HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Written review is below the video, for those who are opposed to reading wink

Video First Look Review - Pulsar Digisight n750

Pulsar Digisight N750 Digital Riflescope

Date: February 8 & 9 2013

Objective: The objective of our first look at this scope is to determine if the new feature set enhances or detracts from the experience out in the field. The goal is to broaden the consumer knowledge base through a written and video review so that a well informed purchase decision can be made.

Product: Pulsar Digisight N750 - The second version released for consumer use to the United States by the global optics company which operates as part of Yukon Advance Optics Worldwide. The scope is manufactured at a factory in the Republic of Belarus with initial product release occurring throughout European areas ahead of U.S. importation. This version of the scope shares many qualities with the former version of the digisight model (N550) however many new features have been implemented such as: A micro OLED display rated at 640x480 pixels / built-in invisible laser illuminator with graduated power output / 1.5x digital zoom via push button design / multi-colored aiming reticle (dot) set within a T-bar hunting reticle.

So here we go then...

Type of Review: First look / Field test

The scope ships with the weaver rail mount (picatinny) separate from the scope housing so proper tools will be necessary to mate it with the weapon platform. I chose to use a set of 4 AA rechargeable batteries which install into their compartment at the bottom rear of the scope. The battery compartment and cap are robust with a knurled screw type fitting, be advised that swapping and changing batteries with the scope mounted on the weapon will take some time and patience due to clearance of scope housing to gun stock. Once the scope was mounted I used the "one-shot zero" feature at a short distance of 20 yards to ensure proper windage and close elevation coordinates. I then set the target out to 100 yards and performed another one-shot zero procedure for final zero calculations. The user manual does a good job of outlining the steps for zeroing the scope and states that each adjustment of the reticle will cause a 1/2 inch shift at approximately 100 yards.

Night 1: 50 degrees, no wind, sky clear (starlight).

The scope is capable of operating without adverse effects in daytime conditions, there is no need to use a pin-hole cover on the front objective like other types of night vision scopes. The display of the N750 renders a realistic image during daylight in black and white with a slight hue of brown colortones. Using the scope during the day takes some getting used to as your brain and eye conform to the scopes digital representation of targets / foliage / wildlife. Cycling between a red and green dot in the center of the reticle is really all about personal preference. Dialing down the screen brightness and pressing the contrast button on the side of the scope will help to deter washout of the image. An accurate shot can certainly be achieved with the scope during the day however the fluidity of the image and fine details of resolution will leave some wanting for more, especially those accustomed to traditional day optics or viewing digital images on high-definition screens.

As dusk gave way to night I sat in anticipation for the sky to become fully dark, I purposely sought a night with no moon as I felt it would present the most challenging environment through which to judge the scope's capabilities. The first night's setup involves 4 hog decoys placed at ranges varying from 100, 150, 200, and 250 yards. The decoys provide a consistent method of evaluating the scopes ability to focus and render an image through it's large front objective set at a 4.5x fixed magnification. The scope's base image without illumination was useless, the feeder light could faintly be seen in the display however with no moonlight the scope couldn't render any discernable image surrounding the feeder pen. The display frame rate with no illumination in these conditions is very low which requires a sure rest to minimize movement of the scope in hopes of taking an ethical kill shot. I quickly moved to initialize the onboard laser illuminator which is activated via the power switch (rotary design), stage 1 added enough illumination at 100 yards to eliminate the display frame rate studder while stage 2 and 3 gave an output that now made identification and shot placement possible at the further distance targets. I was absolutely thrilled with the performance of the laser illuminator coupled with the OLED display on a moonless night. I could clearly make out the head and rear of the 250 yard hog decoy and with the added bonus of a push-button 1.5x digital zoom I would have confidence in taking a shot, safely! I must mention as a downside that when using the laser illuminator a "screen door" effect occurs on the display screen and representatives with Pulsar confirm that a diffuser causes the speckeled image. This condition is a result of safety requirements for eye safe lasers however external sources of illumination do not cause the same issue so that is good to know.

As we set to wrap up for the first evening a shot opportunity arose, at 200 yards a white tail rabbit was checking out the scraps we laced the trail with. Using a sandbag from within the hunting blind and with little to no wind I was able to place the shot with ease on target, surely a credit to the scope's ability to present a fine and detailed night time image.

Night 2: 45 degrees, wind gusting 15 - 20 mph, overcast high humidity

Hog decoys were set out at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards in a cultivated field that we have taken many hogs on in the last few years. Being that we hunt from a stand overlooking the field it is very possible that shots will be taken at extreme distances.

Applying the same approach of starting without illumination and then running up to stage 3 on the laser illuminator it became apparent that the max range is near 250 yards under no moonlight conditions. While the targets at 300 and 400 yards could be recognized as dark objects they wouldn't be able to be identified between a calf / hog / deer thus it wouldn't be expected that a shot be taken in this scenario.

Conclusion and what's ahead:

I am impressed with the n750 digisight scope, I believe Pulsar has a winning product that is versatile and affordable with regards to other technologies on the market. I certainly would recommend the product and would encourage buyers to research this and other reviews and/or contact an authorized dealer to ask questions related to pricing and availability.

Stay tuned to this thread for upcoming field reviews of the N750 with external illumination devices and a side by side comparison between the n550 and n750 with a focus on differences between the two.

Of course I certainly look forward to having the opportunity of introducing the n750 to a Big Texas Feral Hog but apparently they were camera shy this weekend.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Bennybone; 02/13/13 06:57 PM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4049447 02/13/13 12:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Thanks for the insights!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4049646 02/13/13 02:27 PM
Doe boy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Benny - Much appreciated! I have just purchased a Recon X550 (with EagleTac T100C2 3.4w IR illuminator) for spotting game. I currently have a flashlight set-up on the gun. I am hoping to go with a Pulsar N550 or N750 for the gun, but I am waiting for this type of analysis before making my decision.

Please keep us updated.

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Doe boy] #4049795 02/13/13 03:20 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Great review! I am going out this week to put the N550 , Recon 550X, N750 , and the Pulsar 940 IR Flashlight side by side to see the improvements. From your video the new IR on the N750 looks much better. If you haven't seen the CVR 640 Mini DVR Recorder its a great little recorder that is made to attach right on the Pulsar Digisight and makes recording a breeze. Also, Pulsar has said they are coming out with an even better IR illumnator this year. Looking forward to that. Thanks for the review!

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Bearclaw] #4050049 02/13/13 04:27 PM
Q
queefeater Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Q
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw
Great review! I am going out this week to put the N550 , Recon 550X, N750 , and the Pulsar 940 IR Flashlight side by side to see the improvements. From your video the new IR on the N750 looks much better. If you haven't seen the CVR 640 Mini DVR Recorder its a great little recorder that is made to attach right on the Pulsar Digisight and makes recording a breeze. Also, Pulsar has said they are coming out with an even better IR illumnator this year. Looking forward to that. Thanks for the review!

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say you sell Pulsar stuff. You sound like an infomercial.

Edit: Good review though Bennybone

Last edited by queefeater; 02/13/13 04:28 PM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: queefeater] #4050351 02/13/13 05:51 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: queefeater

I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say you sell Pulsar stuff. You sound like an infomercial.

Some of these guys just really know their stuff. Some of them probably know more than the dealers since they use them all the time.

Queefeater? Now, thats an unusual name. That sounds kind of gross but hey...to each his own I guess. lol

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: queefeater] #4050393 02/13/13 06:04 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: queefeater

I'm not sure if that was an insult or a compliment, but you're pretty sharp considering I have made a constructive comment on all 2 of your posts. Great second post by the way. Keep em coming, queefeater.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=queef%20eater

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ion#Post3848444

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Dragonuv] #4050397 02/13/13 06:05 PM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
So why was the video removed?

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: jdw] #4050464 02/13/13 06:28 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Video will be up again soon, I fixed some of the transitions. The wife says red on black text was better than white on blue wink

Thanks for the comments guys and no I don't sell Pulsar, I am a hunter and digital enthusiast.

BB

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4051139 02/13/13 10:45 PM
C
cynikaltracker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Great review. I have the 550 and am waiting for your side by side comparison to see if its worth upgrading to the 750. whats the price runnin on the 750?

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: cynikaltracker] #4051420 02/14/13 12:30 AM
Tactical Hog Control - CO Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
MSRP on the N750 is $2399...MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is $1999.97

Clark Osborne
Cottonwood Armory
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
936-348-7493
www.tacticalhogcontrol.com
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Tactical Hog Control - CO] #4051954 02/14/13 03:38 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
While the scope looks nice, I am not sure I am willing to spend that much just yet to upgrade from my N550. Bummer.

I missed it originally when I first saw the video, but the estimate was 250 yards in no moonlight or using no external illuminator to shoot a medium to large feral hog. I won't say this is necessarily wrong, but one of the shortcomings of visual identification is seeing contrast. I noticed some of the white backgrounds on which the black hogs were portrayed blended away to being almost invisible in the (grain? grass?) field. The white background was not of a sufficiently different value than the plants to stand out.

So a dark hog on a dark background or a light hog on a light background or a mottled hog against a mottled background may still blend very well and be very difficult to see at ranges much closer than 250 yards. Even if you spot the animal due to eyeshine or movement, it still may be hard to see well enough to properly sight in on given the stated parameters.

This isn't a condemnation of the review or of the scope, but simply pointing a problem of both regular and digital night vision and assigning yardage estimates. The estimate may be quite reasonable, but also subject to some very real life individual situation shortcomings or benefits, depending on where you are hunting at the time and what the hogs look like.

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4052279 02/14/13 05:37 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Everyone is going to come away having a different conclusion, I appreciate the points you make Double Naught and I ask that everyone feel free to speak their mind regarding the content of the videos.

Also if anyone else records videos with the n750 feel free to add them into this thread. We are just beginning to realize the potential of digital ambient light enhancement and as such we should take a measured approach when gauging its capabilities, especially with regard to a comparison with traditional image intensification technology.

So with that said, the next time I setup decoys for a recording session they will be on a brown background. Furthermore the hogs could be wearing camoflauge but I have some news for them, when I send a massive wave of IR light their way they may as well be wearing my Pulsar reticle on their necks rifle

BB

Last edited by Bennybone; 02/14/13 05:40 AM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4052425 02/14/13 12:40 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, just wait and get us some good footage (if that word is even appropriate anymore) of some real hogs and you shooting them at various distances. You know that is what we really want anyway! banana

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: cynikaltracker] #4055164 02/15/13 05:17 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: cynikaltracker
Great review. I have the 550 and am waiting for your side by side comparison to see if its worth upgrading to the 750. whats the price runnin on the 750?

Link to comparison thread

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4071023 02/21/13 04:37 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

Last edited by Bennybone; 02/21/13 04:38 AM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4156800 03/31/13 01:30 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Hey all -

Well the 6x45 AR and the TorchPro are a very lethal combination. I didn't have time to plug in and initialize the DVR as I rolled up on the hogs upon arrival.

2 more succumb to the n750, here is a photo of the rig and harvest

Again however I had to do a bit of tracking with one, I hit it in or around the head neck area it dropped, squealed for 30 seconds then stood up and walked.

So as planned , a waredrobe change is in order. Going to the 6.5 Creedmoor AR, unfortunately I left the allen wrench for the Torch Pro mount at home so it didn't make the switch.

I setup a silhoutte target at 200 yards and made alot of adjustment to the size of the pinhole allowing light to pass. A small 3mm hole still blooms but it was manageable as I continue to experiment with the idea.

Click Here for Video

I was able to get a respectable 3 shot group and got the work in before the storm blew through.

Will test this configuration out for the next few months.

Happy Easter and Happy Hunting

Last edited by Bennybone; 03/31/13 03:51 PM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4156978 03/31/13 03:16 AM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Ben, I think you were more answering CCoker's comment on seeing with clouds. I swear I could still see something without using sumlight on my 550, more so than my 750. I went out in my backyard, but with city lights, etc., I can see fine with no illumination.

What I would like to see, and maybe i need to watch earlier videos, is clear sky no illumination and moon phases no illumination. i'm going to talk with Pulsar anyways this week, but want to compare against my friends 750 before monday, but he didn't call tonight, so hopefully tomorrow night

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: DavidK] #4157126 03/31/13 05:58 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: DavidK
Ben,

What I would like to see is clear sky no illumination and moon phases no illumination.

This was taken Thursday night, the day of the full moon and a nice clear sky.

Click here for Video - Full Moon NO illumination

Friday night a storm front was blowing in, a THICK blanket of clouds completely blocked out the moon's light, there was zero ambient light. Similar to a new moon phase.

Click here for Video - No moon no illumination / SumLight / Onboard illuminator

NOTE - The digital technology cannot render an image at all without moon/star/ambient light. The digital light amplification feature renders a low frame rate stuttering image, the new laser illuminator on the n750 fills in the details nicely, much better than the n550.

I am blown away at what a difference 24 hrs can make regarding the scope's performance specific to moonlight/starlight conditions.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Last edited by Bennybone; 03/31/13 03:49 PM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4196397 04/18/13 07:24 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I have seen pricing all over the map on these scopes, yesterday they were added to a large National retailers website.

Anyone have any videos to share of your n750 hunts? Post em up!

BB

Last edited by Bennybone; 04/18/13 07:46 PM.
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4235138 05/06/13 02:53 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I picked up a second digisight n750, new pricing makes these scopes the best bang for the buck in the nightvision market in my opinion.

Here are a couple of videos from this weekend.

6.5 Grendel on small varmints. Note - I was recording another shooter sitting next to me in the stand, ignore my reticle. Come to think of it you can't defeat (turn off the reticle) on the n750 like you could on the n550. Which is a bummer.

Link to Video

6.5 Creedmoor on a corn thief. What made this interesting is he was obscured by high grass in front of the feeder. I played "coon fighting" on the FoxPro and it scared the little guy out into the open wink

Link to Video

BB

Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4237232 05/06/13 10:55 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Posted this link in the 550 thread first.
This is the N750 recorded on an old Windoze XP laptop thru a cheap video to USB dongle.

A Raccoon stealing corn from my feeder.
It was 112 yards with my 6.8x43 and 95gr TTSX.
The barrel is 16" long and has a target crown and throws huge fireballs at night...LOL!
The whiteout time is not near as long as the video shows.
I can do a followup shot pretty quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbIvbYe8Jw

Last edited by Vern1; 05/06/13 11:00 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Pulsar Digisight n750 Field Test / Review [Re: Vern1] #4392678 07/16/13 05:01 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
UPDATE:

I added a doubler to the n750, now shooting at 7.65x base magnification and 11.5x with the digital zoom activated.

Read all about it here:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4392658#Post4392658

BB

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide