Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Navasot] #4434945 07/31/13 04:11 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I carried my 30-06 into my trailer with a round in the barrel. I thought it will be okay as I am alone. Later when I decided to go home I started to unload the rifle. Even though it was on safety, the gun fired as I lifted the bolt, I had not touched the safety. I am still not really over that happening. It was one of the older Remington model 700 rifles which have been known to do this. On the way home I dropped the rifle off at a gunsmith and had the safety reworked. I knew better.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4435614 07/31/13 02:24 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have found that it's not a good idea to unhook the trailer before you unload the 4wheelers. hammer

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: TX_Huntress] #4435758 07/31/13 03:16 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Im working on a post about my Stupid Stunt. Pics included should be posted in about a week!!!

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4435838 07/31/13 03:38 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Tractors can be dangerous as all get out. Nav do you wear the seatbelt all the time? What about the risk of a turnover and not being able to jump off? My PTO stops if you're not in the seat.

Just curious...

Depends on the tractor, or its age I guess. Both of my JD's will cut the power if you stand up and take weight off the seat, but my '53 NAA which I use is quite happy to bush hog you if you fall off, then run cross country 'till it runs outta gas.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Choctaw] #4436125 07/31/13 05:07 PM
J
Junior Samples Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have also fallen short with neglect to the rules of safety. In my early teens,I was clearing the chamber (12 ga.)before leaving for the lease, parents in the truck idling & did not realize one was in the tube mag.. pulled the bolt back, closed it, pulled the trigger & bam. tore up the floor. Parents rushed in to see me frozen, for the fear of punishment that would be due. Dad said, after inspecting the t.v.,"He aimed in a safe direction". Did it the next year too at the lease (rifle). Blew a whole in the roof of the camp house. They moved my stuff into that room for the rest of the lease. No one was hurt during the reinactment of this story. Lookin up when I say that.Ha!
js

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Junior Samples] #4436277 07/31/13 05:59 PM
S
Spent Brass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Pops always took me and my brother hunting whenever he could. Before every hunt we went over the safety rules, the particular gun we would carry, watch your step, keep the gun pointed up, etc.

We had just got out of the truck to squirrel hunt and daddy is going on about watch your step...then he disappeared. He tripped over an old barbed wire fence out in the middle of 200 acres of oak trees, land we had hunted forever and never seen a fence. When he quit rolling he was at the bottom of a steep dry creekbed, saying "See what I told ya!!"

I was out with my BIL calling coyotes on his Gpa's land, all the livestock were supposed to be in corrals at the barn a couple hundred yards away. It's getting dark and a coyote jumps up on a half eaten hay bale 40 yards away. FYI, 12ga. 000 buckshot will go through said coyote, half eaten hay bale, and kill the donkey on the other side stone dead. That donkey was a fence jumper and had escaped the corral, Gpa tried to call us but the phones were in the truck.

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Spent Brass] #4439079 08/01/13 04:44 PM
H
hallfns Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
oops I made a mistake...

Last edited by hallfns; 08/01/13 04:45 PM.

piss.wezel@gmail.com
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: hallfns] #4450609 08/06/13 01:03 AM
P
Punkin Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
I drove from my parent's house to my house on Sunday with my Android tablet on top of my car. 8.5 miles, 65mph highway and dirt roads. I was getting back into my car at my house when I noticed. It rode the whole way.

You may remember last summer when I left one of my carry guns (sig P220) on top of my car--it fell off and I recovered it 3 or 4 hours later on the side of the highway. A little gunsmithing and it was fine...but I swore I'd stop setting stuff on top of the car while I was loading.

Lucky twice. Don't let it happen again!

Scott
---
www.sheepdogtees.com
Apparel for Heroes, and Those Who Love Them.
www.know-love.org
Living the love of Jesus, that others may know Him.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4452242 08/06/13 04:10 PM
C
Creek Henry Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Always look back after driving away from a camp site or any time you have loaded up your vehicle... checking the roof is also a must!

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Creek Henry] #4452252 08/06/13 04:13 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I wiped my eye right after messing with a pto on a tractor... had metal shavings and wd 40 all over my hands.... and now in my eye...

Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Navasot] #4464965 08/10/13 04:08 AM
P
Punkin Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Freshen up bump

Scott
---
www.sheepdogtees.com
Apparel for Heroes, and Those Who Love Them.
www.know-love.org
Living the love of Jesus, that others may know Him.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: Punkin] #4465097 08/10/13 05:11 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't know what to start selling tomorrow, tractors, 4 wheelers or guns. Since no one has mentioned chain saws then I will not talk about them.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: blackcoal] #4465843 08/10/13 05:09 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Went on a fraternity's brother ranch out near Post, TX when I was in school out at Tech for a big dove hunt. Later that evening we were getting setup to have a big party out there and started cleaning birds and getting them ready to cook while we were waiting on the girls from lubbock. There wasn't any buildings on this ranch so we just had tents and trucks, etc to set up with.

Well we'd been having several coldies while prepping those birds (bacon, jalapenos, etc) and a little ways into it I needed to break the seal. Well I didn't think too much about the jalapenos all over my hands until it was too late. Won't do that again.

[Linked Image]
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: MDMORROW] #4469355 08/12/13 01:09 AM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Put a new scope on an old gun one time. Removing the old scope and I noticed one of the base screws had sheared. Not being any smarter at the time and in a hurry I figured no big deal, there was still 3 good ones to hold it together. Got it sighted in somehow but on the last evening of deer season missed the only decent buck I had seen 3 times standing broadside at 75 yes. Went to the range and it wasn't even on paper anymore.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: chalet] #4469449 08/12/13 01:44 AM
SCone Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Took the last shot with my M1 Garand at the range and the clip did not eject properly. Later at home, after a quick cleaning, I loaded up a clip and one-by-one ejected the rounds. The last time, I picked up the rounds but could not find one. Figured it had rolled under the couch and I get it later.

As I put the gun away, for some stupid reason, I snapped the trigger. Then I noticed the bolt didn't seem to be completely closed, so I racked the bolt once.... and the missing round ejected out onto the bed.

I have no idea how the clip had ejected yet the round had not. And if it had not been for the bolt not being closed, it could have been a nasty error.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: Stupid Mistake topic thoughts... [Re: SCone] #4471933 08/12/13 09:15 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Summer job in college was driving a dump truck in Ft Lauderdale port expansion project. Got stuck driving in to the dump spot, and after a bit the bulldozer operator says to just drop it there and he'll move it. I raise the dump bed, and for a couple seconds nothing happens. All of a sudden the front end of the truck lifts off the ground about 6', and I snatch at the tailgate release. After that, the mud flowed out as normal, and the front end dropped down and bounced several times. Turns out I also forgot to spool up the net that covers the top of the bed. The net mechanism was tore off, and the tailgate bent enough they had to replace it. Much to my surprise, they actually let me finish the week out before firing me. If the job is so boring you can't remember to do the basic steps, you shouldn't take the job.

Don't cut up peppers, then rub your eyes, or other sensitive portions of your body.

When on a date early in a relationship, I told the gal that she was exactly the type my roommate was looking for. Twice. It made her think that a) she wasn't my type (not true), and b) I was a clueless individual with no social graces (pretty much true at that time). We did keep dating for a year, and are still friends, even though now married to different people.

Do not drive out to watch a controlled burn, then high-center your truck on a sandbar in the middle of the low water crossing between the burn and where all the firefighting equipment is located. Thankfully nothing was needed that day.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide