Print Thread
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: rifleman] #4422116 07/26/13 07:32 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Tyler County was a 2 buck/2 doe County before AR's and I think they could have improved the age structure by just lowering bag limits to 1 buck/1 doe instead of AR blanket rule!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Seadog] #4422195 07/26/13 11:27 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I dont give a rats pututy about horns but i do about the numbers! Deer were abundant before AR with a few nice bucks around and lots of small 4pts and 6pts and lots of does. Im all for AR and getting bigger bucks but since TPW had to stick in the spike tage and the 2 doe tags they did nothing in my area than contribute the down fall of the herd. To many deer are being taken period. I have shot 3 deer in the 5 or 6yrs that AR has been in play and the numbers of deer go down every year. You cant make your neighbor stop killing deer if TPW says they can legally do it! The ONLY way is to limit the tags they can use. All me and seadog and the others want is to increase the numbers of deer we see and stop killing off the young spikes and all the does that will have the next generation of bucks and does. Believe it or not we want the same as u pro AR guys except it aint working in our areas and we think we can fix it by lowering the amount of deer that be taken in our countys. We have said it many times before; IF ITS WORKING FOR YOU THATS GREAT BUT IT AINT WORKING FOR US! All we want to do is fix it for us and have the same chance at some big bucks that yall have .

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Hoytman] #4422441 07/26/13 01:39 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Several people in this thread have already said they work great in our Counties even though they don't live nor hunt in said County. I wonder what kind of magic they used to determine this? On one hand you have people that hunt in the County saying they don't work and on the other hand you have people that don't live or hunt there saying they work great. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who knows what they're talking about. The problem is they act just like my little sister used to when we were kids. When she realized she was wrong in an argument she would avoid all questions from then on and keep saying the same thing over and over in hopes that I would just go away. AR's suck where I hunt and are doing damage. That's a fact, not a theory like the pro AR guys have about it.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Seadog] #4422531 07/26/13 02:17 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Seadog
Tyler County was a 2 buck/2 doe County before AR's and I think they could have improved the age structure by just lowering bag limits to 1 buck/1 doe instead of AR blanket rule!!!

They could have left things alone and it would have been fine. There's a reason the majority of that county didn't need restocking and a lot has to do with ppl not being able to shoot what they can't see bc the woods are too thick for the dog hunters to even shoot them out.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: rifleman] #4422556 07/26/13 02:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My neighbor ain't gonna manage squat no matter what. Neither are most "neighbors". smile So, ARs at least make them leave the forkies and little 6s and 8s alone so they can grow.

Like I say y'all may be right on the spike overharvest and narrow rack selection arguments in some areas. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on those because I just haven't seen it. I have read several reputable studies that say it's virtually impossible to change gene pool structure in native deer herds so that augers against those scenarios.

If ARs keep the shoot em all crowd from killing the young bucks and those who want more intense/precise management go MLD that seems like a win-win to me. Like I say, I just know what I see on my place and the positives I hear about ARs.

My gut tells me in areas that have problems ARs are easy to blame when more likely than not other factors are at play.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422619 07/26/13 02:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Several people in this thread have already said they work great in our Counties even though they don't live nor hunt in said County. I wonder what kind of magic they used to determine this? On one hand you have people that hunt in the County saying they don't work and on the other hand you have people that don't live or hunt there saying they work great. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who knows what they're talking about. The problem is they act just like my little sister used to when we were kids. When she realized she was wrong in an argument she would avoid all questions from then on and keep saying the same thing over and over in hopes that I would just go away. AR's suck where I hunt and are doing damage. That's a fact, not a theory like the pro AR guys have about it.

Like I said I don't have studies or figures but neither do you. I have stated my thoughts. I grew up in east TX, have hunted there for 40 plus years, and have owned 400 acres there going on 10 years now.I talk to people and hear what they say. They work great in my area and others say the same.Those things are not "theories" or "magic".That's about all I can do or know short of being a wildlife biologist.

You accuse people of ill motives, stupidity, immaturity, etc. Yet from what I have seen you are the first to resort to name calling and insults. You always just come down to "I am right and you are an idiot". That's not an argument it's just pounding your fist on the table.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/26/13 02:58 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4422651 07/26/13 02:56 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
You're right it's not a theory. It's hearsay. What name have I called you? You don't know your arse from your elbow when it comes to where I hunt but you're the first one to jump in and say how great ARs are here. You avoid any and all questions and spew second hand knowledge. I did call you selfish because I believe you are. I offered up a plan that would only benefit kids and seniors and you still said no. I guess I should not expect better from people. Especially ones that voted a regulation into place and didn't even know the very regulation that is supposed to allow bucks to age instead allows 2 yearling bucks to be killed. If I voted blindly for a regulation that contradicts itself at every turn I suppose I might defend it blindly also.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422688 07/26/13 03:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
"Selfish." "Screw loose." "Don't know your arse from your elbow."

Basically anyone who disagrees with you is to be ignored, their experiences summarily dismissed, and insulted.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4422690 07/26/13 03:08 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Too many hoops to jump through on MLD and quite a few folks would rather not have to deal with a gov agency just to hunt. FWIW, the last MLD lease I was on still allowed a kid's first buck to be anything they wanted it to be.

Since you bring up the whole can't change genetics, then why the need for the spike tag as a means to cull when it is deemed the buck numbers are already low. I see a lot more of them spike tags getting used once doe days are over...off hand I can think of 6 ppl who killed spikes off your neighbors place.

Will ARs protect a percentage of bucks...sure. Can it open the door to get twice as many shot...yep. Will there be some bucks that never get shot...yep. Will there be yearlings shot...yep. Do ppl now have more opportunity to kill deer that are in trouble with extra seasons..yep (though I won't complain about the additional youth opportunities...I'd give them all archery season & month of Jan if I could).

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422692 07/26/13 03:09 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Here's a scenario for you

You are the boss of an electrician crew and you need to hire another electrician.

1st applicant is an electrician and has been doing electrical work for 30 years.

2nd applicant has a friend who is an electrician and he also reads about electrical work sometimes.

Who would you hire?

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4422701 07/26/13 03:11 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Basically anyone who disagrees with you is to be ignored, their experiences summarily dismissed, and insulted.

No sir, just anyone that disagrees with me about hunting at a place they have never laid eyes on. If the shoe fits....

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422719 07/26/13 03:16 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
aint life fun?

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: jshouse] #4422734 07/26/13 03:20 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: jshouse
aint life fun?

If I were you I'd be trying to rope that buck so you can tie him to a tree grin

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422748 07/26/13 03:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

No sir, just anyone that disagrees with me about hunting at a place they have never laid eyes on. If the shoe fits....

The shoe has never fit. If you actually read what is there instead of reacting to want you think is there I have never challenged what you say about conditions at your own place. In fact, I have accepted what you say as true.My discussions have regarded ARs generally and Rusk county as a whole. In fact, a quick check of the TBG awards shows Rusk county to be well represented. Again, I see and get texted pics of big deer from Rusk county every year. None of that is "magic". It is fact.

Now, I have surmised that my belief is that many of the problems many see on their own places could be due to other factors, but each time I have done so have noted it as surmising (albeit based on the reasons I have given).

Unlike you, I have never stated I have all the answers. But at least I engage in reasonable discussion.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: rifleman] #4422751 07/26/13 03:25 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i thought about going to little eastfield juco up the hwy and trying to buy a couple roofie's to put in the chum pile the night before opening morning, then just hope he dont make it over the fence....

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422765 07/26/13 03:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

You are the boss of an electrician crew and you need to hire another electrician.

1st applicant is an electrician and has been doing electrical work for 30 years.

2nd applicant has a friend who is an electrician and he also reads about electrical work sometimes.

Who would you hire?

If your reading comprehension were better you would see my background puts me in the "1st Applicant" category. But you only see what you want to see.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: jshouse] #4422768 07/26/13 03:31 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
i thought about going to little eastfield juco up the hwy and trying to buy a couple roofie's to put in the chum pile the night before opening morning, then just hope he dont make it over the fence....

I'm hanging polident over a cpl scrapes.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: rifleman] #4422789 07/26/13 03:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Too many hoops to jump through on MLD and quite a few folks would rather not have to deal with a gov agency just to hunt. FWIW, the last MLD lease I was on still allowed a kid's first buck to be anything they wanted it to be.

Since you bring up the whole can't change genetics, then why the need for the spike tag as a means to cull when it is deemed the buck numbers are already low. I see a lot more of them spike tags getting used once doe days are over...off hand I can think of 6 ppl who killed spikes off your neighbors place.

Will ARs protect a percentage of bucks...sure. Can it open the door to get twice as many shot...yep. Will there be some bucks that never get shot...yep. Will there be yearlings shot...yep. Do ppl now have more opportunity to kill deer that are in trouble with extra seasons..yep (though I won't complain about the additional youth opportunities...I'd give them all archery season & month of Jan if I could).

A lot there. Again, the spike tag was a sop to the meat boys. I don't see it abused. Heck, there is a raging debate among the best deer men in the state about the need to shoot spikes anyway. The whole "spike tag abuse" deal is a tempest in a teapot IMO. I get opinions differ.

The only fenceline neighbor I have is a 40 acre scope of woods that is lightly hunted anyway so I don't know your reference there. If it is Boggy they are doing something right. Heck, whoever it is more power to 'em because my place is doing great-maybe goes to show spike killing is the way to go. smile

Edit: Maybe you're talking about the NF? My biggest "neighbor"....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/26/13 03:42 PM.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4422816 07/26/13 03:48 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Who would you hire?

If your reading comprehension were better you would see my background puts me in the "1st Applicant" category. But you only see what you want to see.

Really? So how many deer per sit did you average seeing in rusk county per ARs? How many do you see per sit in rusk county after ARs? I'm not talking about your buddies, you.

You say there could be a problem on my lease but ARs are not the cause. Nothing else has changed. That would lead a reasonable person to the conclusion that ARs are the problem. Take a 1 deer county to a 4 deer county and expect the numbers to stay up when they were mediocre to start with? Brilliant!

If you really want to debate this I would make it very easy on you. I could ask one question at a time and you answer it. Then you ask me one question at a time and I'll answer it. You want to? I highly doubt you do because you don't answer any questions about it. You only skirt around it and pretend to know it all. So, you want to debate one question and answer at a time? You can start or I will?

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: BowSlayer] #4422831 07/26/13 03:54 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i'll go....emmitt or barry?

Last edited by jshouse; 07/26/13 03:55 PM.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: RUM Mann] #4422895 07/26/13 04:13 PM
B
Bud1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I hunt East Texas, and I didn't see a buck last season. OK, I did see one spike and a lot of does. This is in reality because a neighbor decided to cut timber off his property....which started a week before deer season! Seriously!!
A lot of the hunters in my area are still in the old way of "if its brown, its down" way of thinking.
IMO, trail cams do more for taking mature bucks, if you see one on camera, I think your more likely to let smaller bucks pass in fear of maybe spooking the one your hunting.
I took what I thought at the moment to be a nice 8pt a couple of years ago. To my dismay, it did have ground shrinkage, and when measured it was legal...but barely! lol
With that said, I have camera's now, and I KNOW what bucks are in the area! It will be a big advantage when decision time comes this year for sure!!

Born and Raised Texan / Veteran USN 86-92 / Former Duddle Bugger
Gain respect, by showing some
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4422965 07/26/13 04:33 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman

A lot there. Again, the spike tag was a sop to the meat boys. I don't see it abused. Heck, there is a raging debate among the best deer men in the state about the need to shoot spikes anyway. The whole "spike tag abuse" deal is a tempest in a teapot IMO. I get opinions differ.

The only fenceline neighbor I have is a 40 acre scope of woods that is lightly hunted anyway so I don't know your reference there. If it is Boggy they are doing something right. Heck, whoever it is more power to 'em because my place is doing great-maybe goes to show spike killing is the way to go. smile

Edit: Maybe you're talking about the NF? My biggest "neighbor"....

Was talking about NF....there really is no debating spike killing if the topic is carrying buck numbers over, after all, there's a structure health problem, not a gene problem being addressed. And you have to assume people will use those spike tags b/c it's a buck that can be shot and people will shoot the first one they see...just like they shot the first one they saw pre-ARs.whistle If there was no cultural change in hunting that would have fixed the "problem" on its on them how in the world could AR win in the popular vote. grin

Cams over the years have shown there were plenty of older bucks, you just rarely saw them. Ppl not running cams would just assume there were no bucks.

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: jshouse] #4422966 07/26/13 04:33 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
rifle deer nuts

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Erathkid] #4422968 07/26/13 04:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Can you beat a "Dead Horse" to death that doesn't meet ARs?

Re: Antler restrictions are the best [Re: Bud1] #4422971 07/26/13 04:36 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Bud1
I hunt East Texas, and I didn't see a buck last season. OK, I did see one spike and a lot of does. This is in reality because a neighbor decided to cut timber off his property....which started a week before deer season! Seriously!!
A lot of the hunters in my area are still in the old way of "if its brown, its down" way of thinking.
IMO, trail cams do more for taking mature bucks, if you see one on camera, I think your more likely to let smaller bucks pass in fear of maybe spooking the one your hunting.
I took what I thought at the moment to be a nice 8pt a couple of years ago. To my dismay, it did have ground shrinkage, and when measured it was legal...but barely! lol
With that said, I have camera's now, and I KNOW what bucks are in the area! It will be a big advantage when decision time comes this year for sure!!

on the bright side, if the neighbor lets that clearcut do its thing, in 2 years it'll provide good bedding cover and browse.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide