Print Thread
Chili Recipe #3886873 12/26/12 10:44 PM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Got a hankering for some good venison chili in this cold weather. I have my own recipe that I have used for years but would like to try something different. Anyone have an awesome chili recipe they would be willing to share?

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: CenTex] #3887046 12/27/12 12:05 AM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Try some Morton's chili blend. It has a large and a small recipe.My dad started using the large (12 lbs) in the mid-50's. I use it now.

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: Cool Mo D] #3897676 12/30/12 03:47 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: RobertY] #3897734 12/30/12 04:08 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Mine....

I add beans to stretch it if I am in camp.

“Almost Chili”…..(has beans if you want bulk)

1lb. Meat-your choice (venison, beef, etc.)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 TBS chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. Tobasco sauce (or red pepper sauce of your choice)
1 14 ½ oz. can Hunt’s diced tomatoes w/green chiles
½ cup water
1 16 oz. can of kidney beans if desired

Cook meat, onion and garlic in 3-qt. sauce pan w/2 tbs. olive oil and drain.

Stir in remaining ingredients except beans and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at least 1 hour. Stir occasionally.

Stir in beans and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: Bob in TX] #3897799 12/30/12 04:39 PM
C
creedeman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
1 lb. meat
1 onion chopped
1 can rotel
2 cans tomato soup
1 can kidney beans
1 TBS chili powder
salt, garlic

Brown meat, drain grease.
add onion, chili powder, garlic, salt.
brown till onion is soft.
add soup, rotel, beans
simmer

yum!!!!!

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: creedeman] #3935091 01/09/13 11:02 PM
C
CenTex Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thanks to you all. I will try them all!

Re: Chili Recipe [Re: CenTex] #3937451 01/10/13 04:24 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I don't measure anything, but it sure does turn out good! I like to have a big bowl of three alarm chili for breakfast, especially when it's chilly out. Goes something like this:

Chop a half a pack of Wright's peppered bacon & throw in pot-fry until almost crisp.
Chop a half a pack of V&V sausage & throw in pot.
Chop up a pack of beef (or venison) stew meat & throw in pot.
Dump in a pack of hamburger meat (beef or venison).
Stir meat until all is brown, then drain grease.
Add Worshestershire, a little soy sauce, a little lime juice, minced garlic, chopped 1015 onion, couple serrano peppers, lb or two chopped roma tomatoes, diced sweet tomatoes from a can, tomatoe paste, water, (can add a little beef broth too). Salt, pepper.
I'm not a big fan of beans in my chili, but I do like to dump a large can of Bush's Original baked beans in the pot-try it!
For the last couple years I've been using Carol Shelby's three alarm chili mix from HEB, not bad. Cook on low & thicken if needed.
I like to make a big pot & eat 2 or 3 times a day, then freeze left overs. I don't always use bacon & sausage in my chili either, kinda depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I like to try different things sometimes.....

Texas Chili [Re: CenTex] #3943315 01/12/13 04:19 AM
S
Scurvy Dog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Texas Chili from scratch!
Through the years many well meaning folks have tried their level best to define Texas Chili. During the heyday of chili cooking competitions, CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) required contestants to create a stew of meat and gravy only. Fillers would disqualify you. Some so called purist would be outright mean about the whole bean and chili debate. Those same folks would be the first to open a can of tomato paste or tear into a pre-packaged commercial chili powder. I mean if you are going to claim to know Texas chili then you should know about chili peppers! Right? To this Texan, chili is a stew with a hearty meat and gravy. If you actually read the labels of some of the most popular brands of commercial chili powder they do not even mention the type of chili peppers in the pre-packaged mix. Most of the pre-packaged chili powders have loads of salt and most have MSG and anti-caking agents like sodium aluminosilicate. Check it out for yourself. The sodium levels in pre-packaged powders and spices are off the charts! Texas style chili can be a healthful meal. One thing is for sure, scratch made Texas style chili is labor intensive. It’s a labor of love and nothing good comes easy.
I have heard many stories about the invention of Texas Chili. Many folks want to lay claim to the origin. Texas chili is an easy to prepare stew with indigenous ingredients and spices. Chili peppers, Comino (cumin) and cilantro bolita (coriander) have been part of the Meso-American culture for 1000’s of years. So, it would not be a stretch of the imagination to believe a cook, probably Mexican or Mayan, created a meat stew spiced with local peppers and rich with the flavor of Comino (cumin).
The word chili pepper can be referring to many varieties of peppers. I have been experimenting with many of the chili peppers I can buy here in Southeast Texas. Guajillo, ancho, arbol, jalapeno, Anaheim and piquin are all varieties of whole dried peppers readily available. The fact is you just have to try them to know what you like.
Most commercial chili powders do not even tell you the type of chili peppers they are using. I have tried most popular brands and they do a wonderful job, but unknown ingredients make you dependent on their particular brand to recreate a flavor. Drying chili peppers out in the oven is very cheap and easy. Pulverizing peppers in a blender is a breeze. Lightly roasting the whole coriander and Comino seeds in a black iron skillet is taking it to the next level. The smell of lightly roasted Comino seeds is excellent. After I roast the seeds I turn them to powder in a spice mill.
Because I wanted to create a Texas style chili without using any commercial ingredients I decided to use fresh tomatoes. I peeled and de-seeded 10 beautiful tomatoes and then I did a fine chop on them before adding them to the pot. In the past I always opened a can of Hunt’s or the like and never thought twice. The amount of sodium used in one small can of Hunt’s tomato paste should be against the law! I mean fast and easy used to be the way I rolled. To this day, the big winners at the 2 big chili cook-offs in Terlingua, Texas, use mostly commercial ingredients and pre-packaged foods. I wanted healthy and flavorful and you will not find that with pre-packaged ingredients.
Ingredients:
4 pounds of buffalo meat (sirloin cut into cubes)
1 pound homemade pork pan sausage
2 large yellow onions
15 ounces beef broth or as needed for desired texture
10 medium homegrown tomatoes
1 whole fresh pod of garlic (very finely chopped)
1 tbs chipotle chili powder
2 tbs arbol chili powder
1 tbs guajillo chili powder
2 tbs fresh cracked black peppercorns
2 tbs coriander powder
3 tbs comino (cumin) powder
2 tbs Mexican oregano
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs granulated garlic
2 tbs sea salt

Last edited by Scurvy Dog; 01/12/13 01:16 PM.
Re: Texas Chili [Re: Scurvy Dog] #3943830 01/12/13 02:39 PM
C
curt o Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I don't have a recipe for any thing I cook, just dig in snd start, always good, never the same. That said, I watched a frirnd make chili at a deer camp NYE, he is an early '60's Bohonk raise in south Texas. Nothing canned was used and there were no tomatoes involved. It was very much like a good chili/carne gravey as would be put over enchiladas, it was excellent over fresh tamsles!

While I can not write out how he did it one thing stood out that I hsd never before seen done. He seasoned his meat in a bowl, then dumped in flour and hand mixed to coat the meat. He then put in a skillet to brown and added chili powder and browned. He ststed you must brown chili powder and the flour makes the gravy.

It was quite simple incredible.

Patience is the key
Re: Texas Chili [Re: curt o] #4018003 02/02/13 09:32 PM
R
rick13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Several good recipes going to have to print them out so I can try them out.

Life is a drawing without an eraser!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide