Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gumbo [Re: Octopiston] #4110218 03/09/13 05:33 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Octopiston
Haven't tried it yet, but I've been told about browning the flour in the oven to reduce the time it takes to make roux.

Same principle, but with microwave roux you don't even need to brown first. Just microwave the oil and flour in 1 minute intervals and whisk in-between until the roux is the color you want.

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4116500 03/12/13 02:55 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
So Ben, how did it go? Harder than you thought, easier than you thought?
What roux method did you go with? I still supercurious if someone else can confirm Bluesman's miracle method because I'd like to switch to that.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4116593 03/12/13 03:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I sure like gumbo but never cooked it and dont really have a drive to... ill be the judge and taste test yals though smile

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Gumbo [Re: Octopiston] #4119775 03/13/13 10:45 PM
B
BubbaBrown Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I've been cooking gumbo's for 45 years and I like a dark, thick, gumbo. I make my own roux and have used Savoy's Roux too, It depends on whether I have a deer to skin or not. This recipe has won some trophies, so it should be good if you can cook.

BUBBA'S DUCK & DEER SAUSAGE GUMBO (Camp Size) Serves 12
Ingredients and Pot
Large cast iron pot is the best (I use a 9 quart Dutch oven)
8 small ducks, or 4 big duck, or (chicken and smoked sausage, you can also use rabbits, coots, or squirrels, it’s all about what you have on hand, this is poor people food)
2-3 pounds of venison sausages, cut into 3/8” slices (or whatever kind sausage you like or have on hand, some people aren’t good deer hunters)
4 large onions, chopped
2 large bell peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
2 packs of frozen Okra (optional, okra will also thicken the gumbo. Some like it, some don’t, I do.)
Cajun seasoning, season to taste (I use Tony Chacere’s Cajun Seasoning for everything)
Roux, 1 cup oil and 1 cup of flour (make it yourself or use Savoy's Roux)
Large pot of rice (I usually cook 4 cups of rice for our crew, that’s 8 cups of water, 4 cups of long grain rice)
File' (Whole Foods has it in Texas or any store in Louisiana)
Cooking Instructions
1) Cut the ducks in half and cut the sausage into slices. Cook your onions, garlic, bell peppers, and meats all together in your Dutch oven and set aside when it’s ready. I like the meat well browned and the onions, garlic and bell peppers are caramelized.
2) Prepare you roux in the cast iron pot, heat until bubbling. (You can make your own roux in the cast iron by putting in equal parts oil and all-purpose flour. It’s like starting gravy, cook the roux until it's the color of an old penny. I always have several onions, chopped and set aside to add to the roux to cool it down, to stop cooking it. The roux will burn quickly if you don’t watch it closely.)
3) When the roux reaches the right color, remove it from the fire, then add the onions and stir it to cool it off and stop cooking.
4) Put the pot with the meat, onions, garlic, bell pepper that you cooked earlier back on the fire and bring it back to a boil, add the roux, stirring frequently.
5) Add some boiling hot water as need to the mix. Add enough water to thin down the roux. Add as much or as little as you like, but I start with about 2 qts. to start. I like my gumbo thick, so I add more water sparingly, but if you have unexpected guest, add more water and make more rice!
6) Bring the whole thing back to a boil, then lower the fire and let simmer for an hour.
7) Taste the gumbo on occasion to test the seasoning. Add seasoning as you need for your taste.
8) I don't make it too pepper hot, because some people can't take it. You can always add more on your own serving. (Cayenne pepper is tough on old people with gastritis and the kids, be nice)
9) Serve over rice. Some people like a lot of rice, some like just a little.
10) Sprinkle a little of file' on the top. (file' is ground up, dried sassafras leaves, used by Native Americans as a thickener, it’s a unique taste)
We always like to serve the gumbo with baked sweet potatoes with plenty of butter on them and warm French bread, “Live for today, for tomorrow you may diet!”
Bon Appetite!
Ken Ledbetter
AKA BubbaBrown

Last edited by BubbaBrown; 03/13/13 10:49 PM.

USMC 1970 - 1972 MOS 6064
Cajun Outdoors Pro-Staff
Re: Gumbo [Re: BubbaBrown] #4120850 03/14/13 02:03 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
bubba ... at what point do you add the okra when using it?

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4121919 03/14/13 11:13 PM
T
Texican Ben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
What roux method did you go with? I still supercurious if someone else can confirm Bluesman's miracle method because I'd like to switch to that.

Things have become a bit un-stuck lately so I'm hoping to get to it when I'm back in town.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
J.R.R. Tolkien
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4148743 03/27/13 05:35 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Well??? Has anyone tried the microwave roux yet??

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4148759 03/27/13 06:22 AM
F
frognot Online Happy
Pro Tracker
Online Happy
Pro Tracker
F
Lotta good looking recipes. Have been using Karey's or Tony C's roux but will try the microwave recipe the next time gumbo is made.

When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible.
Dale Earnhardt
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4150163 03/27/13 08:47 PM
C
ChiefDanGeorge Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Not a bad post for a redneck. Making a roux from scratch is a labor of love that I wont give up. Having said that, store bought turns out pretty good too. Use your own stock, lots of trinity and garlic, and any kind of critter you like goes in the pot. Dont overcook the shrimp if you use them, add file powder at the very end, and a little Tabasco on top for a tasty meal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide