Forums46
Topics539,643
Posts9,752,116
Members87,173
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: NTX_Hunter] #3951133 01/14/13 05:47 PM
Y
Yassir Sanchez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
I hope there is a special level of hell for people who pull stunts like "throwing a 30 gallon bag of ducks" away.

Absolutley shameless to treat one of God's creatures that way.

And to me there IS a difference between a coyote and a duck.

*8th Generation Native Texan
*Kids are 9th Generation
*Grandson is 10th Generation
*Descendant of veterans of War of Yankee Aggression and War of Texas Indenpendence
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Yassir Sanchez] #3951210 01/14/13 06:08 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez
I hope there is a special level of hell for people who pull stunts like "throwing a 30 gallon bag of ducks" away.

Absolutley shameless to treat one of God's creatures that way.

And to me there IS a difference between a coyote and a duck.

The last 2 statements kind of contradict one another, but I agree. It just seemed like a pertinent question to the subject.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Ben Lilly] #3951246 01/14/13 06:17 PM
F
FowledUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I love the hunt, eating them is what I have to do, so I dont feel guilty about the hunt. I respect the hunting of them to much to waste them.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: FowledUp] #3951297 01/14/13 06:31 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You guys that can't make duck taste good suck at cooking.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: kdub] #3951416 01/14/13 07:02 PM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: kdub] #3951422 01/14/13 07:03 PM
NTX_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kdub

for me it has nothing to do with taste, it's the texture i can't stand.

Originally Posted By: HillCountryHotRodMan
Sometimes a little self-therapy is good for the soul... getting out to mother nature, finding peace in reading a good book, re-learning how to take care of yourself.
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Roc] #3951491 01/14/13 07:21 PM
S
southwind Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I started hunting about 25 yrs. ago couldnt stand the taste of duck or goose and would give all my birds to my hunting buddy until I learned how to cook them (cut each breast half into three chunks on big birds and two on smaller sprinkle fiesta brand fajita seasoning on them let marinate 24 hrs. then cut a onion into quarters place a chunk of duck in the onion slice then a good slice of jalapeno then duck then another qaurter slice of onion to cap it off wrap in bacon and cook on a hot mesquite grille just dont over cook when the bacon is done pull em off try it I think you will be suprised

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: southwind] #3951646 01/14/13 08:03 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I'm making duck gumbo as we speak...you gotta get creative. I enjoy my hunts long after they are over. We love talking about the hunt we are currently eating. Good times.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Ben Lilly] #3951659 01/14/13 08:08 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I give some away and eat the others. I like it when it's cooked right. Problem is I don't cook it right half the time. I can normally tell first bite if I overcooked it.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Marcstar] #3951728 01/14/13 08:26 PM
N
newtexan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
My first duck hunt is coming up this weekend, and I can tell you I am getting into it primarily because I love being outdoors, and hunting is something I've always wanted to take up.

I have never had duck that someone hunted, but I guarantee if I get any, I will keep them and try a few different recipes. Even if I end up hating them but love the trip, I will give them away. They will never end up wasted on the side of the road, that's for sure.

That said, how much meat do you usually get from a duck, and can anyone point me in the direction of some good recipes in case I get lucky this weekend?

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: newtexan] #3951761 01/14/13 08:34 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
How is it that "nobody likes duck" but yall always seem to find someone to give them to?
I'm calling b.s. on the giving the meat away.

The garbage man doesn't count.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: kdub] #3951832 01/14/13 08:47 PM
S
SweetTea Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Preach on kdub!

OMG, this is the best slumber party ever!
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: kdub] #3951852 01/14/13 08:51 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm a new duck hunter and I purely do it to be able to shoot them. I just leave the birds floating for the turtles and fish. That's my right

Just kidding, I will be eating my first duck here soon! Tips and recipes bring them on!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: NTX_Hunter] #3952026 01/14/13 09:34 PM
G
Gill_97 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: NTX_Hunter

for me it has nothing to do with taste, it's the texture i can't stand.

get it made into sausage

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: kdub] #3952030 01/14/13 09:35 PM
G
Gill_97 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G

egg zachary

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Gill_97] #3952097 01/14/13 09:54 PM
L
lonestar45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Ducks taste great. Some are better than others, but as many have said there is plenty of ways to mask the supposed wild game taste people don't like. Duck gumbo is one of the best.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: lonestar45] #3952461 01/14/13 11:21 PM
B
Borane4 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
KDub - Agree with you. My first year in TX I didnt know any better and went with a local dipchit guide well known for scheduling like 30 people every morning. The other hunters in the group walked away without their ducks - a few even drove off as we were picking up decoys. A GW showed up (a mile off the road and through a locked gate!) to check tags and plugs and generally harass the dipchit guide. Luckily, he ran into the guys before they got back to the road and checked them or we would have been 12 over. He told me it was fine I took home all the ducks, then he wrote another guy a ticket for some violation. There were a LOT of ducks.

Here is my latest favorite duck recipe - works for mallard and teal too...

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/11/canvasback-king-of-ducks/

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Borane4] #3952901 01/15/13 01:15 AM
P
PastorIke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I tell everybody that all game animals have to be processed correctly too. Whole bird or just breasted out, I always soak my duck in a salt water brine in the fridge for a day or two before vaccum sealing them and putting them in the freezer. It draws alot of the irony/gamey taste out of the meat and makes it a better texture when grilled or roasted. Everyone one in my house (including the picky eating 6 and 2 yr olds) love the duck. I also do my deer meat that way (even though most people say that meat should never come into contact with water)...Ive done this for years and I've swayed many a people who say they hate game animal meat...starts in how you process it...thats why I refuse to take my deer or any other animal to the processor...I know what happened to it from field to table

If we aren't supposed to eat the animals, then why did God make them out of meat?
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Borane4] #3952919 01/15/13 01:21 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Aunt Saro's recipe

Boil 4 ducks with tablespoon or two of Tony Chachere’s seasoning and 4 bay leaves in a large pot until the meat will pull off of the carcass. Keep that stock in that pot and set it aside. Set the duck meat to the side as well.

In a large frying pan cook about a pound of bacon until it is crispy. Chop the bacon and set it aside.

On medium heat make your roux. Add a stick of butter to the bacon grease. While stirring with a spatula, never letting the grease sit still, sprinkle in flour. Keep adding in flour until you get the consistency syrup. (Thank the old Cajun dude for this one) Take a jar of peanut butter and hold it in your left hand if you are right handed. Stir with your right hand and stop stirring when the roux looks the same color as the jar of peanut butter. It is important to keep stirring. If it burns start over.

Cut up the Trinity (For you yanks on here that is onion, bell pepper and celery). Sauté them with a stick of butter, a heaping tablespoon of garlic and the chopped bacon. Don’t turn them to mush. Cook them on high heat, stirring constantly, until they start to release and take them off the heat.
In the final pot you add the roux, the duck meat and the trinity. Add 2 quarts of chicken broth and the duck meat stock. Stir often and keep on low heat until you are ready to eat. If you want okra throw it in. Anything you like, throw it in. When serving add file over the top if you like file. I don’t like gumbo without it.

I eat gumbo over white rice.
I don’t eat instant rice. “Instant” is part of what is wrong with this country. Bobby Dennison, God rest him, taught me how to make perfect rice every time. 2 parts water for every 1 part rice. That means if you fill a coffee cup with rice you will need two coffee cups of water. It could be a bucket for that matter as long as there is twice the amount of water as there is rice.

In a pot with a tight fitting lid add the 2 parts water with your desired amount of salt. On high heat bring the water to a boil then add the rice and stir it until it begins to boil again. As soon as it starts to boil turn it to low and put the lid on. Exactly 19 minutes later your rice will be perfect. You have to stand next to the pot and be ready to slap the first guy that wants to lift the lid. It has to stay on for the entire 19 minutes without somebody “Checking it”. On the 19 minute mark turn the heat off and throw in a stick of butter and put the lid back on. 4 minutes later you can fluff it with a fork and it is ready to serve.

Hope you like it fellas.

...or stuff breast with cream cheese and japs then wrap it in bacon (marinate the duck in 1 parts ketchup, 2 parts Italian dressing and 3 parts soy sauce overnight). Honestly, a cat turd would be alright if you did the same. I had the gumbo tonight and it was incredible. Thanks WAL1809!!

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: PastorIke] #3952920 01/15/13 01:21 AM
S
Skybuster05 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I eat every duck I kill, just have to cook em a little different. Spoonies done correctly they taste good. Heck, I know some guys who won't touch a duck I bring what ever is offered home. when in doubt marinate in BBQ sauce and fry it up. Duck fritters last about 15 min in my house

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: PastorIke] #3952940 01/15/13 01:25 AM
P
PastorIke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Here is my favorite way to cook duck...

-wash the breast off
-use a filet knife to butter fly the breast
-put a slice of onion on one side of the inner part of the breast
-sprinkle breast with poultry seasoning and garlic salt
-roll the breast as tight as you can
-wrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks
-sprinkle outside with poultry seasoning, garlic salt and Tony Cachere's
-put pecan wood (if you have it) in between the grill burners furthest away from where you are gonna cook
-turn pecan side to High and the side you are gonna cook on to Med
-give the grill about 10 minutes to get hot and the wood to smoke a little (sometimes you can pour a little water over it to help)
-cook duck to desired doneness (I shoot for Med Well but some like it bloodier)
-eat and devour

(p.s. the two chicken breast I cooked were a "just in case the 2 yr old didnt like it...didn't have to use them)

If we aren't supposed to eat the animals, then why did God make them out of meat?
Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: PastorIke] #3952985 01/15/13 01:34 AM
P
PastorIke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
another side note: when I cut the breast out, I soak them in a saltwater brine in the fridge for a day or two rinsing them as the blood draws out of them...makes the taste nongamey and makes the breast plump up a little too

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: PastorIke] #3953091 01/15/13 02:01 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I dont understand why people put there guts in a trash bag at all. Makes no sense to me. Find a feild or pasture and toss them out on a fenceline of something where a coyote will have them gone overnight. Nobody should have to handle your guts. Plus they stink and make a mess when they sit for more than a day.

Every hunter should own a gut bucket and have a gut pile somewhere nearby where they clean game.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: wal1809] #3953108 01/15/13 02:05 AM
R
Roc Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Yes but the next morning of hunting the yotes, buzzards or coons destroyed it all. Just a partial bag and feathers left.

Re: Wondering about new duck hunters [Re: Roc] #3953129 01/15/13 02:11 AM
R
Roc Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Thanks for the posts. Fortunately for me my wife loves duck. I learned to brin and cook it just enough to be warm center and its like steak. Glad to see so many hunters eat their kill or give to someone who will.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide