Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,432
Posts9,737,042
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns #4246111 05/10/13 01:19 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/d...cs-off-website/

Quote:
The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

Plans for the working handgun were posted online by Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed, potentially allowing anyone with access to a 3D printer to make a firearm from plastic. The plans, which had been in the works for months, caused alarm among gun control advocates but were seen by some Second Amendment advocates as a breakthrough. More than 100,000 copies of the plans were downloaded before the federal government took the files.

“[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

Wilson tells FoxNews.com that he decided to comply to a request by the Pentagon to take down the gun specs from his website while he weighs his legal options.

"They asked that I take it down while they determine if they have the authority to control the info," he said. "It's clearly a direct response to everything we did this week. 3D printing is clearly not the best way to make an effective weapon."

"Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”
- Defense Distributed website

Wilson says he has complied to most laws on the books and feels that the D.O.D.'s request may be more politically motivated.

"If this is an attempt to control the info from getting out there, it's clearly a weak one," he said, adding that the CAD design for the weapon has already spread across the Internet at downloading sites like the Pirate Bay.

Officials from the Department of Defense did not immediately return requests for comment.

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars. Fifteen of the components are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law. The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.

The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different caliber rounds.

Defense Distributed is a not-for-profit group founded by Wilson, a law student at the University of Texas. He said the Liberator project was intended to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.

"I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people," Wilson told Forbes. "That’s what it is -- it’s a gun. But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest."

His publishing of the printable blueprints online instantly sparked outrage in the U.S.

Using the file, anyone with access to a 3D printer could theoretically print the gun with no serial number, background check or other regulatory hurdles.

U.S. Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.

"Security checkpoints, background checks and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser," Israel said.

"When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction," he added. "Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms."

Last edited by That 1 GUy; 05/10/13 01:32 PM.
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: That 1 GUy] #4246570 05/10/13 04:26 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The first mistake was going public so fast and close to all the silliness going on currently in the "gun control" legislation arena.

That being said, let's watch how much over-reach our government is going to attempt. The scary statement here is (quote)-

"Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: tth_40] #4246870 05/10/13 06:14 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tth_40
The scary statement here is (quote)-

eggzactly....and yet it seems no one has an opinion on this...

Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: That 1 GUy] #4246989 05/10/13 07:00 PM
H
Hill Country Hunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Where is the ACLU on this? I guess in BHO's pocket.

Psalm 3:3 - But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: Hill Country Hunter] #4247130 05/10/13 07:59 PM
S
Squealteam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
The biggest terrorist network in the world, the US Gov and our hard earned tax dollars at work. It should be "until further notice, the people of the US claim control or the gov", not the other way around.

Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: Squealteam] #4247423 05/10/13 10:02 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
3D printers are expensive, I'm pretty sure criminals aren't going to spend the money to create a plastic gun.

[Linked Image]
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: DeRico] #4247579 05/10/13 11:19 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DeRico
3D printers are expensive, I'm pretty sure criminals aren't going to spend the money to create a plastic gun.

Your exactly right, they will much rather break in and steal a firearm, once again they are trying to ban something on purely the thought of what it could do. There are tons more deadly things in my garage or kitchen that don't have a serial number nor do I have to get a background check to purchase them, and they cost a hell of a lot less than a 3D printer.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: Beretta] #4247730 05/11/13 12:39 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686

Your exactly right, they will much rather break in and steal a firearm, once again they are trying to ban something on purely the thought of what it could do. There are tons more deadly things in my garage or kitchen that don't have a serial number nor do I have to get a background check to purchase them, and they cost a hell of a lot less than a 3D printer.

^^^this^^^

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4248107 05/11/13 03:43 AM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
They don't have the authority to do that. One of the paragraphs even says that they requested he take it down while they check to see if they can. By that they mean can we twist, stretch and spin an existing law to cover this in even the most minute way. I'm betting they are scratching through his trash, emails, phone calls, browser history, hard drives and everything else they can get their dirty hands on in order to pin something on this guy.

Last edited by Chris/HOU; 05/11/13 03:44 AM.
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: Chris/HOU] #4248163 05/11/13 04:13 AM
texretvet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yeah.......good luck to them reeling that information back in. Do they really think they can control that info now that it has been on the net?

Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: texretvet] #4248302 05/11/13 09:27 AM
H
HeidelbergJaeger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
This wasn't from the DoD- they have bigger fish to fry right now.

The plans were pulled by the State Department. They have a Defense technology control section, and these were the folks responsible. They do not want this type of technology exported or imported. These are the same folks that would not allow the reimport of lend-lease M1 Garands from South Korea under Hillary Clinton's tenure.

Korea is nothing like Germany, and no amount of Army Modernization propaganda will convince me otherwise. I miss my wife and kids something fierce
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: HeidelbergJaeger] #4249840 05/12/13 01:32 PM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
This is much to do over very little! The cost of a 3D printer of the quality needed to produce a firearm is very high. The plastic is also VERY expensive! I talked with a friend (who works with 3D printers every day) about this,and he said it is 3X cheaper to go and buy a gun rather than "print" one. His est. cost of an AR15 was around $5K in material.

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: deckhand] #4251885 05/13/13 04:56 PM
T
tx outlaw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The files are still up on PirateBay. The guy behind DefenseDistributed (the company that created the files) said he was expecting them to get taken down (despite them being perfectly legal). The thing is that the files are out there now, and there's no way to completely get rid of them.

Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: tx outlaw] #4251961 05/13/13 05:34 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Think it has anything to do with the fact that the US in WW2 built and distributed a gun named "Liberator"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4252551 05/13/13 10:04 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686

^^^this^^^

Gun control is about people control, not crime reduction.
In fact more crime seems to make the grabbers feel vindicated.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: So the DOD can now control freedom of speech??? Regarding 3D printed guns [Re: Gravytrain] #4255970 05/15/13 03:32 AM
T
theserxtremedays Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The files are still available if you want them let me know, or look for it as a torrent.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

you must realize that fear is not real, It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand, danger is very real, but fear is our choice!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide