Print Thread
kayak and duck hunting #4188308 04/15/13 04:00 AM
T
timawa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Anybody have tried duck hunting in the river or in the lake with kayak?
Hoping to get some tips and safety advise. Thank y'all.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: timawa] #4188500 04/15/13 12:02 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
1. Wear PFD whenever your on the move
2. Watch your weight load
3. Know your paddling limits. I don't know if your new to paddling. If so start conditioning yourself now.
4. Make for damn sure you have your white light on. Also, a bright flashlight will come in handy for getting running boats attention.
5. If in wadders wear a wadding belt

Also, I've learned that trying to drag a bag of deks behind you creates a ton of drag. Put them in a decoy sled or in your kayak.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Trout-killer] #4188507 04/15/13 12:06 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There are tons of us that do this. Trout-killer has most of it. Our first outting we made blinds on top of our yaks. They were barely dragging in the water. It felt like we were dragging a ton of bricks. Makes sure nothing is dragging.

I can get me, 2 dogs, 3 dozen decoys, gun, and my decoy bag in/on my kayak.

Main things are to wear the life jacket, and watch for other boaters, especially in the dark. They will be racing to their spot and don't care about you.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: stinkbelly] #4188647 04/15/13 01:23 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
All of the above!!
Also, if you haven't purchase your kayak yet, look at the Nucanoe Frontier. Loads of capacity (600#)you can install a swivel seat stand and seat and stable and easy to paddle. They also offer a camo cover for it that looks as it's above the water line.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: RayB] #4188827 04/15/13 02:26 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Bring a spotlight when youre paddling in to flash off other boats coming your way in the dark.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: kdub] #4191018 04/16/13 01:41 PM
Y
YoungGunTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
My best advice is start a lot earlier then you think it will take you to get to your spot. My first venture on a canoe was spur of the moment and I barely got my spread set up before ducks started coming in but it was definitely a lot more fun!

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: YoungGunTX] #4192794 04/17/13 03:19 AM
T
timawa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks y'all.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: timawa] #4193434 04/17/13 02:47 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I use a kayak all the time on the coast. Usually I would park it on the bank and walk down away from it and hunt, but when it's low tide the water is sometimes 100 yards from the shore so I had no choice but to hunt from the water. I think I camoed this bright orange kayak pretty good lol. I can fit 3 dozen decoys, shotgun, gear and dog all on it with me.

Like everyone said, have a light to flash off boats and wear your life jacket. And a GPS is nice to have because it's easy to get lost in a thick fog.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Erichugh22] #4193540 04/17/13 03:28 PM
940AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: FallinFeathers
I use a kayak all the time on the coast. Usually I would park it on the bank and walk down away from it and hunt, but when it's low tide the water is sometimes 100 yards from the shore so I had no choice but to hunt from the water. I think I camoed this bright orange kayak pretty good lol. I can fit 3 dozen decoys, shotgun, gear and dog all on it with me.

Like everyone said, have a light to flash off boats and wear your life jacket. And a GPS is nice to have because it's easy to get lost in a thick fog.

How big is that yak? That's a ton of stuff with your dog to get in a kayak!

No bad days hunting
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: 940AC] #4193545 04/17/13 03:30 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
It's wilderness system tarpon 140. 14ft

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Erichugh22] #4193598 04/17/13 03:45 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
There are a few kayaks companies offering kayaks advertised as useful for hunting and several in drab or camo colors. Last I surfed around at the current offerings, most advertised for the purpose were in the 12 ft range. IMO, those companies are missing the mark by only changing the color of their 12ft fishing yaks. I personally prefer a minimum of 14ft. Add weight of hunter, dog, and gear, added weight of gear when wet, actual water taken on from waves or rain, and a high center of gravity from piling gear on it, you will want something with a high load rating that is stable for the type of load put on it.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Sniper John] #4193728 04/17/13 04:40 PM
940AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
There are a few kayaks companies offering kayaks advertised as useful for hunting and several in drab or camo colors. Last I surfed around at the current offerings, most advertised for the purpose were in the 12 ft range. IMO, those companies are missing the mark by only changing the color of their 12ft fishing yaks. I personally prefer a minimum of 14ft. Add weight of hunter, dog, and gear, added weight of gear when wet, actual water taken on from waves or rain, and a high center of gravity from piling gear on it, you will want something with a high load rating that is stable for the type of load put on it.

John- wouldn't a sneak boat/pirouge be better than a kayak then?

No bad days hunting
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: 940AC] #4193748 04/17/13 04:51 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Ive thought about doing it.

I have an OK drifter and have been BTB fishing several times.

Wonder how much it would cost to get my yak wrapped? May be cheaper to just purchase another dedicaited to hunting.

I doubt a rattle can camo job would last.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: 940AC] #4193843 04/17/13 05:33 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: 940AC

John- wouldn't a sneak boat/pirouge be better than a kayak then?

I dont think sneakboats or pirouges would paddle as easily as most kayaks. I havent paddled either though. Just going off looks of different ones that Ive seen.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: 940AC] #4193897 04/17/13 05:58 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I consider sneak boats more specialized for a particular type of hunting or water. And I do use a decked wooden pirouge as a layout/sneak boat. But for general all purpose paddle boat hunting I like kayak hybrids or a kayak-canoe hybrid.

My main general hunting kayak I use would be classified as a hybrid kayak. It has a large cockpit and wide flat bottom.

Hybrids can hold a lot of gear, but not quite a canoe and without such a high freeboard. Mine (Oldtown K140) is no longer made, but one that fits that description would be the Native Ultimate.
http://nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=46

Another that almost fits the bill that I was excited to see at first was the Jackson Orion. Lots of cargo space, room behind the seat for a dog, camo option, and you could fully layout in it. Then I saw the length at only 12 ft and only 375 lb weight capacity. A little too short and a little low on the weight capacity IMO. Too bad. Close, but no cigar.
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/orion/

Most sit on top kayaks IMO may have the weight capacity, but they do not have the space. If you stack gear on them it creates a high center of gravity. When that kind of kayak fails, it's catastrophic. Plus you can't easily lay in them as a layout. Oh, and they tend to be slow and need more work to paddle which matters when your out paddling a long ways in the dark in freezing weather.

One exception I noticed recently was the the Native Slayer. A deep sit in kayak with lots of cargo space. You can carry the gear, keep the center of gravity down, and can't take on water. I think this one has promise for a sit on hunting kayak. Not enough to make me think it is better than what I got, but if they ever redesign it for the propel system I will buy one.
http://nativewatercraft.com/boat_detail.cfm?id=49

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Sniper John] #4194930 04/18/13 01:35 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I consider sneak boats more specialized for a particular type of hunting or water. And I do use a decked wooden pirouge as a layout/sneak boat. But for general all purpose paddle boat hunting I like kayak hybrids or a kayak-canoe hybrid.

My main general hunting kayak I use would be classified as a hybrid kayak. It has a large cockpit and wide flat bottom.

Hybrids can hold a lot of gear, but not quite a canoe and without such a high freeboard. Mine (Oldtown K140) is no longer made, but one that fits that description would be the Native Ultimate.
http://nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=46

Another that almost fits the bill that I was excited to see at first was the Jackson Orion. Lots of cargo space, room behind the seat for a dog, camo option, and you could fully layout in it. Then I saw the length at only 12 ft and only 375 lb weight capacity. A little too short and a little low on the weight capacity IMO. Too bad. Close, but no cigar.
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/orion/

Most sit on top kayaks IMO may have the weight capacity, but they do not have the space. If you stack gear on them it creates a high center of gravity. When that kind of kayak fails, it's catastrophic. Plus you can't easily lay in them as a layout. Oh, and they tend to be slow and need more work to paddle which matters when your out paddling a long ways in the dark in freezing weather.

One exception I noticed recently was the the Native Slayer. A deep sit in kayak with lots of cargo space. You can carry the gear, keep the center of gravity down, and can't take on water. I think this one has promise for a sit on hunting kayak. Not enough to make me think it is better than what I got, but if they ever redesign it for the propel system I will buy one.
http://nativewatercraft.com/boat_detail.cfm?id=49

I think hands down the Native Ultimate is a sweet ride. But what are your thought about the NuCanoe

http://www.nucanoe.com/hunting-kayaks/

[Linked Image]
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Hopedale] #4195218 04/18/13 03:19 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
At many places I have had my kayak, if in that nucanoe I would have wave after wave come over the bow into that boat. At least it is self bailing. In my boat it takes some major waves to reach the cockpit. In a Native Ultimate I would have a bow spray skirt. The 12ft frontier has a 650lb capasity or 400lb self bailing capacity. I wish it was longer, but it has potential. It will take a 2.5 hp motor. May need it. I would want to paddle one before buying one.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Sniper John] #4195997 04/18/13 03:50 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
What I don't understand about that company is how they have a new model and its priced at a price point equal to Native Ultimate.

The first thing that drew my attention was its classic design and was about $300 to $400 dollars less then the Ultimate.

http://www.nucanoe.com/wp-content/files/Retail%20Price%20List.pdf

[Linked Image]
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: Hopedale] #4196314 04/18/13 06:40 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Not an expert by any means but the ability to put a 7" pedestal seat to hunt from seams like it would be a plus. Not so much paddling to your spot on a windy day. The hull design (per my dealer) makes it fairly good to paddle. The one down side was the necessity of a 270cm paddle. Guess who makes that nidea I paid more for my Bending Branches than what he's asking for the Nucanoe paddle but 270 cm is a long sucker

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: RayB] #4196331 04/18/13 06:48 PM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Best yak I've ever been in...near impossible to turn over...you'll fall out before you turn it over. PM me if you need contact info, a buddy of mine builds them out of Shreveport. I believe he's building some layout type covers for them.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: cody] #4210693 04/25/13 02:00 AM
T
timawa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Do you wear wader with belt? I knew those sit on top kayak will get you wet.

Re: kayak and duck hunting [Re: timawa] #4211321 04/25/13 01:21 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You're gonna get wet from paddling in a sit in too, just not as wet.

The wader belt will help keep out water if you go under, which I did the last weekend of season.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide