Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? #4227275 05/02/13 12:57 PM
riverdog Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Heading out Sunday on a solo trip with just my pup for company for 4 or 5 days of down time. There was a thread here a while back, but it seems to have scrolled off.

Ideas for a bite to eat and a couple of things to look at would be appreciated.

Last edited by riverdog; 05/02/13 12:58 PM.

Work hard, play hard, love without reserve....you can rest in heaven when the journey is over.
Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: riverdog] #4227293 05/02/13 01:05 PM
C
conifer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Check out the very friendly and charming Holland Hotel in Alpine....I didn't take a room....but enjoyed the lovely lobby and conversations with staff...plus the very graciously offered coffee. Also found a good donut shop on a side street behind the hotel. The town is worth exploring.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: conifer] #4227324 05/02/13 01:15 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
McDonald Observatory

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: skeeter22] #4229679 05/03/13 05:55 AM
F
FtWorthBobWillsFan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I went there and spent a weekend a few months ago... Loved it. The best food I found was at the Fort Davis Drug Store... they have a ribeye that was ranked very high by Texas Monthly and their burger is amazing.

I mostly drove around the whole time... that's what I enjoy doing... I drove all through the back roads. I did go to a Friday night star party at the mcdonald observatory and it was cool... time well spent. I stayed at the Best Western there in Alpine.

I also ate lunch at La Casita there in Alpine on Saturday that weekend and it was really good Mexican food... it's stuck back in a neighborhood fyi...

The market there in Fort Davis is like a little whole foods store.... that's a great community... Fort Davis. I would love to live there.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4229744 05/03/13 11:09 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
The Gage Hotel in Marathon is iconic and worth a stop to eat and browse. The loop through the Davis Mnts is one of the prettiest drives in Texas.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: dawaba] #4233767 05/05/13 01:27 PM
riverdog Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks to all for the information. Heading out shortly. I will definitely check out the stuff ya'll have mentioned.

Joe

Work hard, play hard, love without reserve....you can rest in heaven when the journey is over.
Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: riverdog] #4233772 05/05/13 01:30 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You'll have a great time. I spent a few days out there in March. I love Fort Davis.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: Paluxy300blk] #4234114 05/05/13 05:03 PM
F
Flat Cat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Great area your headed. Love it.

If you travel during the week Lunch at Mrs Allen's in Sweetwater is great, good and a lot of fun eating at family table & eating "Family Style". Was $8 a person last time I was there and it included drinks as well.

You might have to leave your little dog in the car but maybe not. It's just that kind of place.
https://plus.google.com/1152478031860479...gl=us&hl=en

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: Flat Cat] #4235132 05/06/13 02:50 AM
E
Eagle 1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Got my Masters at SRSU...used to eat at the Riata, it was great. Eek, this is post 666, Zombie time!

Last edited by Eagle 1; 05/06/13 02:51 AM.

JMc

This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...
Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: Eagle 1] #4239294 05/07/13 07:04 PM
D
davecat Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Starlight Theatre, Terlingua. Finger linkin good chicken fried antelope!

Take FM2810 from Marfa through Pinto Canyon to Chinati Hot Springs. Spend the night. Great fresh water pool and hot springs. 4WD recommended.

Star party at Observatory...awesome. They bring out 6 smaller scopes besides the 3 large ones on good nights. Book before showing up this time of year.

Big Bend NP. A nice hike followed by a dip in the hot springs.

Terlingua Ranch...cute cabins, restaurant, great pool.

Fort Davis Historic site....well worth a morning or afternoon.

Paisano Hotel in Marfa. Holland in Alpine. Both cool. Great places to stay on the cheap...Marathon Motel in Marathon (duh) and Antelope Lodge in Alpine.

Gage is nice, overpriced, but worth a meal. JP Bryan did a wonderful job restoring and reinvigorating Marathon.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: davecat] #4245203 05/09/13 10:59 PM
JD4030 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Reata in Alpine......

Custom hay cutting / baling, combining in Southern Dallas / Ellis county; please visit our website or send me a PM for pricing, etc: http://stewart-farms.net/

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: JD4030] #4245229 05/09/13 11:18 PM
riverdog Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks to all, just got back in and it was an excellent trip...just me and my mut.
Passed on Reata this time since I was solo and the wifey would have....we she would have, but I/we have eaten in the one in Alpine as well as Fort Worth.
In Fort Davis,
Eats,
Cueva De Leon - solid Mexican food albeit a different from Tex Mex.
Fort Davis Drug Store - great ribeye, excellent chopped steak and a good chicken fried steak.
Stayed - at Crow's Nest Ranch - cabins are basic with comfortable beds, clean with a modest kitchen. The owner's are 4th generation Fort Davis ranchers who have a small camp ground on the ranch. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to chat length with Roxa, what a treat not to mention a kind and gracious lady. They give "salt of the earth" a higher definition. 3 cabins, a few RV sites and some limited tent camping. 15 miles out of Fort Davis on the scenic loop with the camp group backing up to a mountain. Highly recommended if you are out that way and want peace and solitude, if you are looking for fluff and puff accommodations there are some nice places in Fort Davis.

Scenery....well worth the drive and then some.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: riverdog] #4253545 05/14/13 07:21 AM
F
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: riverdog
Thanks to all, just got back in and it was an excellent trip...just me and my mut.
Passed on Reata this time since I was solo and the wifey would have....we she would have, but I/we have eaten in the one in Alpine as well as Fort Worth.
In Fort Davis,
Eats,
Cueva De Leon - solid Mexican food albeit a different from Tex Mex.
Fort Davis Drug Store - great ribeye, excellent chopped steak and a good chicken fried steak.
Stayed - at Crow's Nest Ranch - cabins are basic with comfortable beds, clean with a modest kitchen. The owner's are 4th generation Fort Davis ranchers who have a small camp ground on the ranch. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to chat length with Roxa, what a treat not to mention a kind and gracious lady. They give "salt of the earth" a higher definition. 3 cabins, a few RV sites and some limited tent camping. 15 miles out of Fort Davis on the scenic loop with the camp group backing up to a mountain. Highly recommended if you are out that way and want peace and solitude, if you are looking for fluff and puff accommodations there are some nice places in Fort Davis.

Scenery....well worth the drive and then some.

Awesome man, thanks for taking time to write this.... I plan to go back soon!

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4253548 05/14/13 07:23 AM
F
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
hey riverdog, what do they charge to stay in those cabins?

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: FtWorthBobWillsFan] #4255619 05/15/13 01:31 AM
riverdog Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
$65.00 per night tax included, Roxa is picky, it is not about the money...she told me "I liked your voice on the phone and you seemed be good folks." Be nice, respectful let her know you are an outdoor person that will respect the land, and that you are not expecting bed and breakfast accommodations, but understand these are camping/fishing cabins.

Window unit gets the job done, no microwave, limited pots/pans/and dishes...she warns about the limited cooking stuff. Beds, pillows and linens comfortable and nice. Bring you own grill is the best bet for grilling, no microwave, nice coffee maker.

One room cabin, with separate bath w/ plenty of hot water, towels furnished...bring your own soap, 2 queen beds in the main room, a futon, 2 chairs, kitchen table with chairs...no TV yeah!!! good cell phone, no internet yeah.....You can hear yotes, doves and owls off and on in the evening...good hiking and you know the scenery.

FtWorth...if you want any more info let me know...I am headed back before too long.

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: riverdog] #4257338 05/15/13 08:15 PM
P
Palo Duro Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Mondos in marfa is good. spelling is probably wrong

Re: Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa Area? [Re: riverdog] #4258092 05/16/13 01:44 AM
F
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: riverdog
$65.00 per night tax included, Roxa is picky, it is not about the money...she told me "I liked your voice on the phone and you seemed be good folks." Be nice, respectful let her know you are an outdoor person that will respect the land, and that you are not expecting bed and breakfast accommodations, but understand these are camping/fishing cabins.

Window unit gets the job done, no microwave, limited pots/pans/and dishes...she warns about the limited cooking stuff. Beds, pillows and linens comfortable and nice. Bring you own grill is the best bet for grilling, no microwave, nice coffee maker.

One room cabin, with separate bath w/ plenty of hot water, towels furnished...bring your own soap, 2 queen beds in the main room, a futon, 2 chairs, kitchen table with chairs...no TV yeah!!! good cell phone, no internet yeah.....You can hear yotes, doves and owls off and on in the evening...good hiking and you know the scenery.

FtWorth...if you want any more info let me know...I am headed back before too long.

greatness, thanks man.... sounds perfect

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide