Print Thread
Opinion on black powder, shotgun, rifle deer hunting #4527812 08/31/13 02:12 AM
T
theserxtremedays Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
So I'm being a good husband and moving to Indiana for a while so my wife can be closer to her mother who is having a bunch of health issues. Indiana doesn't have nearly the options for hunting that Texas has. I'm already set on the archery option. You can't use much is a rifle there but I have figured out I could do a 458 socom build to use an AR there. Only downside is it will cost me about $500 just to buy the specific parts for that caliber. Other options are Slug barrel on my shotgun and black powder rifle. I'll eventually build a 458 because I want to, it will be a heck of a hog killer or whatever else.
Blackpowder vs 12 gauge with a rifled barrel, which would you say is better. Right now I'm leaning towards the 12 gauge simply because its a barrel swap and slugs. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions or things to add to the mix for me to think over. Thanks again.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

you must realize that fear is not real, It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand, danger is very real, but fear is our choice!
Re: Opinion on black powder, shotgun, rifle deer hunting [Re: theserxtremedays] #4528105 08/31/13 04:14 AM
O
okjhutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
i have used both, with a shotgun you have quicker follow up shots, but you loose accuracy and distance, but you have alot of guns,ammo to choose from.

the black powder is more accurate and you can get some distance, follow ups shots a bit slower, but once you get used to them not to bad, use speed loads.

I have both, prefer my blackpowder, what i have found is the CVA accuras they come with the bergrra barrels, some of the most accurate on the market.

I have a buddy that wants to sell his muzzleloader, its brand new never shot, scope is also new, its a remington gensis if you are interested.

Re: Opinion on black powder, shotgun, rifle deer hunting [Re: okjhutch] #4528574 08/31/13 03:21 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If you will find one of the less expensive bolt action rifled barrel slug guns like a Remmy/Mossberg 695 or a Marlin 55, you can get 200 yard reach at $250/$300 without the scope...or you can spend $1000/$1200 for a georgous Browning ABolt, with the NIB Savage BA's in between at $450/$500+ with goodies like SS or camo'd head to toe yadda yadda.

The Bolt Action guns apparantly are measurably more accurate because of the BA CF Rifle styled Barrel/Reciever/Stock configuration that is not dependent on a single threaded screw to hold the butt to the reciever and/or the loose fit removable barrel setup on any of the pump/auto slug guns.

Go look at Gun Broker under the "Other" Shotgun listing and type "slug" in the search bar to see what I'm talking about.

Me myself I'd hold out for a now disc'd wood/blue Marlin 55 in the bottom price range, or I'd choose a Savage 20 guage @ over 1800fps would be perfect to reach out past 150 yards reliably with under 4-6" 5 shot groups before the drop issue can become a problem....but these Rifled Slug Guns can kill WTails past 200 yards no problem if you can figure the drop from the pics I've seen on line in another website.

One other caveat I picked up doing research earlier this year looking for one of these to use in some shotgun only areas here in Texas...use the max length Ammo your chamber will accept to lessen the chance of the Sabot (the plastic sleeve that holds the rifled slug) wobbling any at all in the small unsupported jump from the chamber to the rifled part of the barrel....like shooting a 2 3/4" round in a 3 1/2" chamber. OBTW these things KICK bigtime worse in pump/autos than in the BA's because of the drop at heel of the butt stock in the pump/autos.
Cheers
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 08/31/13 03:36 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Opinion on black powder, shotgun, rifle deer hunting [Re: WileyCoyote] #4528586 08/31/13 03:28 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
They do have some screwy hunting regs up there. I think they recently relaxed the prohibition on rifles, but I don't recall the details.

My wife's family is mostly in northern Indiana and we go up there every couple of years in the fall. The only workable timeslot this year falls during the first few weeks of OUR hunting season (GRRRRR!!) so we'll be up there in November. Her uncles like to shoot trap at one of the public hunting areas that has a range, so I always take a shotgun with me. Which reminds me---I need to load up some shotshells pretty soon!

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide