Page 1 of 2 1 2
rattlesnake strike range #4604473 09/26/13 06:36 PM
C
chaseh2003 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
How far can a rattler strike? I am curious to know in particular, how high they are capable of striking. I am wondering if my snake boots are good enough protection or if I should consider chaps.

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: chaseh2003] #4604506 09/26/13 06:48 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Depends how big the snake is. You will hear people say they can strike "half the length of their body", but I can assure you, they can go farther than that.

For most encounters, snake boots are sufficient. A snake will typically strike out, not up, if it encounters a large animal like a human or cow. If the terrain consist of hills, felled timber, or other items that require elevation changes, you are at a higher risk of being struck above the knee. But for most hunters, protection from the knee area down is sufficient.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4604521 09/26/13 06:53 PM
W
WBYHunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
^ What he said.

I've always had the mindset that a snake can strike the distance of his body. That may be a little much, but better safe than sorry. I wouldn't worry about a strike above the knees assuming the terrain is flat.

God
Family
Hunting
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: WBYHunter] #4605265 09/26/13 10:18 PM
M
molossus Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Half to two thirds of their body length. Some young snakes will move the entire body forward an few inches if they strike from time to time, but the above rule applies. The exceptions are striking down a slight incline or situations where the snake loses control of its stance and falls, which can also add a few inches. Boots are fine. The best protection you have is your brain; plenty of people are bitten on the hand, snake boot or not, being unable to resist messing with the animal.

The strike is more of a straightening of the coil than a lunge. The action tends to put as much backward force as it does forward, so in most cases, even if there is enough energy in the strike to carry it beyond what I described above, the action is absorbed in the body. Longer snakes do not have longer strike range in ratio to body length, in fact the opposite is true.

Last edited by molossus; 09/26/13 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4605300 09/26/13 10:31 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Depends how big the snake is. You will hear people say they can strike "half the length of their body", but I can assure you, they can go farther than that.

For most encounters, snake boots are sufficient. A snake will typically strike out, not up, if it encounters a large animal like a human or cow. If the terrain consist of hills, felled timber, or other items that require elevation changes, you are at a higher risk of being struck above the knee. But for most hunters, protection from the knee area down is sufficient.

up Totally Agree with this!

Always Pray to have eyes that see the best in people,
a heart that forgives the worst,
a mind that forgets the bad,
and a Soul that never loses faith in God.

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: banderapass1] #4605349 09/26/13 10:52 PM
D
Duckhawker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
For most encounters, tennis shoes are sufficient. I look for snakes both for a living and for work. I've caught hundreds of venomous snakes on three continents. I've stepped on exactly one rattlesnake. It didn't strike. Even when they do strike clothed individuals, the fangs lose a lot of their venom load into the fabric of the shoe or pant leg. Most fangs never make it to the skin. Snake boots are a gimmick, but if they make you feel better, wear them. Most snakebites are because people are trying to catch or kill the snake. Past that, if it's a legit bite and they weren't inviting it, most bites are because people step on them barefoot or in sandals.

Corey Roelke

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: Duckhawker] #4605910 09/27/13 01:40 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: UTAhunter
For most encounters, tennis shoes are sufficient. I look for snakes both for a living and for work. I've caught hundreds of venomous snakes on three continents. I've stepped on exactly one rattlesnake. It didn't strike. Even when they do strike clothed individuals, the fangs lose a lot of their venom load into the fabric of the shoe or pant leg. Most fangs never make it to the skin. Snake boots are a gimmick, but if they make you feel better, wear them. Most snakebites are because people are trying to catch or kill the snake. Past that, if it's a legit bite and they weren't inviting it, most bites are because people step on them barefoot or in sandals.

Corey Roelke

Interesting insight thanks. Am more worried about my dog then myself.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: MS1454] #4605945 09/27/13 01:49 AM
C
coonie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I think they can strike about 25 yards. So I stay 50 yards away smile

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: coonie] #4605970 09/27/13 01:57 AM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: coonie
I think they can strike about 25 yards. So I stay 50 yards away smile

smart man

" In God We Trust "

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: HuntingTexas] #4606243 09/27/13 02:56 AM
C
chaseh2003 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
All good info, thanks

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: Duckhawker] #4606266 09/27/13 03:03 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Corey Roelke

Seen two guys get bit through starched pants. I have been struck 3 times. I would not want to rely on jeans and tennis shoes. Much different when you are hunting the snakes than when you come up on one unexpected. Not arguing that tennis shoes won't stop most snakes, but the few strikes I have seen would have hit above the shoe line.

I disagree that snake boots are a gimmick. I think they are a good precaution for people that will be going through areas that snakes are prevailent.

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4606332 09/27/13 03:22 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Corey Roelke

Seen two guys get bit through starched pants. I have been struck 3 times. I would not want to rely on jeans and tennis shoes. Much different when you are hunting the snakes than when you come up on one unexpected. Not arguing that tennis shoes won't stop most snakes, but the few strikes I have seen would have hit above the shoe line.

I disagree that snake boots are a gimmick. I think they are a good precaution for people that will be going through areas that snakes are prevailent.

Snake boots on you would reach your waste grin
I know of two guys hit above the knee.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: chaseh2003] #4606678 09/27/13 12:27 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: chaseh2003
How far can a rattler strike? I am curious to know in particular, how high they are capable of striking. I am wondering if my snake boots are good enough protection or if I should consider chaps.

The bite on my left leg is 20 inches high.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: HWY_MAN] #4607318 09/27/13 03:50 PM
D
Duckhawker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Now I do worry about dogs. They don't have the protection from clothing we receive. If I ran bird dogs I would definitely get them vaccinated. It works.

With regards to looking for snakes, my encounter rate is much higher than most bird hunters. Tales of snakes striking are more than exaggerated. Do they strike, absolutely. Can they strike with a lot of force, very high, yes, absolutely. How many people have every actually seen a snake bite through jeans or actually have seen a bite from a snake through jeans? I should mention I worked venomous snakes for a living at the Fort Worth Zoo for a period of time. I do not fear snakes. Bees are far more dangerous than snakes. Show them respect and you won't be bitten.

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: Duckhawker] #4607616 09/27/13 05:10 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Now I do worry about dogs. They don't have the protection from clothing we receive. If I ran bird dogs I would definitely get them vaccinated. It works.

With regards to looking for snakes, my encounter rate is much higher than most bird hunters. Tales of snakes striking are more than exaggerated. Do they strike, absolutely. Can they strike with a lot of force, very high, yes, absolutely. How many people have every actually seen a snake bite through jeans or actually have seen a bite from a snake through jeans? I should mention I worked venomous snakes for a living at the Fort Worth Zoo for a period of time. I do not fear snakes. Bees are far more dangerous than snakes. Show them respect and you won't be bitten.

I will go catch a snake. You put on a pair of wranglers and let it strike you. We can test the theory. cheers

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4608724 09/27/13 11:53 PM
D
Duckhawker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I will go catch a snake. You put on a pair of wranglers and let it strike you. We can test the theory. cheers

Sorry, I don't wear skinny jeans. wink

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: Duckhawker] #4609130 09/28/13 02:32 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

You can wear shorts and tennis shoes if you want up

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4609606 09/28/13 10:33 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think I'm with most people on here. I'm real rational about rattlesnakes with the laptop in front of me, but when I see one in the field I shoot my way back to the truck, and rack my gun. I'm done for the day.

I haven't hunted in rattlesnake country in several years.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: bill oxner] #4609730 09/28/13 12:31 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
21 feet... but if I have my Ninja sword with me its all good

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: bill oxner] #4657546 10/14/13 07:33 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I think I'm with most people on here. I'm real rational about rattlesnakes with the laptop in front of me, but when I see one in the field I shoot my way back to the truck, and rack my gun. I'm done for the day.

I haven't hunted in rattlesnake country in several years.

hahahahhahaha Great answer!...my response is slightly different...I shoot myself back to the truck for more ammo, then end up snake hunting the rest of the day!!!

elmer

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: chaseh2003] #4668589 10/17/13 04:06 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Chaps are a waste, the boots are fine. I realize anything is possible but with the boots you probably have to worry more about getting struck by lightning. Get the lightest weight boots you can find.
Question- there was a rattlesnake round up years ago- I forget the area- but there were some guys walking around in the pit with regular old cowboy boots and the boots were stopping the snake bites. Now some of today's cowboy boots- Ostrich skin, etc- pretty thin- but on a regular old time pair- did they usually stop a rattler bite?

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: Dave Scott] #4703658 10/30/13 05:39 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
A lot of them wear the thicker boots made of premium bull hide or elephant and have tall tops on the boots (just below the knee)...One trick they use to avoid a strike on the boot top...they raise the boot to show the snake the sole of the boot. Snake fangs are not going through the sole leather, it is too tough...plus the angle of the boot is wrong for the snake to get a direct hit....

I used that trick once when I got too close to a good sized rattler, of course...I also hopped backwards AWAY from that rattler as fast as I could...I left him be...no gun handy and didn't really want to go to the truck and get one then try to find that big rascal again...Me and a snake hunting buddy went back and found a small den nearby a few weeks later, the biggest one was about 4.5 feet long.

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: txshntr] #4706355 10/31/13 01:11 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

You can wear shorts and tennis shoes if you want up

I wear skinny wrangler short.

Yeahaaaa

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: beaversnipe] #4706479 10/31/13 01:47 AM
B
Brandon Rushing Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
very venomous. Snake boots needed to about at least your mid calf.

Duck Hunter-Deer Hunter-Hog Hunter-Exotic Hunter
Re: rattlesnake strike range [Re: chaseh2003] #4706526 10/31/13 02:02 AM
B
BlackSnake Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I was hit by a Copperhead several years ago wearing snake boots. I'll tell you this. He hit with enough force that would certainly have gone through clothing. I was struck again this year opening morning for bow by a Rattler. Pretty mild hit, but I wouldnt wont to try this without my boots. Gimmick? I think not. They saved me at least once. I will continue to wear them as long as I hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide