Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? #450868 10/12/08 03:04 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Seems like we have some members wanting to backpeddle and start back that old tired business of saying, "Your The Type/Kind Of Hunter, That Gives Other Hunters A Bad Name."

That was in the past, is today, and will be for eternity.

Thoughts/Opinions/Ideas/Comments/Responses posted on an Internet Bulletin Board/Chat Room/Forum are merely words typed onto a computer monitor that show up on the site.

The only folks reading them are other hunters, and they may agree/disagree or not care either way.

What does everyone believe really gives hunter's a Bad Name/Image to the General Public.

I am not talking about the Lunatic Fringe Anti's, I mean the average, everyday, Non-Hunting citizen, that even though they do not hunt, they have nothing against those of us that do, enjoying our sport.

What gives us a "Black Eye" in the minds of the voting Public?

Here is my List.

1. Poachers that do not obey the game laws. These people are not hunters, but thieves and parasites that steal from hunters/landowners alike.

2. "Hunters" that show disdain toward their fellow hunters, because they do not hold themselves to the same "High Standards" as the "Real Hunter" does.

3. Slob Hunters, that "Trash Out", the Public Areas that are available to them. Go to any Public Dove hunting areas and look at the bird feathers/shotgun hulls and other bits and pieces of trash left after a couple of days of hunting.

I feel the same way toward fishermen that trash our waterways and beaches.

4. People that do not respect the game they have killed nor the other people around them that may not care about seeing a dead animal on top of a vehicle roof.

In my opinion it is fine to be proud of your kill, but while others may be happy for you, they may not want to see its gutted abdomen and bloody hide and tongue hanging out of its head for 10 miles on I-20.

5. Not supporting each other and our right to choose the way we want to hunt as individuals.

What are some of everyone else's thoughts on this.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450869 10/12/08 03:16 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D

Agree on your points, but #2 and # 3 are my pet peeves.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: deerfeeder] #450870 10/12/08 04:28 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
You are right on! Keep going...

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450871 10/12/08 04:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450872 10/12/08 04:51 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
CH what a great post. Some people I have hunted with, fit every one. However I am one who not only likes, but loves to carry my game on my roof. Simple reason. I drive a Suburban. Can't put it in the bed. If I carry it in the back then you subject your meat to heat. That aint good. I got one of those carry-all hitch receivers. They're not bad but if you go down dirt roads, I do, that gives your meat a good dusting. That aint good. Sometimes I get guys on my lease to take the deer to the processor. But I must admit, after harvesting a good deer, I do love to see all the thumbs up. That's good!!!!

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Big Tony] #450873 10/12/08 05:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Tony, free country and you can do as you please, but I have found those huge igloo coolers hold two quartered deer, also seems to taste better the quicker you get them on ice. I have two with wheels on them and wouldn't trade them for the world. Just a thought.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #450874 10/12/08 05:22 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That's a good idea. I am lucky enough to have 2 processors with in 20 miles of my lease in NW San Saba county. I have never had to quarter any of my deer. It's just easier to haul 'em in. More so if you have a truck. After all I am a tad LAZY. And we all know that our weather aint good for hangin deer most of the time.

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #450875 10/12/08 05:26 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
+1 J

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Big Tony] #450876 10/12/08 08:07 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Cheap tarps don't cost that much and can be hosed off.

Simple matter, wrap the body in the tarp and use bungees to hold the tarp in place and leave the rack sticking out.

Been there, done that all the way back from Nebraska.

Does everyone that passes you know what is under that tarp, Hell Yes they do, do they have to look at the carcass, no, they can see the rack and you will still get the thumbs up.

It is a case of being considerate of other people and the image they develope of hunters.

Question, do you haul does the same way?

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #450877 10/12/08 08:23 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
FOLKS WHO DRINK AND HUNT AT THE SAME TIME.

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: OFBHWG] #450878 10/12/08 09:02 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Only if they do it in front of the Public. JMO.

Not meaning to be flippant with that answer, but if a person has a problem with something someone else is doing, especially in a hunting camp, then they need to address the problem with that person.

This issue has been discussed on here before, and the general conclusions were that some folks have no problem with a little drinking going on, some do, but it is up to the person having the problem to make that problem known.

Did I drink on the hunt you were on with me, yes I did.

I do not deny that at all.

Do I drink during everyone of my hunts, it depends upon the clients.

With some groups, we will drink a few beers when in the field.

With other groups we only drink at night after supper, with some groups, I am the only one drinking a few beers after supper around the campfire.

With some groups they have drank a few glasses of wine before and during supper, then just set around the campfire or ranch house and talk.

With some folks they wanted to drink all day, so we got our hunting over early and hung around the ranch house or just drove the pasture roads watching the wildlife.

Many folks on here or that used to be on here have admitted taking a beer or two to the deer stand with them, or taking a few beers along when out dove hunting.

When does the problem change from being one of concern for safety, to one of personal issues regarding anyone drinking any amount at all?

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 10/12/08 09:30 PM.
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450879 10/12/08 10:09 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quote:

A good friend of mine Ted Bundy told me that Cheap tarps don't cost that much and can be hosed off.

Simple matter, wrap the body in the tarp and use bungees to hold the tarp in place and leave the rack sticking out.

Been there, done that all the way back from Nebraska.

Does everyone that passes you know what is under that tarp, Hell Yes they do, do they have to look at the carcass, no, they can see the rack and you will still get the thumbs up.

It is a case of being considerate of other people and the image they develop.

Question, do you haul the same way?

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Sethfish] #450880 10/12/08 11:18 PM
K
KellyAsh Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Quote:

Quote:

A good friend of mine Ted Bundy told me that Cheap tarps don't cost that much and can be hosed off.

LMAO !!! Ted Bundy would know about things like that!

I do like the idea though. It's a good compromise between non-hunter consideration and ease of transport for hunters.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? *DELETED* [Re: KellyAsh] #450881 10/12/08 11:23 PM
B
bownanza1 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Post deleted by HWY_MAN

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: bownanza1] #450882 10/12/08 11:42 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You were warned.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450883 10/12/08 11:48 PM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sure! It's still a Suburban. OK my wife will kill me if I get blood inside it. There I said it. OK? LOL Dang right i put does on top. That's all I've had up there. I've only shot one buck in the 2 years I've had it, and a buddy of mine hauled it in his truck. Good guys on my lease. The best.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Big Tony] #450884 10/13/08 12:00 AM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
All I am getting at, is consideration for the folks you come into contact with in your travels when hunting.

Around the entire country, hunters have gone to discouraging the transport of game openly, due to the negative response/impression it can cause.

In fact in some states it is against the law to transport game in such a manner and more states every year are considering passing such legislation.

Is it being PC, yes and no, but why take the chance of alienating a group that has no problem with people hunting, but does have a problem with some of the behaviors that some of us think neat. JMO.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450885 10/13/08 12:11 AM
S
SpringCreek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I really like how "US" Texans not always but have a little beef with the state for not having enough public land.. Got back from Idaho a month ago and they have over 80 million acres of PUBLIC hunting land.. Ya we dont have as much and we would all like more, I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt everything I hunt on my own ranch... What I am getting at is what you stated in the post.. People that trash or take advantage of public hunting grounds.. I wish people that do hunt public would take better care of it.. I do believe people that post you tube videos like the one previously posted where the guy was killing the hogs with the .22.. Cant be good for us hunters..

Brandon

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450886 10/13/08 12:15 AM
B
BlackSnake Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I like my beer, but I do not hunt and drink. I have dove hunted with folks that drink and shoot, but I save my drinking till after the hunt. I do believe its the law and I'd hate to loose my hunting privileges over a beer or two.

My pet peeve would have to be the trash. I absolutely hate to see trash left behind in the fields and roads to them. Its honestly depressing to visit such a beautiful place and have to put up with all the trash left behind. I just don't get it.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: BlackSnake] #450887 10/13/08 12:30 AM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I am not sure if it is a law or not, especially on Private Land, but it is a Personal Choice, and I repeat myself, if a person has a problem, then they need to come forward and discuss it with the offending person.

If it is a Safety issue, that is one thing, if it is because someone has a personal issue with anyone that drinks, that is different.

On the issue of trash, for the fourth year in a row, My Pet Peeve, is going by a Road Side Park/Rest area and seeing Deer Camp trash piled up around the litter cans, especially stacks of empty deer corn sacks two feet thick.

A year or two back, one of the members of this site was all becnt out of shape because he got fined for littering, because he stopped and dropped off a bunch of corn sacks next to an already full trash can, Folks, if it don't go in the can, That Is littering, Plain and simple and it is not the responsibility of the State of Texas to provide a place for us to throw our empty feed sacks, PERIOD.

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450888 10/13/08 12:38 AM
B
Beman Deamon Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
In response to #5

Its my truck, my deer, my choice. If PETA dont like it Im sorry. I dont want blood in my seats, so its going on the Hood.

as for the rest I agree 110%

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: BlackSnake] #450889 10/13/08 12:46 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

I like my beer, but I do not hunt and drink. I have dove hunted with folks that drink and shoot, but I save my drinking till after the hunt. I do believe its the law and I'd hate to loose my hunting privileges over a beer or two.

Good point. And that's our rule too. Only person we have ever run off of the lease was hunting amongst a pile of beer cans...

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Beman Deamon] #450890 10/13/08 12:49 AM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Quote:

In response to #5

Its my truck, my deer, my choice. If PETA dont like it Im sorry. I dont want blood in my seats, so its going on the Hood.

as for the rest I agree 110%

I would have left out the "sorry" part, and added TUFF CHIT!!!!

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Beman Deamon] #450891 10/13/08 12:50 AM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
That is the point, this has nothing to do with PETA, this has to do with having respect for other people and how they may feel about seeing a bloody deer carcass.

If you do not respect other people than that is fine for you, personally, I do not plan on giving ANYONE a reason to vote against hunting, simply because I am too arrogant to try and present myself as a responsible hunter that respects the game I kill

Re: Giving Hunters A Bad Name??? [Re: Crazyhorse] #450892 10/13/08 12:52 AM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
If they dont like what they see........THEN THEY CAN STOP LOOKING!!!!!!

I dont like looking at Obama bumber stickers so I just pass them!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide