Print Thread
Rossi Single shot Rifles #458588 10/20/08 05:18 PM
M
muliehunter Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I own a gun shop and range. I wrote about these rifles last year and feel I need to this year again. Many people run out and buy theses rossi's for their kids. They are not a good choice as the barrel heats up way to fast and after 2 shots your spread on the target will be anywhere from 6" to off the paper. I think they used recycled bicycles or crap metal to make the barrels out of. They are terrible. Save your self and get a cheaper bolt gun or a H&R handi rifle they are all better choices.

Evans Brothers Guns www.evansguns.com
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: muliehunter] #458589 10/20/08 05:52 PM
B
Brownwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Hmm, I just got one of these in 243 and it shoots really well. I bought it after shooting a buddy of mines that also shot well. 3 shots in 1.75 at 100. I didnt check barrel heat. Not contradicting Muliehunter, but I would like to hear some more comments cause I have been recomending this gun to a lot of my freinds. I want them to remail freinds!

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Brownwood] #458590 10/20/08 08:14 PM
M
muliehunter Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I have seen many of these come through our range only a small percentage shoot well. If you have one that shoots good I would hang on to it as it is a rarity.

Evans Brothers Guns www.evansguns.com
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: muliehunter] #458591 10/20/08 11:17 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Most of these types (single shots) are simple rifles and inexpensive, and they like any rifle that doesn't have a match grade barrel will shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

They have their quirks, and some shoot great out of the box, but like other rifles some favor some type of ammo over another.

These rifles tend to shoot the cheaper brands of ammo the best barring the military surplus stuff because of high pressures of surplus military ammo, but any of the Winchester, or Remington economy ammo usually works the best.

Heat is also a factor, and you should wait a few minutes between shots to not overheat the barrel.

Also when you rest the rifle on a bench to shoot, you should rest it nearest or directly under the hinge pin, thus not putting pressure under the barrel which may effect point of impact if you aren't consistent with your rest.

Also the barrels aren't match grade, and take some good cleaning and breaking in before they tend to settle down and start to shoot really nice groups.

So that said from an owner of a couple of H&R single shots, and one who has done a lot of reserch on how to fine tune them, I can say that they are a good rifle for the price, and for what you want to use them for, and with a little tinkering, you can make them shoot as good, if not better than a lot of the other more expensive, factory produced econo bolt rifles out there.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Jimbo] #458592 10/20/08 11:53 PM
B
Brownwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Yes, I agree with you and I probably got a little lucky. I started out with Remington cor locks (cheap) cause thats what the original owner shot. I also "free floated" the barrel using a rasp and a metal washer on the stock B4 I ever shot it. I also only shot 3 shots and probably took me 10 minutes to shoot em. By the way, I aciidentally lied in my post. It wasnt a 1.5 3 shot group but 2.5, which I thought was pretty good for a $175 rifle.

Quote:

Most of these types (single shots) are simple rifles and inexpensive, and they like any rifle that doesn't have a match grade barrel will shoot minute of deer at 100 yards.

They have their quirks, and some shoot great out of the box, but like other rifles some favor some type of ammo over another.

These rifles tend to shoot the cheaper brands of ammo the best barring the military surplus stuff because of high pressures of surplus military ammo, but any of the Winchester, or Remington economy ammo usually works the best.

Heat is also a factor, and you should wait a few minutes between shots to not overheat the barrel.

Also when you rest the rifle on a bench to shoot, you should rest it nearest or directly under the hinge pin, thus not putting pressure under the barrel which may effect point of impact if you aren't consistent with your rest.

Also the barrels aren't match grade, and take some good cleaning and breaking in before they tend to settle down and start to shoot really nice groups.

So that said from an owner of a couple of H&R single shots, and one who has done a lot of reserch on how to fine tune them, I can say that they are a good rifle for the price, and for what you want to use them for, and with a little tinkering, you can make them shoot as good, if not better than a lot of the other more expensive, factory produced econo bolt rifles out there.

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Brownwood] #458593 10/21/08 12:18 PM
B
Brownwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I would be interested in any accurizing tips you guys have out there.

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Brownwood] #458594 10/24/08 03:59 PM
T
THE3AMIGOS Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Do not buy a rossi! I did its a pile of crap. Bought a h&r 243 and its a better gun. Shoots 1.5" @ 100 yrds with remington 100 grain soft points. The only complaint i have is the trigger pull feels like 15 lbs or so.

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Brownwood] #458595 10/25/08 08:04 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Quote:

I would be interested in any accurizing tips you guys have out there.

Go to this website and click on GBO forums!
Then scroll down to NEF/H&R Centerfire rifles
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/

There is a whole section dedicated to the H & R single shots, and they have a somewhat cult following with tons of tips and how too's that can get your single shot to shoot like a high dollar rifle.

Be sure to click on at the top of the page onto the FAQ's and read them first before you post a question or you will just be told that you should go back there and read first.

Don't ask me how I know!

There is a ton of information there that took a lot of effort and time to assemble, and and most of your questions are going to be there and laid out in a way that anyone can understand.

They also have a Rossi section, but not a lot of traffic there, but the same techniques can be used as with the Handi Rifle.

Be warned, and enter at your own risk, because it's an addiction, and you will end up with several rifles an barrels.

You will more than likely keep the Rossi if she shoots good, but I'd be willing to bet you end up with a Handi Rifle and several extra barrels to go along with it.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/25/08 08:30 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Jimbo] #458596 10/25/08 02:31 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I bought my son a NEF in .243, and was amazed at the accuarcy. He is shooting winchester 100 gr power points, and this is a 2 shot group at 200 yards.

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: helomech] #458597 10/27/08 02:26 PM
S
Smoker1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I bought a Rossi in 7.62 X 39. Put a Bushnell scope on it, have shot at least two boxes of ammo through it. Most of that was in one afternoon.
It is extremely accurate, fun to shoot, and I love it.
Maybe I just got lucky with this one, but I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: Smoker1] #458598 10/28/08 12:51 AM
T
thorn4570 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
i owned one and was very happy with it. i sold it because i had three 243's and just did not need it. it shot great and i didnt have any complaints.

I once drank muddy water out of a hoof print and was dang glad to get it.
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles [Re: THE3AMIGOS] #458599 11/04/08 03:30 AM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Quote:

Do not buy a rossi! I did its a pile of crap. Bought a h&r 243 and its a better gun. Shoots 1.5" @ 100 yrds with remington 100 grain soft points. The only complaint i have is the trigger pull feels like 15 lbs or so.

I have an h&r in .270 and i love it. shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. Mine also had a heavy trigger when i bought it. I took it to a gunsmith and had it lightened up a little.

Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: muliehunter] #458600 11/05/08 05:41 PM
K
killinNoob Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Rossi .243 youth from Academy - I had commented earlier about another post claiming to let the barrel cool down between shots to get a tight group. Well I can comment now that this is hog wash. I went early this morning to try and zero my son's rifle once more. this time I waited 5 minutes between shots. On the 50 yd range the gun sighted in easily with two rounds and shot another two to verify zero. It was dead nuts on. So I went on to the 100 yd, loaded up, controlled my breathing and squeezed off a shot. 6" high and to the left. I let it cool for 5 minutes, squeeze another round and this time it was 6" to the right and 4" low. Alright so I messed up my breathing and jerked the trigger. I wait another 5 minutes or so fire again now the bullet hole no where on the paper target. I quit wasting ammo. I would not recommend this gun to anyone, and would not try a shot further than 50 yards. This is the biggest piece of s-hit I've ever purchased.

SECOND TO NONE

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: killinNoob] #458601 11/06/08 03:26 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Quote:

Rossi .243 youth from Academy - I had commented earlier about another post claiming to let the barrel cool down between shots to get a tight group. Well I can comment now that this is hog wash. I went early this morning to try and zero my son's rifle once more. this time I waited 5 minutes between shots. On the 50 yd range the gun sighted in easily with two rounds and shot another two to verify zero. It was dead nuts on. So I went on to the 100 yd, loaded up, controlled my breathing and squeezed off a shot. 6" high and to the left. I let it cool for 5 minutes, squeeze another round and this time it was 6" to the right and 4" low. Alright so I messed up my breathing and jerked the trigger. I wait another 5 minutes or so fire again now the bullet hole no where on the paper target. I quit wasting ammo. I would not recommend this gun to anyone, and would not try a shot further than 50 yards. This is the biggest piece of s-hit I've ever purchased.

That sounds exactly like my experience! I even shot it once from a sled. How big of a bullet were you shooting? Both brands of ammo that I shot were 100gr, I have read somewhere that any bullet over 85-95 gr out of this gun will tumble. I was going to shoot my sons one more time with a smaller bullet.
Lance

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: LG] #458602 11/06/08 08:14 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I have the .223 and I agree its a POS. Everytime I go to the range its all over the place. I guess you get what you pay for! I am going to take the scope off and use as a truck gun! You want to buy it???

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: jbhlsu] #458603 11/06/08 10:12 PM
K
klepdo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I have one it is a 308 single shot and it drives tacks. Its 2" high at 100 yards and holes are touching each other. I had a POS scope but got a better one and it rocks. Mine should be a bigger POS than all it can be a 308 and a 12 gauge.

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: klepdo] #458604 11/07/08 03:17 AM
M
mrbigtexan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
i have bought one in 7.62x39 and have had great luck with it. just as long as i use commercial ammo that uses a .311 bullet. i have an extensive range report all about it on graybeards forum. check it out, graybeard.com

Re: Rossi Single shot Rifles - DO NOT BUY [Re: LG] #458605 11/08/08 12:01 AM
K
killinNoob Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Quote:

That sounds exactly like my experience! I even shot it once from a sled. How big of a bullet were you shooting? Both brands of ammo that I shot were 100gr, I have read somewhere that any bullet over 85-95 gr out of this gun will tumble. I was going to shoot my sons one more time with a smaller bullet.
Lance

I was shooting Remington Express Rifle .243 PSP in 80gr. Now I was told yesterday I need to let the barrel cool at least 15 minutes between shots. I've not tried that yet, but my mind is made up already about this rifle being a P.O.S., and will get rid of it after deer season.

SECOND TO NONE

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide