Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gumbo #4097073 03/04/13 12:05 AM
T
Texican Ben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Alright guys (and ladies), I'm looking for a good gumbo recipe.
Bring em on!

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
J.R.R. Tolkien
Re: Gumbo [Re: Texican Ben] #4097100 03/04/13 12:20 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here they come. You can speed up the process by using store bought roux. You can mike duck and sausage gumbo in thirty minutes, with boned duck, onions, celery, sausage, and store bought roux.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4097193 03/04/13 01:12 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Gumbo is my all time favorite food..Mom worked in a very large New Orleans Rest. during the depression and learned to cook Seafood Gumbo right..Blue Crab fat for the rue, shrimp, crabs, oysters, and onions and okra, and tomatoes..ect..and Filet..One of the ladys at Medina Lake here used to cook for the Gumbo Cookoff and put a filet or two of catfish in hers and it was fine. I never acquired a taste for what we called "Trash" Gumbo
or N. La. Gumbo w/sausage, squirrels, chicken ect..it's all good,
I just got ruined on Moms. and her Choc. 4 layer cake and Banana
Pudding..DD

Re: Gumbo [Re: Texican Ben] #4097835 03/04/13 06:09 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
My personal gumbo recipe. It has taken me a number of years to get this recipe just the way I want it. This is the best gumbo I have ever eaten, even if I do say so myself.

1C oil & 1C flour. Put in microwave in one minute intervals – whisk in between- until roux at color you want. Put about ½ in big pot. Add:
2 large onions, chopped
5 to 6 ribs celery, chopped
3 to 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped

Put all in pot and cook in roux until tender.

Make stock from shrimp shells, heads, etc. Boil with 3 or 4 cups of water. Add stock to pot. If you don't have shrimp shells, heads, etc.., add a couple bottles of clam juice.

Add below to taste – some measurements are estimates depending upon taste.
2 cans rotel tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can diced or stewed tomatoes
3 or 4 bay leaves
2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or ¼ tsp powdered cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoon dried oregano ( mexican is best)
2 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoon granulated onion
3 or 4 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
5 beef bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons salt I suggest holding until after bouillon cubes added and tasting first.
1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped (if available)

Use additional roux to thicken gumbo. Don't be afraid to make some more roux if you want it even thicker.

Cook all above for about 20 minutes. Then add:
1 pound cut okra, frozen (If you fry the okra first it will cook off the slime)

Cook above about 10 minutes. Then add (seafood is to your choosing):
1 or 2 pounds shrimp
1 pound scallops
1 pound fish of your choice
any other seafood you want to use

Use additio

Cook 10 minutes and serve.

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4098572 03/04/13 04:58 PM
T
Texican Ben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
That looks pretty good!

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
J.R.R. Tolkien
Re: Gumbo [Re: Texican Ben] #4099159 03/04/13 09:33 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like mine to look more on the brown side, rather than red.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4099332 03/04/13 10:45 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Two distinct styles of gumbo and cooking in general in Louisiana. Cajun and Creole. Being from the Lafayette/Breaux Bridge area myself, I am partial to cajun. I like creole, but when I cook, I cook Cajun. Anytime you start putting tomatoes in gumbo, you're going Creole style. Good food, I was just never taught to cook that way and I haven't had a need to experiment with it.

Gumbo to me is an event, and you can't make it in 30 minutes or even a couple of hours. To do it my way, you'll invest half a day at least. I've tried writing it all down and giving the recipe to other people, but it never comes out right and tastes like crap when they feed it to me, so I don't even do that anymore. Makes me look like a bad cook even though someone else obviously flubbed up my recipe. smile

I have basics I use when making gumbo, but when I'm cooking, and am a few beers in, you never know what might make it in the pot. But it's always good. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4100346 03/05/13 05:53 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
And by what flash of brilliance did you determine that my recipe "looks" red. Ignorance and know it all must certainly be bliss for you.

Last edited by bluesman; 03/05/13 05:53 AM.
Re: Gumbo [Re: Gumbeaux] #4100351 03/05/13 06:01 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Each to their own. I prefer it with tomatoes. They cook down and add lots of subtile flavor. I have personally found that without a fish stock or clam juice in it you loose a lot of the base flavor.

Store bought roux = yuck!!!barf

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4100386 03/05/13 08:47 AM
H
Huntsmanda Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe

1/2 jar ready-made roux*
64 oz. chicken stock
8 oz. water

• Stir roux into chicken stock and water over low/medium heat until dissolved.

*You can make your own roux with flour and vegetable oil if you have a couple hours to stand around and stir or you can spend a couple of bucks on ready-made. Rajun Cajun, Larry's, Douget's are all pretty good.

2 small/medium onions
2 medium bell peppers
4/5 stalks celery
3 bay leaves
3 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cayenne pepper

• Finely chop onions, bell peppers and celery and add to roux/stock. Bring to boil for 5-10 minutes, reduce heat and add bay leaves, salt and cayenne. Simmer on low for 1/2 hour.

2 sausage links*
4 chicken breast*
Slap Your Momma creole seasoning (salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic powder)

• Brine chicken in salt water for up to 24 hours ahead of time, pat dry and add Slap Your Momma seasoning. I use my deer sausage for the links. BBQ/grill/smoke sausage links and chicken breast. Cut into small pieces.

• Add sausage to gumbo mix. Save chicken on side for later. Cook for one hour.

4 tsp. paprika
3 tsp. garlic powder
1.5 tsp. pepper
1.5 tsp. onion powder
1 heaping tsp.oregano
1 heaping tsp. thyme

• After one hour, add cut up chicken, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano and thyme. Simmer on low/medium for another 30 minutes or longer. The longer the better.

Ladle gumbo onto a bed of white rice in a large bowl… Grab crackers or garlic bread, and a spoon. Add chopped green onions and file powder if desired. Enjoy. Save some for later - it's even better the second day.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4100661 03/05/13 02:06 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bluesman
Each to their own. I prefer it with tomatoes. They cook down and add lots of subtile flavor. I have personally found that without a fish stock or clam juice in it you loose a lot of the base flavor.

Store bought roux = yuck!!!barf

And each can have their own without name calling. Have you ever tried store bought roux?

[Linked Image]

Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4100737 03/05/13 02:28 PM
T
txd33rhunt3r Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Ours always has squirrel ducks oysters shrimp okra sometimes goose and an occasional dove breast or two has found its way in. We don't use store bought roux but also never tried it. This is my grandma's recipe from north of shreveport

Re: Gumbo [Re: txd33rhunt3r] #4101284 03/05/13 05:57 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
we get a smoked turkey for xmas every year which I use to make turkey and sausage gumbo a couple of times a year.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Gumbo [Re: bigbob_ftw] #4101645 03/05/13 08:19 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
we get a smoked turkey for xmas every year which I use to make turkey and sausage gumbo a couple of times a year.

I just had a bowl of that for lunch, cept it was not smoked. I I buy the five dollar turkey, bone out the breast, freeze the dark meat, and make gumbo with it later. I also, boiled the bones to make my stock, picked off the meat, made soup and turkey salad from that.

I think I ate for a full month off that turkey. The soup was hot and sour, with turnips from my garden.

[Linked Image]

Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4103079 03/06/13 04:23 AM
D
DaleGribble Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
not a big fan of store bought roux

Gun's don't kill people. The Government does.

I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennessee walking horse that was looking at me funny.
Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4103144 03/06/13 05:05 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
OR - you can READ MY RECIPE THIS TIME and and find out how to make perfect roux in about 5 to 7 minutes using the microwave.

Store bought roux - for those who don't know how to make real roux - yuck!!!! barf

Re: Gumbo [Re: bill oxner] #4103148 03/06/13 05:06 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Didn't see any name calling. Perhaps you need to get your glasses checked???

Store bought roux - yuck!!! barf

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4103193 03/06/13 05:55 AM
12buckaroo Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Real, slow cooked roux is always evident in the taste. Just like store bought spagetti sauce. Some people think prago is fine Italian. The real fat boys know the difference. Can't rush certain things.

Re: Gumbo [Re: Huntsmanda] #4103772 03/06/13 03:46 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
As a self professed foodie and general fat man who works and eats a bunch in Louisiana AND makes his own gumbo too, I have the following comments:

1. Bluesman's recipe is more of less what I do with some variations in flavoring choices. As for flavor profiles, I think what he has a great place to start.
2. If you don't make ruoxes often or ever, I would start with a store bought roux. It's not the easiest thing to do and certainly very easy to mess up. Then you've wasted all this time and not to mention oil and flour. Homemade roux is noticeably better and to me once you get everything else to a point where you like it, developing your roux will just take it over the top. But I highly suggest developing the flavor profile that you and your family like first (spice level, amount of herbs, thickness, etc.). Foods like this that take time and a labor love should be personalized to you and yours. Otherwise, just go to a restaurant.
3. I almost always make more roux than I need and set some off to the side. Good insurance policy. Once again, this comes back to how you want your gumbo to be. just like all other good classic dishes of any kind, there are variations and some really good tips to follow.
4. Use a big heavy bottomed pot. It will help your roux not get really hot in certain places and burn. The trick to roux is toasted, not burnt.
5. SAFETY NOTE: not sure if you know this already but adding liquid to a roux can be dangerous. It boils over hard and fast so be cautious. I take it off the heat and ladle slowly and stir with oven mits on.
6. I buy only whole shrimp and peel it myself to use the heads and shells like it was suggested. It will make a difference. It added a seafood depth that most people notice but don’t know who you get it.
7. Barely cook your seafood. Lately, all I do is once I’m ready to add seafood, I bring it to a bard boil, add all the seafood while still on high heat, let it come back up to a boil, and then shut off the heat. The residual heat will cook it thoroughly and the letting it set there will help absorb flavor without over cooking. I usually let it set off the heat for like 30-40 minutes while I clean up. Because of the consistency of the gumbo, setting off heat for 30 minutes will not cool it down. Then again, for me it goes back to using a heavy, cast iron, ceramic coated pot.
9. Being Korean, I’m a huge garlic snob. I put tons of garlic in the initital aromatics phase with all the celery, onions, etc.
10. I like some spicy smoked sausage in mine. I put it in with the seafood because if you put it in too early, the sausage pieces will lose all its flavor into the juice. It’s good for the juice but it makes for some bland sausage bits. Besides, if all is done right then the juice should stand on its own. To me, sausage should be a delicious meaty goodness garnish.
11. It should be ever so slightly on the saltier/spicier side if you plan on serving with rice. While on the topic, use long grain rice. I don’t think you can find much else in American grocery stores, but no short of medium. I would avoid Jasmine too. it’s long grain so it’s the right texture, but Jasmine rice tends to have flavor that to me doesn’t jive with gumbo well.

Good luck.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4105552 03/07/13 03:17 AM
T
Texican Ben Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Thanks guys. I know what we'll be dong this weekend!

J.R.R. Tolkien
Re: Gumbo [Re: Texican Ben] #4105665 03/07/13 04:03 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
If you guys will just try the microwave roux in my recipe one time I guarantee that you will be absolutely amazed. I got the technique from a gentleman who goes by the name "Chef Lefty". Guess where he was from? Hint, hint, hint - somewhere south of lake Pontchartrain. Guess where he worked - can you say 5 star, French Quarter.

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4106174 03/07/13 02:33 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Bluesman, I tell you what, I'm defintely going to give it a try. it sounds much less laborour than our method of wooden spoon and patience. But now that I think about it, making the roux is usually my job and it's a great drinking beer activity.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Gumbo [Re: Korean Redneck] #4106649 03/07/13 05:48 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Bluesman, I tell you what, I'm defintely going to give it a try. it sounds much less laborour than our method of wooden spoon and patience. But now that I think about it, making the roux is usually my job and it's a great drinking beer activity.

exactly, it's part of the fun. cept last time. splashed some up on my hand and got 2nd degree burns. the stuff is like napalm.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Gumbo [Re: bigbob_ftw] #4108135 03/08/13 04:56 AM
B
bluesman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Sounds like a pretty dang good reason to use the microwave to me!!

Re: Gumbo [Re: bluesman] #4108486 03/08/13 02:09 PM
O
Octopiston Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Haven't tried it yet, but I've been told about browning the flour in the oven to reduce the time it takes to make roux.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide