Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4039589 02/10/13 05:37 AM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
Oh, Wait.....not saying people dont need training and it doesnt help.

BUT, I can see you have an Agenda.

Carry on.

rolleyes

Shane

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4039789 02/10/13 11:20 AM
L
Land_Man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Superduty
Originally Posted By: Bombay from TFF
The only problem with open carry is weapon retention. What's to keep the bad guys from simply walking up behind you and jerking your smoke wagon out of your flimsy piece of kydex? I'm a life long NRA member and love the 2nd amendment but guns need to stay concealed unless you are properly trained to hang onto it during battle. My $.02

Blackhawk Serpa.

Not too many people know exactly how to use them. Plus they also have a resistant retention.

With your rational.....whats to keep ANYONE from grabbing a LEO's gun?

It happens I know,...but not much differance.

Shane

Resistant retention only means there's pressure holding the gun in place. I was a LEO for 4 years and everybody I knew carried either a level 2 or level 3 weapon retention holster. That means there are two or three things holding the gun in place. With even the most basic level 2 holster you couldn't walk up and jerk it out unless you knew to rock the pistol back then straight up. And since you had it secured on a massive belt, if somebody came up and a really tried to take all you had to do was drop your right elbow over it and it prob wasn't coming out.

My point is that is states allow open carry they need to either require some type of security holster or require weapon retention training.

In this pic below, how could this woman possible retain her weapon if somebody tried to take it? There's nothing holding it in place except for the strength of the holster. This is exactly the problem. She can't see the gun, isn't aware of her surroundings and its essentially an unsecured weapon.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Land_Man] #4040004 02/10/13 03:02 PM
P
Piper354 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I like the OC law just because I won't have to worry TOO much about printing and gives more holster options. Do not have CC now, going to class next week. But it seems to give me more options for carrying without breaking law. Especially in the summer when it will be harder to completely conceal in summer clothes.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Land_Man] #4040036 02/10/13 03:15 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
She needn't worry. She's built for speed.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: J.G.] #4040335 02/10/13 05:08 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Wait, has there been a big rash of open-carry guns being taken away from their owners in O.C. states or something? I've only heard of one case nationwide, but there may be more.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4040359 02/10/13 05:18 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If someone trying to grab a handgun was much of a problem Police officers would still be wearing "Clamshells"...I'd much prefer seeing a weapon, because I don't always get a warm and fuzzy feeling w/some folks who have one, plus there are those who carry
concealed that seem to have become somewhat bulletproof and get into problems that they would have walked away from w/out the added courage on their hips..and that's my 2cents..DD

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4040775 02/10/13 08:56 PM
ItusTactical Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Carry on.

rolleyes

Shane

If you mean by "agenda" that our goal is to convert as many Unconscious Incompetent people walking around not knowing what they don't know into Conscious Competent gun owners then ABSOLUTELY.

I'm sure you're a complete expert though...

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: blackcoal] #4040943 02/10/13 09:39 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
wtf eek2

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: chital_shikari] #4041075 02/10/13 10:41 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
popcorn

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Piper354] #4041414 02/11/13 12:50 AM
P
progress4m Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: Piper354
I like the OC law just because I won't have to worry TOO much about printing and gives more holster options. Do not have CC now, going to class next week. But it seems to give me more options for carrying without breaking law. Especially in the summer when it will be harder to completely conceal in summer clothes.

X2 on that!

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: ItusTactical] #4041536 02/11/13 01:19 AM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted By: ItusTactical

Carry on.

rolleyes

Shane

If you mean by "agenda" that our goal is to convert as many Unconscious Incompetent people walking around not knowing what they don't know into Conscious Competent gun owners then ABSOLUTELY.

I'm sure you're a complete expert though...

I was referring to your signature link website.

scratch

Shane

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4041983 02/11/13 03:03 AM
ItusTactical Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I know. Our focus as a training company is

1. Employing veteran soldiers and giving them an awesome job out of the military.
2. Giving citizens solid training to help them defend themselves and their families to the best of their ability.

We just want people to be better equipped. The more equipped everyone is, the safer we all are!

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: ItusTactical] #4042116 02/11/13 03:40 AM
P
Paul Sonnier Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
We moved to Alaska in 83, when I was in the 8th grade. I moved back to Texas in 93. My Parents still live in Alaska, and I can tell you, it's like a whole different world:):):) almost like Texas on Steroids.. but with the equal, "Hey, I'm from Alaska Pride, and I'm and ALASKAN!!!" kinda like we have here in Texas!
(( although Ray Wiley Hubbard has not made a song yet, that says, "Screw You, Were from Alaska!" )) hahahaha!

But with that being said, it seemed more of a convenience back then, to have a side arm, ( open carry ) and make a run into town, to the store, and never take it off...

Here in Texas, I would not carry open, 99% of the time, but if I was out hunting, shooting, etc, and had the holsters strapped on, would be nice, to not "Have" to take it off...

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: blackcoal] #4047121 02/12/13 05:51 PM
L
Loden Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I would like the option to open carry, doesn't mean I would all of the time, but I feel like I should be able to if I want to .

Texas CHL Instructor
TCLEOSE Firearms Instructor
Cherokee County 4-H Clay Crushers Coach
Master Mason - Euclid Lodge #45

"Perfect practice makes perfect"
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Loden] #4047488 02/12/13 08:11 PM
D
DSessom Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I live in Oklahoma, and we now have Open carry (since Nov 1) but I honestly have only seen one person openly carrying since November 1st and that was just a few weeks ago.

D. Sessom
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: DSessom] #4047693 02/12/13 09:09 PM
T
Texasbdog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I went to Michigan last summer and they have open carry, I saw no one doing it and my friend that lives there says she never sees it either.
I hope it passes here in Texas though, it would be nice to be able to oc while at deer camp and going back and forth to town.

" What lies behind you and what lies before you are of little consiquense when compared to what lies within you"
R.W.E.
Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: theserxtremedays] #4047907 02/12/13 10:25 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
I wouldn't mind having the option, but I would prefer to cc, I'd rather people not know when I am carrying.

That's my thought. I'd prefer to CC, but if I felt the need, I'd like to have the choice of Open Carry.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4047930 02/12/13 10:31 PM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J

Blackhawk Serpa.

Shane

What a P.O.S. choice for a holster.....

Oh, and We've been trained to retain our weapon. We're also always aware of our gun side and protecting it....

I'll continue to CC off duty, because its the intelligent thing to do.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: JWP58] #4048165 02/12/13 11:45 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: JWP58

Blackhawk Serpa.

Shane

Oh, and We've been trained to retain our weapon. We're also always aware of our gun side and protecting it....

This, all of it. Well said.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Land_Man] #4049427 02/13/13 12:43 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
The only problem with open carry is weapon retention. What's to keep the bad guys from simply walking up behind you and jerking your smoke wagon out of your flimsy piece of kydex? I'm a life long NRA member and love the 2nd amendment but guns need to stay concealed unless you are properly trained to hang onto it during battle. My $.02

Blackhawk Serpa.

Not too many people know exactly how to use them. Plus they also have a resistant retention.

It happens I know,...but not much differance.

Shane

Resistant retention only means there's pressure holding the gun in place. I was a LEO for 4 years and everybody I knew carried either a level 2 or level 3 weapon retention holster. That means there are two or three things holding the gun in place. With even the most basic level 2 holster you couldn't walk up and jerk it out unless you knew to rock the pistol back then straight up. And since you had it secured on a massive belt, if somebody came up and a really tried to take all you had to do was drop your right elbow over it and it prob wasn't coming out.

My point is that is states allow open carry they need to either require some type of security holster or require weapon retention training.

In this pic below, how could this woman possible retain her weapon if somebody tried to take it? There's nothing holding it in place except for the strength of the holster. This is exactly the problem. She can't see the gun, isn't aware of her surroundings and its essentially an unsecured weapon.

Regardless of the level of retention, how many attempts were made on officers? How often were you in line at starbucks when someone just thought they would just grab at your firearm.

The best thing to do(in my opinion) is to educate the public on the best kind of retention to have on an open carry gun. Not tell them the LAW requires them to have a certain kind of holster. As an LEO, do you want to go around having to stop citizens to do "retention checks" Oh snap, this one does not match your idea of level 2 retention, now you have to arrest someone... To me that just seems like more trouble than it's worth,and makes general law abiding public have to worry about something they should not have to.

I'm not the biggest fan of Open Carry, but that's for myself, I think people should still have the choice. It would be rare that I would exercise open carry, but I again the choice is what I want.

No disrespect here, just giving my view on the matter.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: JWP58] #4049780 02/13/13 03:15 PM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"

Blackhawk Serpa.

Shane

Instead of bashing,...educate..MASTER. What is he best holster out there,IYO for a 1911,Clock. I use the blackhawk serpa with finger retention and it is an AWESOME choice....tell me wht it isnt...besides a bash, I can learn.

Here ya go,

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2012/02/09/b...ean-bad-design/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/09/12/usmc-adopts-blackhawk-serpa-holsters/

Shane

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4050422 02/13/13 06:14 PM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I dont really give a crap what garbage the USMC got for the lowest bid, nor do I care what some "sheepdog" has to say.

Get a quality kydex holster such as a Raven Concealment, or a quality hybrid such as a Crossbreed. Carry concealed and you dont have to worry about retention levels.

First off, the release button on a serpa is tiny. Have you ever had to draw your weapon in a high stress situation? That little button is going to be fun to find. Fine motor skills go out the window, you need something that requires gross motor skills. Secondly, the release button is activated by your TRIGGER FINGER. It would be very easy in a rushed situation to continue your release press and make contact with your weapon's trigger (just ask that fat moron tex whatever that blasted himself in the leg with his 1911 while drawing from a serpa). Thridly, what happens when that little button doesnt work???? Bend over?

If i were to carry a level three holster I would probably go with a Safariland with a THUMB activated retention hood. Its much easier and quicker to operate than the serpa "push button"

But since I would never open carry unless on duty, I'll continue to use my previously mentioned options.

By the way, people go for LEO's weapons more than you probably realize. Many LEO's are killed with their own weapons. The number would probably much higher for the avg. joe that doesnt have weapon retention training, or a mindset to protect their weapon side.

Bottom line is, the serpa is junk. Use at your own risk. I know I would not put my life on one.

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: JWP58] #4051372 02/14/13 12:11 AM
Superduty Offline OP
"The Regulator"
OP Offline
"The Regulator"
I dont really give a crap what garbage the USMC got for the lowest bid, nor do I care what some "sheepdog" has to say.

Get a quality kydex holster such as a Raven Concealment, or a quality hybrid such as a Crossbreed. Carry concealed and you dont have to worry about retention levels.

First off, the release button on a serpa is tiny. Have you ever had to draw your weapon in a high stress situation? That little button is going to be fun to find. Fine motor skills go out the window, you need something that requires gross motor skills. Secondly, the release button is activated by your TRIGGER FINGER. It would be very easy in a rushed situation to continue your release press and make contact with your weapon's trigger (just ask that fat moron tex whatever that blasted himself in the leg with his 1911 while drawing from a serpa). Thridly, what happens when that little button doesnt work???? Bend over?

If i were to carry a level three holster I would probably go with a Safariland with a THUMB activated retention hood. Its much easier and quicker to operate than the serpa "push button"

But since I would never open carry unless on duty, I'll continue to use my previously mentioned options.

By the way, people go for LEO's weapons more than you probably realize. Many LEO's are killed with their own weapons. The number would probably much higher for the avg. joe that doesnt have weapon retention training, or a mindset to protect their weapon side.

Bottom line is, the serpa is junk. Use at your own risk. I know I would not put my life on one.

Thank you for your opinion.

I'll file it as needed.

Be safe out there.

Shane

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Superduty] #4052262 02/14/13 05:26 AM
Mr Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
whip

Re: I'm shocked....open carry. [Re: Brother in-law] #4052522 02/14/13 01:47 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
The scared and paranoid?
Bingo!

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide