Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Kd59] #4574217 09/17/13 01:55 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Kd59
I think some of y'all are missing the part about hunting and the nature side of things. What's it worth to take a kid hunting when they pull the trigger the first time, or even see an animal. Back in the day just about any rancher would let you go out and hunt. Now it's another source of income for them. I agree some prices are ridiculous. I see 40 acre listings going for three grand and want two guns, scary.

so what you are saying that a rancher is obligated to let people come out and hunt for free, or cheap, and to deny them a source of income.

who is gonna put gas in the ranchers trucks, food on his table or HIS kids/grandkids thru school?

if its overpriced, like 40 acres for $3k, its overpriced and that's why you are seeing it....cause there are no takers. if someone has $3k to spend on a 40 acre lease, good for both the landowner and the lessee.

there is a million acres of public land in texas that the tax payers pay for and anyone can access.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Kd59] #4574225 09/17/13 01:56 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I think some of y'all are missing the part about hunting and the nature side of things. What's it worth to take a kid hunting when they pull the trigger the first time, or even see an animal. Back in the day just about any rancher would let you go out and hunt. Now it's another source of income for them. I agree some prices are ridiculous. I see 40 acre listings going for three grand and want two guns, scary.

No sir we're not. We think nature's grand and that every child should have the opportunity to pull the trigger. I spend a lot of time doing just that with friends and aquaintances. Gonna take 9 kids out the first weekend of MLD season.

What you might not understand is what it takes to run a hunting ranch. Someone has to pay. Most of the landowners I know are pretty good about letting folks who can't afford trophies shoot culls and does and charge accordingly and actually let them do ranch work and pay nothing.

The folks who whine about cost typically are sitting on their a** wanting to turn back the clock to a time that will never return.

Competition and a free market force good improvements. Paying more for hunting is not a bad thing. Just like paying more for whatever it is that makes your living is NOT A BAD THING!!!

Think about that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4574240 09/17/13 01:59 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

so what you are saying that a rancher is obligated to let people come out and hunt for free, or cheap, and to deny them a source of income.

who is gonna put gas in the ranchers trucks, food on his table or HIS kids/grandkids thru school?

if its overpriced, like 40 acres for $3k, its overpriced and that's why you are seeing it....cause there are no takers. if someone has $3k to spend on a 40 acre lease, good for both the landowner and the lessee.

there is a million acres of public land in texas that the tax payers pay for and anyone can access.

Actually, there are over 4 million acres of public land. No need to thank me... just doing my part to educate the young inexperienced kids on the forum... roflmao

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574272 09/17/13 02:04 AM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Thats when a sport was a sport..its all gone crazy..

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: therancher] #4574279 09/17/13 02:05 AM
T
TXMachinist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
It also keeps alot of youth like the 18 year old that we took in from ever getting that opportunity.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574312 09/17/13 02:12 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: TXMachinist
It also keeps alot of youth like the 18 year old that we took in from ever getting that opportunity.

How is that? I don't know anyone that doesn't know someone that that 18 year old can't fill feeders for for the right to shoot a doe.

I hear a lot of whining but I don't see any real obstructions to people with initiative and drive.

And therein lies the problem IMO. We are raising a lot of "gimme gimme's" and fewer "I'll go get what I wants". Now THAT'S SAD!!!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: therancher] #4574361 09/17/13 02:22 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Actually, there are over 4 million acres of public land. No need to thank me... just doing my part to educate the young inexperienced kids on the forum... roflmao

whats a 3 million acre spread?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574369 09/17/13 02:23 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

so if you have something on your property, a swimming pool, for instance. are you obligated to let me and my family come swim because I don't have a swimming pool?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: therancher] #4574386 09/17/13 02:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

What you might not understand is what it takes to run a hunting ranch. Someone has to pay. .

if people knew the real cost they would chit a brick.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: therancher] #4574399 09/17/13 02:29 AM
T
TXMachinist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
And where would someone find a place that would let them kill a doe for filling feeders? I hear about all of the public land, but I have hunted it myself and will not put a kid in that type of situation. Too dangerous for me. I have NEVER asked for anyone to give me anything! This kid that we took in was abandoned by his parents. They chose drugs over him. The cost for leases is TOO HIGH for me to afford to pay for all of us. I just want to pay a REASONABLE price for a lease that doesn't over regulate what I can shoot. I don't need a TROPHY lease, just a place that has animals so we can get some meat and a nice buck every now and then.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574412 09/17/13 02:32 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

I quit paying for a deer lease along time ago. One day we sat down and added up lease cost, walmart, corn, walmart, fuel, food, walmart, utilities, feeders, batteries, stands, chainsaws, planting, etc. and WOW! $$$$ barf

We took take same money and discovered a whole new world. The first year we booked a couple of hog hunts, an exotic hunt then went Muskox hunting. clap

The next year plains game in Africa. aim

Add it "ALL" up, Whitetail is not everything! elmer paw paw paw

Only when you believe it is, do rancher's keep raising the price. welcome

Step out, there is a whole world outside the lease. flag

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW] #4574428 09/17/13 02:35 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wow, 10 years ago I hunted Mason Co for $1000 I would suggest since your always moaning and groaning about prices on here, go buy your own land. Then IF you decide to lease it out, you can charge what you think. 200 acres for $3000? yes, I would say $1500 a gun is a going rate these days or you might squeeze 3 on that200 acres and get by with $1000 per gun. It just get old complaining about it!
BTW, when my Dad started in the late 60's...... he paid $25
Originally Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW
OK is it just me or are the lease prices out of control? I just saw a posting for a 200 acre deer lease for $3000? WTF? come on that's crazy? 10 years ago I hunted 6000 acres outside of Junction Texas for $1600 dollars a year and that included 2 houses that slept 16 people, a 10x15 walk in cooler, 500 gallon fuel tank for ranch trucks & 3 barns for storage of trucks & 4 wheelers...

Last edited by hoof n wings; 09/17/13 02:35 AM.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: LuckyHunter] #4574430 09/17/13 02:35 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

I quit paying for a deer lease along time ago. One day we sat down and added up lease cost, walmart, corn, walmart, fuel, food, walmart, utilities, feeders, batteries, stands, chainsaws, planting, etc. and WOW! $$$$ barf

We took take same money and discovered a whole new world. The first year we booked a couple of hog hunts, an exotic hunt then went Muskox hunting. clap

The next year plains game in Africa. aim

Add it "ALL" up, Whitetail is not everything! elmer paw paw paw

Only when you believe it is, do rancher's keep raising the price. welcome

Step out, there is a whole world outside the lease. flag

And there ya go. No whining, just adapt and overcome!! I loveit!!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574467 09/17/13 02:44 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
And where would someone find a place that would let them kill a doe for filling feeders? I hear about all of the public land, but I have hunted it myself and will not put a kid in that type of situation. Too dangerous for me. I have NEVER asked for anyone to give me anything! This kid that we took in was abandoned by his parents. They chose drugs over him. The cost for leases is TOO HIGH for me to afford to pay for all of us. I just want to pay a REASONABLE price for a lease that doesn't over regulate what I can shoot. I don't need a TROPHY lease, just a place that has animals so we can get some meat and a nice buck every now and then.

draw hunts, for one. public lands for another, just hike in further and get further off the roads.

a lot of places are MLD and they will come out and let you shoot does for $150/doe. and you will see a lot of animals and get on some good ranches.

get on with some guys at the feed store, old ranchers, etc. I know a lot of ranchers that are working class that would gladly trade a doe or cull for some regular help around the farm

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574486 09/17/13 02:52 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Dear Sir, No disrespect intended. Take them rabbit hunting, a hog hunt, book a doe hunt with any of the outfitters listed on the THF. $100 - $300. I guarantee you will create memories that will last a lifetime. Horns never make a child better it's the experience and time spent together.

In my early years I could not afford to pay for 2 spots. But I took my children fishing, small game hunting etc. and they loved every moment.

Respectfully

Last edited by SheepHunter; 09/17/13 02:55 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: LuckyHunter] #4574493 09/17/13 02:54 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Txmachinist,

I can feel your frustration. There are options out there.

call my buddy mike marbach.

www.mycoa.org

God bless you for taking in a youth from a broken home

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4574791 09/17/13 09:18 AM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
You know what none of you "old timers" had when you bought cokes for a nickel?

You didn't have a $200/mo cell phone bill.
You didn't have an $80/mo cable TV bill.
You didn't have an internet service bill.
You probably didn't have air conditioning in your car and you may not have had it in your house.
You didn't need to "remodel" your kitchen or bathroom every ten years if it worked fine.
You ate at food you cooked...at home.
You probably didn't pay a month's wages for a hunting rifle.

Sure costs have gone up, but so have expenses. It's about priorities folks.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: TXMachinist] #4574837 09/17/13 11:07 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The problem I see with the costs is that it is keeping alto of the younger hunters out of the woods. I could afford to hunt pretty much anywhere, but my 2 boys can't. They both have full time jobs, but the cost is just too much for them. If they aren't hunting with me then I am not hunting.

true

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: Kd59] #4574865 09/17/13 11:31 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

What day was that? I've been hunting whitetails for over 50 years and they were leasing then. And we thought the price was just as outragious, a 100 dollars a section was allot of money back then.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4574925 09/17/13 12:20 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have some gentlemen coming out for the opening of youth season. $100 a point for the bucks and $100 for a doe. For $1000 a person could get an 8 point buck and a couple of does. And you call that a good return on property that would bring close to $2,000,000.

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: don k] #4575075 09/17/13 01:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: don k
I have some gentlemen coming out for the opening of youth season. $100 a point for the bucks and $100 for a doe. For $1000 a person could get an 8 point buck and a couple of does. And you call that a good return on property that would bring close to $2,000,000.

Wanna list it? I'll get you a good return

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: txtrophy85] #4575089 09/17/13 01:30 PM
D
diehardoutfitter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
This post is getting out of control...... :-)

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: diehardoutfitter] #4575655 09/17/13 04:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: diehardoutfitter
This post is getting out of control...... :-)
Don't they all?

Re: Getting out of control? [Re: bigpigtx] #4575850 09/17/13 05:34 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

You didn't have a $200/mo cell phone bill. Get a different plan or get rid of the phone
You didn't have an $80/mo cable TV bill. Stop watching TV
You didn't have an internet service bill. Get off the computer
You probably didn't have air conditioning in your car and you may not have had it in your house.
You didn't need to "remodel" your kitchen or bathroom every ten years if it worked fine. Then don't
You ate at food you cooked...at home. I still do
You probably didn't pay a month's wages for a hunting rifle. I haven't yet.

You are right, it is about priorities. If hunting was a big enough priority for you, you would find a way. I decided not to deer hunt this year. I have 3 in the freezer and don't need any more. Instead I bought a dove lease and go out with my young son a few times a week. That is my priority right now.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Getting out of control? [Re: bigpigtx] #4576029 09/17/13 06:32 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

You didn't have a $200/mo cell phone bill.
You didn't have an $80/mo cable TV bill.
You didn't have an internet service bill.
You didn't need to "remodel" your kitchen or bathroom every ten years if it worked fine.
You ate at food you cooked...at home.
You probably didn't pay a month's wages for a hunting rifle.

Something you left off your list was that we had no deer on the place back then. Only my CPA and I know how much I have spent over the past years to be able to charge these "out of control" prices. bang

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide