Print Thread
Bought my Wyoming points for next year #4581435 09/19/13 12:02 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Anyone else banking on points. I have them in Utah, AZ, Montana, Colorado and Wyoming... Oh and Nevada.

Tons of money not to hunt every year.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Roo Basher] #4581484 09/19/13 12:23 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
is it too late to buy some?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: jshouse] #4581561 09/19/13 12:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
you live in Australia and your gonna come all the way here to hunt?

man, that's dedication

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: jshouse] #4582600 09/19/13 06:12 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: jshouse
is it too late to buy some?

You have til the end of this month.

I bought an elk point the other day. I'll be doing the same for Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, as well as trying the lottery in New Mexico next year.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: txtrophy85] #4583251 09/19/13 09:14 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
you live in Australia and your gonna come all the way here to hunt?

man, that's dedication

I am an American, we are moving home in a few months.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Roo Basher] #4584187 09/20/13 02:01 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So, Mr. Basher - 'Glad you're headed home to the homelands. I was wondering, having noticed your screen name, exactly how many roos have you had the opportunity to and successfully bashed while you and your family have been down under? I understand they can become a menace. My niece, her husband and 3 wee ones live outside of Perth for the past few years. He is the pastor at a non-denominational church there.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 09/20/13 02:03 AM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Creekrunner] #4584811 09/20/13 09:22 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Kind of like asking someone how many bald eagles they have killed.

It's the national emblem down here, not really for discussion as people don't like the licensing system for kangaroo culling.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Roo Basher] #4584856 09/20/13 10:34 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I do points for CO and WY. Points for all the regular big game in CO. I like the fact WY does not require you to buy a hunting license like most states. Not a rich man so for WY I alternate between buying an antelope and mule deer point each year. I need to look into Utah and what primo hunt/hunts one should be building points for. I had avoided that state because of the cost associated with the license requirement to buy points, but it looks like there may be a way with timing your license purchase to be able to apply it for two consecutive point draws.
I look at it as setting myself up for the future. When the deer lease runs it's course and goes away, I am not getting on another. My plan is to have points for a few places built up to be able to choose a different on my own primo big game hunt in a different state each year. As well I will retire soon, so will be able to spend more time away when I do that sort of hunt. I will say to you young men. Better start building points now if you want to hunt the special places. Like me, you can reach a point that you get too old to be able to build enough points to hunt there. Some have been taking over 15 years of points to have a chance and who knows how many more points those special hunts will take in the future.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Roo Basher] #4584857 09/20/13 10:35 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
one time when i was on a walkabout i heard a bunch of ruckus one night and woke up to some poachers chasing kangaroos all over the place. well, one of the kangaroos had enough and found a rifle and started shooting back at the poachers, he shot the spotlights out on the poachers jeeps. was a good little walkabaout.

sorry, its early and i've been up for a while already.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Sniper John] #4589253 09/21/13 08:17 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I do points for CO and WY. Points for all the regular big game in CO. I like the fact WY does not require you to buy a hunting license like most states. Not a rich man so for WY I alternate between buying an antelope and mule deer point each year. I need to look into Utah and what primo hunt/hunts one should be building points for. I had avoided that state because of the cost associated with the license requirement to buy points, but it looks like there may be a way with timing your license purchase to be able to apply it for two consecutive point draws.
I look at it as setting myself up for the future. When the deer lease runs it's course and goes away, I am not getting on another. My plan is to have points for a few places built up to be able to choose a different on my own primo big game hunt in a different state each year. As well I will retire soon, so will be able to spend more time away when I do that sort of hunt. I will say to you young men. Better start building points now if you want to hunt the special places. Like me, you can reach a point that you get too old to be able to build enough points to hunt there. Some have been taking over 15 years of points to have a chance and who knows how many more points those special hunts will take in the future.

The concept is called point creep, the odds of me drawing a moose or bighorn in Wyoming are unlikely.

I play the game and shell out about a thousand a year "not to hunt" in several states. I am going to be back in the guided hunts business in about a year. But if I can draw a couple good tags it beats paying an outfitter $3000-15000 for what I want.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: Roo Basher] #4589408 09/21/13 09:38 PM
E
erok11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Sure glad I saw this thread. Probably would have forgot. Just bought my antelope point.

Re: Bought my Wyoming points for next year [Re: erok11] #4590678 09/22/13 02:01 PM
J
jabber Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I started with points in 2006 in Colorado and then expanded to Wyoming, AZ, NM, Utah and Nevada in the following years. Since then I have take a 170" muley in Wyoming, a 320ish elk in Wyoming, antelope in Wyoming and New Mexico, Mule Deer hunted in NM, AZ and turned a tag back in in Nevada and did OTC elk hunts in Colorado.

This year I drew an elk tag in Nevada, taking my son and old boss cow elk hunting in NM and on my 14th try finally drew a Chaparral rifle hunt with my son. Setting on 11 points for exotic an quite a few in the 7 - 9 range here in Texas.

I quit doing the lease hunt in South Texas in 2007 and started concentrating on the out of state hunts. Yes it is expensive to hunt out of state, but when compared to a lease in South Texas (not top of the line, but average) a ton of corn and numerous weekend trips, I can easily do two out of state do it yourself hunts.

What I am getting at is, if you want to hunt mule deer, antelope and elk on a somewhat regular basis you can do it, the options are there. But you need to start building points now. As was mentioned earlier, you can do 2 years of points for one license in Utah, apply for 5 straight years in AZ and get a loyalty point, take the wife to Las Vegas for a weekend, then run over to Kingman in AZ and take the Hunter Ed course and get a second point. NM and Idaho are true lottery draws, so you always have a chance there. Colorado has OTC elk hunts that are always a great fall back plan. Hunt the same area for a few years and learn it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide