Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: bassackwards dav] #442680 10/08/08 02:03 AM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
It's really potentially dangerous. If it is where are the bodies?

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442681 10/08/08 02:37 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
The bodies have all been eaten, bones and all.......

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442682 10/08/08 03:28 AM
D
Double_Drop_Tines Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
It seems you speak more from the hip than from experience. I grew up in the country. I was a member of the local FFA chapter, and my family raised swine/bovine/and poultry for breeding and eating. I can assure you, from MY experience, even farm raised swine can and will attack humans, without being provoked, especially if a sow has had a litter of pigs.

They can and will eat anything if they get hungry enough. Flesh and bone included. Once they have reverted back to a wild state, they are even more aggressive/protective towards their young and are definately territorial. There have been several accounts of attacks that have circulated in the farming communities, but may not have made headlines in the local news papers.

If you would like to investigate my statements, please feel free to visit a farm that raises swine, and interview some farmers that actually have experience in handling pigs. I believe you will come away with a new outlook and respect for these animals.

Hunting is more to me than Antlers on the wall. It's more about the memories you make, and sharing those memories with friends, and family.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #442683 10/08/08 04:08 PM
H
Hablue65 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Has it ever occurred to anyone that there is not anything out there in the dark that is not there when it is daylight.

Maybe it is just me and the experiences I had most of my life but it has never cause me any great concern to be in the woods at night. I grew up chasing coondogs and I spent more time in the woods at dark than I did in the daylight. I have coonhunted all over the southern U.S. in places I was not too familiar with and never had concern of getting injured or marred by some animal that was out there. My bigger concern was getting lost in area that I didn't know very well. In a competition coon hunt if your dog gets separated from the pack you have 2 choices leave it until morning or go find it. A good coondog can cost several thousand dollars and I never felt comfortable leaving it in the woods, so I chose to go find it. Most of the time that meant being by yourself to find your dog. Besides that I hunted the majority of the time by myself when I wasn't in a competition hunt. Hunting my dog alone made it a better hunter because it couldn't depend on another dog to help run the track and it made the dog more confident of having the meat when it treed.

The only other thing that ever crossed my mind was snakes. That usually near a big creek or river bottom due to cottonmouths or timber rattlers.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Hablue65] #442684 10/08/08 04:21 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
well if you guys cant handle it just let me know and i will send my oldest son of eight years to walk with yall....... geez guys...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: texasd] #442685 10/08/08 06:16 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
That pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442686 10/08/08 06:39 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Sorry not all of us are as macho as others.....you don't have to be smart alleck just because we are being honest, geez guys.
Peace out y'all....

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Hablue65] #442687 10/08/08 07:05 PM
D
drdavidovich Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Quote:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that there is not anything out there in the dark that is not there when it is daylight.

Yes, the problem is you can't see it!
Put me down in the definitely nervous category.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Curly] #442688 10/08/08 07:05 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Besides and excuse me for this but what the hell does it matter to anyone if someone scared (a little or a lot) going to his or her blind....does that affect anyone else in any way? I can't think of how it would. I think the originator was wanting folks who like him to chime in, not folks to chime in to pick on, ridicule or make fun of others. I'll probably catch it now........

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Curly] #442689 10/08/08 08:41 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
no im not gonna throw any thing your way curly..... but come on theres nothing thats gonna get u in the dark... except a cat claw or catus... but then again thats probly cause i was raised in the country and not in the city.... i mean we use to play out in the pastures and brush till all hours of the nite..... just as my boys and me do now...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442690 10/09/08 01:16 AM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Dangerous and deadly are two different things . I cant say I ever herd of anyone killed by a wild pig. But I would say odds are it has happened.My personal experiences with them would suggest that if I didnt jump over a chargeing sow after shooting a pig that odds are I would have been hog cut.And I have seen big boars charge that were not provoked.I have said it before that the more time spent in the wild the greater your chances of witnessing the unexpected from wildlife.Your right in some of your other posts that these animals are sometime provoked but that defence mechanism goes both ways.Fight or flight. When animals fear they either fight or flight.The reaction to shoot a animal that has made the decision to fight is simply mans reaction to the same.

bassackwards dav
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #442691 10/09/08 01:37 AM
H
huntnfishtx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Quote:

Yep according to the USDA, feral pigs if left alone are not dangerous. Like I said they're not even on the radar for human deaths. Not one. Imagine. Honey bees are more dangerous and kill more people. Pigs kill none, even with people hunting them.

Somebody needs to go back and whatch ol'yeller again...

They don't put the word "eat" in "meat" for nothin you hippie
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: huntnfishtx] #442692 10/09/08 11:27 AM
S
Savage Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Quote:

Quote:

Yep according to the USDA, feral pigs if left alone are not dangerous. Like I said they're not even on the radar for human deaths. Not one. Imagine. Honey bees are more dangerous and kill more people. Pigs kill none, even with people hunting them.

Somebody needs to go back and whatch ol'yeller again...

He/She cannot watch ole' Yeller, it is a travesty against their moral boundaries, there were depictions of animals being hurt/killed in that movie...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Savage] #442693 10/09/08 12:46 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Those were javis in old yeller, not hogs.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: dawaba] #442694 10/10/08 01:59 AM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
That's why I use claymore mines

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: dawaba] #442695 10/13/08 08:05 AM
J
jigfish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
oh ya, Custard had guns and got scalped. I get the willies to. You seem to walk a little faster.

Thanks, Jigfish

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!!!
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: jigfish] #913131 09/18/09 06:40 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I know the topic is a little old but I stumbled across this while doing a search for something totally different and got hooked on these stories.
I have two, they take place in the stand not walkng to it.

Anyhow, story #1.
It was the first hunt of the year and we hadn't cleared out a path to the blind we built earlier that year. It was made of three pallets surounding a big pecan tree to lean back against with it open behind you. Any who, I get in there and get all settled in, hang my bow up, etc... While doingthis I noticed something has been making this blind it's cozy little home. And this something was a pretty big critter too. So sitting in the dark I'm trying to think what all critters are out there that big that would make a home out of my blind. Pig, badger, lion, who knows. All I knew at that point is I was getting myself all worked up and didn't want to find out. When at that same instant I start hearing this "something" rustling through the woods heading my way. Everything got quiet, the wind died, crickets stopped chirping, all I could hear is this loud thumping (my heart of course) and the critter heading my way.
I'm pretty nervous at this point just imaging this thing is going to be pissed when it finds me in it's home and all hell is going to break loose. Then all of a sudden the sound stops about 30ft away it sounded. I wait and wait, nothing makes a sound while waiting I'm quietly digging in my pack beside my feet for my flashlight, turn it on and lo and behold the biggest danged coon I've ever seen in my life was 3ft from me starring me down. I just knew there was going to be a blood bath to follow. I've heard how 10lb coons could kill dogs and such . So I'm very slowly reaching for my buck knife in my pocket to get ready to get this show going, open it and just sit there waiting for the devilish looking critter to attack. It just stands there starring me down as if we were in a western waiting for the other to draw.... Neither did, he just slipped away never turning his head from me and starring in my eyes with a look on his face saying. Go ahead, make my day punk.

2nd story is a bit more freaky, to me anyways.
Same blind. About 2 weeks or so later.
Anyhow, we still haven't cleared out a trail so I can hear anything walking around coinsidently. It was one of those mornings where you just feel really comfortable and you decide to nod off a bit. And so I did. When all of a sudden I am jarred awake and the first thing I know is that I'm being watched. And I'm not speaking of a squirrel, bird or rabbit is watching you or even a deer for that matter. I'm talking about something big, fierce, you can be killed and eaten by this thing. And it's close enough it can attack and kill you at an instant kind of feelings.
And let me say, when I'm in the blind I'm a pretty light sleeper, Im like white on rice if I hear a bird move in the brush 50ft away. So how as to this big creature got this close to me without me hearing it, I have no idea.
Anyhow I'm nervous as all get out, sick to my stomach, the whole 9 yards. I decide like with the coon I'm going to pull my knife and get ready to throw down on this monster. I'm slowly pulling my knife out with my right hand which the critter can't see from where I'm thinking it's at. At the same time I'm ever so slowly turning my head to the left so as not to trigger a responce from it. I'm thinking this thing is right behind the tree I'm leaning up against, so I get my head turned around and am struggling to see out of the corner of my eyes when this object just appears right in front of me. It was my uncle! I looked right over him all camo'd up trying to see back behind me it's like he just jumped out at me. Scared me so much I feel halfway out of my chair and was panting like a dog while he had the decency to laugh histarically at me.
How a big guy like himself ever snuck up on me without me hearing him I'll never know. He claims he's just good at being stealthy....

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: RandallW20] #913204 09/18/09 12:11 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Now that's dangerous, right there, sneaking up in the dark on an armed hunter!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: postoak] #913217 09/18/09 12:24 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
last season i got settled into my blind and could hear soemthing walking closer to the blind. freaked me out so bad i just sat there staring at the floor until first light. heard it walk up but never walk off, so i looked around and saw nothing. but when the hunt was over i got out of the blind and about 10 foot behind the blind was a dead deer that wasnt there before......yikes.....

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: SOMMERTIME] #913491 09/18/09 02:59 PM
H
Hawgg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: SOMMERTIME
Them damn quail get me everytime!!! My wife insisted on me getting a RZR so we could race to the stand...

Does you wife have a sister by chance??

Had a bear follow me to my climber once. We were in the Ouachita mountains. I made it to my climber and she was still huffing at me. When the sun came up she was at the bottom of my tree sniffing and looking up. This was during early black powder, made a heck of a nice rug.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Hawgg] #913710 09/18/09 04:20 PM
T
Texas_Jeff Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Mostly spiders are what gets me! Nothing worse than being half asleep in the blind and feel something wiggling in your collar of your shirt!

If you can't fix stupid, lets at least exterminate it.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Texas_Jeff] #913772 09/18/09 04:47 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Never told this story cause I don't even believe it myself. But it happened. Got into my blind early one morning, was one of those cold mornings, when your breath hangs in the air like a cloud. Anyway, I get settled in, listening, just waiting, going through my mental list of everything. After a bit, I start getting a faint smell of something. Then I hear what seems like crunching leaves. It is off to my left, so I am straining to see, can't. Then I hear it more right in front of me. Few minutes later it is behind me, then back to the left. It is circling my position. The smell is stronger now. A musky smell, I am thinking a pig, but can't imagine it circling. Never had one do that before. Then it stops and I can hear my hanging pipe feeder swing and rattle. In a few more minutes I can barely see the feeder and the big cedar it hangs under. There is nothing there, but the feeder is swinging. I just figure it has gone off. Then the feeder moves back toward the cedar tree, I still can't see anything there, then it swings out away from the tree. I get my bow up now, kinda nervous. Okay, I am really nervous. I can hear crunching, but can't see any animal. Then I see it, from around the tree comes a black arm, I would have never seen it in the shadows, except for the clear nails, I got a slight glint off its fingernails. It grabbed the pipe feeder, which is painted camo and pulled it to the cedar tree, another hand reached around and grabbed a handful of corn, then it put the feeder back, had just a little swing. I think I said oh my god out loud, cause I think it brushed a limb when it stood behind the tree. I could then hear it slipping away. It stayed completely behind the tree until it was deep into the brush then I heard it moving off at a good pace.

I sat there collecting myself waiting for very bright light. I got down and went to the tree, the back side of the tree reaked of musky smell. To this day I have never seen or heard anything else at that spot. I wonder if I dozed off in the tree and just had a crazy dream. I tell myself that is what happened. I know such doesn't exist. Right?

Proverbs 2
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Sniper.270] #913777 09/18/09 04:51 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Orn was tresspassing again!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Txduckman] #913809 09/18/09 05:11 PM
C
CFR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
This is a great post! Lots of entertaining reading....I'll share a couple of mine.

1st story
I started bowhunting in my early twenties. I had little clue what I was doing, but was invited on a hunt in a Florida swamp with some friends. I was led out into the swamp to a ladder chained to a tree with a lock on stand at the top. Prior to getting to the woods, some of the other hunters had been talking about a hairy experience one of them had with a bear climbing the tree they had been in. I had thought it was a funny story.

Twenty minutes or so after my friend had left me in my stand, it was still 30 minutes or so before I would be able to see to shoot. I hear something moving below me in the darkness. I circles my tree and the next thing I hear is claws on bark. I am about to crap myself, as I really did not feel competent with the bow at that time, and I could not even see what was coming to get me.

I kept straining my eyes to see what was coming up the tree, and started laughing when I finally saw it was a possumm!

Story 2
Several years ago I had access to a piece of property bordering a swamp. There were quite a few deer and plenty of hogs. That particular year, I was hunting with a Remington 1100 12 guage with a rifled slug barrel. I'm not a very jumpy person in the woods, and but just about anyone would feel safe with that kind of firepower.

One evening on the hike back to the truck, I had this very eerie feeling that something was watching me. I figured it was just a big hog or something like that and paid it little attention. I didn't get that feeling every time I hunted there, but it did happen a couple more evenings, and I really did not like the feeling. About a week later, another hunter on the property showed me pics from his trail camera of a black bear in the 500 lb range....makes me wonder if that was what was watching me!

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: CFR] #913916 09/18/09 06:02 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have had a couple of those moments.
Two years ago we had a blind that was within walking distance of camp. I started heading to the blind one morning 45 min. before daylight. I had to walk down a steep winding road, cross a creek then up a steep hill. When I get to the bottom of the first hill I parallel the creek for about 40 yards before I cross the creek.
It is really dark in the creek bottom that time of the morning and just as I get beside a big oak tree......about 10 turkeys come off the roost and I just about did a double back flip. I thought I was being attacked by a condor.

Another dark moonless morning I was going to a blind where we drive the ATV about 80 yards down a creek bottom, park and climb a ladder to get out of the steep sides of the creek. For some reason I didn't have my side arm that morning. I shut the ATV down, step off and now it is so dark I can't see my hand in front of my fact, my flashlight is still in my backpack and my deer rifle is still in the Kolpin gun boot when a pack of coyotes go off and they sound like they are 50 yards down the creek bottom. That added a gray hair or two.

TB

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide