Print Thread
Hollow points for deer? #41698 11/17/05 05:28 PM
T
TheHogKiller Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I am thinking of loading up some 120 grain hollow points for my 25-06 for deer. Will these work ok?I want do some experimenting with these in a 25-06 and 270. I am a chest shooter and will occasionaly go for a neck or head shot when conditions are right.So what does everyone think?

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41699 11/17/05 06:16 PM
H
heeeerod Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
What kind of hollow points? There are a few that are OK, but by in large I'd have to say it wasn't such a good idea, but if you are using one of the good ones it'd be OK. We need a little more info....

Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?...Pink Floyd...Wish You Were Here
Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: heeeerod] #41700 11/17/05 06:42 PM
B
bigbill Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I would steer clear of any rapidly expanding bullet. After shooting a 25-06 for years the wrong bullet will really mess up a deer.I settled an a 115 gr nosler partion and even they due a lot af meat damage.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41701 11/17/05 08:43 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I have shot 120gr. Hornady hollow points in my 25-06 and they worked very well. They did not explode, but peeled back and rapidly expanded and left a large exit wound.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: heeeerod] #41702 11/17/05 11:41 PM
T
TheHogKiller Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I am looking at trying 120 gr.Hornady Interlocks. What do you think of these? Does anyone have a suggestion on which one I can try. My loads will be at or near start loads per Lee manual. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41703 11/18/05 12:30 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I stopped using Hornady bullets several years ago, because I had too many of them come apart on impact almost, and I do all of my loading at the mid to low end of the loading tables. For actual field work on game, with the exception of my 45/70's, I use Barnes "X" or Triple-Shocks.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: Crazyhorse] #41704 11/18/05 01:24 PM
T
TheHogKiller Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
ok thanks for the replies everyone. I just had surgery wed.and I am bored and looking for something to occupy my time and can't do much for about a week.Can't even shoot a rifle due to being cut on the right side of my chest.No deer hunting for me for two weeks according to the surgeon. Don't think I can wait that long may have to break out the CZ 75 9mm.J/K anyway i am going to load up some differant loads while I'm down cause I'm gonna have a lot of catching up to do.My son has already got a 9 and we are going after he gets out of school and I'm sure that he will shoot a doe if he sees one. I may have to go with plain old Interlocks or partitions as I have never used these before.I will post results when I am able to shoot again or let my son do some testing.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41705 11/18/05 10:33 PM
H
heeeerod Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I have never had an interlock bullet fail unless I was too close with my 7 Mag. They are a fine bullet as long as they are not pushed to the extreme. In my 260 @2700 or so they do wonderfully. Partitions are stronger still, but in most cases unnecessary for deer. Honestly, Speer Hot Cores, Sierra Game Kings, Win Power Points, Rem Core-Lokts have all proven over the years that they are fine bullets for me 90% of the time. Sometimes I can live with that...others I can't. I used some HPBT Game Kings in my 7 Mag right after I got it. They shoot like match bullets...they sucked on hogs unless I drilled them in the ear...and if I was in just the right situation they were accurate enough to make that doable...I quit using them. Sometimes they did OK...sometimes they didn't...I couldn't live with that. They are lots of folks on here that are better shots than me...there are lots of folks that have been more places and shot different kinds of game than me and they are all as opinionated as me...lol. Try lots of stuff...shoot lots of times...decide what makes you confident and what gets it done for you. You will be a better hunter...no matter what you pick.

Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?...Pink Floyd...Wish You Were Here
Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: heeeerod] #41706 11/18/05 10:50 PM
B
bigbill Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
You said the other bullets worked "90% of the time". I just have to say this on more time, for me , Nosler partions work %100 of the time .If worse case a bullet cost $1 and it always works, why not? I sure like to chase this same question around the tree, gives me something to do. good hunting

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41707 12/08/05 08:10 AM
J
JoeS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Don't do that to a deer!!

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: heeeerod] #41708 12/15/05 07:05 PM
P
portsider44 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Quote:

I have never had an interlock bullet fail unless I was too close with my 7 Mag. They are a fine bullet as long as they are not pushed to the extreme.

This is why I am 100% on board with Crazy Horse & shoot Barnes X. Yes they cost more but for the extra money, I have the peace of mind. Knowing I don't have to reduce loads (lower fps) in order to keep the bullet from blowing up at close range.

So it doesn't matter if I am shooting something at 30 yards or 300 yards. Plus you can shoot light bullets with better ballistics.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41709 12/15/05 08:27 PM
B
bloodofbambi Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Hollow point bullets have never, ever, been used for deer hunting, not in a hunnert years. no 30-30 or 30-06 has ever used a hollow point bullet for no dadgummed deer.

now a bunch of des here exspurts chaw about these fancy bullets but good old lead bullet out of a garand is what I have used for going on 50 yeres now. and I shoot'em tween the eyeballs or in the balls. either way that stupid ol deer what is just standing still by a pile o maize is going on de wives stove top.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: TheHogKiller] #41710 12/15/05 08:28 PM
B
bloodofbambi Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
now come to think of 'er that guess might be the one to help you. butt he gone.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: bigbill] #41711 12/16/05 09:45 AM
H
heeeerod Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
When I use that 90% of the time figure I mean that under most circumstances a bullet will work. I am very fortunate in that I get to shoot hundreds of critters a year. When I say the bullet worked 90% of the time I mean that it usually did what I wanted it to. For me that means that it went all the way through(except for varmint bullets)and very quicklly caused the anumal to die (is that politically correct?). I don't mean that 10% it caused me to fail to collect an animal. All these folks(me included)that shoot bullets that are non-premiums...and that means the Sierra GameKing, Core-Lokts, Interlocks etc...already know what our bullets will do under most conditions. I just didn't want you to think that I would ever be satisfied with a bullet that completely went all to #$%% 10% of the time. I won't shoot anything that comes all to pieces no matter how good it shoots paper...that was the case with the Sierra HPBT GameKings. I like your Partitions ok. They are not my favorite premy, but I know they have a following. I do enough shooting(and am poor enough...lol)that price does make a difference but if I was going to do anything but shoot trash, which is what I shoot mostly, I'd go with my Inter-Bonds of XLC's. I just wanted to clear that up...lol.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: bloodofbambi] #41712 12/16/05 08:24 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
ahhh. Russian 7.62x39mm Hunting Ammo is hollow point. I have seen two deer shot with them. One deer was dead on the spot. The other deer ran about 20 yards. Both were lung shot at about 100 yards from a AK and had decent exit wounds and all around I liked the bullet performance.

I will admit i dont see a lot of hunting ammo that's hollow point, but I know for a fact that the russian hunting ammo in 7.62x39 is hollow point.

So I dont know about the claims that they are never shot with hollow points, and I see no law against it.

Re: Hollow points for deer? [Re: bloodofbambi] #41713 12/17/05 02:40 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Welcome to The Forum.

Not real sure what your little game is here, really don't care, and I am sure a lot of the other members are gathering the popcorn, and asking why I am going to get into this.

Now I want to address your statement about Guess leaving the forum. Well, it bothered me when it happened, because he addressed his last response on here at me.

Well Sir, I went back and looked at all of the 5 pages of posts on that topic, Guess made a total of 2 posts on the subject, 1 giving information, and then the second, packing his toys and leaving. There were a total of 5 posts, that were made in response to the 2 Glenn made.

Now I met Glenn, both at the Predator Posse Rendezvous in Haskell in May, and again out at our first try at a get together at the Grasslands in June. He is a very interesting and seems to be a really nice fellow.

Then, over a topic such as this, he makes all kinds of statements about folks sticking together to beat the anti-hunting element, then calls all of us whiners, packs his toys and runs.

Now if anybody wants to check the accuracy of anything I am saying, haul your butts back and look over all the posts. A majority of us I believe, agreed with the killing of the cats, even said that we would have done the same. We just didn't think that the pictures were appropriate.

Now the thing that has me baffled, which I reckon is not that hard to do, is that 257heaven and mark3, who were being reamed about the deal, stayed and took the heat.

I think all of us enjoyed Glenn's posts and the pictures that came with them. So why did some one get that pissed, at a subject that they had just made one post on. Glenn seems like a really great person, and I feel bad about his leaving the forum, but I feel that this place just wasn't hard core predator hunting enough for him, and he was about ready to leave anyway.

This is the TEXAS HUNTING FORUM, not one of the predator hunting forums. Folks on here like to hunt anything they can, and that is why all of the topic areas have activity going on at all times.

If I would have got mad the first time someone disagreed with me and said I was leaving the forum, 2 things would have happened, a lot of folks would have been happy, and I would never have made my third post.

This is supposed to be a place to have fun, and sometimes that means that not everyone is going to agree on a subject.
I will say one thing, and maybe I am the only one that has noticed it, but our arguements on here are a little cleaner in the language department.

Well, I think I have said too much, and B.O.B., I am going to call you that cause I won't speak the last part of your screen name, not even in private, I do welcome you to the forum. There are a lot of really nice people on here, and they do have a wealth of really good knowledge about hunting.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide