Forums46
Topics538,648
Posts9,739,521
Members87,100
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question about African safaris [Re: TEXAS TRAVELER] #4071533 02/21/13 02:22 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Guys you really don't understand or appreciating the size. Lets say you are "free range" hunt SE of Frederickburg on a 1000 acre ranch. But is that really "free range"? There is HWY 290 the north about 7 miles away. And there is HWY281 to the east around 10 miles, and I-10 to the south 15 miles. These three highways completely enclose a triangle area and the area next to the roadways in this area are virtually fenced in. There are walls, chain link, office building, and even a few game fences.

So, thinking the way you are, ANYONE hunting in the area is not free range hunting. The experience is bogus because the animals are "trapped" behind the "fence"!! See how ridiculous that is? That - hopefully - will give y'all an appreciation if the size/scale of the HF in Africa.

Secondly, the HF places DO NOT supplemental feed. That is a big deal over there. The area are kept like preserves, kept completely natural. No water, feed, etc. They are very proud and serious about that.

Third, it is NOT put-and-take hunting. While there may be some small hobby ranches of a few thousand acres that do that, no respectable PH is going to be involved in that. In fact, I THINK that PHASA rules prohibit it.

Fourth, while some outfitters over there are beginning to hunt from "hides" (blinds) and even some are doing the unthinkable of hunting water holes - most stay true to what they refer to as a "proper hunt".

Fifth, most land owners have strict rules and ethics and refuse to have animals on their property that are not natural to the area. It only makes sense, since they don't feed, water, or manage (in the Texas) sense - if the species is not natural to the area, it probably won't survive or flourish.

Sure, there are some outfitters over there with "small" hobby ranches of 3000 acres who stock put-and-take, hunt from blinds, feed and water, etc. and offer cheap hunts. Just like there are "marginal" outfitters like Thompson Temple or the Wildlife Ranch here in Texas.

But when you discount ALL of Africa hunting because you hear "high fence" and prejudge all the PHs, low fence ranches, gigantic preserves - its akin to equating Thompson Temple to the Chittam Ranch. Or saying most of Texas hill country is high-fenced (which is true) and saying anyone hunting the hill country is unethical because the animals are trapped by fences, cities, towns, highways, etc.

It makes me really upset and angry to hear folks - who have NEVER been - sit atop their high moral horse and discount Africa hunting with smug satisfaction all because the words "high fence".

I GARANTEE you, if you ever did a proper hunt in Africa - even on a 100,000 acre preserve - you will realize that hunting on your little puny 500 acre section/part of your "free range" lease in Texas, from a stand or tripod, over a food plot or corn feeder that the animals have learn to pattern - is the lazy unethical hunting - not HF hunting in Africa.

I get sick when I watch a TV hunting show and they show some Africa hunt and the dude are sitting in blind, hunting over a water hole, with clearly hay thrown out, and you see all sorts if animals show up. I SCREAM at the TV "That's NOT Africa!!!" What a huge misconception, fraud, and disservice they putting on the public. It's not what the Africa experience is all about.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4071763 02/21/13 03:36 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
To give you another perspective on size. Lets say you put a fence up on the south side of I-10 all the way from Katy to San Antonio. On the south border, you fence from Katy to Halletsville, then west up through Gonzales, swinging south of Seguin, and join up with the north fence at San Antonio.

That fences in about 8000 sq miles. Takes you about 3 hours to drive the north border at 60mph.

That is the size of one of the preserves in Africa.

Get the idea of scale now?

OK, that is one of the largest. Too large to comprehend? Try this one.

Fence north side of I-10 from Kerrville to Comfort. Then up 87 on the west side to FredericksBurg. Then down 16 to Kerrville. That is about the size of one of the "HF Ranch" we hunted on. At 60mph, it'll ONLY take you about 30 minutes to travel one side of the ranch. OK, now drive halfway on 87 between Comfort and Fredericksburg. Get out of the truck, and WALK back SW to Kerrville looking for animals, and when you run across the tracks of specific animal, follow those tracks until you find the animal. That will give you a fair approximation of a typical proper hunt we did in Africa. Repeat for 10 days.

In that 10 days, your goal is to stalk and shoot : (1) a Whitetail 150" or better, (2) an Axis at least 30", and (3) a boar hog with cutters of at least 6".

THAT would be a good approximation of a African safari. No problem? Animals don't have a chance! You are "going to get your animal". Not free range so it is easy and no challenge, right? Just like shooting fish in a barrel. And of course, it doesn't come near to the challenge and difficulty of sitting in your heated box blind and popping a good whitetail that comes to your feeder 80 yards away, does it?

Last edited by John Humbert; 02/21/13 03:38 PM.
Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4071782 02/21/13 03:42 PM
B
bhtkevin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Guys you really don't understand or appreciating the size...

I think you are mistaking me for someone who cares how you choose to hunt. I really dont care, that is you personal choice. If you think the reasons you listed are valid, then go for it. My choice is more of out what I feel Africa should be in my heart, and that doesnt involve fences everywhere. Because of that, I will avoid South Africa when I go. Thats a choice I can freely make and you can rant all you want, its not going to change my mind. Ask me in 30 years, I might have changed my mind.

Last edited by bhtkevin; 02/21/13 03:47 PM.
Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4072217 02/21/13 05:46 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Guys you really don't understand or appreciating the size. Lets say you are "free range" hunt SE of Frederickburg on a 1000 acre ranch. But is that really "free range"? There is HWY 290 the north about 7 miles away. And there is HWY281 to the east around 10 miles, and I-10 to the south 15 miles. These three highways completely enclose a triangle area and the area next to the roadways in this area are virtually fenced in. There are walls, chain link, office building, and even a few game fences.

So, thinking the way you are, ANYONE hunting in the area is not free range hunting. The experience is bogus because the animals are "trapped" behind the "fence"!! See how ridiculous that is? That - hopefully - will give y'all an appreciation if the size/scale of the HF in Africa.

Secondly, the HF places DO NOT supplemental feed. That is a big deal over there. The area are kept like preserves, kept completely natural. No water, feed, etc. They are very proud and serious about that.

Third, it is NOT put-and-take hunting. While there may be some small hobby ranches of a few thousand acres that do that, no respectable PH is going to be involved in that. In fact, I THINK that PHASA rules prohibit it.

Fourth, while some outfitters over there are beginning to hunt from "hides" (blinds) and even some are doing the unthinkable of hunting water holes - most stay true to what they refer to as a "proper hunt".

Fifth, most land owners have strict rules and ethics and refuse to have animals on their property that are not natural to the area. It only makes sense, since they don't feed, water, or manage (in the Texas) sense - if the species is not natural to the area, it probably won't survive or flourish.

Sure, there are some outfitters over there with "small" hobby ranches of 3000 acres who stock put-and-take, hunt from blinds, feed and water, etc. and offer cheap hunts. Just like there are "marginal" outfitters like Thompson Temple or the Wildlife Ranch here in Texas.

But when you discount ALL of Africa hunting because you hear "high fence" and prejudge all the PHs, low fence ranches, gigantic preserves - its akin to equating Thompson Temple to the Chittam Ranch. Or saying most of Texas hill country is high-fenced (which is true) and saying anyone hunting the hill country is unethical because the animals are trapped by fences, cities, towns, highways, etc.

It makes me really upset and angry to hear folks - who have NEVER been - sit atop their high moral horse and discount Africa hunting with smug satisfaction all because the words "high fence".

I GARANTEE you, if you ever did a proper hunt in Africa - even on a 100,000 acre preserve - you will realize that hunting on your little puny 500 acre section/part of your "free range" lease in Texas, from a stand or tripod, over a food plot or corn feeder that the animals have learn to pattern - is the lazy unethical hunting - not HF hunting in Africa.

I get sick when I watch a TV hunting show and they show some Africa hunt and the dude are sitting in blind, hunting over a water hole, with clearly hay thrown out, and you see all sorts if animals show up. I SCREAM at the TV "That's NOT Africa!!!" What a huge misconception, fraud, and disservice they putting on the public. It's not what the Africa experience is all about.

To give you another perspective on size. Lets say you put a fence up on the south side of I-10 all the way from Katy to San Antonio. On the south border, you fence from Katy to Halletsville, then west up through Gonzales, swinging south of Seguin, and join up with the north fence at San Antonio.

That fences in about 8000 sq miles. Takes you about 3 hours to drive the north border at 60mph.

That is the size of one of the preserves in Africa.

Get the idea of scale now?

OK, that is one of the largest. Too large to comprehend? Try this one.

Fence north side of I-10 from Kerrville to Comfort. Then up 87 on the west side to FredericksBurg. Then down 16 to Kerrville. That is about the size of one of the "HF Ranch" we hunted on. At 60mph, it'll ONLY take you about 30 minutes to travel one side of the ranch. OK, now drive halfway on 87 between Comfort and Fredericksburg. Get out of the truck, and WALK back SW to Kerrville looking for animals, and when you run across the tracks of specific animal, follow those tracks until you find the animal. That will give you a fair approximation of a typical proper hunt we did in Africa. Repeat for 10 days.

In that 10 days, your goal is to stalk and shoot : (1) a Whitetail 150" or better, (2) an Axis at least 30", and (3) a boar hog with cutters of at least 6".

THAT would be a good approximation of a African safari. No problem? Animals don't have a chance! You are "going to get your animal". Not free range so it is easy and no challenge, right? Just like shooting fish in a barrel. And of course, it doesn't come near to the challenge and difficulty of sitting in your heated box blind and popping a good whitetail that comes to your feeder 80 yards away, does it?

John,

If you keep up with my posts on this forum at all....you will clearly understand I have absolutely no problem with high fences, exotic hunting, etc... I have done a lot of it.

However, your last two posts above have been somewhat exaggerated, and do not depict hunting in South Africa accurately.

First of all, there are roughly 9,000 privately owned game ranches in South Africa....with the average size being about 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres). That is a nice size chunk of bush....with plenty of room for animals to offer great hunting experiences, but that is a far cry from the 5 MILLION+ acre "preserve" you referred to. As far as I know there is no single piece of land anywhere in South Africa that is even close to that size. Hell even Kruger National Park isn't that big!!

There are also places that supplemental feed in RSA. I would say that isn't "the norm" necessarily....but you can't simply say that it doesn't occur.

There is also a lot of put-and-take hunting in RSA. I have no idea if it is prohibited by PHASA or not, but it happens on a regular basis.

And while there are some huge ranches where they spend all day walking/tracking/glassing etc...that is definitely not "the norm" on your average game ranch in South Africa. Most hunts are conducted by driving around until game is spotted at a distance, and then a stalk is planned. Nothing at all wrong with that....that's just how it is done.

I have no clue where you get the idea that landowners don't introduce non-indigenous species to their properties in South Africa. There are literally HUNDREDS of ranches that do this....where do you think all the Red Lechwe come from?? Lechwe were not indigenous to any part of South Africa.

.....now with all of that said....

I completely understand your frustration, and just like you, I also get a little pissed off when I hear someone talk about how "easy", "unfair", or "trapped" animals are when hunting behind a high fence. It doesn't matter whether you're on this side of the big pond, or in Africa....high fences are simply a management tool and, when used properly, do not make hunting any less challenging or sporting. But like in any industry, there are always a few bad apples....and we can't pretend they don't exist.

I think most people understand that large fenced properties are still a blast to hunt, and offer completely fair-chase hunting experiences. I just don't think it's necessary to exaggerate how things really are....and try to make it sound like every game ranch in South Africa is going to resemble Teddy Roosevelt's safari in East Africa a hundred years ago. Those days are long gone, and will never return. Let's just embrace the way things are done nowadays and support it.

I don't want you to think I'm trying to discredit your argument....not at all!! I am on your side, and agree with your position....just not the way you presented it.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Eland Slayer] #4072314 02/21/13 06:17 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Wade, I was trying to make a point. smile

Kruger, with the new annex, is roughly 8000 sq miles, up from 7600
(Sabi Sands addition - no fence anymore) and a lot of the bordering fences to preserves bordering Kurger have been removed to incorporate them in Kruger.

Yes, there are more and more "small" areas under fence, and a lot of them are indeed put-and-take. But talk to the big outfitters over there and you will get an earful on what the prevailing opinions are on doing that. smile

I'm sure I will never convince some people - and my responses were not aimed at the previous posters. Of course they are entitled to their opinion and be guided on what is in their hearts. I respect that.

Rather, I was trying to point out counter opinions to the thousands that read these posts. I am sad to think some will never experience Africa because of ignorance and prejudice anytime the word "high fence" is used. I would find it a great tragedy if someone read these posts - by folks who have never been there - and decide not to go because they think the hunting is easy, unfair, unethical, and the animals are trapped.

There are many who have notions and opinions like the previous poster. Ideas fostered by a lack of appreciation having never been there.

You see, I have heard MANY people who of that opinion who go to Africa and come back with a complete 180 on their position. Most really. I only say "most" because I have NEVER heard of ANYONE going there feeling that way and come back feeling the same. NEVER - but maybe there is somebody.

Most folks who make the trip come back in such awe of the wide open spaces, the wild and wooly nature, and the beauty of the country that they vow to return as soon and as much as possible. Africa gets under your skin, and you have to BE there to understand.

Many come back and say "Gee, I really never noticed a fence once we entered. Very common statement.

Trying to convince people with the "high fence" judgements based upon their limited experience in Texas is like trying to explain rainbows to earthworms. I should stop trying I guess and be happy that I have had the experience.

Sure, there less than optimal ranches over there that offer "canned" hunts. But that doesn't mean they are ALL that way, nor even the majority. You can book a safari and never hunt anything but LF properties - especially for certain species. You can make the hunt as wild and tough as you want. Most of the well known outfitters have concessions on MANY concessions across the entire country. If you wanted a totally free range hunt for 60" kudu, you can book it!! Heck, I'll refer you to my PH!! We did!!

The point being is that anyone who is turned off of Africa because they have preconceived notions if HF everywhere and garanteed hunts on easy, trapped animals is missing the hunting experience of a lifetime. And I hate to see some assmaster convince people due to these misinformed prejudices.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4072336 02/21/13 06:25 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Wade, I was trying to make a point. smile

Kruger, with the new annex, is roughly 8000 sq miles, up from 7600
(Sabi Sands addition - no fence anymore) and a lot of the bordering fences to preserves bordering Kurger have been removed to incorporate them in Kruger.

Yes, there are more and more "small" areas under fence, and a lot of them are indeed put-and-take. But talk to the big outfitters over there and you will get an earful on what the prevailing opinions are on doing that. smile

I'm sure I will never convince some people - and my responses were not aimed at the previous posters. Of course they are entitled to their opinion and be guided on what is in their hearts. I respect that.

Rather, I was trying to point out counter opinions to the thousands that read these posts. I am sad to think some will never experience Africa because of ignorance and prejudice anytime the word "high fence" is used. I would find it a great tragedy if someone read these posts - by folks who have never been there - and decide not to go because they think the hunting is easy, unfair, unethical, and the animals are trapped.

There are many who have notions and opinions like the previous poster. Ideas fostered by a lack of appreciation having never been there.

You see, I have heard MANY people who of that opinion who go to Africa and come back with a complete 180 on their position. Most really. I only say "most" because I have NEVER heard of ANYONE going there feeling that way and come back feeling the same. NEVER - but maybe there is somebody.

Most folks who make the trip come back in such awe of the wide open spaces, the wild and wooly nature, and the beauty of the country that they vow to return as soon and as much as possible. Africa gets under your skin, and you have to BE there to understand.

Many come back and say "Gee, I really never noticed a fence once we entered. Very common statement.

Trying to convince people with the "high fence" judgements based upon their limited experience in Texas is like trying to explain rainbows to earthworms. I should stop trying I guess and be happy that I have had the experience.

Sure, there less than optimal ranches over there that offer "canned" hunts. But that doesn't mean they are ALL that way, nor even the majority. You can book a safari and never hunt anything but LF properties - especially for certain species. You can make the hunt as wild and tough as you want. Most of the well known outfitters have concessions on MANY concessions across the entire country. If you wanted a totally free range hunt for 60" kudu, you can book it!! Heck, I'll refer you to my PH!! We did!!

The point being is that anyone who is turned off of Africa because they have preconceived notions if HF everywhere and garanteed hunts on easy, trapped animals is missing the hunting experience of a lifetime. And I hate to see some assmaster convince people due to these misinformed prejudices.

Agreed!! up

I can't wait to make my way over there....soon hopefully!!

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Eland Slayer] #4072361 02/21/13 06:32 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Let's go Wade!

The way I have been feeling lately with stuff going on, I could go tomorrow - need to be back in the bush for my sanity.

Just give me 2 hours to pack!

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4072383 02/21/13 06:40 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Fun with numbers....

If there are 9000 private game ranches with an average size of 7500 acres, that means:

(a) More than 4500 ranches are LARGER than 7500 acres

(b) If 500 stock non-indigious game, that is less than 6% - meaning over 94% do not - more than 8400 ranches do not.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4072607 02/21/13 07:48 PM
B
bhtkevin Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I am actually trying to decide between Azerbaijan Dagestan Tur hunt this year or Namibia plains game... the cost is a wash, just depends on what you are looking for. I keep saying I should do Tur because its a good motivator to work out and it will be very hard when I am older, but Africa is calling.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: bhtkevin] #4072728 02/21/13 08:36 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: bhtkevin
I am actually trying to decide between Azerbaijan Dagestan Tur hunt this year or Namibia plains game... the cost is a wash, just depends on what you are looking for. I keep saying I should do Tur because its a good motivator to work out and it will be very hard when I am older, but Africa is calling.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh okay....I saw your post recently on Accurate Reloading on this very subject. Namibia definitely gets my vote...no question about it.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: John Humbert] #4072741 02/21/13 08:41 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Fun with numbers....

If there are 9000 private game ranches with an average size of 7500 acres, that means:

(b) If 500 stock non-indigious game, that is less than 6% - meaning over 94% do not - more than 8400 ranches do not.

Haha....not really. laugh The occasional 50,000 acre and 100,000 acre properties skew the numbers a lot. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the ranches in South Africa are under 10,000-15,000 acres (which is still very large compared to most ranches in Texas).

Also, I believe there are WAAAAAAY more than 500 of them that stock non-indigenous species.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: bhtkevin] #4072760 02/21/13 08:46 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
BHTKevin,

I'll say this about both scenarios you can pick a side on your own.

Azerbaijan (which I have never been to, but spent a great deal of my life in Turkey and Afghanistan) is probably the single greatest mountain hunt in Asia for the under $10,000 price point.

It's also the spoke of regularly as the toughest mountain hunt in the world. A tur is a wonderful trophy, but I don't think you should go unless they offer you more than 1 ram, and you can afford to take more than 1. As you might not want to do it again. But more importantly the cost of the hunt is enough that an extra trophy fee or two isn't going to break the bank on todays prices. Tur hunting will get more expensive, and may close.

Namibia is a system of game ranches, I enjoyed my Namibia safari immensly. The PH I hunted with was crap, and we fought everyday. Africa as an experience was amazing, and while I am sure that Ajierbaijan will be amazing, it won't be Africa amazing.

Namibia is more bang for the buck, but saying that Ajerbaijan is a mountain hunt.

Mountain hunts are special, anywhere you take them, they may not offer the experience of African safari relaxation. And you will kill yourself for 25 inches of horn, but that goat(goats) will be worth more to you than the kudu you shot 200 yards from the truck, even if he is 60 inches.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Eland Slayer] #4072767 02/21/13 08:49 PM
A
axismaster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Fun with numbers....

Haha....not really. laugh The occasional 50,000 acre and 100,000 acre properties skew the numbers a lot. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the ranches in South Africa are under 10,000-15,000 acres (which is still very large compared to most ranches in Texas).

Also, I believe there are WAAAAAAY more than 500 of them that stock non-indigenous species.

What's the full list of non Indigenous game in South Africa?

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: TEXAS TRAVELER] #4072796 02/21/13 09:02 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Let me assure you the high fence does not make any difference in the wildness of the animals. If the HF makes any difference it is in the numbers of the animals. Herds of Red Hartebeasts, wildebeasts, gemsbok and even kudu with 20-50 head means 50 or so pair of eyes watching and believe me they know when you are in their danger range but they will not be there long. Our trip to Namibia in 2011 was a tough hunt and we were hunting upwards of 200K acres.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: axismaster] #4072839 02/21/13 09:22 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: axismaster
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
Fun with numbers....

What's the full list of non Indigenous game in South Africa?

Many of the "non-indigenous" animals being referred to are only non-indigenous to certain areas of the country. For instance, Gemsbok are not indigenous to the KwaZulu Natal province....but there are still ranches that stock them there. The same goes for Nyala....they are not indigenous to Western Cape, but some landowners still stock them there (there are even a couple places in Namibia with Nyala). That is how it is with many different species in South Africa.

Other species such as Lechwe, Fallow Deer, Scimitar Oryx, etc... are considered "exotics" to the entire country.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Eland Slayer] #4073145 02/21/13 11:04 PM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Oryx safaris has:

Mouflon, Nubian Ibex, Tahr, Arabian Oryx, Scimitar Horned Oryx, hog deer, axis deer and a few others.

They even have some bison and cape buffalo in the Kalahari.

Kind of like having bison in the Mojave desert.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: TEXAS TRAVELER] #4073226 02/21/13 11:43 PM
P
Pacontender Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I have been four times, and have never been guaranteed a specific animal. I was guaranteed opportunities, but not the animal itself. Cat hunts are especially not guaranteed. We were in a great area in Tanzania for lions this past summer, and only one of four in our group killed one. Everyone killed good leopards.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: TEXAS TRAVELER] #4073247 02/21/13 11:52 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Been over 6 times, and done a number of different hunts from Tanzania concessions to Tx-style fenced ranches in RSA. My opinion is that you take what Africa gives you, and that's the joy of hunting there. Some of my very best African trophies are animals that I wasn't seeking out or hadn't even thought about taking till I got over there. I also have several that I have been trying for on almost every trip and haven't gotten.

On a side note saying 'African hunting' and lumpping it all together is like saying 'North American Hunting' and lumpping it all together. There's as wide a spectrum of opportunities as you'll find anywhere in the world. Some hunts are highly specialized chasing one or two species, and many more are very generalized with a laundry list of opportunities - great thing is there's an opportunity for every hunter's preferences.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Txnrog] #4073265 02/22/13 12:03 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
To me the little canids are a big draw. I got a African wildcat and a neat skunk in 2005, and I'd like to get the foxes, an aardwolf and more than anything a civet.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Roo Basher] #4073268 02/22/13 12:04 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Heck I'd rather have a civet than a leopard.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Roo Basher] #4073313 02/22/13 12:25 AM
A
axismaster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
Oryx safaris has:

Mouflon, Nubian Ibex, Tahr, Arabian Oryx, Scimitar Horned Oryx, hog deer, axis deer and a few others.

"Arabian Oryx, Scimitar horned Oryx"

Great way to pollute the Native gemsbok herds..

Great,

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: axismaster] #4073411 02/22/13 12:59 AM
R
Roo Basher Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Does anyone tell you what type of taxidermy to buy for the wall, why would you tell someone what to raise on their ranch?

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: axismaster] #4073446 02/22/13 01:11 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: axismaster
Originally Posted By: Roo Basher
Oryx safaris has:

"Arabian Oryx, Scimitar horned Oryx"

Great way to pollute the Native gemsbok herds..

Great,

Settle down champ.....there are only a few places with those species, and they are kept safely behind a fence. Good lord.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Eland Slayer] #4073525 02/22/13 01:35 AM
P
Pacontender Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
This is what makes Africa exciting.

Re: Question about African safaris [Re: Pacontender] #4073666 02/22/13 02:19 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Pacontender
This is what makes Africa exciting.

Awesome! Beautiful guns too! Don't think I'm quite ready for a daggar boy yet, want to make one more trip for some plains game - then I'll be ready.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide