Forums46
Topics538,278
Posts9,735,190
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #4022802 02/04/13 06:37 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Gestation period for a hog is three months, three weeks, and three days.

What is the gestation period for whitetail deer?

Video of whitetail deer birth embedded at bottom of article….Most whitetail deer (particularly males) mate in their second year, although some females occasionally mate as young as seven months. Bucks are polygamous although they may form an attachment and stay with a single doe for several days or even weeks until she reaches oestrus. Does are seasonally polyestrous and usually come into heat in November for a short twenty-four hour period. If a doe is not mated, a second estrus occurs approximately 28 days later. Mating occurs from October to December and gestation is approximately 6 and a half months (200 days). In her first year of breeding, a female generally has one fawn, but 2 per litter (occasionally 3 or 4) are born in subsequent years. Fawns are able to walk at birth and nibble on vegetation only a few days later.

Last edited by Cool_Hand; 02/04/13 06:47 PM.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Cool_Hand] #4023179 02/04/13 08:37 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I own land in 3 states: Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. The only place that has hogs is Oklahoma and they have done little if any damage (so far). The deer in Kansas and Missouri easily cost me thousands of dollars due to the amount of crops they eat. With this said, I do know a person with a sod farm that gets killed each year with hogs rooting up bugs/worms on his sod. This is due to the irrigation they use to keep the ground moist and the hogs have figured it out. Everyone keeps telling him to put up a fence to keep them out....oh well. Rest assured, they don't do any more damage to his fields than the deer do to mine in Ks and Mo. You should see the measures that have to be done in order to start an orchard in Mo.....those deer will destroy every sapling in a few nights.

Hogs do multiply quicker. I have thousands of pics of hog on my place. It seems they have babies about 3 times every 2 years on my place and it seems about 5 piglets survive to mate on each litter.

For the record, I would rather eat smoked pulled pork over any venison. Not to say that I don't like venison, because I do.

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Pittstate] #4023268 02/04/13 09:20 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
interesting discussion ... my dad raised me to kill under 3 circumstances. 1) going to eat it. 2) you are in danger or its destroying your property. 3) some good will come from it being killed.
some people just get a thrill out of killing ... not my cup of tea but I will leave a hog lay if I don't have room in my freezers or any of my friends freezers if the land owner requests all hogs to be shot.

and a number of years ago a friend of my dad had an over infestation of deer wiping out his crops during non-hunting season, he contacted the TPWD to which they told him he could shoot as many as he wanted but HAD to leave them laying. Laws/rules might have changed since then though...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: coreybasshunter] #4024200 02/05/13 02:57 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Deer are a game, hogs are a pest along the lines of starlings, english house sparrows and grackles..

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: hoof n wings] #4024449 02/05/13 04:19 AM
R
Ryn0522 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I do not let them lay, I drag them to the edge of a field where the coyotes can get them then I shoot the coyotes and let them lay

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: coreybasshunter] #4025740 02/05/13 06:21 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
hogs tear things up known to eat deer and ruin roads and crops, and they multiply like crazy sometimes 2 - 3 breads in a single year with 9 babies at a time. deer breed once a year with 2 at most and die form yotes and hogs. deer taste good most hogs dont. doesent take a hunter to kill a hog takes a little skill to shoot a deer in most places

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #4035938 02/08/13 08:21 PM
J
JRPurvis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
If I kill a large critter, someone is going to eat it. Might be me, might be relatives, might be friends - but it will go in a freezer. If I know that I can't give it away, I'll let it walk. Can't see any difference between a pig and deer, except the pig is usually much better eating. I hunt to eat, not for target practice.

Pigs damage crops, but so do deer. I've gotten more invites to shoot deer that are damaging crops than I have pigs, and have even been told to shoot all the does (in a buck-only county) because of the damage being done.

Deer quality is not measured by antler size
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Octopiston] #4036003 02/08/13 08:47 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Octopiston
Then you have the trash fish like carp and hard heads that people will let lay.

Waste of fish - It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/fish/general.phtml

Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or possesses a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. It is a Class A misdemeanor to fail to retrieve or to keep in an edible condition a whitetail or mule deer, pronghorn antelope, or desert bighorn sheep hunted without landowner consent; from a vehicle, boat, or aircraft; on a public road; at night; or with the aid of a light

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: DonPablo] #4036012 02/08/13 08:52 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: DonPablo
[quote=curt o]Can't farmers legally shoot deer (and let them lie) that are causing depredation to their crops? Last I checked they could.

[

No - Deer Depredation Permit (DMP):

The holder of a permit issued under this subchapter or a person designated by Section 43.154(c)(4) who kills wildlife under the authority of the permit shall dispose of the carcass by donating it to a charitable institution, a hospital, a needy person, or any other appropriate recipient.(b) The permit holder or a person designated under Section 43.154(c)(4) may not keep or sell any part of the wildlife taken under this subchapter, including antlers.

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: kyotee1] #4036020 02/08/13 08:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

Waste of fish - It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.

Waste of Game: It is an offense (Class C misdemeanor) if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit. It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or possesses a game bird, game animal, or fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions of the bird, animal, or fish in an edible condition. It is a Class A misdemeanor to fail to retrieve or to keep in an edible condition a whitetail or mule deer, pronghorn antelope, or desert bighorn sheep hunted without landowner consent; from a vehicle, boat, or aircraft; on a public road; at night; or with the aid of a light

So its not just game fish? Its anyfish taken out of public water right?

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Navasot] #4036201 02/08/13 10:20 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Correct

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Navasot] #4036290 02/08/13 11:04 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Navasot

So quit leaving your buffalo, carp and gar to rot at the boat ramp. And don't dump your mullet out, keep them, fillet them & eat them like a good Cajun should! up

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: rifleman] #4036305 02/08/13 11:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

So quit leaving your buffalo, carp and gar to rot at the boat ramp. And don't dump your mullet out, keep them, fillet them & eat them like a good Cajun should! up

You got any good Cajun recipes you want to share with us?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: stxranchman] #4036312 02/08/13 11:14 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Toss it in the pot o' gumbeaux

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: rifleman] #4036324 02/08/13 11:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Toss it in the pot o' gumbeaux

Let's see them pics then Chef grin
worthless

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: rifleman] #4037465 02/09/13 02:27 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Shooooot no gator gar will be left uncleaned! Things eat good... and i never miss an opportunity for set line bait up Just never payed attention to it... i know plenty of people who have chunked them things in a pile.....never at the boat ramp though. O and I tryed eating a Goo one time..... ill just keep using it for bait....

Re: follow up ethics question for the board??? [Re: Navasot] #4037867 02/09/13 04:46 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Gar are delicious.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide