Print Thread
Anyone else receive an email from the White House? #4152740 03/28/13 09:48 PM
F
Friction Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
I got mine around noon, but just took a glance at it.

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: Friction] #4152778 03/28/13 09:59 PM
F
Friction Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
F
Dear XXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective. From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family. I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation. Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage. Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one. Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale. Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown. We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas. I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence. These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence. And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act. As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away. First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban. We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people. But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers. Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love. We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit www.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: Friction] #4152805 03/28/13 10:11 PM
Q
Quack Whacker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
I guess I don't rank. I didn't get one but then again, it might not have made it through the BS filter on my email.

Jesus Christ is Lord!
He is risen!
Genesis 9:2-3
Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: Quack Whacker] #4152919 03/28/13 11:19 PM
D
ditchdigger2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Got that one a few days ago, nice to know THEY (care)!

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: ditchdigger2] #4153510 03/29/13 03:30 AM
A
Aquaman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
It's crap. He doesn't care about the 2nd amendment.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt
Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: Aquaman] #4154635 03/29/13 07:44 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
He can't even patronize you without insulting your intelligence. The only thing a letter from him is good for is as TP for your bunghole.

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: Dragonuv] #4154639 03/29/13 07:45 PM
T
thebowfisher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Bunch of BS!

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: thebowfisher] #4155004 03/29/13 11:27 PM
T
TheLefthander Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Got mine today. Thought it was (finally) a response to a letter I had sent out months ago to my Reps, Senators, etc. They all responded reasonably quickly. I truly despise and distrust this man, and this from someone who actually gave Carter and Clinton the benefit of the doubt. Has to be the most dishonest person to ever be in the White House.

Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: TheLefthander] #4155034 03/29/13 11:51 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I true believe he is America's worst enemy. And am internal terrorist.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: notamtchance] #4155115 03/30/13 12:38 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm sorry, but the line about if we can save one life ticks me off. I know this sounds heartless, but would stripping away all American's rights, and defiling the constitution really worth it to save one life?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Anyone else receive an email from the White House? [Re: TFF Caribou] #4155987 03/30/13 03:26 PM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Criminals will always break the law. If they would just enforce the laws we already have it would help some. Way more than any law to disarm a law abiding citizen.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide