I dont see why not. scratch

Re: Black Talon [Re: JCB] #4133558 03/20/13 05:02 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Winchester bowed to hysteria when they pulled it from production. There was no legal basis for its discontinuance.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Black Talon [Re: RiverRider] #4133721 03/20/13 06:27 PM
N
Naruto Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I think a better variation then the black talons are Federal HSTs. They mushroom out and perform slightly better than black talons with similar claws pattern but their copper looking instead of black since their not Lubalox coated. The claws expand out to about 1 inch diameter too and will do some damage no doubt. I use them for my 45 ACP.

Last edited by Naruto; 03/20/13 06:31 PM.
Re: Black Talon [Re: Naruto] #4133968 03/20/13 09:04 PM
L
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Yes, talons are perfectly legal, and highly overpriced. Get the SXT's (Same Xact Thing) instead.

Re: Black Talon [Re: Naruto] #4134009 03/20/13 09:30 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Naruto
I think a better variation then the black talons are Federal HSTs. They mushroom out and perform slightly better than black talons with similar claws pattern but their copper looking instead of black since their not Lubalox coated. The claws expand out to about 1 inch diameter too and will do some damage no doubt. I use them for my 45 ACP.

While I do agree that the HST are just as good (if not better) than the Talons, the HST does not produce the claws (or "talons") that the Black Talon does. In fact it doesnt produce any claw or talon what so ever.

Here are a couple I tested for refrence. Take a look at the claws or "talons" on the end of each petal of the Black Talon. The HST petal just peels straight back with no claw or "talon" on the end of the petal.

Re: Black Talon [Re: JCB] #4134549 03/21/13 01:33 AM
K
kidde Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
My tests looked exactly like yours. Win Ranger SXT's preform for me just like Talons, except no Black. I've put them through sheet metal and they still open the same. Winter type clothing, two pullovers and a heavier jacket plugged the nose more often than not, leaving me with a FMJ. Cold weather makes me change to 185+P's Cor-Bons. They expand when they hit air, or so it seems to me.

Back to your question, they are legal but, while none of us ever wants to find out, in court they may color the image of our intent if used.

Live right. Do right. Demand the same in others.
Screw off. Lie and cheat. Have no regard for the actions of others.

You tell me which takes, and ultimately makes, a Man.
Re: Black Talon [Re: kidde] #4134735 03/21/13 02:41 AM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: kidde

Back to your question, they are legal but, while none of us ever wants to find out, in court they may color the image of our intent if used.
Yeah, I've heard that more than a few times. Also, how one shouldn't carry reloads. That was attributed to Massad Ayoob, no?

Not flaming you, but I call BS on that. One might as well say that a .44 Magnum is excessive force since LEOs don't carry anything that potent in a handgun.

If you were justified and conducted yourself responsibly, the incident should never make it to trial, anyway. Self-defense ammunition is by design intended to do gross damage.

Core-Lokt:The deadliest mushroom in the woods
Re: Black Talon [Re: JCB] #4134919 03/21/13 04:20 AM
N
Naruto Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted By: JCB
Originally Posted By: Naruto

While I do agree that the HST are just as good (if not better) than the Talons, the HST does not produce the claws (or "talons") that the Black Talon does. In fact it doesnt produce any claw or talon what so ever.

Here are a couple I tested for refrence. Take a look at the claws or "talons" on the end of each petal of the Black Talon. The HST petal just peels straight back with no claw or "talon" on the end of the petal.

Your right, not sure what I was thinking but HSTs would be pretty devastating on flesh.

Re: Black Talon [Re: kidde] #4134922 03/21/13 04:22 AM
N
Naruto Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
My tests looked exactly like yours. Win Ranger SXT's preform for me just like Talons, except no Black. I've put them through sheet metal and they still open the same. Winter type clothing, two pullovers and a heavier jacket plugged the nose more often than not, leaving me with a FMJ. Cold weather makes me change to 185+P's Cor-Bons. They expand when they hit air, or so it seems to me.

My local police carry HSTs, if its good enough for them, then good enough for me if I had to go to court for some reason.

Re: Black Talon [Re: Naruto] #4135003 03/21/13 06:30 AM
S
strummer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I carry black talons in my cc .

Re: Black Talon [Re: strummer] #4135207 03/21/13 12:49 PM
R
Road Dawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I like the speer gold dot

Re: Black Talon [Re: Road Dawg] #4135227 03/21/13 01:03 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Unfortunately, I've seen what a FMJ does to human flesh and bones. Never under estimate the round you are carrying.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Black Talon [Re: janie] #4138537 03/22/13 06:09 PM
K
kidde Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Re-read what I wrote. It would only apply if you were arrested or sued. A prosecutor trying to make a name for himself could say what he wants, if you can't hire a better attorney than him it could make a difference. Remember DA's are elected. In Austin, Houston or another more liberal ciy an agenda of gun control could hurt. If something happened accidentally with your gun an ambulance chaser could paint you as someone who wanted to take life by using "extra" deadly ammo. To most of us this doesn't hold water, but to those ignorant of what's happening the best attorney makes a bigger impact than the truth.
Before you call BS look at our current federal government. 10 years ago we all would have called BS on what has happened. In court the truth means little, your rights mean almost nothing. I'm not saying it's certain, only possible.
Paul

Re: Black Talon [Re: kidde] #4139549 03/23/13 01:36 AM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Re-read what I wrote. It would only apply if you were arrested or sued. A prosecutor trying to make a name for himself could say what he wants, if you can't hire a better attorney than him it could make a difference. Remember DA's are elected. In Austin, Houston or another more liberal ciy an agenda of gun control could hurt. If something happened accidentally with your gun an ambulance chaser could paint you as someone who wanted to take life by using "extra" deadly ammo. To most of us this doesn't hold water, but to those ignorant of what's happening the best attorney makes a bigger impact than the truth.
Before you call BS look at our current federal government. 10 years ago we all would have called BS on what has happened. In court the truth means little, your rights mean almost nothing. I'm not saying it's certain, only possible.
Paul
I did read your post; you qualified it. This is all prepositioned upon "what ifs" that will not hold up under the light of logic. I could counter with a well-designed bullet or magnum caliber might lead to less rounds fired, thus mitigating a bad situation.

Has there actually been a case where the potency of a round was an issue? More to the point, a bigger concern than the legitimacy of the shot(s)?

God forbid anyone needs to use a gun out of defense for themselves/property/others. But if one does, I'm sure the righteousness of ones' actions will decide if it goes to trial. And should it, I'm even more certain the charges will be more than enough to act upon without tangential distractions like bullet design.

Again, I'm pointing out the flaws in those notions that started elsewhere; you're merely reiterating them in a cautionary sense.

Re: Black Talon [Re: Core-Lokt] #4139826 03/23/13 04:30 AM
K
kidde Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Your argument is valid. My supposition is based on watching from the jury box as a home improvement store was sued. The case revolved around a ladder for sale that a customer used in store and was hurt. The signage did not say not for use in store. I was an alternate juror and not allowed to decide. The injured party's attorney painted the store as evil and uncaring, while only out to make money. The fact that he used an extension ladder vertically and tipped backward had no bearing, only the lack of warning.
My opinion is based on my observations, I pray none of us ever know. We just need to watch the national gun debate to see it is about appearance not performance.
And my thoughts are unchanged. Should it make a difference what you use? Never. Will it? No one can say.

Re: Black Talon [Re: kidde] #4139847 03/23/13 04:50 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Winchester SXT

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Black Talon [Re: janie] #4139870 03/23/13 05:16 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: janie
Unfortunately, I've seen what a FMJ does to human flesh and bones. Never under estimate the round you are carrying.

How is your son doing? I hope and pray all is going well.

The old ammo debate will never end. There are a lot of people deceased from a 22. And yet still people scoff at 9mm. Oh well......

Re: Black Talon [Re: kidde] #4140097 03/23/13 12:20 PM
Core-Lokt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Your argument is valid. My supposition is based on watching from the jury box as a home improvement store was sued. The case revolved around a ladder for sale that a customer used in store and was hurt. The signage did not say not for use in store. I was an alternate juror and not allowed to decide. The injured party's attorney painted the store as evil and uncaring, while only out to make money. The fact that he used an extension ladder vertically and tipped backward had no bearing, only the lack of warning.
My opinion is based on my observations, I pray none of us ever know. We just need to watch the national gun debate to see it is about appearance not performance.
And my thoughts are unchanged. Should it make a difference what you use? Never. Will it? No one can say.
Roger that. I think the best thing to take from stuff like this is to keep up with news/laws/trends. I think this is most relevant WRT gun control in that bullet type may never be called into question but another pre-emptive ban like the original Black Talon "cop killers".

Re: Black Talon [Re: Core-Lokt] #4141017 03/23/13 09:25 PM
22_mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
just carry what you want and hope like hell you do not have to use it!!!!!

Eddie Whitefield
Re: Black Talon [Re: 22_mag] #4206431 04/23/13 03:42 PM
N
norm762 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I agree. There are a lot of premium self defense loads that will work fine.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide