THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS #45484 12/10/05 12:29 AM
F
Furb Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
F
To everyone,

I am fairly new to the site and must say that I enjoy it a lot. I like how everyone is here to help everyone else out on any problems they have or to comment on a job well do in or out of the field. I was reading a post in the travel section and a guy metioned he had car trouble in a small town outside of El Paso, which brings me to my proposal. When I was at Texas Tech, on the major travel holidays like Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter the school paper published a list of students' parents that had signed up to be 'Road Parents". The list entailed where the parents lived(city only) and a phone number you could call if you had car trouble, needed to take a break, got hungry, or needed somewhere to sleep for the night if you got into trouble trying to drive to far in one sitting. I was wondering what ya'll thought of this and if it sounds like a good or bad idea to you. I just thought that a list like this might come in handy as we have all had our share of road trip follies and if you had, say, a tranny seize up in Cisco and did not know anyone, someone on the list could say call Bubba, he will take care of you and the Hotel is a nice place to stay. Now, I am not saying ya,ll should or should not do it, just tossing out an idea from college that I know has helped a couple friends of mine out. Again, just a thought and wanted to see what ya'll think good, bad, or indifferent.

HHUUMMMM, what to write, what to write, I got nothing.
Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Furb] #45485 12/15/05 07:24 PM
B
butch sanders Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Furb: I dont know why no one responded, but it is a good idea. My son, is at TT. I really worry about him driving back to Arlington.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: butch sanders] #45486 12/15/05 07:34 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I hadn't seen this post until now. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Furb] #45487 12/15/05 07:40 PM
S
Skybuster05 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
That sounds like a good idea, but you really have to think about it. I am sure there is some sort of background check or somethign to make sure these people on the contact list are legit.

The thing about the web is you have no idea who you are talking too. I mean yeah it seems like I am a clean cut former marine 29 year old computer tech that is easy going and would help someone in need.

But in truth when you meet me I am a clean cut thief that prays on peoples open hearts and becuase I have 90 posts on their favorite forum I should be fine. When infact I am only waiting for you to go to sleep to rob you blind if not more. I can gaurantee you there are paochers that read these boards and even post here to try and gather info to find your land.

Case in point, which I am know is just a chance happening but I talked about some hogs I have on my place about a week ago. Monday night I went out with my nephew to knock some down and there was a guy across the field doing something. When I hit him with the spot he took off. He had 11 hogs on the ground. GW shook my hand on the catch dogs I guess the guy had been hitting several ranches and was selling the meat, whole other story. But anyway you never know

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: txcornhusker] #45488 12/15/05 07:41 PM
A
ak4blkbear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Glad ya pulled this one out of the backlog. Sounds like a good idea to me also.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Skybuster05] #45489 12/15/05 07:52 PM
S
Skybuster05 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Oh by the way I was only making an example......or was I haha I think you guys know what I am talking about

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Skybuster05] #45490 12/15/05 09:15 PM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
First of all some of us (most) have no IDEA who or what is lurking on the Form. I would not call someone that i don't know or never had a formal meeting with to come and pick me up in the case i had a trouble with the vehicle. There are not a lot that know their way around a vehicle to get it fixed, then what. Hay buddy can you drive me to Sherman, it's only 6 hrs. out of your way. Sorry but my phone number will not be given out.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: nature boy] #45491 12/16/05 02:18 AM
B
butch sanders Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
hopefuly our children no self defense. I see the points though.
I just really worry about my little man.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Furb] #45492 12/16/05 02:47 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't know how much any of you know about RV'ing, but one of the clubs or groups out there is the Good Sam's club, and it has members located all over the country that do just what Furb is talking about. When you join the club, you get a directory that not only lists recommended eating places and campgrounds, but also, people in an area that can be called on in case you need help with a mechanical problem. These folks are members, but they are just civic minded enough to be willing to help.

How many of you, given a choice, if you had a wreck on some long piece of highway in the panhandle or far west Texas, would be afraid to call a number of someone that even though you don't know them personnally, would be willing to come how ever far in whatever kind of weather, to help you just because you are a fellow member.

Have we all become so afraid of our shadows that we can't believe that there are still people out there that want to help their fellow human, just because they think it is their duty.

Have we sunk that low as a species. If a fellow THF member called, and they were in a 50 mile radius of our house, Lora and I both would do anything we could to help them out.

At some point, people have to have a little faith in other folks.

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Crazyhorse] #45493 12/16/05 10:33 AM
M
mredneck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Quote:

How many of you, given a choice, if you had a wreck on some long piece of highway in the panhandle or far west Texas, would be afraid to call a number of someone that even though you don't know them personnally, would be willing to come how ever far in whatever kind of weather, to help you just because you are a fellow member.

Been there done that! About 12 years ago I lived in Plainview, going to WBU, and was driving home after beeing at 6 flags, in Arlington, all day. About 2 am just out side of Dickens, I fell asleep in road construction and totaled my friends car. NO ONE ELSE WAS ON THE ROAD. We atarted walking to Dickens. A guy in a dump truck picked us up and took us to a service station where he got his wrecker and called the local DPS officer. Called my friends mom to meet us and take us to Plainview. Now if my wife and kids are not with me I stop to help out stranded motorists.

24 looks best when it is upside down
Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: mredneck] #45494 12/16/05 03:17 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I think its a good idea. I'd be leary of anyone, but more apt to trust a hunter than a non-hunter. NE of the metro mess, I'd be glad to help. I have to help wayward HS kids out of the mud all the time. First time is free, second time is $50 for being stupid!

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Furb] #45495 12/20/05 02:07 AM
T
tgil Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I can relate to what skybuster is saying. I had a scary thought when I met another THF member to go coyote hunting. Before the night was over, we were playing follow the leader in three different vehicles. My nephew was in the lead, I was in the middle, and three of my guns were in the bed of the other guys truck who followed behind. He was the one I only knew from here. You just have to get to know folks. I've pm'd several I'm not sure I'd want to even go snipe hunting with, but several others I'd give the shirt off of my back. Just my .02

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: Crazyhorse] #45496 12/20/05 02:47 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You make a great point Randall. If I were out in the middle of no where and broke down and could call a THF member that had volunteered to help, I'd call them in a second.

Would be more apt to do it if I were by myself than if I had Stacey with me.

If I broke down around Azle, I'd stay at your place for a couple weeks!! Make you cook me some more fish that is out of this world!!

Re: THF ROAD TRIP HELPERS [Re: txcornhusker] #45497 12/20/05 01:36 PM
S
SmallGauge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Another answer would be to act like an informal "Good Sam Club". Simply submit a list with reputable/clean hotels/motels, mechanics, tire shops, etc.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide