Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,533
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts #4481591 08/15/13 04:14 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Hello everyone - I haven't really made mention of this idea too much with folks on THF before, but after seeing some pics of Dawaba's Africa Safari hunts, I got re-inspired and wanted to talk about some ideas I had for a book.

I own and run a publishing company featuring a lot of work from a former National Geographic writer of 23 years, named Harvey Arden. We've mainly put out books that are by, for, or about Native American Indians and Indigenous Elders, worldwide....but I'm looking to expand to other genres. The company is called HYT Publishing: www.HaveYouThought.com.

I've had a few hunting related books that have been on the back burner...well, I'm thinking of getting those going again, and I was thinking it might be cool to have something like a BEST OF THF book.

I was thinking about starting off with an eBook and then maybe doing a printed book later somewhere down the line. I speak from experience when I say that publishing hardcopy books can be tough...unless you have a best seller on your hands. People want to buy more eBooks than hardcopy these days - at least from my personal experience...or they look for gently used books at a discounted price. I can see a hardcopy book of hunting stories with pics of the end results being pretty cool as a coffee table book though! But for now, I think an eBook would be a very cool start!

Anyhow, I'm just flushing some ideas out, but I wanted to reach out and get some feedback from y'all about a couple of things:

(1.) Do you have some hunting stories that you'd like to share? I'm looking for epic adventures, funny stories, great pics, good teaching lessons, and something inspiring to read for a young hunter. I'm a family man, and want to keep it family friendly, so I wouldn't want any stories that are TOO crazy.

(2.) I would think as an eBook, it would be kinda neat to have it be free - to just get it out in the world and have our stories be heard.

(3.) Would you download a copy of such a book?

Feel free to respond here, PM me, or send me an email to: george@haveyouthought.com

Thanks!
George

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: Son of a Blitch] #4481731 08/15/13 04:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
They have already published a series on me, working on movie rights now.

Adventures of a lost Clown.

First book- young red dirt outlaw
Second- Dollar drafts at City Limits
Third- tripod clown and the muzzle loader
Fourth-got married lost hunt privlages, decide to get wife involved in hunting, she claimed all favorite guns as hers.
Fifth-legand of Nic'em and rise of the Big Deal
Sixth- clown gets new sectional
Seventh- big deal blows it again
Eight- Mini me clown takes all clowns money
Nine- big deal returns...to be continued

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4481798 08/15/13 05:19 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
How about, "The Legendary Exploits of LandPirate". About a seafaring sportfisherman who gets tricked into becoming a cop, in a land locked world of mystery and mayhem. In his quest to return to the sea, he is sidetracked into the world of trophy hunting. However, his wife uses up all of his money and he can't even hunt anymore.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: LandPirate] #4482079 08/15/13 06:38 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
"Choctaw's Hunting Adventures"

You could trace my roots from the great Eastern Woodland tribe and regale your readers with my adventure stories. Your readers could travel with a card carrying Indian as I hunt exotic game such as dove, deer and hogs. They will hold their breath in anticipation as Choctaw stalks to within killing distance and gracefully misses his target...on second thought, maybe you should go with LandPirate. At least his story has a woman in it.

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: Choctaw] #4482324 08/15/13 07:52 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
These are all best sellers, of course...hard to choose which one to go with...

On a serious note - Was thinking of a collection of stories for the book...maybe one per hunter...maybe two if you have a couple good ones. I'd think it'd make for an interesting book. I have about 7 people that are in so far...

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: Son of a Blitch] #4482343 08/15/13 07:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I can author the story "how to roll into camp at 4am and still have a successful hunt"

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: LandPirate] #4483757 08/16/13 03:43 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
How about, "The Legendary Exploits of LandPirate". About a seafaring sportfisherman who gets tricked into becoming a cop, in a land locked world of mystery and mayhem. In his quest to return to the sea, he is sidetracked into the world of trophy hunting. However, his wife uses up all of his money and he can't even hunt anymore.
I'm not sure what to say...You microencapsulated it, right there.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: Erathkid] #4484370 08/16/13 02:16 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If you keep each of the stories short, one, maybe two pages, most of the people on the forum could even keep up.

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4484382 08/16/13 02:19 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
They have already published a series on me, working on movie rights now.

Adventures of a lost Clown.

First book- young red dirt outlaw
Second- Dollar drafts at City Limits
Third- tripod clown and the muzzle loader
Fourth-got married lost hunt privlages, decide to get wife involved in hunting, she claimed all favorite guns as hers.
Fifth-legand of Nic'em and rise of the Big Deal
Sixth- clown gets new sectional
Seventh- big deal blows it again
Eight- Mini me clown takes all clowns money
Nine- big deal returns...to be continued

These are comic books correct?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: stxranchman] #4484388 08/16/13 02:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I could fill chapters and books full of hunting stories.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: stxranchman] #4484445 08/16/13 02:40 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

With pictures too!!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: stxranchman] #4484470 08/16/13 02:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

there is something to say for llloooonnnnggggevity cheers

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: jshouse] #4486583 08/17/13 03:30 AM
T
TxCase73 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Would download.

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: TxCase73] #4486725 08/17/13 05:12 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Maybe an over the hill guy could tell you a few stories to include. Not just Texas, but in the Heartland as well, to the likes of Kentucky and Ohio. Those great lands separated by the Spaylaywitheepi, sacred to the Shawnee Nation.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: Halfadozen] #4488531 08/18/13 02:18 AM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Hung Over Hunters..in the blind by 5..asleep by 5:15..waking up at 9 back to camp.."I didnt see much this AM"

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts [Re: n-all] #4488779 08/18/13 03:45 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I got stories, how many words you talking per story? Not really a writer but I write a lot of stuff down.

Re: Hunting stories - book ideas in the works - BEST of THF Hunts? [Re: cmc] #4492402 08/19/13 05:41 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
stxranchman - I had hopes that I could draw some stories from you! smile

Halfadozen - yeah, that would be great...it doesn't have to be Texas only - I just had the idea of a starting point of speaking with hunters here on THF.

cmc - No minimum really - just whatever you feel would get the story told.

If anyone has some stories that they'd like for me to read and consider, please feel free to email them to me: george@haveyouthought.com

I was thinking about doing this as an eBook and having it be free to download. The other thought was if there was a cost (something small, like $1-2) all money would go to a charity for something involving sponsoring youth hunts...for kids that might have special needs, or for some reason might not normally have the opportunity to go on hunts or hunting workshops. I know there are some charities/scholarships for things of this nature - anybody familiar with any that they would recommend?

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide