Print Thread
Best Patterns from the Bench #4076938 02/23/13 02:17 PM
H
Hunter Gatherer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
I wonder if some of you who do a lot of bench shooting could help me as a hunter. Occasionally I like to see what my rifle can do with different loads. I don't do precision shooting with bull barrels, etc. and normally I use factory ammo. I'm completely a hunter and not a bench rest shooter. So, my questions:

Can you get consistent patterns from a lead sled?
Are sand bags the best for reducing human error in shooting from the bench?
What do you guys use for bench shooting?

Again, this is bench shooting from a hunter's standpoint and not a precision shooter.

Thanks!

Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #4077024 02/23/13 02:57 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Axis Rancher
Can you get consistent patterns from a lead sled?

Could you shoot a 1/4" group from a sled- sure. But I have found that sleds will vary your point of impact (POI) from the sled to your shoulder. If your rifle shoots 2" groups at 100 yards off the lead sled, I doubt you will notice a difference. If you rifle shoots sub moa, then you should see a difference. Your shoulder will absorb the recoil more, causing the shot to impact slightly higher (normally). So, shoot your rifle how you will shoot it in the field. IMO, loose the lead sled. It causes more problems than solves. Sure, it will help save your shoulder from recoil, but that's about it.

Originally Posted By: Axis Rancher
Are sand bags the best for reducing human error in shooting from the bench?

IMO, yes. I use a sandbag in the rear and either a bipod or sandbags in the front. I will NOT use a bipod on a hunting rifle that is unbedded. I will also not use a bipod on a hunting gun if the stock flexes at all on the forend. If the rifle is unbedded or if the stock flexes when using a bipod, you will get movement during the shot, which will effect the consistancy or accuracy of the rifle. I will build up a front sandbag position and shoot it off of the sandbags. It will provide the most solid platform to shoot from. If you want to get even more accurate, go prone on the ground. I shoot all my rifles from the prone position.

Also, once I begin shooting a 5 shot group, I do not come off the rifle. I keep the rifle into my shoulder and my cheek on the stock. This will keep your position consistant, and not have any POI changes due to your position. It is all about consistancy, and doing the same exact thing from shot to shot.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: ChadTRG42] #4078823 02/24/13 02:51 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
IMHO, lead sleds are a waste of money. At least for the average Joe.

Use chads setup , maybe use an adjustable front rest if you like.
good ones are $$, bad ones are useless.

one thing Chad did not mention,but likely does - is the rifles postion - without you being on it, or barely on it - ideally should rest on bullseye.

just watch the sling swivels dont interfer and keep the front bag/rest as far back on the stock as possible.

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: timbertoes] #4078836 02/24/13 02:57 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The advice above is sold gold. And if you can follow Chad's advice about staying on the gun, that's good. But...the heavier the recoil, and if it's a bolt gun, that advice is harder to follow. And what timbertoes said about the rifle's position being with crosshairs on target is particularly good advice. If the natural lay of the gun, without you having to wrestle it into position, is on target, you are in best position for a good shot or good group.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #4079100 02/24/13 04:36 PM
P
progunner Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I would have thought the stiffer rest would cause most likely a higher point of impact?

Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #4080105 02/25/13 01:16 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You asked about what the rifle can do, not the shooter, so I'll go out on a limb and say get it strapped down solid to a good rest mounted on a solid bench and use a hydraulic trigger pull. Remove yourself from it as much as possible. Instead of the usual becoming part of the rifle, totally separate yourself and make it a remotely operated robot.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Best Patterns from the Bench [Re: Slow Drifter] #4082710 02/25/13 11:25 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If you are shooting a rifle for groups and to zero and you use
any kind of mech. rest you will most likely have to tilt your head to get to the scope..thereby no centering the scope w/your eyes..I've checked rifles zero'd that way and some were 2 in off
to one side..If your rifles are shooting 1 in groups or better at
100 yds from a bagged rest you should have no problem..Most factory, and many custom weapons will not group factory rounds that tight..You may wish to look at trigger jobs, floating & bedding your actions and bbls..ect..Also make sure you have very
clean weapons. Most only do a fair job and use Hoppes ect which will not get most of the copper out..works mainly on powder and lead..Don

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide