer coming and going between the pond and the feeder. I wouldn't worry about having to see either feature.

"The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Re: Feeder Location Help [Re: ACov] #4623192 10/02/13 04:06 PM
W
WhtKnight64 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
The land I have set up on has never been hunted. Its an old farm that is 400 acres, and its mostly all open field. I picked a corner farthest from roads and anything else out there. Put the feeder out and a cam and was simply amazed at how many deer came'a callin to the feeder. Amazed.

From everything I've gathered, as long as you can attract them and have a clean shot, I wouldn't worry to much about anything else or anyone else opinion or thoughts. I have a friend on this site who I have asked for alot of advice and help, he's been hunting all his life, been a great help. The biggest thing is to get them to show up at some kind of regular time(since they don't wear watches...;-) ad to hang around a bit so the shot can be taken. I'm getting ready to setup feed plot(should have done it this past weekend or even earlier) which should help since I'm in the middle of farms that I compete with for their food.

Your setup sounds great to me... and since mine is free at this point, I don't complain much either.

If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Re: Feeder Location Help [Re: WhtKnight64] #4623241 10/02/13 04:17 PM
A
ACov Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Thanks for the input so far. This guy hasn't had much of a positive experience with hunting so I'm trying to help him out in my limited experience as well. I'm hoping he has a good fun season and the little work we put into it pays off for him. Good luck getting your place setup, WhtKnight, sounds like fun!

Re: Feeder Location Help [Re: ACov] #4624357 10/02/13 08:47 PM
A
AGaddy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
hunt the game trails

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide