Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cold winter [Re: old guy] #4517835 08/27/13 11:51 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
you guys would be shocked to see how much corn is now flooded or shredded in the Midwest. And it ain't 10 acres here and there...more like thousand of acres all over the Midwest are flooded each season now. Leasing land to clubs/outfitters has become a farmers wet dream in the past 10 years. does it stop the entire mallard population? NO. but it ain't helping either. Birds are not imprinted either like they were back as early as the mid to late 90's when the crème de la crème of green shoots started to come to a halt. yea, some of you cats may string up a green limit a day or 2 but the old farts like myself know what was what when it was really good. Lack of food source down here, declining imprinting over the years and a friggin outpouring of new hunters into the field the past 10 years will cause birds to change patterns. As far as the weather..yea it sucks..Green or not I likes me a butt azz cold ,blue bird morning and we don't even get those much each season anymore to make it feel like duck season. I agree whole heartedly with Todd's statement. Those of you who have been around as long as we have understand this to be true as well.

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Cold winter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4517841 08/27/13 11:54 PM
T
TomBaty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

While I'm not a fan of DU, no farmer is going to flood $ 2000-2500acre corn. Makes no sense, zero. To flood 10 acres of corn that's 20k-25k. That's a lot of damn duck hunts. Grant it 10 acres of open water with corn will hold thousands of birds. But still your talking an entire migration.

Big two things is--- its been a while since we had a harsh fall up north. Kansas/Oklahoma have been stack up with ducks will in to Jan because its taking that long for the water to hard freeze.

Second part of equation is look at the farming changes in east texas. No more peanuts and not a rice crop worth a flip in last few years.

Now I'm sure big hunt clubs up north and DU entire season ice eaters are effecting us some but for the most part as long as the majority of the water north of us isn't freezing then the ducks have no reason to leave. When my family are shooting 6-8man limits of Greenheads on my ranch all the way to the last day of Oklahoma season, that means us guys that are for the most part at the end of the migration route are screwed because those ducks aren't going to make it to us durning season

It's interesting that you bring DU into this conversation. I work for a company that sells into the ag industry all over the US. I was talking with a gentleman from Stuttgart one day, and somehow DU got brought up. His opinion of them was ... less than positive.

According to him, DU has these 'rest stations' around the Mississippi delta and elsewhere. They're property DU owns or leases, and he claimed DU tosses corn out on them. The corn provides a food source and keeps anyone from being able to hunt the area.

Even allowing for some exaggeration, the man was talking huge amounts of corn. He was middle-aged, had lived in the area his whole life, and said that the duck hunting has been noticeably impacted.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm all for DU. I think they're absolutely great and do wonders for duck hunting, the duck hunting community, and duck populations. I merely bring this up as another voice chiming in to say that migration routes can be changed. I'm not for, against, or indifferent; just interested.

Re: Cold winter [Re: Homey da Clown] #4517856 08/28/13 12:00 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Sounds like y'all are just making excuses for a season that has yet to happen. Excuse prepping...thats a new one. There's record number of ducks getting ready to pile down through the central flyway, whether their heads are green, red, purple or black just shoot them. They'll be plentiful and available to those that make the effort to find'em and kill'em.

Re: Cold winter [Re: Ben Lilly] #4517867 08/28/13 12:03 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
Sounds like y'all are just making excuses for a season that has yet to happen. Excuse prepping...thats a new one. There's record number of ducks getting ready to pile down through the central flyway, whether their heads are green, red, purple or black just shoot them. They'll be plentiful and available to those that make the effort to find'em and kill'em.

not an excuse...FACT! You string up green every day for weeks on end during the season and then get back to me, scooter. ain't gonna happen What we will do though is bust the heII out of glads and widg to no end! ...and that is fine with me

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Cold winter [Re: Homey da Clown] #4517896 08/28/13 12:14 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Ahh hell, I don't care bout shootin no park ducks.

ScooterCogburn13

Re: Cold winter [Re: Homey da Clown] #4517920 08/28/13 12:23 AM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13

not an excuse...FACT! You string up green every day for weeks on end during the season and then get back to me, scooter. ain't gonna happen What we will do though is bust the heII out of glads and widg to no end! ...and that is fine with me

The facts are in the numbers.

797 green heads in 96.
812 in 97

Declining from there
29/2012 birds shot here last yr on my properties.

My point is Dont expect "fronts/cold" to push birds.

I hunt with a friend on the platte river in NE. Now they get pushes of birds!

I'm with rooster though. I will take this over a pile of green any day!

Re: Cold winter [Re: TomBaty] #4518626 08/28/13 03:52 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TomBaty
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

While I'm not a fan of DU, no farmer is going to flood $ 2000-2500acre corn. Makes no sense, zero. To flood 10 acres of corn that's 20k-25k. That's a lot of damn duck hunts. Grant it 10 acres of open water with corn will hold thousands of birds. But still your talking an entire migration.

Big two things is--- its been a while since we had a harsh fall up north. Kansas/Oklahoma have been stack up with ducks will in to Jan because its taking that long for the water to hard freeze.

Second part of equation is look at the farming changes in east texas. No more peanuts and not a rice crop worth a flip in last few years.

Now I'm sure big hunt clubs up north and DU entire season ice eaters are effecting us some but for the most part as long as the majority of the water north of us isn't freezing then the ducks have no reason to leave. When my family are shooting 6-8man limits of Greenheads on my ranch all the way to the last day of Oklahoma season, that means us guys that are for the most part at the end of the migration route are screwed because those ducks aren't going to make it to us durning season

It's interesting that you bring DU into this conversation. I work for a company that sells into the ag industry all over the US. I was talking with a gentleman from Stuttgart one day, and somehow DU got brought up. His opinion of them was ... less than positive.

According to him, DU has these 'rest stations' around the Mississippi delta and elsewhere. They're property DU owns or leases, and he claimed DU tosses corn out on them. The corn provides a food source and keeps anyone from being able to hunt the area.

Even allowing for some exaggeration, the man was talking huge amounts of corn. He was middle-aged, had lived in the area his whole life, and said that the duck hunting has been noticeably impacted.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm all for DU. I think they're absolutely great and do wonders for duck hunting, the duck hunting community, and duck populations. I merely bring this up as another voice chiming in to say that migration routes can be changed. I'm not for, against, or indifferent; just interested.

DU thinks its cool to pump water in Nebraska in Dec. Explain to me why the hell you need to flood in Dec in Nebraska. Every thing is frozen they can drain an aquifer with your donations for their private hunting land.

Only one way to save the duck, protect their spring time nesting habitat. Out side of that DU has no business, especially in politcs like supporting cap and trade

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cold winter [Re: old guy] #4519625 08/28/13 03:31 PM
M
Moonie Magnum Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Let's get some snow! I want the deer to be forced to come to my feeders.

Texas is better.
Re: Cold winter [Re: Moonie Magnum] #4519653 08/28/13 03:39 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: Moonie Magnum
Let's get some snow! I want the deer to be forced to come to my feeders.

Moonie...love the sig bro texas

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Cold winter [Re: Homey da Clown] #4519696 08/28/13 03:55 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Homey dont play that

Re: Cold winter [Re: TomBaty] #4519785 08/28/13 04:25 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TomBaty

I sent this part to several callmakers and 3 different game wardens that work along the Mississippi flyway. They all said basically this is a lot of misinformation.

Part of one of the responses.
Quote:
There is a group of people that continue to want to blame DU and the government for the change in the duck migration patterns. Number one reason for a change?! ALL the GOOD ground that was private has been turned into plain ol' crop fields. There are no water puddles left. There's especially no shallow water left. If water is pooling somewhere, its now turned into a 10-20 foot deep pond, not a wetland.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Cold winter [Re: dogcatcher] #4519947 08/28/13 05:20 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I kill plenty of mallards in TX. smile

Re: Cold winter [Re: dogcatcher] #4519967 08/28/13 05:26 PM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Hey Elder, if you don't like other's opionion, why don't you just STFU and move on.

Re: Cold winter [Re: Water Turkey2] #4520057 08/28/13 05:50 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Brazos and Homey are right on track.....I agree 100%

Various things over the years have stopped mallards from migrating to Texas like they used to. Some of you may not be old enough or hunted long enough to know the difference, but its true.

Everything from drought, changes in Ag practices, short stopping, lies about bird counts and College DU Topwaters have all had negative impacts.

Easy there Sandman.....we all know you are a mallard killin mofo!!

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: Cold winter [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #4520657 08/28/13 09:26 PM
S
shalor Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I am with Brazosboyt...mallards are a rarity in central texas now. When everything froze up 3-4 years ago we got no push of ducks and what was here left. Early season I have had some good hunts shooting widgeon, pintail, gadwalls. Peanut country around Rochester doesn't get near as many mallards as they use to either(they still get millions of geese though).

Re: Cold winter [Re: Water Turkey2] #4521102 08/29/13 12:00 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: Water Turkey2
Hey Elder, if you don't like other's opionion, why don't you just STFU and move on.

You do the same thing Save the Cormorant

#sigline
Re: Cold winter [Re: #Hayraker] #4521106 08/29/13 12:00 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I however will not so save your breath

#sigline
Re: Cold winter [Re: #Hayraker] #4521130 08/29/13 12:06 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Well, unless you ask nicely

#sigline
Re: Cold winter [Re: #Hayraker] #4550404 09/08/13 08:58 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Mallards have learned to stay in city parks where they are fed AND don't have to migrate back and forth.

Gadwalls are the new greenheads

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide