Print Thread
Thank you gift #42894 11/23/05 08:02 PM
L
Littlemac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Here is the situation. I want to get my friend a nice thank you hunting gift for letting me go with him to hunt on a ranch that he hunts on. The ranch owner is a good friend of his.

Anyhow I was thinking some latex gloves(for cleaning all the deer next year) and beano(gas - self explanatory) as gag gifts but I want to get him something serious as well.

I am looking to keep the gift under $30 bucks but I think the key is thoughtfulness not $$$. So I tried to put myself in his situation, he has a lot of money and pretty much has everything or can easily purchase whatever he wants. I on the other hand cannot. So I was thinking a Plano ammo box with some shells? Or is that too boring and not that thoughtful?

Thanks everyone and have a great T-Day.

Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42895 11/23/05 09:16 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Littlemac - I have done the same thing when obtaining trapping/hunting permission each year.

- good pocket knife (can't ever have too many)
- blind warmer/hand warmer
- block & tackle skinning gambrel
- Lansky sharpening system

This is just to name a few that I have given

Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to the forum

Chris

Re: Thank you gift [Re: kyotee1] #42896 11/23/05 09:39 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I know my favorite gift I ever got as a thank you was a bottle of Crown Royal with my initials embroidered on the bag. It would run you about $50 with the initials embroidered. But if he likes Crown it's a great gift.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Thank you gift [Re: Ox190] #42897 11/23/05 10:14 PM
H
heeeerod Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Dang!! Sounds like yall might need to cozy up to the campfire...c'mon..it's the 21rst century...lol. Seiously, though...I know the problem all too well...I got a cuz that is loaded...wanted to get him something for taking me on a pretty darn nice hunt once...and I got me a pretty good ideer...The National Audubon Society puts out some really nice field guides. I got a pile ofem...They have color pictures instead of illustrations and they are layed out in a very easy to use format. The one I use the most is the one on trees...I mean cmon...how many times have you been wondering through the woods and wondered about a particular tree you couldn't quite name? I also have the one for insects, birds, reptiles and amphibians this list goes on, but you get the idea. They seem kinda square at first, but I just can't tell you how many times I have referenced these books, for myself as well as friends...makes you look all smart and booky too...lol. They can all be had for under 30 bucks(bout 20 I think) and they are very classy looking kinda leatherette bound...not really a paperback so you can tossem in a pack when you need to. Just a suggestion for something a little different. You can get a look at them on Amazon.com or just about any good book store site. I think my wife bought me one at Barnes and Noble once. Hope that helps!

Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?...Pink Floyd...Wish You Were Here
Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42898 11/23/05 11:07 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
First off, WELCOME to The Forum.

You are getting some pretty good advice, but just to put a slightly different spin on things, I like the idea of the alcohol, so far this deer season, I haven't had to buy very much Heineken for myself. Also look at it from this standpoint, if this guy can buy anything he wants or needs, give him something that he can really use. A Gift Certificate to a nice restaraunt, or to Bass Pro or Cabela's, or to a home improvement place like Lowe's or Home Depot. There are many things you can give to show you Thanks, but just remember, at this time of the year, all orts of people will be giving things that he will never use. He will appreciate them, but, and not meaning to step on someones toes, he probably already has knives stuck in drawers and places that he may not even be able to remember who gave them to him.
A gift certificate is something that he will use. JMO

Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42899 11/24/05 12:50 AM
J
JoeDogg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
A gift you could get him is one of those deer teeth age guides that have the jaws on a plaque.

Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42900 11/27/05 06:45 PM
B
bonehunts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've done this quite a few times and I always get a call asking where I got the pics:
Go to any number of websites and determine who can give you the best aerial photograph of the place you hunted. Sometimes the county agent or tax office has good aerials. Get it printed and sent to you and put it in a barn wood frame. Cheap and meaningful.

Re: Thank you gift [Re: bonehunts] #42901 12/10/05 04:59 AM
A
ABolt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Heeeerod, I looked at the Tree Guide you mentioned and they are GREAT! I asked my wife to put it on my Xmas list and I plan on buying a few for some friends (so maybe they'll stay out of the orchard when they want firewood ). I think that is a very good choice of gift.

ABolt
Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42902 12/12/05 05:25 PM
B
Buck_N_Hook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
How about "The Incomplete Deer Hunter" if he likes Jeff Foxworthy

"People have more fun than anybody I know!!!"
Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42903 12/12/05 07:12 PM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I have given a years subscription to Twxas Parks and Wildlife magazine several times. Usually the people I give it to really like it and continue the subscription on their own. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Thank you gift [Re: Littlemac] #42904 12/13/05 01:45 PM
A
ak4blkbear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I would do some kind of knife. You can get a pretty decent knife for $30. If that doesn't suit your fancy, then you can always get him a fruit cake. I think Nature "boy" can get you a good deal on one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide