Forums46
Topics538,381
Posts9,736,477
Members87,084
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4207418 04/23/13 10:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
To answer yalls questions, you can't dedicate people at the gun counter to answer calls, bc the customers in store will be mad bc they aren't getting helped at the time. It is hard to check stock in store, bc we are always busy, and while selling a gun it's difficult to help others.

And academy is usually not as busy as the other stores, so it's easier for them to do.

Just have a guy/gal in the back who gets ALL gun/ammo calls and does all the checking....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4207464 04/23/13 10:44 PM
S
Scooterb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I've called the Forth Worth store and they not only told me they had a particular gun, but they even put my name on it so it would still be there when I made the drive from Abilene. I've done that on two separate trips. That was before all the panic however.

"I have too many guns," said no one, ever.
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4207470 04/23/13 10:50 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
To answer yalls questions, you can't dedicate people at the gun counter to answer calls, bc the customers in store will be mad bc they aren't getting helped at the time. It is hard to check stock in store, bc we are always busy, and while selling a gun it's difficult to help others.

And academy is usually not as busy as the other stores, so it's easier for them to do.

Just have a guy/gal in the back who gets ALL gun/ammo calls and does all the checking....

With that you run into the problem of that person leaving the back room, you get stopped by customers that want help on the floor. And then they get stopped behind the counter who is an eager person and wants to see that gun. You can't get somebody else to help them bc no one is available. You can't tell them to wait, bc they could leave and you lose a gun sale. And very few people will wait 5 minutes on hold so you can tell them we have 10 boxes left of 223, but it will probably be gone in an hour. It sucks but that is the way it is.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Scooterb] #4207473 04/23/13 10:52 PM
M
MBTECH85 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Scooterb
I've called the Forth Worth store and they not only told me they had a particular gun, but they even put my name on it so it would still be there when I made the drive from Abilene. I've done that on two separate trips. That was before all the panic however.

This. When I purchased a rifle from them a few months ago, I called the Ft Worth store to verify that they had one in stock. The guy told me they had one in stock and would hold it for me. Not sure if the policy has changed or what.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4207476 04/23/13 10:53 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This.

Or keep track of inventory so that when an operator answers the phone (like at Cabela's), she looks in the file on her computer and tells you right then what is in stock. Why is that not possible?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: J.G.] #4207493 04/23/13 10:59 PM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I went through the same thing, called and asked for someone at the gun counter and was told that wasn't gonna happen. I expressed the fact that its a 80 mile drive, yada yada yada and the lady just apologized. So I went anyway. They did have what I wanted but after seeing several dozen guys standing in line with ticket numbers in hand (it was a Saturday) and 30 guys piled into the one aisle that has the 223 ammo I realized that what they may have had a 9 am when I called was not likely to be there by 10:30 when I arrived. I got what I wanted anyway so I was happy.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: J.G.] #4207502 04/23/13 11:03 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
[quote=KWood_TSU]To answer yalls questions, you can't dedicate people at the gun counter to answer calls, bc the customers in store will be mad bc they aren't getting helped at the time. It is hard to check stock in store, bc we are always busy, and while selling a gun it's difficult to help others.

This.

Or keep track of inventory so that when an operator answers the phone (like at Cabela's), she looks in the file on her computer and tells you right then what is in stock. Why is that not possible? [/quo
That won't work, bc those people don't know what gun they are llookng for. You have to search by upc. And if they don't know what they are looking for, they can't get the correct upc.
And then, sometimes it takes the computers an hour or so to update. If they say one is in stock, but it just sold, that can lead to problems.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4207539 04/23/13 11:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
[quote=KWood_TSU]To answer yalls questions, you can't dedicate people at the gun counter to answer calls, bc the customers in store will be mad bc they aren't getting helped at the time. It is hard to check stock in store, bc we are always busy, and while selling a gun it's difficult to help others.

This.

Or keep track of inventory so that when an operator answers the phone (like at Cabela's), she looks in the file on her computer and tells you right then what is in stock. Why is that not possible? [/quo
That won't work, bc those people don't know what gun they are llookng for. You have to search by upc. And if they don't know what they are looking for, they can't get the correct upc.
And then, sometimes it takes the computers an hour or so to update. If they say one is in stock, but it just sold, that can lead to problems.

No offense, but you sound more interested in explaining why good customer service can't happen instead of figuring out ways that it CAN. And it can be done-Nordstrums, Lexus, and even Wal Mart in the early days prove it. No rational customer should ever be made to feel disappointed. Corollary: All customer requests are rational. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4207567 04/23/13 11:34 PM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
No offense, but you sound more interested in explaining why good customer service can't happen instead of figuring out ways that it CAN. And it can be done-Nordstrums, Lexus, and even Wal Mart in the early days prove it. No rational customer should ever be made to feel disappointed. Corollary: All customer requests are rational. smile

That is a very reasonable outlook if we weren't in the times of supply and demand that we are in. This panic is very hard to manage IMO and it has to be handled with a soft hand to maintain order and appease to the customers. Pre panic they were more than happy to answer phones and work with long distance customers, but til things settle down I wouldn't expect to much change.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4207729 04/24/13 12:26 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nogales Prarie hit the nail on the head.

Don't give excuses, provide solutions. Several of us are suggesting solutions from the customer side looking into the retail side. The guy in the retail side is providing the excuses.

Don't fall in the "its the way we've always done it" BS. I've heard that term more than I can count in my career. My answer is "why don't we have horses hooked to steamers in the bay?" Because it does not fit in the service delivery needs any longer, technology has made that method of delivery obsolete, and because the needs of our "customer" have changed.

Adapt to change or fall victim to it.

Cabela's and Gander Mountain have the means to change for the better, it appears they do not have the will.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: J.G.] #4207762 04/24/13 12:37 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If you want your voice heard say it in he Customer survey. A plus to that is get your opine in and get entered for a $500 gift card.

Customer comments got the no tell rule changed for ammo/powder/primers. Might work for guns also.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: J.G.] #4207788 04/24/13 12:45 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Don't give excuses, provide solutions. Several of us are suggesting solutions from the customer side looking into the retail side. The guy in the retail side is providing the excuses.

Don't fall in the "its the way we've always done it" BS. I've heard that term more than I can count in my career. My answer is "why don't we have horses hooked to steamers in the bay?" Because it does not fit in the service delivery needs any longer, technology has made that method of delivery obsolete, and because the needs of our "customer" have changed.

Cabela's and Gander Mountain have the means to change for the better, it appears they do not have the will.

Read Alaska cubs response. That defines it perfect. And I'm not making excuses, um trying to make you see it from the retailer side of view to open your eyes a little.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: syncerus] #4207790 04/24/13 12:45 AM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: syncerus
Cabelas has behaved so decently in the recent mess that I'll forgive them for minor organization issues. My **guess** why they wont give out inventory over the phone is because they don't want to tell you that they've got something, have you spend 4 hours driving in, and then find out that it's been sold out from under you.

Since they can't reasonably hold items during buying frenzies, all they can do is let you buy it if you can touch it.

It's not a nefarious corporate plan to make customers miserable. The policy is designed to reduce customer disappointment, not increase it.

It's funny that people have to be told everything in America . They have to put warnings on everything like to tell you your coffee is hot .... I'd rather them be able to tell me they have one and I'd hope I'd have the common sense to know someone could snag it at any second . But it would be nice to know whether I should even waste my time trying

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4207845 04/24/13 01:04 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Read Alaska cubs response. That defines it perfect. And I'm not making excuses, um trying to make you see it from the retailer side of view to open your eyes a little.

And I completely agree with him. A calm demeanor, and a soft hand is absolutely needed. The times we are in have happened before, and they will happen again. Now is the time to learn from the current situation and improve from it. We have seen Cheaper Than Dirt proceed down the polar opposite path, and take advantage of the situation. Sure they have made huge profits of late, but in the long run they will pay for it. Those of us that keep a bead on the firearms industry have learned just how despicable they are and will never do business with them again, come hell or high water.

I am not mad or boycotting Cabela's, I want them to remain in business and be successful. I am tired of bad or half-assed customer service and offering suggestions. I know the companies, that I deal with, that have good customer service and I will continue to trade their goods for my hard earned money as long as they are in business.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4207931 04/24/13 01:33 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Oh my. Another imperfect experience with a sporting goods store.

BAN!

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4207963 04/24/13 01:49 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
when they answer the phone, ask for the gun counter. Those guys will tell you if they have the gun. I have done it several times.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Closed Traverse] #4208163 04/24/13 02:45 AM
A
AlaskaCub Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
when they answer the phone, ask for the gun counter. Those guys will tell you if they have the gun. I have done it several times.

Right now they aren't doing that. They were doing that before the craziness started but as of right now they screen gun counter calls , anything firearm or ammo related questions they give you the shpeel about not wanting the gun counter guys or anyone firearm savvy on the phone all day.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: AlaskaCub] #4208269 04/24/13 03:26 AM
A
adub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I ask for a different department then ask that dept to transfer me. Worked for me when I got my xds .45 last month.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: adub] #4208471 04/24/13 05:31 AM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Y'all

I spoke with Manager at Cabela's in Allen today. They will tell you what they have in stock. They will hold the item until COB - close of business, upon request.

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Wildphilhickup] #4208534 04/24/13 11:25 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So this varies manager to manager? Seems as though the manager of Allen is trying to help people and Ft. Worth doesn't care to.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: J.G.] #4208555 04/24/13 11:49 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
So this varies manager to manager? Seems as though the manager of Allen is trying to help people and Ft. Worth doesn't care to.

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!! I WORK PART TIME AT GANDER MOUNTAIN I KNOW THE RETAIL BUSINESS!!!

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Ramball36] #4208574 04/24/13 12:08 PM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Ramball36
THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!! I WORK PART TIME AT GANDER MOUNTAIN I KNOW THE RETAIL BUSINESS!!!

LOUD NOISES!

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: Ramball36] #4208771 04/24/13 01:24 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Ramball36

lmao

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: KWood_TSU] #4208868 04/24/13 01:59 PM
MD2595 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
You might not see the reason, but as retailers they have a good reason. And yes, there are a lot of times we don't know the reason either, we are just told what to do. And I just told you to go to the store and get them to order it for you, but youre too lazy to do so is what I am seeing from your posts. Or go to Gander and buy it online if they ahve it and have it shipped to whatever Gander you want.

And idc where you are at, but you are pouting, lol.

And you are the exception, not the rule, because if someone is told they can't be told over the phone, they will go to the store and find out. Guess what, Cabelas made a sell, and they dont care if you are upset, because you didnt WANT to go get what you wanted.

Why don't you just give me a good reason not to tell a customer?

I must have struck a chord with you since you are sure taking a lot of time and energy on this topic.

And not wanting to drive a couple hours for nothing is not being lazy. I'm not sure who you think you are posting your stupid opinions of me, but I assure you that you are sadly mistaken.

You should take a look back at your posts/insinuations and see how immature you look.

Re: Cabela's won't disclose in stock guns over the phone [Re: MD2595] #4208945 04/24/13 02:25 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I had a "good" experience with Cabela's just last week! I had been looking for a 10/22 Take Down. None to be had anywhere unless you wanted to pay a premium on Gun Broker or TGT. I know that the counter help at Cabelas is extremely busy but I always enjoy just walking around and looking so I drove the hour over there knowing they probably didn't have one.

Sure enough, they didn't - BUT they took my name and advised that orders had already been submitted. There would be no "special order" charge but I would be next on the list. One week goes by and sure enough they called and advised the gun was in and had my name on it. They would hold it for 5 business days and if I didn't show up or if I didn't like it I was under no obligation to purchase.

I went over last Friday and picked it up - also scored a box of 22lr and a 25rnd mag at the same time. I think they only got 5 in and all were spoken for.

All the guys behind the counter were courteous & helpful and obviously OVERWORKED. They were even thanking me for being so patient.....

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide