Print Thread
Switch from puppy food #3937122 01/10/13 03:14 PM
H
HardWired Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
I am looking for information, opinions, recommendations on switching from puppy food to adult. I assume the puppy has a higher calorie count.

I currently feed Authority, large breed puppy, chicken and rice. 2 cups twice a day.

Wyatt is just over a year old and is maintaining a healthy 63lbs, with nice coat, good stool.

We hunt 2-4 days a week. Hunting season coming to an end, calorie burn should go down, but we still work at least an hour a day. Current food bag almost gone.

Should we switch from puppy to adult now? Buy one more bag and wait for hunting season to end? Keep him on puppy for a while longer?

Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: HardWired] #3937502 01/10/13 04:41 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I switch from Puppy to adult food at about 10 months.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #3937580 01/10/13 05:00 PM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Switch to adult. Many puppy food says feed until they are a year old, but generally large breed puppies should go on adult food much younger. Adult food helps their joints mature and strengthen. You migt notice the puppy's front feet begin to turn out or other small structural issues while still on puppy food, and can often be strengthened once switched to adult, if switched soon enough.

Jenvy Brittanys & Show Handling
www.freewebs.com/jenvy
GCH Kountrytyme Mtn Of Fire N Ice CGC CA JH "Jenna"
CH Caliah Jenvy's Lake of Eden JH "Eden"

Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: JenvyBritts] #3937660 01/10/13 05:24 PM
C
Cypress Legend Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I have a 8 week old male that is 24 pounds on puppy food already. He is packing on weight! I plan on switching him at about 10 months.

Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: Cypress Legend] #3937748 01/10/13 05:54 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
Wyatt's brother Jack is 68lbs and I just switched this past week to adult food, 2 cups twice a day.

How's Wyatt been doing?

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: Ol_Yeller] #3955502 01/15/13 06:03 PM
H
HardWired Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Sorry so long to reply.

He's been doing great. He has over 100 retrieves this season and is absolutely nuts about hunting. Hunting season has taught him a great deal, but has also allowed him to get away with things he can't during training.

He has began to break, late in the season, so I have had him on a lead for the past week in the blind. He is as stable as could be in training, but watching the birds light in has become too much for him ( and I let him get away with it for a few hunts). One other bad habit that just developed is upon his arrival on land, he will drop bird, shake, then grab bird and return to hand. So that's something we need to correct.

The other thing we are working on is "back" actually meaning back on a straight line. He has been doing backs on a diagonal, which of course is a pain in the butt to cast to a blind bird. Other than that he is casting great out to around 50 yards, but beyond that he starts to hunt on his own and is slow to respond to the whistle or commands if he decides to. This has cost a couple of ducks this year when a blind bird is too far out from the spread, he will try and come back in and search the spread instead of listening to "back" and going out 20+ yards out of the spread.

Otherwise he has really become a true hunter, watching the skies, marking ducks decently, and is becoming a master at staying with a diving cripple.

He is the best family dog I could have ever asked for and is absolutely ape crap for frisbee.

How is jack? I think someone on here got red also. Wonder how he is doing, and others from the litter too.

Re: Switch from puppy food [Re: HardWired] #3960511 01/16/13 09:22 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
O
Your description of Wyatt (love the name btw) fits Jack to a tee. He is really coming into his own w/the whole duck hunting experience. You've got probably twice the retrieves, but this drought has really made hunting tough...access, birds, etc.

I've been a bit lax w/his staying by my side the whole time, but I really want him to enjoy the time out. Little by little I tighten his butt up and it seems to be working well.

We sure agree w/you on being a great family dog, we just love the 'little' guy!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide