Print Thread
correct way to fly with firearm #4118833 03/13/13 03:03 PM
F
fonzo Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
I'm curious as to what the correct way to go about trying to fly with your firearm in your luggage. if i were flying from say texas to oklahoma, what do i need to do. I've heard the weapon needs to be in a lock box and you need to inform the carrier somehow, so any help would be appreciated.

First one down, many many more to come!
Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: fonzo] #4118988 03/13/13 04:17 PM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Lockable hard-sided case.
Locks in each lock hole...some airports require only 2 locks some will give you trouble if you have less locks than holes.
Ammo in factory box or box specifically designed for ammo.
Declare your weapon at the counter and allow extra time for them to check it.

AA link https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/firearms.jsp

Last edited by Chris/HOU; 03/13/13 04:18 PM.
Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: Chris/HOU] #4120144 03/14/13 02:02 AM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
^^^What Chris said. Also be sure to check with your specific airline to ensure that they dont have additional regulations. I check a gun with southwest all the time. Never a problem.

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: Tim9880] #4123976 03/15/13 11:09 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Anything but SW, be prepared to shell out $$ for an extra bag.

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: Cool Mo D] #4125117 03/16/13 06:53 PM
E
EVCO Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I fly on Southwest with handguns all the time, and I leave my ammo in the mags and put them in a belt mag holder. Of course locked in the box with my pistols. Otherwise, I agree with Chris. It's really not a big deal and normally doesn't take to long. Look on the airlines website and they will have their regulations. One other point, they don't want you to use TSA approved locks, because no one is supposed to be able to access the box but you.

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: EVCO] #4126241 03/17/13 01:50 PM
B
Borane4 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Was in Florida this week and found 3-225 rd boxes of 22LR in a Walmart, so I bought them. Flew American home and told the woman at the counter that I had them in my checked luggage. She checked the rules in the link above, confirmed that they were in a factory box and even called "downstairs" to the luggage scanner guys. Green light- "have a nice flight."

Ive found that outside of Dallas, most ticket counter people are seeing a firearm or ammo for the first time. Ive yet to see one that didnt have to go back and check their own regs...

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: Borane4] #4127969 03/18/13 11:59 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A buddy and I flew to Denver from DFW to pick up a dog and drive back. We put our handguns in a metal lockable briefcase. We also put gun locks on each firearm. If you put them in a lockbox with a key, they will pick the lock and check them out. If you have a combination lock they will call you to the front counter and ask for your combo. I make sure to use a combo so that they know that I know they were in the lockbox.

Put your ammo in a separate piece of luggage.

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: stinkbelly] #4215830 04/27/13 04:11 AM
M
Mark S Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
just throw in carry on !!!

Just kidding
If you do let us know B4 so no one will book that flight. There will be delays that day!

Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: fonzo] #4220613 04/29/13 10:20 PM
H
HeidelbergJaeger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: fonzo
I'm curious as to what the correct way to go about trying to fly with your firearm in your luggage. if i were flying from say texas to oklahoma, what do i need to do. I've heard the weapon needs to be in a lock box and you need to inform the carrier somehow, so any help would be appreciated.

Having traveled around the US and world with my firearms, here is what I have learned. I call these my 15 steps to keeping my guns.

Step 1. Verify that your airline accepts firearms in its baggage compartments. Not all airlines are gun friendly. Call ahead, get names, phone numbers and extensions for reference later or when standing at the terminal and you start getting the business.

Step 2. While traveling within the US, make sure that the cities of departure and arrival along with any intermediary locations do not prohibit the type of firearm that you wish to travel with. Nothing sucks more than getting re-routed in flight due to weather, or in my case, lack of ATC operators at my original destination.

Step 3. Have a typed record on your person of your weapon's make, model, caliber, serial number and any applicable state or local registration numbers. This goes a long way with the TSA agent who will freak out the minute you say "gun". Declare your firearm immediately to your ticketing agent before they grab your first piece of luggage. I have had to transit all of San Francisco Intl to retrieve my luggage for inspection while my flight was boarding due to an overzealous baggage handler grabbing the suitcase with my pistol when I was talking with my wife.

Step 4. Use only airline approved, lockable hard cases and TSA approved locking devices. Again, the TSA is not there to help you with your guns, only confiscate them when you make a mistake.

Step 5. Contact a representative from the airport where you intend to depart and see what your chosen airline's preferred method of check-in for persons traveling with firearms is. You may have to upgrade to First Class or preferred flyer in order for them to give you a little more time and not have to deal with ticket agents who have inferior customer service skills, or basic human compassion.

Step 6. Make sure that all actions are open, and secured with a cable lock. Mark your cable lock keys with a dab of model paint that corresponds to the lock used. This saves time when fumbling for the keys when a TSA agent who looks like she hasn't had a pleasurable experience with the opposite sex breaks out the latex glove, salt and lemon juice.

Step 7. Keep anyone not personally involved with you transporting a firearm away from the inspection area. Again, TSA agents exhibit very little tolerance for anyone other than themselves. Its their way or a one way trip to a holding cell and never seeing your firearms again.

Step 8. No ammunition is to be loaded in the weapon period. How many times a year do you hear about some D-bag attempting to bring a loaded firearm into their baggage only to be hog tied when it is found? If you've recently fired the weapon, ensure that you've visually inspected the action to make sure it is clear and void of any ammunition. Visually inspect any detachable magazines as well.

Step 9. If you are able to transport live ammunition, only do so in the manufacturers packaging. Do not attempt to bring ammunition that has been hand loaded in a plastic ammo case. TSA agents understand that factory ammo is continually tested to ensure uniformity and that the quality conforms to industry safety standards. Again, don't argue with the person who can deny your plans to leave and return with your anal virginity intact.

Step 10. Mind your please's, thank you's, yes and no ma'am or sir. You kill more bees with honey than a shotgun.

Step 11. Do not dawdle. Move with a purpose and follow all instructions from the tower. Do not anticipate the commands of the security screener. Understand that you will have multiple pairs of eyes on you and that any perceived act of omission or commission on your part can constitute a bad day occurring quickly.

Step 12. Avoid overt advertisement of your firearms. Ammo cases with firearms manufacturer logos, stickers or camo patterns draws unnecessary attention to you. You will literally stick out like a sore thumb. You want to get screened, checked in and boarded on your flight with minimal delays.

Step 13. Avoid traveling through NYC La Guardia, Chicago O'Hare, San Francisco Intl or Atlanta Hartsfield at all costs. Texas to Oklahoma is pretty straight forward if you fly Southwest, Delta or American.

Step 14. Retain all luggage claim checks, and verify with the arrival destination of where your oversize luggage will be delivered. Often firearms are not placed on the conveyors, and you'll have to present the claim ticket at the airline's luggage area customer service counter. These are probably the best handled pieces of luggage on the flight. You may want to consider putting any unruly children you may have in a luggage case too.

Step 15. At your destination, refer to step 11. Do not make yourself bait for a thief. Get your weapons case, make like a baby and head out. Get to your rental car or have transportation waiting on you. The less time you spend in an airport with a weapon is generally better for your sanity.

Now this in no way is guaranteed legally sound advice for traveling with a firearm. It is however the steps that I have taken to safely travel across the US and into the European Union without so much as a hiccup and still having my anal virginity intact. Oh, and I still have all of my firearms too.

Korea is nothing like Germany, and no amount of Army Modernization propaganda will convince me otherwise. I miss my wife and kids something fierce
Re: correct way to fly with firearm [Re: HeidelbergJaeger] #4225364 05/01/13 06:34 PM
D
DaddysBees Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Excellent information HeidelbergJaeger!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide