Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Prairie Dogs? #4220985 04/30/13 01:31 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
What do you know about prairie dogs. If you think you know a lot about them, tell us what you know. And please vote before reading comments.

Prairie dogs
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/30/13 01:30 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221246 04/30/13 02:51 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sorry dont know anything about them good or bad.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: 10pointers] #4221328 04/30/13 03:25 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
It's a neat subject. I'll try to chime in tomorrow with some information to do a little schooling.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221330 04/30/13 03:25 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
And to the people that think they are a nuisance, tell me why they are.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221425 04/30/13 04:35 AM
R
rebeltex Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
they carry alot of disease, they can destroy the vegetation around the dog towns, and wait until a horse steps in the holes and breaks a leg, you will kill every prairie dog you see.

"I've drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around"-L Skynyrd
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: rebeltex] #4221432 04/30/13 04:44 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: rebeltex
they carry alot of disease, they can destroy the vegetation around the dog towns, and wait until a horse steps in the holes and breaks a leg, you will kill every prairie dog you see.

They don't carry any disease, they dont destroy the vegetation, the rancher does, and have you personally ever seen a horse or cow with a broken leg from a prairie dog hole? I don't want a brother's cousin ex in-law story either.

On the vegetation, they keep it grazed down for protection. The grass is also very rich in Nitrogen, and the livestock prefer this area, hence why it looks like the prairie dog is the problem, but they're not. Their tunnels also get full of water when it rains, which helps the ground in saturation.

Rebeltex, sorry that you are the first one to answer, but people like you that don't know the facts cause problems. Trust me, I hated the things, but after a little research, you can see that they are very great animals, and probably the biggest keystone species in the prairie.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221616 04/30/13 12:33 PM
D
DiverTexas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've heard they make excellent targets.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: DiverTexas] #4221620 04/30/13 12:37 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: DiverTexas
I've heard they make excellent targets.

rofl

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221673 04/30/13 12:59 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

They don't carry any disease, they dont destroy the vegetation, the rancher does, and have you personally ever seen a horse or cow with a broken leg from a prairie dog hole? I don't want a brother's cousin ex in-law story either.

On the vegetation, they keep it grazed down for protection. The grass is also very rich in Nitrogen, and the livestock prefer this area, hence why it looks like the prairie dog is the problem, but they're not. Their tunnels also get full of water when it rains, which helps the ground in saturation.

Rebeltex, sorry that you are the first one to answer, but people like you that don't know the facts cause problems. Trust me, I hated the things, but after a little research, you can see that they are very great animals, and probably the biggest keystone species in the prairie.

We've got a pretty good size dog town on the south end of the big ranch thats been there as long as anybody can remember. To this date we've never had a horse or cow injured due to stepping in hole, nor have we noticed any type of disease that effected the cattle, horses or dogs. They keep the area cleared out from sapling mesquites and cactus and provide a good grazing area for the cattle. They are now and will always be protected on this ranch. Plus their cute little buggers, the pups are starting to show up.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: HWY_MAN] #4221704 04/30/13 01:11 PM
T
trjscout Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
theres a lady in lubbock that saves them and relocates them she floods them with water and traps them ,she needs a place to take them,google it

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KG68] #4221742 04/30/13 01:22 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Need another category:

Don't know anything about Prairie Dogs and Don't Care!
bolt

(just funnin' ya)

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4221795 04/30/13 01:42 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Had them all around my house, until one of the landowners finally poisoned them. I know once they get established in even a crp field they will keep it mowed. I know all the cattle guys around here hate them. You would think when you moved your cows off the grass would grow back, but not when you have praire dogs everywhere keeping it cut short. Definately not good when you have already had two years of extreme drought conditions. You can say what you want about their holes but I'm not buying that they are benefitial. No I have not ever seen a broken animal leg but I know that from what I have seen for every whole there is an area of approx 4 or more square feet that has no vegitation due to the mound. You mutiply that by hundreds or thousands depending on the size of the prairie dog colony and you have a lot of wasted space that should be growing grass.

I am not a researcher on prairie dogs, just a redneck that lives around them daily, and luckily I have a green light to shoot all I see on all of my neighbors places in the area.

Yes they are great target practice and this is a great time of year to hunt them, because the babies are just now leaving the holes and don't know yet to run back down them when the bullets start flying. I got my kid started hunting on praire dogs.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #4221800 04/30/13 01:45 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
speaking of prarie dogs
flush

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221812 04/30/13 01:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

How does water run uphill on the mounds to fill the tunnels full of water?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #4221830 04/30/13 01:58 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Had them all around my house, until one of the landowners finally poisoned them. I know once they get established in even a crp field they will keep it mowed. I know all the cattle guys around here hate them. You would think when you moved your cows off the grass would grow back, but not when you have praire dogs everywhere keeping it cut short. Definately not good when you have already had two years of extreme drought conditions. You can say what you want about their holes but I'm not buying that they are benefitial. No I have not ever seen a broken animal leg but I know that from what I have seen for every whole there is an area of approx 4 or more square feet that has no vegitation due to the mound. You mutiply that by hundreds or thousands depending on the size of the prairie dog colony and you have a lot of wasted space that should be growing grass.

I am not a researcher on prairie dogs, just a redneck that lives around them daily, and luckily I have a green light to shoot all I see on all of my neighbors places in the area.

Yes they are great target practice and this is a great time of year to hunt them, because the babies are just now leaving the holes and don't know yet to run back down them when the bullets start flying. I got my kid started hunting on praire dogs.

The grass around that dog town looks far better than our pastures.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #4221833 04/30/13 01:58 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Guess the one on the left was a casualty of war! cheers

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: Navasot] #4221836 04/30/13 01:58 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
speaking of prarie dogs
flush

WINNER!!! rofl rofl rofl rofl

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4221842 04/30/13 02:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I know I love hitting them with high speed .22 bullets every year.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: J.G.] #4221900 04/30/13 02:22 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Hwyman, that pic is from many years ago when we actually had a really wet spring. I can assure you it looks nothing like that now.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #4222001 04/30/13 03:02 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I don't see prairie dogs as all bad or all good, they are not disease free, they can have tularemia and bubonic plague. Plague can wipe out a town, so while they don't act as a reservoir of disease, an infected town can act as a stepping stone for a broader infection. It's the bottom line why ranchers hate them they compete with cattle for grass. They are the primary prey species for badgers, ferrets, and some hawks. Remove the predators and towns can explode and become too large. Like most thing they aren't all good or all bad.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: stxranchman] #4222293 04/30/13 04:49 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

How does water run uphill on the mounds to fill the tunnels full of water?

That one mound is only one hole, they usually have 1-3 more that go to the same spot without a mound.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #4222299 04/30/13 04:53 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

And ranchers are the problem, and they hate them, because they can blame there terrible ranching skills on something. Like you stated, they keep it mowed short, but the cows prefer that area because it is better nitrogen. That's why a prairie dog town is usually overgrazed, because of livestock, not the PD's. It takes 5 minutes of research, and you can see that PD's are actually needed for an ecosystem. Take a look back at time, the bison and PD's sure got along just fine.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: KWood_TSU] #4222335 04/30/13 05:05 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
I know that a .224 diameter 55gr hornady vmax bullet makes a mess out of a PD.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: elkhunter7x6] #4222365 04/30/13 05:19 PM
B
BnT Offline
Super Troll
Super Troll
B
HAH! someone already beat me to it!!!! flush

That's about what I know about prairie dogs.

Re: Prairie Dogs? [Re: nsmike] #4222389 04/30/13 05:29 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: nsmike
I don't see prairie dogs as all bad or all good, they are not disease free, they can have tularemia and bubonic plague. Plague can wipe out a town, so while they don't act as a reservoir of disease, an infected town can act as a stepping stone for a broader infection. It's the bottom line why ranchers hate them they compete with cattle for grass. They are the primary prey species for badgers, ferrets, and some hawks. Remove the predators and towns can explode and become too large. Like most thing they aren't all good or all bad.

But they don't carry sylvatic plague, they get it from a kangaroo rat, or something of the like, and that can wipe them out.

And if you poison PD's, you also get the second-hand deaths, such as hawks, burrowing owls, and the endangered black-footed ferret dying from feeding on them.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide