Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4517941 08/28/13 12:30 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
NBA teaches the pick & roll to get closer to animals.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: rifleman] #4518006 08/28/13 12:50 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I think that all of these "hunting shows" have attracted more folks to the sport. However, I think many are coming to it for the wrong reasons. Hunting began as a necessity for food. It evolved into a pass time to bring families and friends closer. For many, it still is. But now it seems that more and more it's all about "Freak nasty bucks", name brands gadgets and most of all, money.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: LandPirate] #4518172 08/28/13 01:47 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I think that all of these "hunting shows" have attracted more folks to the sport. However, I think many are coming to it for the wrong reasons. Hunting began as a necessity for food. It evolved into a pass time to bring families and friends closer. For many, it still is. But now it seems that more and more it's all about "Freak nasty bucks", name brands gadgets and most of all, money.

I agree.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4518237 08/28/13 02:03 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Well, when i started this post, I did not expect this many comments. They are all great. I guess I will share my opinion also. I won't say hunting shows are bad, as a matter of fact, I enjoy watching them sometimes. A few years ago I was actually involved in filming and hunting for one of the major production companys in the hunting industry. I always thought how cool it would be to be on a hunting show. Let me tell you, it is not that great! As you get into it deeper, you lose the fact you are hunting and are so worried about everything being right( camerman has good view, sun light is good, are you getting the b-roll you need etc.) Example you have a great hunt, everything was perfect, you play back footage and realize the heads on the camera were dirty and its awful footage, your heart sinks, but the fact is it was a great hunt, but you dont think about that at the time. I know this sounds off topic, but that experience led me to my opinion on the publicized aspect of hunting. I realized that some people truly do not care about what others think and we should all be more that way, but whether you like it or not it has influenced the way the majority of hunters hunt. I will give you some examples: if your buddy kills just a deer, pics are not immediately sent, however big buck goes down everyone in his contact list will have one. 2. Every one has a friend that harps on scores, 15 years ago not many hunters even understood scores much less even talked about them. 3. I would bet that 90% of the hunters on here own a couple of devices that are suppose to make them better hunters. In conclusion I am not saying it is a bad thing, just deep thoughts. By the way I will admit I am a trophy hunter, but what is a trophy will be determined by me, when I pull the trigger.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4518269 08/28/13 02:08 AM
S
stx44mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
hunting has changed me, in becoming a better shooter, Still love opening days get excited everytime sitting in a blind or on the ground, I sat in a blind this moring didnt see a thing, later saw more sitting in my tractor working, And still got exicted. Hunt for youself and enjoy the times hunting, it could end one day.. up

First... teach a child to love GOD.

Teach them second... to love their family.

Third, teach them to hunt & fish... and by the time they reach

their teens, no dope peddler under the sun...will ever have a

chance to teach them anything. ---Cotton Cordell
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Jkd106] #4518272 08/28/13 02:10 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'll say you see much less backlash out of hunting shows that are obviously on public land ( hunting big game & showing some obvious landmarks when they pan their hunting area) than you do out of the public land duck hunters...

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: stxranchman] #4518315 08/28/13 02:19 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by jshouse
i just saw this the other day, one of the best hunting videos i have ever seen and its only 2:03 long. i think i will be just like him if i get the buck i am after.

i have never figured out the cool way you guys put the video in your posts, so here..

http://youtu.be/jb3zClHDCOM

Man why'd ya have to go and post something like this? I wimped out after seeing this...lol. Awesome and Very touching. I love putting meat in the freezer but this is what it's all about ....

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Tjack28] #4518332 08/28/13 02:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever seen?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: cmc] #4518354 08/28/13 02:29 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cmc
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: cmc
I think some people need to realize that like watching a baseball game there are two teams, stop watching the hunting shows for the hunters watch em for the animals. The animals don't know they are on a show so what they are doing is what they do everyday which can teach you something. How a duck responds to a certain call or how a coyote may hunt mice in a field, you can learn things by watching the animals. Just because some guy is telling you how great he is and what product he uses doesn't mean you can't watch and learn from the animals.

The problem is they show very little of the animals.

Dogcatcher I agree but how often are you in the woods at 10pm on Tuesday in July?
Some show animals more than others but all more than a NBA game or some other waste of time on TV.

Before I landed up half blind and with 2 bad legs and could not drive, I was going to our place at least once a week, most weeks twice or more. This was year round not just deer season, the only times that didn't happen was when we were in Ruidoso for a week or 2.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: dogcatcher] #4518505 08/28/13 03:08 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I'm going to say that the mainstreaming of hunting and hunting videos has been an AMAZING thing for our sport.

Look at the approval ratings for HUNTING since it started... DUCK DYNASTY is the most popular show on cable television...

Hunting was atrophying in this country.

For the first time in 30? years we are ADDING hunters to the sport.

That is the direct result of shows getting into peoples living rooms.

Hunters aren't shown as evil bambi killers. They are shown as respectful middle american families.

That's a GREAT thing for hunting in the future.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: AmoCuernos] #4518570 08/28/13 03:29 AM
R
Redneckdrew07 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
I'm going to say that the mainstreaming of hunting and hunting videos has been an AMAZING thing for our sport.

Look at the approval ratings for HUNTING since it started... DUCK DYNASTY is the most popular show on cable television...

Hunting was atrophying in this country.

For the first time in 30? years we are ADDING hunters to the sport.

That is the direct result of shows getting into peoples living rooms.

Hunters aren't shown as evil bambi killers. They are shown as respectful middle american families.

That's a GREAT thing for hunting in the future.

Agreed

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4519230 08/28/13 01:35 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Tjack28
i just saw this the other day, one of the best hunting videos i have ever seen and its only 2:03 long. i think i will be just like him if i get the buck i am after.

i have never figured out the cool way you guys put the video in your posts, so here..

Man why'd ya have to go and post something like this? I wimped out after seeing this...lol. Awesome and Very touching. I love putting meat in the freezer but this is what it's all about ....
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever seen?

Yes Nogalus, it is.

For me, being in a front row seat to observe the outdoors is what my reward is. I love harvesting mature bucks, but its not the be all end all, just the icing on the cake.

The influence of hunting shows I view overall as being positive, in that it has added hunters to what was a shrinking tradition. It's up to all of us veteran hunters to teach them to hunt for the right reasons. And I embrace that responsibility.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4520435 08/28/13 08:08 PM
txh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
That video is gold!

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: txtrophy85] #4520538 08/28/13 08:45 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

that is awesome

Agreed!

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: txh] #4520541 08/28/13 08:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: txh
That video is gold!

lol, i have watched it at least 10 times since i found it a few days ago, my boys (5 and 3) like watching it too.

its so funny to see how much people get worked up over hunting shows when all they have to do is turn the channel. take them for what they are worth, with most of them you are getting to see some big deer, with some of them you get some good info, and with all of them you get the infommercials.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Deerhunter61] #4521655 08/29/13 02:30 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I deer hunt because I love to deer hunt. I do spend more money to do so now but that's because The Lord has blessed me and I can afford to spend a little more than I could when I was a young man. So am I personally spending more because of the shows? No. Is it possible that the shows have driven up the cost? Perhaps.

What is a trophy? I think the question has multiple answers to me. Size of antlers for sure identify trophies. But to me the real trophies are the ones that take into consideration much more than the animal. They include your family, hunting buddies and the memories created when taking the trophies whatever size the antlers are. Two come to mind...first is a little five point I took in Arkansas a few years ago. I went to our Men's family hunting reunion and when I got there my dad ask me to get he and my mom some meat which I was able to do. The fact that I was able to give my Dad the meat and had the opportunity to hunt with my extended family was awesome. The other was hunting with my ex FIL. I shot a little seven point right after he and I split up. It had be raining for a couple of days. We walked over a mile in the mud to get to the area we were going to hunt. When we split up he told me not to shoot anything that wasn't a big one because of the rain etc. he hadn't even made to the place he was going to hunt when he heard my shot. As we carried that buck out of there he never stopped giving me a hard time...

Those are the real trophies to me...although that beautiful almost perfect 10 point that scored 144 I got is also an awesome trophy!

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Jkd106] #4521897 08/29/13 03:45 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Well I have pondered this on my own for awhile, now its time to involve yall.
Do you think the way hunting has been publicized, over the past few years has hurt you as a hunter or helped you? Let me explain, take television, majority of hunting shows focus on trully monster deer and mystical places. So now peer pressure makes us want to kill big deer, which makes us spend more money, which creates more stress, which makes it harder to enjoy the reason we started hunting. So you see where this is leading, just take a moment and give me your thoughts, but before you do, reflect for a minute on hunting when you were a kid.
Wow...You just summed up my whole philosophy in three paragraphs.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: Erathkid] #4521911 08/29/13 03:52 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
When I was a kid I only got to hold a BB gun once we got into position, such as, on the edge of a Dove field on the 1st of September. Our Dad never hunted Deer, when he was growing up he only had Squirrels to hunt. He was also a bird hunter. When my older brother and I got introduced to Deer hunting we were eaten' up with the whole concept. Camping out, pre-season scouting, learning from older hunters and enjoying the company of like minded people. What more could you ask for? Killing a deer is just a bonus. I still feel that way and can't wait for that first cool front every year. It's magical. It takes me back.

Last edited by Erathkid; 08/29/13 03:58 AM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deep thoughts [Re: scalebuster] #4521915 08/29/13 03:56 AM
R
redundeadd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I hunt on 40 acres with 2 other people, sometimes 3. Yes its tight hunting. I haven't seen a deer in the stand since 2010, which was a nice 12 point so I cant complain. But I still enjoy spending the time with family and at least getting the chance to hunt. This is probably the best thread I've seen so far.

Re: Deep thoughts [Re: redundeadd] #4523136 08/29/13 05:29 PM
C
cleetus Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Size of the deer really doesn't seem that much and I found I learned more being a lurker at sites like this than on any of the shows. Turned them off, I want the whole experience, not a trophy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide