Print Thread
Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! #3957 09/30/04 04:53 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
If anyone if looking for a fun place to take some family and friends for a hunt with guarenteed shooting, check out The Ringneck Ranch. http://www.ringneckranch.net We went there two years ago and had a blast. No, we didn't shoot wild pheasant for the most part but we shot a lot of birds. Five of us got 75 birds in 1 1/2 days. Only about 5 birds got away from us but we had some really good shooters. It only costs about $325 to $350 (price back then) a day and that included lodging in a nice lodge, all meals (3 a day) and snacks, and guides with three german short hairs. It was only an 8 to 9 hour drive from Dallas. The main house/lodge is large and has a basement with a pool table, TV, VCR, poker table, bar for your drinks, and fridge. There is another lodge right there that sleeps about 40. There is even a runway as the owner is a pilot for American. We hunted 8 am to 10 am and then got a break at at real fire with snacks and coffee and then hunted till lunch. Lunch is fully cooked and served in the lodge. Got a break in the afternoon with snacks and drinks. Dinner is incredible home cooked food. Just bring your own alcohol.

You don't need a Kansas license (just a $12 controlled license then) to shoot pheasant there. If you shoot other birds, you will need an out of state license. We hunted fields, draws, CRP, and woods. You will receive the same number of birds you killed in individual packed vacuum packs when you leave.

I thought I would just throw this out there if anyone is looking for an incredibly run operation at a good price (compared to prices in Texas for a quail hunt). They even called me the next year to see if we wanted our same dates because the KU Alumni wanted to book the same weekend we had the year before. I have seen three shows on TV at this same place. We haven't been back since we try to go new places every year plus we are deer hunting on a lease now and our money goes there.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Txduckman] #3958 09/30/04 12:31 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Not really into shooting pen raised birds, not much sport in that IMHO. But good luck!

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: TexasHeat] #3959 10/01/04 04:20 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Good luck with what??? Come on man, as hunters we know pen raised birds aren't as sporty as wild ones (that was not what the post was about bro) but I posted this info saying that and for anyone who might be interesting in this type of place. Have you ever shot pen raised pheasants in the wild before? The pens up there are gigantic and the birds can fly all they want. Our guide said he raises 25,000 a year supplement his farming income. Also, the ranch has plenty of land to hunt wild birds but the drought was so bad back then you wouldn't have much luck unless you didn't mind killing 1 bird a day like my friend has for the past two years in Kansas (not every locale). Plus the out of state license costs more. It is just a fun place to go, kill some birds, hang out with good friends, see some incredible dog handling, and be taken care of every minute of the day. Our free places to hunt dove, ducks, and quail offer some of that but not all. My sister-in-law grew up on a 1,000 aces farm east of Plainview where they used to host wild pheasant hunts so maybe I'll get to try that sometime. Her uncle runs the farm now as her dad passed away in the field. They are raising so much corn out there near Plainview now that hopefully the pheasants will be good again. Need to kill the coyotes though. Good luck!

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Txduckman] #3960 10/15/04 06:55 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
What part of Kansas? I hunt in the S.E. Corner in Parsons Kansas and there are no Pheasants. Plenty of Geese though, just haven't been up to hunt them, too busy chasing tail....er, a, whitetail deer that is...

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: HighTechRedneck] #3961 10/20/04 12:43 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
We hunted just north of Tipton. It is in the middle of the state. I walked up on a bedded down deer in the thickets. I must have been about 20 feet from him. He looked at me and wondered what we were doing to him. Hunting the pheasant in the thick woods is challenging and fun.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Txduckman] #3962 10/21/04 02:31 AM
S
steelers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
The great thing about Kansas is that you can hunt pheasant just north of Wichita instead of having to go to western Kansas.

Unlike Texas, you can still go up to the farm house, knock on the door and 9 times out of ten get permission to hunt. Most likely you will probably get some good spots to go to and get your limit easily.

$350 to shoot pheasant.....wow!

Steelers

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: steelers] #3963 10/21/04 01:03 PM
J
JTA Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Steelers is right. I grew up North of Wichita and most times farmers will let you hunt their land. That's changing though. They're learning that they can supplement their shrinking incomes by leasing hunting rights. Some boys from Arkansas started leasing one of my old "honeyholes". Anyway, you can still find places to hunt for free.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: JTA] #3964 10/22/04 03:55 AM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Uhh... $350 includes, guide, dogs, license, food, lodging, drinks, and 6 birds. Where else can you get all of that in one place on a single ranch? I am sure driving around to farm houses in a state I have never been to with 5 guys is fun but I'll leave that up to someone else.

Why don't you start a thread on how to pheasant hunt for cheap. Where to go in Kansas, what farm to go to and ask if you can hunt for free and be guaranteed a limit, what town to stay in and where to eat.

I think most people know the point of my post is to provide info about an all inclusize hunting lodge to hunt pheasants out of state with no worries about anything except how much you will lose at poker at night.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Txduckman] #3965 10/23/04 03:38 AM
S
steelers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
txduckman,

It is really that simple. If you think I'm trying to poke at your comment than accept my apology.

I could give you a map and draw a 50 mile diameter circle around some of the best unknown pheasant hunting just 4 1/2-5 hours away. They even have places to eat at up there and sleep.

My reply was to the guys who can't afford the $350/day but want to go. There's always and option and sometimes it takes hoofin it a little but the payback is there.

Take Care,
Steelers

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Txduckman] #3966 11/10/04 02:29 AM
J
jwoolf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
We're leaving Friday morning to go to Kansas.

You don't really have to pay an outfitter to go though. Kansas has a program called WIHA. ( walk in hunting areas )( I'm sure most of you know already ) You can pay 73.00 for an annual out of state license and hunt the whole season and WIHA land is over 1 million acres this year.

If you're thinking of going, check this link:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/hunting/WIHA_Atlas/WIHA_Atlas.html

We're driving up Friday, staying over and hunting in Mitchell county, ( by tipton ) where there are alot of birds. Pheasant, quail and, prairie chicken season all open on this Saturday.

I've got the Beretta O/U oiled up and ready to go!!!!

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: jwoolf] #3967 11/16/04 05:47 PM
W
Wabbit_Slayer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I just got back from Kansas and I think the good ole boy method of just asking permission is over. There were 5 to 6 times more no hunting signs and stern no's this year than last year. It was not very good at all. There were a lot of WHA areas but good luck finding one that hasn't been hit 4 or 5 times already that day. The only good time to hunt one of those is the first thing in the morning when you were the first ones there that day. Our trip was a disaster so to speak. We had a good size group but they seemed more interested in staying out late at bars and waking up late and quitting hunting at 11 or so to start their daily drinking ritiual. out of 18 or so guys there were 5 of us left after lunch every day. It is hard to block and walk fields with 5 guys. I am going to have to find new hunting buddies next year.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Wabbit_Slayer] #3968 11/17/04 02:53 AM
S
steelers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Wabbit Slayer,

Let me know if you are going back this season and I can put in some areas that will produce. Don;'t bring any of your drinkin buddies though. My dad has a great place and is always looking for guys to help hunt it.

He's retired and either is training dogs or huting everyday of the season. He likes it when it is about 20 degrees and the snot is freezing!

Steelers

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: steelers] #3969 11/17/04 03:10 AM
F
Fishag04 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I went on my first pheasant hunt last weekend in Kansas as well. It was a blast! We hunted in three different counties that are west of Witchita and there were birds all over the place. We are thinking of going back but have heard that the hunting gets poor after the first of the season. What has been ya'lls experience?

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Fishag04] #3970 11/17/04 03:46 PM
J
jwoolf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Well, We hunted KS ( see my above post ) and, I had the same group of guys. LOL There were 5 of us and, we hunted Saturday and on sunday. We had to duct tape one's feet, one stepped in a hole and pulled a tendon and the others were just too "tired" to continue past 8:00am Sunday.

The good news was that on Saturday I had my limit by 8:15am. I didn't stop hunting because we were just going to keep hunting till we got 20 birds.

It was fun but, my experience was the same... lots of no hunting signs where there weren't WIHA signs. The WIHA land had a lot of pressure on it Saturday and there weren't hardly any birds in it on Sunday.

I would love to hunt there more but, I am afraid the public stuff had been shot out for this year.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: jwoolf] #3971 11/22/04 02:37 AM
S
steelers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
jwoolf,

Wait until the cold keeps all of the pilgrims in bed! I agree the pressure is extreme the first couple of weekends. If you can handle the cold it is worth it.

Did you try to get permission on those no hunting signs? Most of the time all the land owner wants is for people to ask. They deal with a lot of guys throughout the season that don't show them any respect for being a landowner. I've always, or try to, give them some cash when they let me hunt. I also send them a Thanksgiving and Christmas card. You also would be amazed of the response when you offer a couple of cleaned pheasants! The simple things still work! Good luck!

Steelers

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: steelers] #3972 11/22/04 12:23 PM
O
okbound Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
Just got back from Kansas, had a great hunt.

Jwoolf,

I thought the limit was 4 cock birds per day, I did not know that there was a "Group Limit"

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: okbound] #3973 11/30/04 02:57 AM
J
jwoolf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
LOL I was going for the 16 bird possession limit.

After I got my limit, I started walking by the guys that didn't have any birds yet to make sure they got a clean first shot if a bird jumped up in front of me but, that didn't stop me from shooting. heheh

We didn't ask permission to hunt other fields but, next year, We may check out that option.

Overall, It was a blast.... Good friends, cigars, a lot of tall tails.

I'm trying to put together another hunt but, one of my buds just had a baby last week, another is going snowboarding another has to, of all things, harvest pecans for 2nd Sat in Dec. but, I'm bound and determined to do a hunt in Texas!

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: steelers] #3974 11/30/04 01:17 PM
D
Duck_Jerky Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Quote:

Wabbit Slayer,

Let me know if you are going back this season and I can put in some areas that will produce. Don;'t bring any of your drinkin buddies though. My dad has a great place and is always looking for guys to help hunt it.

He's retired and either is training dogs or huting everyday of the season. He likes it when it is about 20 degrees and the snot is freezing!

Steelers

Just sent you a PM...would love to get in on some pheasant hunting.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Duck_Jerky] #3975 12/01/04 06:22 PM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Hooker Ok, is another good spot to hunt for pheasant.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Duck_Jerky] #3976 12/01/04 06:52 PM
D
Diehls_Kennel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I am going the weekend of the 10th. Will be going up nw of Wichita is the plan. Any hints about that area.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: JohnWester] #3977 12/08/04 10:08 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Quote:

Hooker Ok, is another good spot to hunt for pheasant.

That's right. I grew up there, and the pheasant, quail, and deer hunting is hard to beat. Not too much competition still.

Re: Pheasant Hunts in Kansas - Fun!! [Re: Diehls_Kennel] #3978 12/08/04 11:09 PM
B
babyarm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

I am going the weekend of the 10th. Will be going up nw of Wichita is the plan. Any hints about that area.

We are also going this weekend. My first time. Maybe we could hook up? I hear the more the merrier when it comes to trying to flush up some birds.

24 hours in a day.
24 beers in a case.
Coincidence, I think not.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide